ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

been following this for a couple of days. really didnt think they would hire him but heh they did so more power to him. i also hope albert gets the nod but what does that mean for dereck jones? lots of things in play that need to be worked out. also dont forget albert has never been a dc so he will be taking on a lot of duties. will he keep coaching the dl? do we switch to a 4-3 instead of 4-2-5? lots of moving parts.

been following this for a couple of days. really didnt think they would hire him but heh they did so more power to him. i also hope albert gets the nod but what does that mean for dereck jones? lots of things in play that need to be worked out. also dont forget albert has never been a dc so he will be taking on a lot of duties. will he keep coaching the dl? do we switch to a 4-3 instead of 4-2-5? lots of moving parts.

My confidence in DJ running the secondary has always been shaky at best. Duke tends to give up a lot of long pass plays. However his longevity under Cut probably sets him up nicely from a politcal POV for the opening.

OFC

just an fyi
cut and dj at CB kendrick torain house yesterday for in home. highly thought of defensive back. 6' 2'' 195 lbs from tampa.
offers are wow. USF, LOUISVILLE, MARYLAND, UCLA, AUBURN, GEORGIA, NC STATE, NEBRASKA, UNC, PITT, TENNESSEE, UCF, VANDY, VA TECH, UVA, WISCONSON
i think we get him. visiting us this weekend. fingers crossed.

just an fyi
cut and dj at CB kendrick torain house yesterday for in home. highly thought of defensive back. 6' 2'' 195 lbs from tampa.
offers are wow. USF, LOUISVILLE, MARYLAND, UCLA, AUBURN, GEORGIA, NC STATE, NEBRASKA, UNC, PITT, TENNESSEE, UCF, VANDY, VA TECH, UVA, WISCONSON

Wow sounds like a potential GREAT GET!!!

OFC

just an fyi

That IS a stout offer sheet.

keep your eyes open cause good news coming. after KT makes it official then i think the last piece this year ia a graduate transfer for the ot spot

ps they just made it official with KT. really good pickup this late.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Nope. Only other thing they will be looking at is a grad transfer for the OT position. Maybe a grad transfer kicker but I doubt they find one

What amazes me is that the top 10 or so schools sign 26 players each year. Duke takes like 14. Can I assume that the top teams run off players from the team in order to stay under the scholarship limit, while Duke doesn't do that? Seems really creepy and underhanded to me and I don't understand why the NCAA lets the top teams get away with it. Oh, wait, it's the NCAA...

yeah it kinda sucks that schools do that. go back and count how many butch was signing every year at UT. bad karma.
okay so no real big news. cole carteaux signs as a preferred walk on. 6' 2'' lb/s out of florida. did not go to any camps so kinda unknown but 2 yr starter. senior year had 90 tackles, 4 inteceptions, 3 forced fumbles and 3 recoveries. runs a 4.68 fourty time. sounds like a good kid to develop. also matt eklund out of naples fla signs as a preferred walk on kicker

Not excited about preferred walkon's. Can't remember any who were major contributors. Usually just practice fodder.

Still valuable contributors just not on game day. Maybe some of you might have a different take.

A preferred walk on kicker might be a kid who just didn't get to kick much on his HS team. My attitude is the more the better as far as kickers go.

coaching changes announced this afternoon. ben albert and matt guerrieri co defensive coordinators. zac roper and derek jones also get more words added to their titles. the big news is they went slightly outside a small box and hired a LB coach from louisiana tech. seems young and very good. at his school before tech he was also the recruiting coordinator.coached several all conf type guys while the lb coach. i say small box because he started all 4 years at lb in college at ole miss. there is the connection but after reading about him i am excited. only thing i kinda dont like is zac getting more titles and power.

coaching changes announced this afternoon. ben albert and matt guerrieri co defensive coordinators. zac roper and derek jones also get more words added to their titles. the big news is they went slightly outside a small box and hired a LB coach from louisiana tech. seems young and very good. at his school before tech he was also the recruiting coordinator.coached several all conf type guys while the lb coach. i say small box because he started all 4 years at lb in college at ole miss. there is the connection but after reading about him i am excited. only thing i kinda dont like is zac getting more titles and power.

Surf I am hoping Albert is the CHIEF DC, as I dont see how two CO DC's can work well together. I see Jones promo as a means of pacifying him since he was passed over for the position. Good news about the new LB coach!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
so new verbal from jalen alexander CB 6' 160lbs
really good pick up. way underrated by rivals. really good turn of hips. gonna be a good one.
look at his offers and tell me those for a borderline three star 5.6 guy
auburn, cincy, indiana, kentucky, louisville, maryland, michigan state, minnesota, miss state, mizzu, oklahoma, oregan state, south carolina, syracuse, vandy, wake, wvu and wisconsin.
those are the power 5 offers. he has more

Reactions: hart2chesson
surf devil I admit I don't attend Duke football games simply because of the ticket price and the parking. I have a hard time walking a great distance and I know there's the handicap provision but I do catch all the televised ones although the team doesn't get the T.V. time like the basketball team does. Back in the day I went right much which was the 70's. I have a pretty good friend who played center for Duke back then. Used to go see him on week ends at his dad's sporting goods store in our home town during the off season and summers. Billy Bryan's his name and he is a wonderful person. He's retired from his second profession as an FBI agent. Haven't seen him in a while though. It's pretty much the same way with basketball. I don't go unless my Iron Duke buddy calls. I wish you would post a little on the basketball team. To me a Duke fan is a Duke fan. Once again thanks for your in put. OFC

Thanks for the update surf, sounds like a great addition.

Sky - my dad graduated a couple years before BB, did you attend Williams also?

Thanks for the update surf, sounds like a great addition.

Sky - my dad graduated a couple years before BB, did you attend Williams also?

No. Went to Western Alamance but knew a bunch of Williams folks from that time. What's his name if you don't mind. OFC

Names familiar. Will try to put the face with the name. OFC

I spent three years in Burlington in the early 70's. I spent two years at Alamance Tech. Only Duke fan I remember was a guy named Phil Poteat. Knew a couple girls from Williams named West and Norris. Want give their first names as to not get them in trouble with their current spouses.

Billy Bryan, brother played center on the Spurrier teams. Can't remember his first name. Billy had a good career with the Bronco's.

I spent three years in Burlington in the early 70's. I spent two years at Alamance Tech. Only Duke fan I remember was a guy named Phil Poteat. Knew a couple girls from Williams named West and Norris. Want give their first names as to not get them in trouble with their current spousesOk .

Billy Bryan, brother played center on the Spurrier teams. Can't remember his first name. Billy had a good career with the Bronco's.

OK Dukeman. I'm Phil Poteat. Are you Wade ? OFC

OK Dukeman. I'm Phil Poteat. Are you Wade ? OFC

That would be me. Surprised that anyone would have remembered me from those years. A long time ago.

The reason I remembered you is probably because you and I were probably the only Duke fans in Burlington those years. Pretty dark years for Duke basketball back then.

Small world, one of the reasons I started posting over here is because I enjoyed your post's so much. Never would have imagined that skysdad would be you.

That would be me. Surprised that anyone would have remembered me from those years. A long time ago.

The reason I remembered you is probably because you and I were probably the only Duke fans in Burlington those years. Pretty dark years for Duke basketball back then.

Small world, one of the reasons I started posting over here is because I enjoyed your post's so much. Never would have imagined that skysdad would be you.

I remember you well Wade. I believe your family had something to do with Mt.Olive pickles but I might be wrong. Thanks for the compliment. I am what I am.

There weren't a lot of Duke fans for sure but I remember how passionate you were and we became friends. There were a few Duke fans that went to T.I.A. at the time. Jimmy Parker, Tommy Forrester, Mike Chandler and Dale Thompson to name a few but some of them weren't as passionate about Duke as you and I. On the basketball board I try to tell these guys how tough it was to be a Duke fan in those days. By the way my son is a poster here. His nickname is DukeSky85. The only child my wife and I have but his has 3 children boys 6 and 4 and a princess that is 1. The heel fans would just gang up. We gave them some good games in football but they owned us in BB for a time. Start posting more please especially on the BB side. I hate the football board got hacked. Do you get to any games football or basketball? Found you on face book and saw you didn't go on there much . I sent you a personal message. OFC

What a memory you have Phil. I'm amazed. Yes their was a Mt Olive Pickle family connection. I remember Jimmy Parker, he was a good friend those years.

Kind of loss contact with everyone after I moved to Raleigh.

What a memory you have Phil. I'm amazed. Yes their was a Mt Olive Pickle family connection. I remember Jimmy Parker, he was a good friend those years.

Kind of loss contact with everyone after I moved to Raleigh.

Keep posting. I'll be looking for them. OFC

Sky I would like to get you my number so we could reminisce and talk Duke basketball and football sometime.

so some fyi stuff
we had our first junior day last weekend and it went well one commitment plus lots of really good feed back from the kids. seems that the staff is telling them we will have a bigger class this year than last years 16 kids. very interesting. we have 12 true seniors or red shirt seniors plus two open schollies that i hope we use on a senior grad transfer OT or kicker this year. that is 14. there is a lot of buzz that barring injury both joe giles-harris and mark gilbert could declare for the draft if they have the great years we are hoping for. that takes us to 16.
red shirt juniors next year are OG zach baker CB brandon feamster WR keyston fuller LB jgh QB quenton harris S jordan hayes QB daniel jones DT trevon mcswain DE twazanga mugala and WR aaron young. i would not be suprised if harris transfers to get playing time somewhere. also dont see mugala getting much time with the young studs we have started getting on dline. also jordan hayes just had a baby so unless he sees a pro career he might want to start a career. add in that unfortunate injury or two i can see us taking 20 or so this go round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT