ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Overall, I have been pleased with how we have played. Some things to work on sure, but it’s only one game. I think we will be okay this season.

Reactions: dbav
Overall, I have been pleased with how we have played. Some things to work on sure, but it’s only one game. I think we will be okay this season.

My thought as well. Could have done a few things better, but this got me excited about the season.

On a side note, ND's QB looked awful.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
not upset with this game. team played hard. when brice got time to throw he looked good. 3 or 4 plays were huge. fake punt. calhoons fumble when driving in nd territory. blackwells missed tackle on the te to stop drive. when you are the underdog you cant settle for fg's inside their 5 yard line. kids played hard though.
our oline still needs to get better. no running lanes and LOTS of hits on chase. will we play another team with the quality dline and oline that nd has?
i do agree with the announcer who said we looked like we belonged on the same field with nd as opposed to last year.
my biggest worry right now is to see the injury report. started to get a lot of players dinged up in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
My thought as well. Could have done a few things better, but this got me excited about the season.

On a side note, ND's QB looked awful.
He did look awful. Lol! I was very impressed with Brice first game out. I don’t think he threw an int!

Reactions: dbav
not upset with this game. team played hard. when brice got time to throw he looked good. 3 or 4 plays were huge. fake punt. calhoons fumble when driving in nd territory. blackwells missed tackle on the te to stop drive. when you are the underdog you cant settle for fg's inside their 5 yard line. kids played hard though.
our oline still needs to get better. no running lanes and LOTS of hits on chase. will we play another team with the quality dline and oline that nd has?
i do agree with the announcer who said we looked like we belonged on the same field with nd as opposed to last year.
my biggest worry right now is to see the injury report. started to get a lot of players dinged up in the 2nd half.

surf nice wrap-up. I feel like the 3 plays you touched on: fake punt, Calhoun fumble, Blackwell missed tackle were defining moments. Still overall I am excited about this team. Lots of good takeaways including the OVERALL play of the D, Brice looked pretty good throwing despite fact he was running for his life, special teams played well.

Plenty still to work on-

Red zone offense- gotta punch it in, and should have led at half because offense left red zone pts on field.

Running game- had some punch early but that was about it......Durant really looked a step slow by the way...

O Line- Brice needs more time to throw, and we need to open some holes for our RBs....

As you said injury report will be interesting. Want to know about Blackwell, Lummie Young, etc.....Next week is must win game. This team is definitely capable of winning 6 games....

OFC

okay so after a night of reflection
chase brice really spread the ball around which means opposing d's cant focus on one wr. plus he was throwing to wr. only 2 games all last year with more wr catches.
eli pancol 3-78, noah gray 5-68, jalon calhoon 5-62, jake bobo 3-34, dean jackson 2-6, jontavis robertson 1-13, darrell harding 1-10.
2 drops with one BIG one. the long ball that went right thru damond philyaw johnson's hands was a huge miss. cant throw it any better. you have to make that catch. jalon dropped a bubble screen but i dont know if that was going anywhere but.......
why is eli the backup to jalon? put them on they field together because they are they two biggest threats we have. doesnt make sense to me.
remember this was against a team that last year rated #4 against the pass nationally.
the young kickers looked great. porter wilson the punter was 6 for a 45.7 average. 4 of those inside the 20. nice
the oline (to me) is the big question mark. they got pushed around after the first quarter. what bothered me was that holman, already small for a left tackle, looked slow. he was a four star recruit on some boards but that was as a guard. also really felt we missed jack w at center helping to calm things down when they upped pressure in second half. hard to replace a good veteran center. hopefully they will mesh and get better. plus we wont face as good a dline again.
mataeo durant had 5 carries for 7 yds. he also looked slow to me. i wish they would give waters a shot. with hubbards injury i think we need an ''outside the tackles'' breakaway threat and that is not jackson or durant.
still like the teams effort.

Last edited:
I think we'll learn a lot more against BC. What I keep hearing is that ND went with a a very vanilla scheme and they still pulled away somewhat in the last quarter.

I'm somewhat optimistic but ND didn't bring its A game.

Sears never did much at USC and he certainly would not have beaten out Jones.
j

Jones is good, dont get me wrong- hes playing on Sundays, but from Day 1 he was Cut's pet. He had plenty of good games, but NEVER beat Pitt, UVA or Va Tech. Really knocked us from contending in Coastal... OFC

j

Jones is good, dont get me wrong- hes playing on Sundays, but from Day 1 he was Cut's pet. He had plenty of good games, but NEVER beat Pitt, UVA or Va Tech. Really knocked us from contending in Coastal... OFC
So, it was all Jones fault? Tell me what he did which caused us to lose each game. He certainly did not allow those teams to score virtually at will.

Reactions: bubby1
So, it was all Jones fault? Tell me what he did which caused us to lose each game. He certainly did not allow those teams to score virtually at will.

Whoa....you"re fired up today arent you DI? Corn Flakes ok????? Sure- in '16 (when our bowl streak was snapped after 4 straight and we went 4-8), Jones should have been pulled for Parker Boehme on several occasions.....

1- at Northwestern where he led us to one/two tds at most against a Wildcat team that started the season with consecutive losses at home to 2 D-II schools.

2- DJ threw 5 INTS vs UVA at home in an embarrassing home loss (27-7) to Cavs. Cut exploded at a Duke Chronicle reporter following game for just ASKING: Did you consider pulling Daniel???

3- Jones was also largely ineffective vs Wake in the home opener that season, in which the Deacs upset us at Wade.

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
I have Daniel Jones at 3-0 vs the Cheats. They couldn’t stop him running or passing. I have no doubt he would been 4-0 had he played last season.

Good point Dukeman. Wore the cheaters out. OFC

Whoa....you"re fired up today arent you DI? Corn Flakes ok????? Sure- in '16 (when our bowl streak was snapped after 4 straight and we went 4-8), Jones should have been pulled for Parker Boehme on several occasions.....

1- at Northwestern where he led us to one/two tds at most against a Wildcat team that started the season with consecutive losses at home to 2 D-II schools.

2- DJ threw 5 INTS vs UVA at home in an embarrassing home loss (27-7) to Cavs. Cut exploded at a Duke Chronicle reporter following game for just ASKING: Did you consider pulling Daniel???

3- Jones was also largely ineffective vs Wake in the home opener that season, in which the Deacs upset us at Wade.

OFC
Granola, if you must know. Well, you cherry-picked 3 games out of 36, while claiming Daniel was responsible for entire seasons; and then blamed Jones because CUTT failed to substitute him in one game. The 5 pics at UVA is a legitimate gripe, but that is all. Your tone has changed over the last few weeks. Did someone highjack your username? If not, better get back on your meds. Did a little fact-checking on you. Against NW in 2017, Duke won 41-17, and Daniel was 29 out of 45, 305 yds, and 2TD's. Against NW in 2018, Jones was 16/22, 192 yds., 3 TD's, and was knocked out of the game in the 3d Q. At the time NW was 0 -1, not 0 - 2. In 2016, Duke lost to Wake 24-14, but Daniel was 31 of 48 for 332 yds, even though he was sacked 5 times and under stress the entire game. In 2017, Duke beat Wake 31-23, and Daniel was 25 for 44, 346 yds, 2 td's. In 2018, Duke gave Wake 59 points, which was hardly Daniel's fault. In fact, you and I both placed the blame squarely on Cutt and our alleged DC. Daniel had some bad games, BUT over-all he was an extremely beneficial player to the team and the program. His performance against the Cheats in 2018, for which I was present, was inspiring and is something I will never forget.

OFC

Last edited:
What concerns me about Jones, is the two picks he threw on Monday were not 50/50 balls, but rather throws that never should have been made. It's like he suddenly reverts to high school. I hope he'll grow out of it. The good news is, there were no fumbles and he looked in command most of the rest of the time.

Granola, if you must know. Well, you cherry-picked 3 games out of 36, while claiming Daniel was responsible for entire seasons; and then blamed Jones because CUTT failed to substitute him in one game. The 5 pics at UVA is a legitimate gripe, but that is all. Your tone has changed over the last few weeks. Did someone highjack your username? If not, better get back on your meds. Did a little fact-checking on you. Against NW in 2017, Duke won 41-17, and Daniel was 29 out of 45, 305 yds, and 2TD's. Against NW in 2018, Jones was 16/22, 192 yds., 3 TD's, and was knocked out of the game in the 3d Q. At the time NW was 0 -1, not 0 - 2. In 2016, Duke lost to Wake 24-14, but Daniel was 31 of 48 for 332 yds, even though he was sacked 5 times and under stress the entire game. In 2017, Duke beat Wake 31-23, and Daniel was 25 for 44, 346 yds, 2 td's. In 2018, Duke gave Wake 59 points, which was hardly Daniel's fault. In fact, you and I both placed the blame squarely on Cutt and our alleged DC. Daniel had some bad games, BUT over-all he was an extremely beneficial player to the team and the program. His performance against the Cheats in 2018, for which I was present, was inspiring and is something I will never forget.

OFC

I am so heartened my comments inspired you to go into such research. I didnt "cherry pick" either. Look if we win 2 of those 3 games in '16 I identified, we keep our bowl streak. The home losses to UVA and Wake were very embarrassing. Btw, what was Jones history of All-ACC honors? You seem to have plenty of time for fact checking.

Look I am a Daniel Jones fan, and I am grateful for his courage, his accomplishments, etc but I dont think he is worthy of a statue outside Wally World. I don't put him in the same class as Leo Hart, Steve Slayden, Anthony Dilweg, Ben Bennett, Mike Dunn. Those guys played on some losing teams sure, but Duke was generally playing tougher schedules in those times, and Duke had no conference tie-in to crappy bowls. Jones took us to two weaker bowls.....There were other teams under some of the qbs I mentioned that went 6-5 or even 7-4 and deserved bowl attention much more than Jones last two teams. Continue on with your granola.....OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Equally brilliant. Much like Trubisky at UNC, I thought that Jones was an NFL prospect. Perhaps Round 3 or 4, but #2 and #6 overall seemed like ridiculous reaches

Reactions: hart2chesson
I am so heartened my comments inspired you to go into such research. I didnt "cherry pick" either. Look if we win 2 of those 3 games in '16 I identified, we keep our bowl streak. The home losses to UVA and Wake were very embarrassing. Btw, what was Jones history of All-ACC honors? You seem to have plenty of time for fact checking.

Look I am a Daniel Jones fan, and I am grateful for his courage, his accomplishments, etc but I dont think he is worthy of a statue outside Wally World. I don't put him in the same class as Leo Hart, Steve Slayden, Anthony Dilweg, Ben Bennett, Mike Dunn. Those guys played on some losing teams sure, but Duke was generally playing tougher schedules in those times, and Duke had no conference tie-in to crappy bowls. Jones took us to two weaker bowls.....There were other teams under some of the qbs I mentioned that went 6-5 or even 7-4 and deserved bowl attention much more than Jones last two teams. Continue on with your granola.....OFC
You are avoiding the point. You blamed entire seasons on Daniel Jones, and I called you out for it. So now you are trying to spin your original post into something it was not. I was not saying he is the best QB we have ever had or that he was better than any of those other guys you mention in your issue-dodging post, even though he may be. I am saying that you are relying on generalities to cover up the absence of facts for your original post. Reply all you want. No response from me. Used to appreciate what was your consistent optimism and objectivity. But no more.

You are avoiding the point. You blamed entire seasons on Daniel Jones, and I called you out for it. So now you are trying to spin your original post into something it was not. I was not saying he is the best QB we have ever had or that he was better than any of those other guys you mention in your issue-dodging post, even though he may be. I am saying that you are relying on generalities to cover up the absence of facts for your original post. Reply all you want. No response from me. Used to appreciate what was your consistent optimism and objectivity. But no more.

Don't let the door hit ya' on your way out. I took it all to another level, and you had no argument.....I was on point, and using other seasons for even greater perspective. No further comment to you either, not worth my time......OFC

Last edited:
Will miss the real htoc.

I will miss the real DI. That was simply one point we had differences on. I will NEVER EVER lose my passion for Duke Football. I have followed Duke on the gridiron for 55 years, and suppose I was spoiled by some of the other qbs I mentioned.

I love DJ. I am so happy he can say he NEVER lost to UNC in three games as Duke starting qb. I dont know if any other Duke qb can say the same. Thats a heckuva feat.Jones also despite having good numbers was hampered by an inferior OC in Zac Roper. All the best DI, and lets get BC Saturday! OFC

GameDay is here!!! GO DUKE, beat BC!!!!
OFC

I agree JCD!!! I CANNOT EMPHASIZE enough the IMPORTANCE of winning today. I think BC pretty similar to us in talent, and will come in expecting to win! They are big up front on O and D, and our O Line must play better than last week:

1/Our backs need some holes up front(wish Cut would call more slants into the line than up the middle).

2/Chase (who may be our best runner right now), needs time to go thru his progressions and throw!

I see us prevailing in a tighter than final score game if we execute well at 24-14. Duke is a 5 and a half pt favorite. Spectrum is the provider for this game on Fox Sports South HD at noon.Also I think can be streamed I believe on ESPN 3. #GoDuke

OFC

Last edited:
Down 7-6 at halftime! Should be ahead, to many mistakes and penalties!! Hope we clean it up for second half.
OFC

Defense is going to have to play better or this could be a long day!!!
OFC
Indeed! Obviously, Duke has not played as well as they did last week. Pretty boring game so far. Duke’s defense has played pretty solid. One of the few reasons they are still in the game.

One mistake after another. Two fumbles in the red zone. It's hard to win with this many mistakes!!!
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT