ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

bang bang. porter wilson 6'4'' 215lb punter from akron ohio commits. averaged over 45 yds per punt with a 4.6 hang time as a jr. kohls has him at #12 and chris sailer has him at #7 in nation. between he and ham we are now covered in the kicking game for a while.

Last edited:
bang bang. porter wilson 6'4'' 215lb punter from akron ohio commits. averaged over 45 tds per punt with a 4.6 hang time as a jr. kohls has him at #12 and chris sailer has him at #7 in nation. between he and ham we are now covered in the kicking game for a while.

Brings back memories of the M And M kicking squad: Martin/Monday!

OFC

bang bang. great bounce back get. darrell harding a 6'3'' 191lb wr commits. offers from pitt, ucf, cincy, indiana, maryland, minnesota, miss state, mizzu, unc, south carolina, syracuse, usf, wake and w va. really solid player

Last edited:
bang bang!!! really interesting pick up. JAYLEN COLEMAN a 6'2'' 200lb rb from indian trail nc commits this morning. only small school offers right now but be prepared for schools to come after this kid. last year was his first playing football so go to huddle and his film jumps out at you. he has been a track kid and is the state champion 100m runner as a junior. the duke coaches saw him and started contact this spring. he hasnt camped at the type of places that rivals and 247 go to so dont expect a good rating especially from rivals (any takers that they do their normal 5.4 cop out on the kid?). he camped at duke so they saw live what his tape showed and offered right away. 4.4 forty with his size!! this kid might just end up being the picture for ''diamond in the rough''
ps stats for first year of playing football
1287 yds on 179 carries. 15 tds. 107.3 yds per game. 7.19 per carry. (info from max preps)

Last edited:
I saw where Green committed to Wake Forest yesterday. It's better than Carolina but I wish he would have stayed with Duke.

yeah they are really doing something over there. they not only got donovon greene but also nolan grouix the instate receiver who balked on wisconsin. that is two instate 4 star recievers.

yeah they are really doing something over there. they not only got donovon greene but also nolan grouix the instate receiver who balked on wisconsin. that is two instate 4 star recievers.
Losing a 4-star to Wake? Really? I just have a queasy feeling about where our recruiting is going. We need to add some higher quality guys fast, and not just kickers.

Reactions: hart2chesson
on 247 they have an interview with jacob monk who has been invited to the opening this weekend as one of the premier ol guys in the us. ( just ignore the rivals rating, its a joke) only the second duke kid to be invited with drew jordan de being the other. really looking forward to him being at duke. also seems to be hitting up some really good recruits to join him including a lb at the opening. cross your fingers and hope.

bang bang. huge huge huge get. dewayne carter 6'3'' 275lb dt out of ohio. ranked in top 500 by 247 and the #31 dt in high school. i heard nothing and had seen nothing. ALBERT AFFECT. look at this offer list. 18 p5 scools. wow.
michigan st, nebraska, northwestern, pitt, syracuse, tenn, wva, bc, cincy, indiana, kentucky, louisville, michigan, minnesota, notre dame, purdue, rutgers, vandy, virginia.

Last edited:
just an fyi about recruiting. in 2008 our class in ted roofs final year averaged 2.75 offers from other power 5 schools. in 2015 they averaged 6.06 per kid. this year we are at 6.71 (before tonights bang bang) and that includes two kickers. we are getting better but the ACC as a whole is also getting better.

ps there seems to be two schools of thought on how to rate a class. rankings by sites vs power 5 offers. the power 5 offer list is tangible and easy to count. the site rankings are tougher to gauge. no service gets out to see all the recruits so ones like rivals just put a 5.4 on the kids they dont see. that is fine but when some of these kids blow up they never seem to adjust their ratings so its a little slanted. trust the coaches who have seen these kids live.
just a few examples of this
trey hornbuckle 2016 got a 5.4 as a de. ended up all state and is penciled in to start for 2nd year in a row for us. all state kid as a 2 star? they never adjusted on the sites but coaches knew
noah gray 2017 got a 5.3 as a te. played in all 13 games as a true frosh. 178 snaps, 5 catches and 2 tds. got absolute raves about growth after spring ball. pushing 2 seniors for time as a true soph.

Last edited:
hey mods any way you can delete one of the charlie ham commits on the front page. he can only commit once so we dont need that extra 2 star figuring in our class ranking. thnx

so goduke.com has the full roster up and here are some interesting tidbits from that list
frosh dline is huge. rice is 320 and brown came in at 305
frosh oline is bigger. mcintyre is 320 addo at 310 and holman came in at 295
trevon mcswain (dt) is up 25 lbs to 300
chidi okunya (de) is up 20 lbs to 240
axel nyenbwe (dt) lost 10 lbs and is 310
lummie young (s) used red shirt year to add 25 lbs and is now 205 lbs
frosh lbs are men. shaka is 6'4'' 230 lbs and rocky is 6' and 215. maybe shaka grows into a de? has the size

looking at the list and looking at our verbals this year the thing i am seeing is we are getting the size kids now that even 6 years ago we couldnt get. our dbs this year are all 6' or taller. we are getting honest to god men on the oline and dline. we are just not undersized in the length or weight department any more.

Last edited:
bang bang. john gelotte a 6'6'' 275 lb OT from south carolina commits. offers include duke, unc, louisville, northwestern, pitt, rutgers, syracuse, uva and wva. the first piece has fallen

ps he was a tight end who last year was moved to OT so he has really good agility and feet. think this year he really steps up and goes to the next level. you look at him and you see that frame and go wow he could add weight easily.

Last edited:
The crystal ball was right! 67% had him headed to Duke, 33% to UNC. Love to get one away from the cheats. Don't expect Fedora to give up on the kid. Hes poached our recruits before.

The boys from Durham are winning against the 'holes on the field consistently now though. Duke's ahead 4-2 head to head over UNC the last 6 years.Recruits are noticing, and UNC took a huge downturn last year as well.

OFC

so my wish list for the rest of the 19 class. (16 commits now)
nick jackson lb
walter rouse ot
christian rorie de
zach williamson ot
then 1 to 3 best available. maybe a slot receiver, a db, another rb or maybe a qb. some from this group would work

we really need one or more OT right now more than anything else. this year is thin.
OT christian harris sr
liam smith rsoph
robert kraeling rsoph
jacob rimmer rfrosh
patrick leitten rfrosh (hurt knee in spring ball and out for year)
peace addo frosh
due to the lack of bodies they have moved jaylen miller and casey holman to OT but at 6'3'' and 6'4'' these guys are guards. we need bodies so they can go back inside. we are involved with two good guys right now
walter rouse 6'6'' 285
zach williamson 6'6' 275
i would love to get both because i think ot is one of those positions you need to be 4 deep. they just seem to get hurt more often.

this being said behind rouse i want nick jackson badly. kid is a stud and right now we can sell jgh and humphries.

okay so first piece this week has fallen. one more at 6sh tuesday evening. gonna be a good week.
so with too much time on my hands i thought about my 85 scholly dreamlist breakdown .
2 each for one kicker and one punter
8 each for dt
8 each for de
7 each for lb
16 each for dbs
8 each for ot
9 each for og/c
6 each for te
5 each for qb
5 each for rb
11 each for wr
anyone have thoughts or changes? if we ran a 4-3 d i would add two lb and subtract from dbs but we run that weird 4-2-5. maybe subtract one from dbs and go to 6 rb?

Last edited:
okay so first piece this week has fallen. one more at 6sh tuesday evening. gonna be a good week.
so with too much time on my hands i thought about my 85 scholly dreamlist breakdown .
2 each for one kicker and one punter
8 each for dt
8 each for de
7 each for lb
16 each for dbs
8 each for ot
9 each for og/c
6 each for te
5 each for qb
5 each for rb
11 each for wr
anyone have thoughts or changes? if we ran a 4-3 d i would add two lb and subtract from dbs but we run that weird 4-2-5. maybe subtract one from dbs and go to 6 rb?

Surf speaking of that 4-2-5, any chance you think we ditch that now that Jim Knowles (ex DC) has moved on?

OFC

i really wish they would because i think lb is one of our deepest and most talented spots and i would love to see more of them on the field at one time. some teams we play like army we should just old school and run a 5-3. they only threw one pass on us last year so why not stuff the box? for the first time i can remember we have so much talent and depth in our front seven that we can throw out different d fronts. i think one of the reasons we went to the ''nickel'' d full time was that before albert our toughest position to recruit was dt and de so we kept an extra db out there due to lack of push and rush by the front line. no longer are we trying to grow lbs into de and de into dts. we are now getting big bodies and we should use them i think.

Last edited:
i really wish they would because i think lb is one of our deepest and most talented spots and i would love to see more of them on the field at one time. some teans we play like army we should just old school and run a 5-3. they only threw one pass on us last year so why not stuff the box? for the first time i can remember we have so much talent and depth in our front seven that we can throw out different d fronts. i think one of the reasons we went to the ''nickel'' d full time was that before albert our toughest position to recruit was dt and de so we kept an extra db out there due to lack of push and rush by the front line. no longer are we trying to grow lbs into de and de into dts. we are now getting big bodies and we should use them i think.

Agree 100% and Ben Albert is very capable of getting it done! Thanks for informative reply Surf!

OFC

Personally I like a 3-5-3 defense because it's so flexible. You can go from one d lineman and ten Dbs to a 10-1 look with no hesitation based on what the offense presents. It has balance, speed all over the field, and simplicity. You just turn them loose, they only have a few assignments and therefore can rely more on instinct than thinking too much.

Just a personal preference. The main reason Duke used a 4-2-5 in the past was because it got more speed on the field while we couldn't recruit the big guys we needed. Now I think we've moved beyond that talent wise and the staff, if needed can make a change to reflect that.

bang bang. big get. christian rorie 6'5'' 267 lb de from raleigh commits. huge kid just growing into his frame. as his hs coach said ''he is just starting to grow into his size 18 shoes''. easily could grow into a dt by the time his red shirt year is over. he is raw but huge. picked us over offers from nc state, maryland, unc, notre dame, uva and wake plus other smaller schools.
ps the dline is done i think

Last edited:
bang bang. big get. christian rorie 6'5'' 267 lb de from raleigh commits. huge kid just growing into his frame. as his hs coach said ''he is just starting to grow into his size 18 shoes''. easily could grow into a dt by the time his red shirt year is over. he is raw but huge. picked us over offers from nc state, maryland, unc, notre dame, uva and wake plus other smaller schools.
ps the dline is done i think

Fantastic get!

OFC

so just a follow up on jacob monk at the opening. got noted for a dominant performance on tuesday. said he was arguably a top 3 interior lineman at the event behind mvp harry miller and 5 star kardell thomas. said he was oversetting early in the week but once he became more comfortable in the intense setting he started showing why 247 has him rated as a 4 star.

Enjoy our time with him, I feel schools will be knocking on his door for a HC gig soon. If the defense is a success this year (we have a lot of talent), his phone could start ringing in January.

Very valid point!

OFC

Will be great to see Duke getting good in football again. Remember watching them in the 60's when they had pretty good teams. Remember watching them win the cotton bowl in '61 or '62. In fact, I used to see a guy who played on that team at the little hole in the wall diner we eat at a lot. Last name is Bumgarner , and I remember covering his son , when I worked for the paper. He played at Duke also. I heard that he also had a son that played at Tarhole tech, but , I don't remember him. Think they both played at High Point Central.

People just don't realize what a power Duke was from the 30s to the 60s. Then our administration de-emphasized sports and all of them suffered. Don't get me wrong, I love having a ivy like reputation but Duke is well rounded enough to be great at both academics and athletics.

Will be great to see Duke getting good in football again. Remember watching them in the 60's when they had pretty good teams. Remember watching them win the cotton bowl in '61 or '62. In fact, I used to see a guy who played on that team at the little hole in the wall diner we eat at a lot. Last name is Bumgarner , and I remember covering his son , when I worked for the paper. He played at Duke also. I heard that he also had a son that played at Tarhole tech, but , I don't remember him. Think they both played at High Point Central.

Memory serves we had a pretty good interior lineman, (Tim Baumgarner) early 80s.....OFC

People just don't realize what a power Duke was from the 30s to the 60s. Then our administration de-emphasized sports and all of them suffered. Don't get me wrong, I love having a ivy like reputation but Duke is well rounded enough to be great at both academics and athletics.
hell yes , they are. Stanford , ND, etc . come to mind..

just a little fyi/tidbit on ben albert. the discussion about big schools coming after him made me think that i remembered something about his coming to duke in the first place. i found the article where he said one of the reasons he came to duke (plus he said it was an easy call for him) was that he and his family were coming to nc every summer anyway because he wanted them to get to know his mother who lives in greensboro. who knows this might buy us an extra year or two!!!!
ps in this write up they were talking about his impact on player development. one of the players mentioned was tre hornbuckle (who i mentioned a few days ago) who as a TRUE SOPHOMORE was one of only seven de in the acc to have 50 plus tackles and 9 plus tackles behind the line of scrimmage. think about that! in a league with all those draft picks from nc state and clemson and fsu and other dlines he was that big a standout. not bad for a rivals rated 5.4 two star kid

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT