ADVERTISEMENT

Duke is going to be tough to beat next year

Completely agree. I'll add that for quite a while, K and Duke was chasing Dean and the Holes. I'm only speaking for my time as a Duke fan, but their fans were horrible during the late 80's and 90's. They have been slightly knocked back due to Duke's success, but living around them requires patience, and they're still bad.
You are safe nowhere from the constant back and forth. You pray you beat them, and go farther than them in the tournament. You don't run your mouth too much unless you can take it. The Holes clothing shines the day after they beat us, or if they win it all, like in 17. So yes, that makes a fella a little butt hurt. The "what's wrong with Rat Face? Can't he win with a team of future pro players?"
"Allen is a sorry pos." "South Carolina spanked your boys." The same year they won it. So ya think living in Ohio or wherever was as bad if you're a die hard Duke fan? Then they took 2 out of 3 this past season.

You get laughed at if you say how many lottery picks we have. They simply say "How did that work out for Duke?" As they stand there in their 2017 NCAA championship shirt.

Once again, it doesn't mean a NC resident is a better fan, but all this butt hurt on years we don't win it goes back to the rivalry. Living here it's all centered around two schools 8 miles apart.
You can’t take the heat from heel fans so you decide to passive aggressively bash our oad players every chance you get? Lots of us live here, that’s no excuse. If you don’t like the way things are going now then go join them.

Reactions: jwill133
You can’t take the heat from heel fans so you decide to passive aggressively bash our oad players every chance you get? Lots of us live here, that’s no excuse. If you don’t like the way things are going now then go join them.

He's never "bashed" any of OUR "OAD PLAYERS." Hes simply been extremely cautious and preached patience in hyping them up TOO MUCH before they EVER play a COLLEGIATE game together.

Mac would NEVER join the Tarhole contingent! Hes followed the Devils since the very early days of K and his dad loves em as well. I've followed our boys from Durham 50+ years and I know a TRUE DUKE fan! I've been hyped up and talked a little smack to Hole fans last couple years getting caught up in the hype, and feel like we came up short of Duke expectations.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited for the upcoming season! I am simply not going to blow my horn too early this year. Besides I am pretty excited for Duke Football first!

OFC

Reactions: Liftee
Anyone, and I mean anyone that thinks I bash our one and dones don't know the difference between a sneeze and a wet fart.
The only one I haven't been crazy about was Rivers.
Reading comprehension for quite a few on here, and I mean quite a few, will go a long way.

Ready, Fire, Aim!!!!

I'd caution those who fear this board is becoming like THR to take a long look in the mirror (and reread your posts) and make sure you are comfortable with your contributions to situation. Because I'd hate to be the equivalent on here of Gary or Steat.

Reactions: dukiejay
So here we have it. A poster who has been around for 3 or so months and has 10 posts, but nonetheless feels qualified to criticize a long-time contributor to this board whose support for all of our players has never been seriously questioned. It would be pretty hard to comment upon a Duke player who was not OAD, given that 90% of our starters for the last 2-3 years were OAD's. Concluding Mac9192 was castigating OAD's under such circumstances is illogical and wrong. He was commenting upon players, who also just happened to be OAD. Who else, besides Jason, was there to comment upon who was not OAD? Labelling commentary as "bashing" is not only false but disingenuous. Also, after only 10 posts on this board, you hardly qualify as one of "us". Every one of "us" on this board has a right to express opinions on a player's performance and to point out situations where a single player has been unjustifiably blamed as the cause of a loss when others should rightfully share the blame. Like Mac 9192, I also question whether total reliance on OAD's is the best way to structure the team. That does not mean that I do not support totally every one of the kids on the team.

So here we have it. A poster who has been around for 3 or so months and has 10 posts, but nonetheless feels qualified to criticize a long-time contributor to this board whose support for all of our players has never been seriously questioned. It would be pretty hard to comment upon a Duke player who was not OAD, given that 90% of our starters for the last 2-3 years were OAD's. Concluding Mac9192 was castigating OAD's under such circumstances is illogical and wrong. He was commenting upon players, who also just happened to be OAD. Who else, besides Jason, was there to comment upon who was not OAD? Labelling commentary as "bashing" is not only false but disingenuous. Also, after only 10 posts on this board, you hardly qualify as one of "us". Every one of "us" on this board has a right to express opinions on a player's performance and to point out situations where a single player has been unjustifiably blamed as the cause of a loss when others should rightfully share the blame. Like Mac 9192, I also question whether total reliance on OAD's is the best way to structure the team. That does not mean that I do not support totally every one of the kids on the team.
Oh give it up on the new poster thing. I’ve been reading this board forever, lost my original handle and this was created. There’s lots who read frequently but never post. And he absolutely harps on MB3 every chance he gets. The consistent negativity about it by a few here is tiring. It’s a game, and we’re going to have a really exciting team next year, relax and enjoy it!

Eloquently stated my friend....

OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
To many posters on here falling for the hype. Last 2 season's most talent , not even acc championship,much less ncaa championship. Last 2 seasons for the duke fans I know have been big disappointment,for me to. Just pray we live up to the hype and get number 6.

Oh give it up on the new poster thing. I’ve been reading this board forever, lost my original handle and this was created. There’s lots who read frequently but never post. And he absolutely harps on MB3 every chance he gets. The consistent negativity about it by a few here is tiring. It’s a game, and we’re going to have a really exciting team next year, relax and enjoy it!

You're going to get called out when your first post regarding Duke on this board is to call a long time poster an asshole. If you want people to accept you, you might want to try a different approach.

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/bags-cyborg-eye.10855181/#post-11218017

If you were believable and worth fact-checking, I'd do it. But..nah.

Fact check what? I’m not the only one that’s called him and others out. Good to see some fire out of you boys though!
Yeah we do some debating and bickering over here. Glad that makes you happy. Quite a few of us that are passionate. We are a diverse group.
Have a good day Redstate.

I guess I'm one of the few fans on here it seems that truly enjoys each and every season. I can't wait for the season to get here. I'm thankful to have Coach K killing it on the recruiting trail. It wasn't long ago that people were complaining how we couldn't get a big man. We're just a spoiled fan base thanks to th G.O.A.T! Oh yeah "Go to hell Carolina, GTH!

You win as a team and you lose as a team. We didn't lose because of Grayson, or Marvin, or Gary, or Trevon, or Wendell....or anyone else for that matter.

Look at it this way....Wendell air-balled a five-footer in the last minute, Trevon gambled and it cost us, Marvin had a bad turnover late and Grayson and Gary couldn't throw it in the ocean. Everyone played a part in the loss, and all of them would have played a huge part in a win. That's sports. If the foreign kid from KU misses the open three or if Grayson's shot drops to win it....then guess what? No one is talking about any of those things. Rarely do fans over-analyze wins, but it's like a national pastime with losses.

Lastly, if people don't enjoy Duke basketball or haven't enjoyed the last two season's....then why in the hell watch? We actually have people saying they don't enjoy it and then bitching at the same time. That's fine and dandy, but then why put yourself through it? Seems foolish.

Last edited:
I don't understand ,the past month has been a complete drudgefest of who we can blame for not winning a damn championship. I keep waiting for the "move on" part and get excited about the upcoming season but even that seems to be forbidden lately. It's frigging incredible.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
I don't understand ,the past month has been a complete drudgefest of who we can blame for not winning a damn championship. I keep waiting for the "move on" part and get excited about the upcoming season but even that seems to be forbidden lately. It's frigging incredible.

Thats the beauty of the IGNORE button ol buddy.....

OFC

Reactions: sgrooms
Well , you hit it. I prefer to work through it myself. Things have a way of healing themselves around here anyway, always have.

Anyone, and I mean anyone that thinks I bash our one and dones don't know the difference between a sneeze and a wet fart.
The only one I haven't been crazy about was Rivers.
Reading comprehension for quite a few on here, and I mean quite a few, will go a long way.

Ready, Fire, Aim!!!!
Really

First off: I don't have the antipathy for you all that most UK fans do. That's reserved for UNCheat, and always has been, since the days The Phoniest Man in Sports (Smith) soiled their sidelines. I hate them- and their unctuous, sanctimonious followers- with the intensity of 10,000 white-hot suns. I'm sure most of you would agree.

That said, the BBN is gonna pack Bankers Life Fieldhouse with about 15,000 fanatics and just whip your asses on Nov. 6th. Sorry, but it's gonna happen, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

No hard feelings beyond that. See ya later.
Ahh...the in denial uk fan! Got to love em...
Nothing says “has been program” like uk. All that talent, coupled with one of the worst in game coaches in college basketball, has produced one NC in the past 20 years! uk is less relevant than UConn.
Don’t worry son, uk will fail to live up to their preseason ranking, again. It’ll be fun...

You win as a team and you lose as a team. We didn't lose because of Grayson, or Marvin, or Gary, or Trevon, or Wendell....or anyone else for that matter.

Look at it this way....Wendell air-balled a five-footer in the last minute, Trevon gambled and it cost us, Marvin had a bad turnover late and Grayson and Gary couldn't throw it in the ocean. Everyone played a part in the loss, and all of them would have played a huge part in a win. That's sports. If the foreign kid from KU misses the open three or if Grayson's shot drops to win it....then guess what? No one is talking about any of those things. Rarely do fans over-analyze wins, but it's like a national pastime with losses.

Lastly, if people don't enjoy Duke basketball or haven't enjoyed the last two season's....then why in the hell watch? We actually have people saying they don't enjoy it and then bitching at the same time. That's fine and dandy, but then why put yourself through it? Seems foolish.

Fair enough, but for the sake of clarity one would have to list each of the shooters' wide open misses, separately, to underscore severity.
Yes, teams win or lose as a team. In the KU game, each of Marvin, Trevon, and Carter had mind blowingly stupid mistakes, at key junctures. But each one had only 1 such mistake.
The two shooters were ice cold and continued to shoot them. To equate one foolish defensive gamble, one blown bunny, or one stupid TO with an entire game of futility is, imo, a specious argument.
No one is saying that any 1 person is solely responsible. But some folks are more to blame than other folks WRT team success.
No one would say that Vrank had as much to do with the team's lack of success as did Marvin, correct?
If one guy has a bad play, that is one thing. If one guy has a bad game, it is something else.

Nothing says “has been program” like uk. All that talent, coupled with one of the worst in game coaches in college basketball, has produced one NC in the past 20 years! uk is less relevant than UConn.
Don’t worry son, uk will fail to live up to their preseason ranking, again. It’ll be fun...

He still has "the refs cheated" to fall back on

Reactions: tomcurren
Fair enough, but for the sake of clarity one would have to list each of the shooters' wide open misses, separately, to underscore severity.
Yes, teams win or lose as a team. In the KU game, each of Marvin, Trevon, and Carter had mind blowingly stupid mistakes, at key junctures. But each one had only 1 such mistake.
The two shooters were ice cold and continued to shoot them. To equate one foolish defensive gamble, one blown bunny, or one stupid TO with an entire game of futility is, imo, a specious argument.
No one is saying that any 1 person is solely responsible. But some folks are more to blame than other folks WRT team success.
No one would say that Vrank had as much to do with the team's lack of success as did Marvin, correct?
If one guy has a bad play, that is one thing. If one guy has a bad game, it is something else.

I think most of that goes without saying. But you still win and lose as a team. Guys are going to have bad nights. Unfortunately, that's just reality.

Pinpointing any loss on just one, or even two players, undermines a team. Grayson and Gary would be the first to tell you it's not their proudest moment or game. They struggled. But even still, Grayson had a shot that touched every part of the rim to send us to the Final Four. He makes it and it firmly cements his status as one of the Duke all-time greats and a 2,000-point scorer. As for Gary, I wish he hadn't settled for the outside shot. His mid-range game was outstanding that day. In fact, with Trevon, they kept us in it. Gary was 5-for-8 inside the arc.

Players are always going to miss shots and make mistakes. For the most part, Duke survived that....we couldn't survive poor execution the last two minutes of regulation.

I think most of that goes without saying. But you still win and lose as a team. Guys are going to have bad nights. Unfortunately, that's just reality.

Pinpointing any loss on just one, or even two players, undermines a team. Grayson and Gary would be the first to tell you it's not their proudest moment or game. They struggled. But even still, Grayson had a shot that touched every part of the rim to send us to the Final Four. He makes it and it firmly cements his status as one of the Duke all-time greats and a 2,000-point scorer. As for Gary, I wish he hadn't settled for the outside shot. His mid-range game was outstanding that day. In fact, with Trevon, they kept us in it. Gary was 5-for-8 inside the arc.

Players are always going to miss shots and make mistakes. For the most part, Duke survived that....we couldn't survive poor execution the last two minutes of regulation.

My point was less about the information in your post (or your posts in general), and more about what I see as false equivalencies some posters use in their arguments. A lot of posters use these false equivalencies to attack (or defend) various players, especially the OAD system at large, and the individual players.
I got chased off a nameless other board for pointing out that certain players had disappointing seasons, and I'm not going to just throw my hands up and say "there were many failures."
Some failures were greater than other failures, and I'm going to hold this fanbase to a higher standard and expect, nay, demand, a more nuanced and intelligent discussion. I don't like playing favorites. I was a huge TD fan this past year, but I was more than willing to point out his failures. No one gets to shield his or her favorites from valid evaluations.

Our loss to Kansas wasn't just because of outside shooting and a couple of isolated plsys. It was because we missed the shots given to us by the defensive scheme (outside shots) which was designed to limit our inside game. Kansas picked their poison and won with that strategy. Trevons good game almost negated that strategy. We still jad a great chance at the end. Cant ask for much more. Bottom line, if Grayson and Gary both stink from outside, we are not a really good team in the first place. They had to and should have taken the vast majority of those open shots within the offense. I do agree with DJ in that I would have liked Trent to try a little more mid range game, but that does not mean that KU was just going to give us that.

I was a broken record all year long on what our biggest weaknesses were and at the top of that list was giving up too many offensive boards. They had 17 many of them gifts that lead them to way too many second chance opportunities. Those are killer. It cost us and even so we had the call with under a min and the lead. There are unfortunately a million things we can point too but the outside shooting is hardly the only one- not that Patrick is saying that, but in general.

There are unfortunately a million things we can point too but the outside shooting is hardly the only one- not that Patrick is saying that, but in general.
He is blaming it on Allen. He has been consistent in blaming his poor shooting on why Duke didn't advance past Kansas.
Where he has on the blinders is all the other areas that we stunk in. It's horrible that we got beat on the boards by 18, and equally as bad that our "generational talent" had 0 fouls in 44 of the 45 minutes we played, where the other big of ours fouled out.
Allen shot terrible that game, as he unfortunately shot worse than a lot of us wanted him to in other games too. But I will defend Allen's overall play. To this day, I'll say if not for his knowledge on defense, we would have been even worse.
I would have sit Grayson down a few minutes, along with Bagley and Trent, and played O'Connell more than 2 minutes. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Last edited:
He is blaming it on Allen. He has been consistent in blaming his poor shooting on why Duke didn't advance past Kansas.
Where he has on the blinders is all the other areas that we stunk in. It's horrible that we got beat on the boards by 18, and equally as bad that our "generational talent" had 0 fouls in 44 of the 45 minutes we played, where the other big of ours fouled out.
Allen shot terrible that game, as he unfortunately shot worse than a lot of us wanted him to in other games too. But I will defend Allen's overall play. To this day, I'll say if not for his knowledge on defense, we would have been even worse.
I would have sit Grayson down a few minutes, along with Bagley and Trent, and played O'Connell more than 2 minutes. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I don't have blinders on about the other stuff. I'm just tired of people acting like one or two bad plays, or missed shots, is the equivalent of horrific outside missing (can't really call it shooting).
The outside shooting wasn't the SOLE reason we lost. I've never argued that, but people like to claim that is what I've argued in an order to delegitimize my argument. But if you are going to WEIGHT the reasons we lost to KU, Allen and Trent's outside shooting is close to 80% why we lost. Sure, the bigs could have rebounded better, which I would say is the second biggest reason we lost. Third would basically be a tie between TD's defensive mind fart, WC's missed bunny, and Bag's stupid TO.
Allen hit one 3 late in OT, after the game was basically decided. Meaning that he was 1-8 up until then, on top of Trent's monster 2-10 performance. So that is 3-18 while the game was in doubt. That is 1 out of 6, for less than 20% shooting. Why do people act like SINGULAR plays by TD, or WC, or Bags are the same as game long shooting failures. Because it isn't like all those attempts were closely guarded. Late in the game, Trent and Allen were as open as any even-mediocre college level shooter will ever be. I tend to blame Allen a little more because he was the senior, so I expected more of him.
3 out of 18 from 3.

I don't have blinders on about the other stuff. I'm just tired of people acting like one or two bad plays, or missed shots, is the equivalent of horrific outside missing (can't really call it shooting).
The outside shooting wasn't the SOLE reason we lost. I've never argued that, but people like to claim that is what I've argued in an order to delegitimize my argument. But if you are going to WEIGHT the reasons we lost to KU, Allen and Trent's outside shooting is close to 80% why we lost. Sure, the bigs could have rebounded better, which I would say is the second biggest reason we lost. Third would basically be a tie between TD's defensive mind fart, WC's missed bunny, and Bag's stupid TO.
Allen hit one 3 late in OT, after the game was basically decided. Meaning that he was 1-8 up until then, on top of Trent's monster 2-10 performance. So that is 3-18 while the game was in doubt. That is 1 out of 6, for less than 20% shooting. Why do people act like SINGULAR plays by TD, or WC, or Bags are the same as game long shooting failures. Because it isn't like all those attempts were closely guarded. Late in the game, Trent and Allen were as open as any even-mediocre college level shooter will ever be. I tend to blame Allen a little more because he was the senior, so I expected more of him.
3 out of 18 from 3.
One or two plays didn't beat Duke. Allen shot really bad. Trent was just as bad shooting the three. No one denies that.
Where some, and you are one of the some, is other areas and players. No rational Duke fan should say it's ok that our best player had zero fouls. Zero in 44 of 45 minutes. That is a strong indicator of poor defense. Or getting outrebounded by 18.
K chose to play the guys he did, and it didn't pan out. The guys playing screwed the pooch. That is Allen and Trent on offense. Our team defense was atrocious.
I'm glad Allen is gone. The kid had 1 1/2 seasons of good ball, mixed with his last two seasons of chaos. I wanted him to win because to this longtime fan, he gave Duke everything he had, and unfortunately, he came up short his senior season.

Reactions: hart2chesson
3 out of 18 from 3.

I guess I don't know how you weight something like that. It's true that those two guys shot poorly. It's true we got outrebounded by 18 to a completely inferior rebounding team. It's also true our end-of-game/end-of-regulation execution was abysmal. When you put those all together it's hard to win a basketball game, much less so against a quality opponent like Kansas. If we do just one better, it likely results in a different outcome.

Really. Just like Duke last year.

Most teams dream season is coming within a basket of the Final Four. To us it's a mild disappointment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT