ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

just a small ''but'' when it comes to bracey and by the same logic lloyd. both of these guys were the best athlete on their team in high school and both were the teams qb for years. both were projected as a wr but it takes time to learn to run good routes and to pick up the intangibles of the position. add in the wasted year of lloyd buried as a db (what a dumb move that was) and that is why they really havent hit their potential yet. lloyd had a good year finally as a rs junior and i am really looking forward to this years growth with him. i think the same will happen with bracey. he will get some burn this year but with rahming, lee, lloyd, taylor and young all being upperclassmen i think he has an uphill battle. the spring depth chart came out this week and he was listed as the back up to rahming.
spring depth chart at wr
Y position
lloyd
fuller
lee
X position
rahming
bracey
Z position
taylor OR young
damond johnson

Last edited:
just to follow up on my thought, when even a very good college wr is drafted by the nfl it normally takes 2 to 3 years for them make an impact. of course there are exceptions to this but that is maybe 1 out of 10 and if we throw out crowder as one. dont forget that on top of 4 years playing the position at duke he also played it all thru high school. that is a lot more on the job learning than the 2 years that bracey has had. also dont forget we have a new wr coach because the last one was a great recruiter but at best a mediocre position coach. lets all hope for good development at this position for a change

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
just some fyi
duke made top 5 for j r walker an athlete from elizabeth city nc. seems like we are behind nc state and south carolina in this one but we are still swinging.
nolan grouix a wr from cornelius nc just got an offer from us. vastley under rated by rivals. won the wr mvp at the charlotte elite camp. rated a 91 (4*) on rivals. had been committed to wisconson but just backed out. maybe?????

Reactions: smashmouth5
fyi
eli pancol a 6'3'' wr commit hit a 6'8'' high jump in an indiana state track meet this week. i had asked once before if anyone knew how good this is for a high jump because i just dont know. i cant stop grinning thinking that with his height and leaping ability that we might actually complete an end zone fade for once.

Reactions: hart2chesson
fyi
eli pancol a 6'3'' wr commit hit a 6'8'' high jump in an indiana state track meet this week. i had asked once before if anyone knew how good this is for a high jump because i just dont know. i cant stop grinning thinking that with his height and leaping ability that we might actually complete an end zone fade for once.

And Lord knows we need some taller wideouts Surf!!

OFC

huge news. austin parker our punter/field goal kicker from last year has been reinstated to the team. happy as hell he took on whatever caused him to be booted before the bowl game and made it right. 17-21 in fg attempts and 33-35 in xtra points last year. rated as 4th best kicker in acc last year.

i am not surprised by knight dropping. as poorly as the coaches called the running game last year i was kinda worried that teams recruiting him would keep pointing this out and i really cant say i am surprised. we play called miserably last year. cut said daniel was hurt last year and yet he still ran double digit times a game and we did not feed the stable. dumb dumb dumb. if i was a four star rb i would have to really look at the fact that duke uses the platoon system and i would be lucky to get 12 to 15 carries a game. that being said, he knew all this before he gave his verbal and talked about his looking at a 40 year plan.
really not happy with the greene drop. this really hurts. he is going to be a star.
supposedly davis said he was sticking last night but i still worry about kemp. he was a surprise when he popped so i just dont know with him.
monk and eli plus a few other guys said they were going to reach out and get everyone else back together. lets hope they can

Reactions: Devilinside
also seems that this funk might affect some future recruits. wandale robinson wr was ready to film a commitment video but that is now on hold. kentucky (home state) pushing him hard and ohio state just offered. CRAP

These guys commit so early without going thru the process. I can see why it’s happening, just sucks it happening to us.

i am not surprised by knight dropping. as poorly as the coaches called the running game last year i was kinda worried that teams recruiting him would keep pointing this out and i really cant say i am surprised. we play called miserably last year. cut said daniel was hurt last year and yet he still ran double digit times a game and we did not feed the stable. dumb dumb dumb. if i was a four star rb i would have to really look at the fact that duke uses the platoon system and i would be lucky to get 12 to 15 carries a game. that being said, he knew all this before he gave his verbal and talked about his looking at a 40 year plan.
really not happy with the greene drop. this really hurts. he is going to be a star.
supposedly davis said he was sticking last night but i still worry about kemp. he was a surprise when he popped so i just dont know with him.
monk and eli plus a few other guys said they were going to reach out and get everyone else back together. lets hope they can
Agree with everything you say, but I speculate that it goes deeper than that. We do not have a real offensive coordinator, just a special teams coordinator who is filling that slot. Big recent changes in the coaching staff. And, as you point out, predictable unimaginative play-calling. Unknowns on the defensive side because of the departure of Knowles, which may in the end turn out to have been a good thing.

i think the other big thing is the low low low number of duke players getting drafted. besides being far and away the worst team in the acc, even teams like coastal carolina and app st are sending more people to the nfl. hell even nc at&t had a draft pick this year as we pulled nada. both greene and knight can at least have thoughts of the nfl and truthfully duke isnt really showing that we can help them get there. i think we will have 2 top 3 round picks this year but until this happens highly ranked/highly thought of recruits look at us a risky place. here is hoping that the coaching changes help us climb the ladder

Just read that Duke is now in play for QB Hunter Johnson that is leaving Clemson. I think he was a 5 star coming out of high school. Do we have a shot and would he be Duke's first five star recruit? He would have to sit out this year and have 3 years of eligibility left.

i think the other big thing is the low low low number of duke players getting drafted. besides being far and away the worst team in the acc, even teams like coastal carolina and app st are sending more people to the nfl. hell even nc at&t had a draft pick this year as we pulled nada. both greene and knight can at least have thoughts of the nfl and truthfully duke isnt really showing that we can help them get there. i think we will have 2 top 3 round picks this year but until this happens highly ranked/highly thought of recruits look at us a risky place. here is hoping that the coaching changes help us climb the ladder

Jamison Crowder. Laken Tomlinson. If you are good enough the NFL will draft you. The fact they take division ii players is evidence of that. You could go to a big school and get lost in the sauce, or make your own mark at a small school. Only a few people get drafted, less than 1 percent of college football players will be NFL players. It's up to you to make your own way, no matter the road.

yes but we play in a power 5 conference where the vast majority of draft picks come from. this year P5 schools had 181 draft picks. all other div 1 schools had 51 total. FCS/DIV11 AND DIV111 had 23 total. the nfl will find you but we cant even get a player invited to the combine. laken and ross were 2 from a few years ago. the previous year we had cokrell go in the fourth. year before that we had renfree taken in the seventh. before that you have to go all the way to 2004 for drew strojny in the seventh and 2000 had chris combs in the sixth. thats six players drafted in the last 18 years. not a good track record to sell to higher ranked kids. the acc as usual finished second to the sec with overall draft picks this year.
by school
bc 3
clemson 3
fsu 6
louisville 4
miami 6
nc state 7
unc 3
nd 4
pitt 3
syracuse 1
uva 2
va tech 5
wake 2
similar academic schools
cal 2
northwestern 1
vandy 1
i think we are getting a few kids to the nfl over the next few years so this will help. i keep hearing from lots of people that this is what unc and nc state are pointing out to our instate kids (our failure to move kids on). it sux but we really cant fight it. cut is improving the team but we were so far down its tough.

Vince Ogobasse was a 5-star if I am not mistaken. Cut has to prove himself in preparing players for the NFL. Hard to do without a real OC and constantly changing staff. There are a number of NFL players who were 3 and 4 stars coming out of high school. Cut simply has to do a better job with what he has.

Reactions: skysdad
Jamison Crowder. Laken Tomlinson. If you are good enough the NFL will draft you. The fact they take division ii players is evidence of that. You could go to a big school and get lost in the sauce, or make your own mark at a small school. Only a few people get drafted, less than 1 percent of college football players will be NFL players. It's up to you to make your own way, no matter the road.
I agree and I was looking forward to Greene playing at Duke. I see Clemson is on his list.

bang bang. we got a commitment from sayyid stevens. he is 6'2'' 227 lbs. plays at calvary day schiool in savannah ga. he is listed as a de but we signed him as a lb. has 20 offers but no power 5 offers. his tape looks good. very quick for his size

The word I get from my Clemson friends who have close ties with football program is that Johnson is a lock. He needs to clear academically. He can throw any type of pass but needs to develop his understanding of the position. Cut is the one to bring him along.

Committed to Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT