ADVERTISEMENT

Duke has multiple closers on next season's roster

BlueDevilStop

Starter
Jun 8, 2020
Closing games should be a strength for Duke next season. A look at how this team could excel in late game situations plus an early prediction for Duke's closing lineup next season.
Who are the five you think we'll see at the end of games?

The upcoming group is gonna have a lot of depth, but also a whole lot of question marks. Unlike most Duke teams, I think this years is gonna be absolutely impossible to predict who will be closing, and I also think it could be matchup dependant. For example...Joey Baker isn't one of our most talented wings, but if he's making three's, he should probably be out there. What do we do about Goldwire if he isn't making shots?

My prediction on what our closing lineup will be come March......
Roach
Steward
Moore
Johnson
Hurt

Reactions: youngman42
I think Goldwire is on the court 20+ minutes a game, and I wouldn't discount him being in at the end of a tight game. He's a 2020 version of Matt Jones......senior, lock down defender who will hit a a few big shots for us, K loves his senior leaders and trusts them with the keys.

The rest? I have no clue. :)

Hurt's dad tweeted Matt's up to 240 now. He's gonna have a big year. Sorry I don't have the link but there's some workout video and he looks bigger.

Reactions: jwill133
I read somewhere that said Moore is around 218 too.

I think it will be interesting to see how the ht and wt for the players are updated.
Williams said hes 7-1 235
Coleman 6-8 245
DJ 6-3 175
Johnson said hes growing and he added strength as did Brakefield

Reactions: christophero
Hurt must know that the more weight he puts on and the stronger he gets, the more minutes he will play. If Mark Williams struggles some during the season (which probably will happen) there will be many center minutes available because Tape’ isn’t getting all of them.
Plus I think Jalen Johnson will be most lethal at the 4 when no one will be able to stay in front of him and he’s surrounded by shooters. And Wendell’s natural position is the 3.

I just hope there is a season at this point. With everything going on right now it would be nice to have some college bball.

Reactions: youngman42
I always had liked having a closer. I always thought the last great one we had was Nolan. For some reason I felt like he scored the bulk of his points in the second half of games. I have no idea if that's statistically accurate, but it felt that way.

Tyus had that quality in the postseason.

I'm hoping we have one of those guys in the upcoming season. Hurt seems like the logical prospect for that. I'm hoping Roach can develop that same quality.

The best closers we will have next year are the ones that will hit free throws especially in crunch time, Those free, uncontested shots that go through the nets are back breakers. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
I always had liked having a closer. I always thought the last great one we had was Nolan. For some reason I felt like he scored the bulk of his points in the second half of games. I have no idea if that's statistically accurate, but it felt that way.

Tyus had that quality in the postseason.

I'm hoping we have one of those guys in the upcoming season. Hurt seems like the logical prospect for that. I'm hoping Roach can develop that same quality.
Tyus is easily the best Duke closer this decade IMO. Obviously he had the huge postseason, but all the way back to the game at Wisconsin in December he hit a backbreaking 3. Combine the upset at UVA and when we came back to beat Carolina at home when he put us on his back and he’s the absolute man in crunch time.

I feel like Tatum was slowly developing the role of end of game killer, he showed it a lot in February and then he was amazing closing games in the ACC tournament....but didn’t get a chance in the NCAA’s.

I'd agree with that one. But, don't forget Singler. I thought he was money in that 2010 run, except for the game against Baylor. He was horrible on offense and we still won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT