ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

okay so now that we have 25 (yes thats right) verbals, what are we thinking we want to close out the class?
i am thinking we might be set on dl. we now have 3ea DT'S in simmons, anderson and boggs. we also have 3ea DE'S with turner, o'connor and aladuge.
LB'S might get one more since o'connor is going to be a DE. fyi, on3 just rated kendall johnson as an 89/borderline 4 star and luke mergott an 86 so solid 3 star. thats 3 out of 4 of the ratings services who really like our lb guys.
DB'S might get one more. we have 4 verbals but this seems to be a spot that gets a lot of turnover
QB'S i think we are set here but maybe a veteran transfer just for experience
RB'S between last years class and the pair this year i think we have the strongest group i have seen
TE'S think we might be set here but who knows? we have 5 now with one being a rjr. add 2 verbals so 6 next year?
WR'S maybe one more if he is highly rated or something we dont have
OL this is where i think one if not two more might happen but i think maybe we are hoping for homerun type kids

fyi please note that we have now got 4 kids out of virginia. cut got 1 in last 5 years so........

Last edited:
FYI the new roster is up on goduke.com and there were a few weight changes i like. i think our new strength and conditioning coaches are impacting the team already
dorian mausi LB increase from 210 to 225.
elijah wroton OG decrease from 330 to 315
maurice mcintyre OG decrease from 330 to 319
nicky dalmolin TE increase from 215 to 239
mandela tobin DT increase from 270 to 280
aeneas peebles DT increase from 275 to 288
all these changes are for the good in my mind. loving the new direction

so S j'marick woods to the transfer portal. i was excited when he transferred in but he really had small impact for his talent. oh well. i really do like the youth we have
Somewhat surprising this late in the off season I suppose. Seems we've been hit hardest in the secondary.

You're right surf, Woods really hasn't measured up to the hype surrounding his arrival in Durham. Perhaps he wanted some assurance about his playing status. Elko doesn't seem like the type to promise PT. I like that kind of coach!

OFC

A fine analysis. Plenty of playing time for multiple running backs, cornerbacks, and defensive end. The only position battle that really matters is quarterback . I don't think that Duke will have the luxury of playing multiple QBs in the early games

Ehh, agreed except for the last part. Temple and N.C. A&T will provide some proving ground. Temple has in common with Duke that it's a new coach coming off of 3-9. Not saying Duke will win that game by 30, but they should have some wiggle room to work both QBs into the gameplan if they so desire.

This was a good exercise to learn that Everett Withers is at Temple as "Chief of Staff" -- sounds presidential, haha.

I hope that you're up by enough in the early games to play two QBs

I've never been more shocked by an early season result than A&T over ECU

I will go on a limb and say we'll be a little better than you think ged. Coaching DOES make a difference.
I think Duke will be fun to watch all year. I loved your floating the possibility of being 6-0. It's hard to get a second QB in the game. You never feel like you're up by enough , and if you are down, you want to keep the better QB in the game for a comeback.

I think that you have a very good coach and certainly enough talent to compete in the first six games . A complete shot in the dark... I'll predict 4-2 in the first half

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think Duke will be fun to watch all year. I loved your floating the possibility of being 6-0. It's hard to get a second QB in the game. You never feel like you're up by enough , and if you are down, you want to keep the better QB in the game for a comeback.

I think that you have a very good coach and certainly enough talent to compete in the first six games . A complete shot in the dark... I'll predict 4-2 in the first half
Appreciate the kind words ged. Have great respect for you (as you know), and you're a friend.

I think it may be simply by design Elko wants to do (at least early on), and that's rotate Moore and Leonard IRREGARDLESS of score. Both have unique talents that can cross up a defense (Leonard/pass,Moore/run), and I think you will see both pre ACC.

OFC

I've been in the stands for at least thirty Duke-UNC football games with friends, relatives and alumni from both universities. I've learned a lot about expectations and enjoying tradition. I want my team to win, but I also want both teams to have competitive talent, competitive players and good coaching. I don't expect them to be Alabama but no reason not to beat schools like Illinois and Missouri

Reactions: surfdevil
Appreciate the kind words ged. Have great respect for you (as you know), and you're a friend.

I think it may be simply by design Elko wants to do (at least early on), and that's rotate Moore and Leonard IRREGARDLESS of score. Both have unique talents that can cross up a defense (Leonard/pass,Moore/run), and I think you will see both pre ACC.

OFC
I suspect that before I die it will be common to play 2 QBs on the same play. The Philadelphia Eagles could have Jalen Hurts pitch to Gardner Minshew who throws deep.

It takes a coach with fortitude to get the second QB in the game. Mack Brown promised to develop Maye/Criswell last year. Howell played 99% of the snaps and now UNC has plenty of talent at the position with no experience

It takes a coach with fortitude to get the second QB in the game. Mack Brown promised to develop Maye/Criswell last year. Howell played 99% of the snaps and now UNC has plenty of talent at the position with no experience
Mack's never been strong on "fortitude," or academics for that matter. OFC

I suspect that before I die it will be common to play 2 QBs on the same play. The Philadelphia Eagles could have Jalen Hurts pitch to Gardner Minshew who throws deep.

We could have used Jefferson Boaz at Duke. He's on the sidelines at Carolina with a clip board. At 6'7 good arm needs to be playing somewhere.

We could have used Jefferson Boaz at Duke. He's on the sidelines at Carolina with a clip board. At 6'7 good arm needs to be playing somewhere.
I wish Boaz were playing too. I think that UNC doesn't do a good job of realistic recruiting. UNC has a 5* QB in Drake Maye and some other good prospects. Boaz is a good athlete. He's a good baseball pitcher. His throwing motion is too long and slow. Coach Brown recruited Boaz as an athlete, probably TE, with the promise to compete at QB. He was never going to win the job at unc without a drastic overhaul of his throwing motion.

UNC also failed to develop his high school teammate, WR Stephen Gosnell. After tying up a scholarship for two years, Gosnell transferred to Virginia Tech where his younger brother is playing TE

Just two of the many examples of signing top prospects who never actually contribute

I wish Boaz were playing too. I think that UNC doesn't do a good job of realistic recruiting. UNC has a 5* QB in Drake Maye and some other good prospects. Boaz is a good athlete. He's a good baseball pitcher. His throwing motion is too long and slow. Coach Brown recruited Boaz as an athlete, probably TE, with the promise to compete at QB. He was never going to win the job at unc without a drastic overhaul of his throwing motion.

UNC also failed to develop his high school teammate, WR Stephen Gosnell. After tying up a scholarship for two years, Gosnell transferred to Virginia Tech where his younger brother is playing TE

Just two of the many examples of signing top prospects who never actually contribute
TMI. OFC

That's a great article Conor. While Philips seemed to be saying the ACC will "stay the course", what else could he say? That the league is in trouble and looking to be bailed out?

It leaves open the possibility that he and others are working behind the scenes on realignment, a new TV package, adding teams, or whatever. Of course it's against his own best interests for the league to disband and everyone find a new landing spot.

Thank you!

Phillips' comments were honestly stronger than I thought they'd be going into yesterday. I think he has a lot of faith in the grant of rights keeping things together for the time being.

And you're absolutely right, there's no way he's going to come out and say, "hey I've been here a year and a half, inherited a clusterf***, and Kevin Warren is my mortal enemy for breaking the Alliance." (as fun as that would've been)

Conor, great story on the strength and condditioning program and Coach Feeley. That was an area that Coach Cut emphasized when he was hired, but it seemed to fade as time went on. It gives me even more confidence that we’re turning the Queen Mary. Maybe faster than expected! And thanks for following the football program. It’s great to see that getting some pub after being a stepchild on this board for so many years. The efforts of you, Surf, Liftee, Devilinside and H2C are really appreciated. ,

Conor, great story on the strength and condditioning program and Coach Feeley. That was an area that Coach Cut emphasized when he was hired, but it seemed to fade as time went on. It gives me even more confidence that we’re turning the Queen Mary. Maybe faster than expected! And thanks for following the football program. It’s great to see that getting some pub after being a stepchild on this board for so many years. The efforts of you, Surf, Liftee, Devilinside and H2C are really appreciated. ,
Great post Jeffrey!!! We may be small, but we are DEFINITELY A HARD CORE group of Duke FB followers WIN OR LOSE! Look for more to jump on the bandwagon when we start to string a few wins together! OFC

@jeffrey236 I really appreciate it! I will do my best to cover the program, hopefully with understanding that I've got this crazy dual-responsibility to cover Wake Forest also.

As far as the rededication to strength and conditioning, I would point out that Elko probably wouldn't be able to hire a guy like David Feeley without Nina King committing more money to the program. One of Elko's discussion points yesterday was having a larger assistant coach salary pool -- I'm pretty convinced Duke isn't able to hire Elko without promising to increase resources. Another point made was Duke's recruiting staff went from 3 people to 10 with Elko's hiring.

I doubt Cut was ignoring S&C and recruiting; rather, I think he was handcuffed by his budget. And instead of committing more resources to him, Duke hit the reset button with a new coach.

I'm not making excuses for Cut, the program obviously needed a change -- but "change" encompasses a lot more than head coach when talking about Duke from last that to this one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT