ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Hart, as I have said often before, I admire your passion for Duke football. However, I fear you overestimate the amount of attention the Duke administration gives to football. I suspect the next AD will care less about football, less than White did, unless some heavy donors threaten to pull their support from Duke. They will not even notice if I made that threat.

Lift I respect your thoughts, I just dont agree with them. I think one of THE BEST MOVES a new AD can make to satisfy and/or appease Duke Nation, is hiring a NEW FB COACH as soon as possible.The best promotion for a program is winning!!! Build a winner (time it will take) and will draw respectable crowds again. Wade was rockin in '13 when we pounded Miami at home! OFC

Last edited:
Lift I respect your thoughts, I just dont agree with them. I think one of THE BEST MOVES a new AD can make to satisfy and/or appease Duke Nation, is hiring a NEW FB COACH as soon as possible.The best promotion for a program is winning!!! Build a winner (time it will take) and will draw respectable crowds again. Wade was rockin in '13 when we pounded Miami at home! OFC

I truly hope you are right and I am wrong. Time will tell.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Look how few of the posters here are interested in the football team. that is consistent with alums in my area who only know the football team is playing if they are winning. That can change (if Duke becomes competitive again) but does the administration care enough? We will see in the next year or two.

Exactly. What we need is a younger energetic coach with fresh ideas, a new system, and who imposes a merit system on his staff. Produce or your gone.
Spot-on DI! Interesting comment you made about our eventual new staff brought in by a new coach. Cut holds on to his good 'ol boy network as tightly as possible. Of course its not that difficult because they are seldom hired away by better Power 5 fb programs.

Nonetheless I buy into what I've seen mentioned frequently of late. Cut's musical chairs of staff last week was more bent on building his assts's resumes than truly making Duke better. Cut knows the end is near for him at Duke, and is trying to help find staff jobs once he's retired or fired. He knew AD Kevin White's retirement was coming, and realizes he may not get to finish out remaining two years on his contract.

OFC

I would choose a young, smart assistant athletic director from a football school such as Alabama, Ohio State or Oklahoma. The assistant AD would have to have close ties to the football program and be able to hire the best football coaching staff. The new AD doesn't need to know the top basketball coaches. He does need to gain the trust of coach Krzyzewski and the biggest donors to find the best basketball coach

I would choose a young, smart assistant athletic director from a football school such as Alabama, Ohio State or Oklahoma. The assistant AD would have to have close ties to the football program and be able to hire the best football coaching staff. The new AD doesn't need to know the top basketball coaches. He does need to gain the trust of coach Krzyzewski and the biggest donors to find the best basketball coach

Good ideas ged! Hope they recruit such an individual. From the article I like the idea of UCF AD Danny White(yes he's Kevin's son), but hes been all in to building a football power. He
hired Johnny Dawkins for hoops as well! One negative: White just signed a brand new 5 year deal. Hopefully he has an escape clause.....

OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
Wouldn't be a bad idea to look at assistant AD's at schools like Stanford, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn State, Texas, and some others. I do not think that familiarity with the inner workings of Duke Athletics is a good thing, especially when we are looking for a fresh approach.

Just learned that Vince Oghobasse, one of Duke's most highly recruited players, is Boston College's Defensive Line Coach and is doing a really good job as a recruiter. While I am happy for Vince, I cannot figure out why he is not at Duke, unless it is because Cut is stuck on his assistants or because Vince sees the writing on the wall here. If we have not even approached him, I would really be po'd. Surf or Hart, can you shed any light on it/?

Just learned that Vince Oghobasse, one of Duke's most highly recruited players, is Boston College's Defensive Line Coach and is doing a really good job as a recruiter. While I am happy for Vince, I cannot figure out why he is not at Duke, unless it is because Cut is stuck on his assistants or because Vince sees the writing on the wall here. If we have not even approached him, I would really be po'd. Surf or Hart, can you shed any light on it/?

Vince has done very well as a college assistant. Was excellent player and obviously truly knows the game. I think he played some under Cut, AND was a grad asst at Duke in 2012. Hes gone on to some better FOOTBALL SCHOOLS, but we should DEFINITELY be pursuing Vince to come HOME!!! OFC

Last edited:
Fall football schedule was released. Our out of conference games are Charlotte, NC A&T, Kansas and Northwestern, all at the start of the season. We should start 3-1, although Kansas might disagree. No Clemson, ND or FSU (not sure FSU deserves to be labeled as elite any more, though), but at this point I’m not sure there are any ACC teams we’ll be favored against.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Fall football schedule was released. Our out of conference games are Charlotte, NC A&T, Kansas and Northwestern, all at the start of the season. We should start 3-1, although Kansas might disagree. No Clemson, ND or FSU (not sure FSU deserves to be labeled as elite any more, though), but at this point I’m not sure there are any ACC teams we’ll be favored against.

Based on what I saw this past season, I don’t see more than two or three wins for next season.

I predict we get one win in conference and finish 4-8. More than that would be a minor miracle. Which means, the winning ends in October.

Based on what I saw this past season, I don’t see more than two or three wins for next season.
Same old crap. Other than NW, we get no benefit from other out of conference games. Bring back Richmond and Middle Tennessee. or East Carolina. Whatever. This is the easiest schedule we have had in 10 years, and 3 - 8 is likely the best we can do. Go figure. Don't ask me how I really feel.

OFC

Same old crap. Other than NW, we get no benefit from other out of conference games. Bring back Richmond and Middle Tennessee. or East Carolina. Whatever. This is the easiest schedule we have had in 10 years, and 3 - 8 is likely the best we can do. Go figure. Don't ask me how I really feel.

OFC

Share your sentiments DI. Just finished an article summarizing all 130 P-5 teams next season. Kansas and UConn are the bottom two. Cut picks out the schedule. Cut also turned down a chance to play NC State every year as a non-conference game. Sure tough opponent, but good attendance and the kind of team we need to compete with for recruiting!

Program is in sorry shape, a dumpster fire. Duke is looking at one AD candidate with ties to Ivy League. Pray we dont go that route....OFC

well now we know how big. grad assistant sam mcgrath promoted to lb coach. wow this is just ugly. nothing against sam but maybe hiring someone with experience would have helped more. cant help but wonder if there is a hiring freeze on and no new salaries being allowed to a lame duck staff

Last edited:
well now we know how big. ga assistant sam mcgrath promoted to lb coach. wow this is just ugly. nothing against sam but maybe hiring someone with experience would have helped more. cant help but wonder if there is a hiring freeze on and no new salaries being allowed to a lame duck staff
Previous coaching jobs were with those powers Wagner, Stephenson, and Fairleigh-Dickenson. Talk about re-arranging the deck chairs. I am sure McGrath will be a big draw to LB recruits. Your speculation about the reasons for this promotion seem spot-on. Sad.

OFC

whats even more of a slap in the face uncc hires herb hand, former co-offensive coordinator/o-line coach from texas and before that o-line coach at auburn. unproven GA vs major college level coach. ouch ouch ouch
mike stoops named DC at florida atlantic. did they not have a GA they could promote?
two great hires by non power 5 schools vs what we are doing

Last edited:
well now we know how big. ga assistant sam mcgrath promoted to lb coach. wow this is just ugly. nothing against sam but maybe hiring someone with experience would have helped more. cant help but wonder if there is a hiring freeze on and no new salaries being allowed to a lame duck staff
Previous coaching jobs were with those powers Wagner, Stephenson, and Fairleigh-Dickenson. Talk about re-arranging the deck chairs. I am sure McGrath will be a big draw to LB recruits. Your speculation about the reasons for this promotion seem spot-on. Sad.

OFC
whats even more of a slap in the face uncc hires herb hand, former co-offensive coordinator/o-line coach from texas and before that o-line coach at auburn. unproven GA vs major college level coach. ouch ouch ouch
mike stoops named DC at florida atlantic. did they not have a GA they could promote?
two great hires by non power 5 schools vs what we are doing
Great info guys, yet more sad news for the state of the Duke football program. I would at least be SOMEWHAT ENCOURAGED if the IN-HOUSE promotion of McGrath is mandatory, because Cut's future beyond next year is in doubt, pending new AD. However its par for the course for the Cut good 'ol boy staff moves by hiring within the program.

I don't think I have been as downcast heading into the next season as I am now. My biggest and most realistic hope at this point? The new AD (who should take over this fall) hits the ground running, is sickened by the product Cut puts on the field, and cleans house. There's no question Duke University has the financial resources of buying Cut out for the '22 season. A new coach with NEW IDEAS and a FRESH APPROACH is hired with a brand new staff!!!

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
This has got to mean that they are in a holding pattern until the Pandemic ends and for one more year. I just hope the new coach is hired for the next recruiting season or is it too late for that?

What a weird year. Football tanks and basketball is struggling. I guess it's time to put things in perspective.

He wouldn't! It was a stupid remark. He's been mentioned for every head coaching job in the NFL. I was happy for him that he didn't get the Houston job. Offensive Coordinator in Kansas City is a better job in my opinion

so today was late signing say for football. we did nada. per my math, we have 82 schollies used, 81 if connor wood the kicker is a gray shirt. will the staff go after anymore grad guys? sure wouldnt mind an OT, DT and a best available.
No big surprise. Why would any kid with an eye on his future come here? What the heck do we have to offer besides a wonderful education and a possible job on Wall Street? Beats the hell out of me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT