ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

So, this is gonna be a long season it seems

Yeah Pix, right now I guess we could beat Charlotte, maybe....This was plain and simply, an embarrassment. Brice was outplayed by BC's transfer qb, and Cut was outcoached. BC was better prepared, and blitzed us. To think we were a slight favorite, and coming off a respectable showing the wheels came off. OFC

Reactions: PixelDevil
A very long season. Time for a coaching change if an elite candidate is available

i don’t know if we’d land an elite candidate but a new voice is needed, kills me to say that because I’m a Cut stan but this ain’t it. Two years in a row we’ve looked awful

Cuttcliffe is a marvelous coach. I don't know what is going on. The team looked awful.
dont know if you are punning or not. he definitely brought us back in his early years but now he stinks. All that grief roper took as the oc and cut is calling the same crap which means when roper said he was running cut's plan it was true. our offense is so generic and plain jane. ugh!!!!!
the problem is the acc coaching roster has turned over with good upgrades and we are struck in 2013. look at all the energy young coaches like hafley, collins, satterfield and even old man brown have brought to their teams. fun offenses and better recruiting are selling to young kids.
since beating gt last year we have lost 7 of 8 and been outscored 264 to 103. hard to say cut is doing a good job these days. bad qb play, bad assistant coaching, bad play calling, bad recruiting. whatever reason you want to blame, it is on cut's doorstep. the shame of it all is that we are wasting a really good defense.

We had 5 turnovers and multiple crushing penalties...I don't think many coaching gameplans can overcome that many turnovers in the redzone...Cut is a huge part of the lack of discipline, but the players simply have to value the ball and make smarter decisions that this and that's simple not on Cut.

dont know if you are punning or not. he definitely brought us back in his early years but now he stinks. All that grief roper took as the oc and cut is calling the same crap which means when roper said he was running cut's plan it was true. our offense is so generic and plain jane. ugh!!!!!
the problem is the acc coaching roster has turned over with good upgrades and we are struck in 2013. look at all the energy young coaches like hafley, collins, satterfield and even old man brown have brought to their teams. fun offenses and better recruiting are selling to young kids.
since beating gt last year we have lost 7 of 8 and been outscored 264 to 103. hard to say cut is doing a good job these days. bad qb play, bad assistant coaching, bad play calling, bad recruiting. whatever reason you want to blame, it is on cut's doorstep. the shame of it all is that we are wasting a really good defense.

surf I am with you as usual on your views! You know the ins and outs of this program as well as anybody. Turnovers or not, we've been inside opponent''s 10 yard line FIVE TIMES over last 2 games and have 1 TD. Pitiful execution and that falls on Cut. This Duke team really stunk it up today, and Cut should look in mirror for blame!

OFC

surf I am with you as usual on your views! You know the ins and outs of this program as well as anybody. Turnovers or not, we've been inside opponent''s 10 yard line FIVE TIMES over last 2 games and have 1 TD. Pitiful execution and that falls on Cut. This Duke team really stunk it up today, and Cut should look in mirror for blame!

OFC
I agree with Surf and Hart. Pretty much like last year when the opposition seemed to know which bland unimaginative plays we were going to run in most situations. I do feel sorry for our D which is forced to spend way too much time on the field in the second half. The sad truth is that a rookie head coach and a transfer QB took Cutt to school. Oh, well. OFC

one other thing i will mention that no one is talking about is the fact after the transfers and the ''boots'' we have started the season with 5 or 6 open schollies. we could have filled these spots with grad transfers but cut chose not to. sure wish we could have found an oline player or two plus a rb

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree with Surf and Hart. Pretty much like last year when the opposition seemed to know which bland unimaginative plays we were going to run in most situations. I do feel sorry for our D which is forced to spend way too much time on the field in the second half. The sad truth is that a rookie head coach and a transfer QB took Cutt to school. Oh, well. OFC
one other thing i will mention that no one is talking about is the fact after the transfers and the ''boots'' we have started the season with 5 or 6 open schollies. we could have filled these spots with grad transfers but cut chose not to. sure wish we could have found an oline player or two plus a rb

Good stuff guys!!! OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Feel bad for Mr. Gilbert who worked so hard to rehab and now has to do it again. Wonder if he's done.

I understand Josh Blackwell is out as well.

I hate to root for the season to be canceled, but...

anthony franklin the de who came across country on his own dime to visit just popped for stanford. this hurts. hate to say it but i think kids and their parents/coaches are seeing the rut duke football is in. we need a big game or upset to get some good vibes back.

anthony franklin the de who came across country on his own dime to visit just popped for stanford. this hurts. hate to say it but i think kids and their parents/coaches are seeing the rut duke football is in. we need a big game or upset to get some good vibes back.

Surf when it rains it pours, and thats exactly this season.A horrible showing Saturday, Gilbert AND Blackwell out, and not surprised Franklin didnt opt for Durham.Wheels really seem to be coming off.Cut better get a big win, SOON... OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
I have been a Cut booster even last year. However, I wonder how long he is going to want to continue in the same holding pattern. It will be his decision when to leave, but he must be very frustrated and I wonder if he is losing control of the situation.

as a poster on another site said it is hard to be a 66 year old coach who is starting a re-build situation.
I have been a Cut booster even last year. However, I wonder how long he is going to want to continue in the same holding pattern. It will be his decision when to leave, but he must be very frustrated and I wonder if he is losing control of the situation.

Both of you make very sound statements. So far it seems like a broken record from last year. Defense plays its butt off for 3 qtrs or thereabouts, until they're dog tired from being on field so much. I know jury is still out on Cut as OC, but early returns dont look promising.

OFC

I don't really blame Cut for the play calling as some of my brethren have. I think any play looks good when the OL blows the defense off the ball instead of the other way around. I don't expect trick plays every down.

Where I worry is that the recruiting has not improved in many years, and our coaches can't be expected to "coach up" 3 star players each and every time. Secondly, the games where Duke comes out flat and is blown out by a team Duke ought to be competitive with. I can't figure that out. I don't know why the team's motivation is so up and down.

I don't really blame Cut for the play calling as some of my brethren have. I think any play looks good when the OL blows the defense off the ball instead of the other way around. I don't expect trick plays every down.

Where I worry is that the recruiting has not improved in many years, and our coaches can't be expected to "coach up" 3 star players each and every time. Secondly, the games where Duke comes out flat and is blown out by a team Duke ought to be competitive with. I can't figure that out. I don't know why the team's motivation is so up and down.

LIFT, the laying down at home to teams we should beat ("team comes out flat and is blown out") is perplexing. Its now happened 3 straight years (Wake, Syracuse, BC), and unfortunately that goes back to the head coach. OFC

LIFT, the laying down at home to teams we should beat ("team comes out flat and is blown out") is perplexing. Its now happened 3 straight years (Wake, Syracuse, BC), and unfortunately that goes back to the head coach. OFC
Getting blown out by anyone Except maybe Alabama is unacceptable. So add ND, UVA, and Pitt to the list. There are schools that thrive on 3-stars, like Boise, Navy sometimes, and others. Vandy used to be competitive until Penn State stole their coach, which tells me that a team with modest talent can at least be consistently competitive with good coaching. So, our problem is becoming more and more obvious.

OFC

Well I will take back a little of what I said. I reviewed 24/7 recruiting ranking 2016-2019. Every year Duke beat out BC by a significant amount. BC was last or close to last in the conference each year. Yet, we saw what happened last weekend. That has me shaking my head. BC did a lot better job with what they got than Duke did.

Well I will take back a little of what I said. I reviewed 24/7 recruiting ranking 2016-2019. Every year Duke beat out BC by a significant amount. BC was last or close to last in the conference each year. Yet, we saw what happened last weekend. That has me shaking my head. BC did a lot better job with what they got than Duke did.

Outcoached by a young vibrant energetic guy who has climbed the ladder! Was DC at Ohio St last year... OFC

Any chance we pull off the upset today?

Pixel I just can't see it. The odds are stacked against us w/o two defensive starters, our 7 of last 8 losses in games since last season, and the turnover plague. In addition, Cut hasn't been able to "bust the Bronco," (0-4 vs Mendenhall). UVA wont beat themselves.

It will take another stellar defensive effort, with the offense moving the chains and SCORING TD's instead of FGs in red zone. Also, I would say more than 1-2 Duke turnovers and its curtains.

The one thing going for us IMO? The betting line. It opened w/Virginia as a 9 pt fave. Then despite the loss of Gilbert and Blackwell, UVA has mysteriously dropped to 4.5 pts!!! Almost looks TOO GOOD to take the Cavs, which is why I think it COULD be close. Today's game kicks off at 4pm on ACC NETWORK. I do know most carriers have it, including Spectrum.

Virginia 23, Duke 20

OFC

hart2 chesson beat me to it. The spread is down to 4. I was surprised to see a line on the Appalachian State vs Campbell game. It seems like it would be pretty easy to fix a game like that. The spread is 36. Who would notice a couple of gaffes late in that game?

IF IF IF we do not commit turnovers i think we can keep this game close. the kids have been pressing on offense but our d has been solid so far. as bad as the BC game was we had 351 yds total offense compared to their 384 yds. 5 turnovers to 1 killed us along with cut's very bad play calling in the red zone. in cuts post game presser he admitted to really struggling with the play calling and said he must get better. it had been 12 years since he was the primary play caller so not having spring ball really hurt him.

Last edited:
Well a continuing story, defense runs out of gas from staying on the field so much. We have got to do something on offense. I am not quite as sold on Brice as I was. Maybe its time to try our backup!!
OFC

our oline cant open up running lanes and they are struggling with pass protection.
chase brice 8-20 for 126 yds. 1 td 1 int
rbs 20 carries for 24 yds
150 yds total offense with one play counting for 55 yds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT