ADVERTISEMENT

Duke-Carolina Freshman Game

What Would Jesus Do?

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
[I posted this on the UNC board and thought you guys might like to toss it around on your own board.]

This year each school has a high-ranked (nearly tied) 6-man squad. Even better, each class covers every position.

If they played, who would win? Assume they have had a preseason of coaching and playing together.

Since they can't go to the bench for more than one person, let's assume a shorter game. Say 20 minutes total, divided into 5-minute quarters. That should alleviate concerns about fouls and stamina.
Code:
UNC                      Duke
Rk  Ps Player  Hgt  Wgt  Rk  Ps Player     Hgt  Wgt
013 PG Love    6'03 170  022 PG Roach      6'02 180
046 SG Davis   5'11 164  025 SG Steward    6'03 165
063 SF Johnson 6'07 185  012 SF Johnson    6'08 215
021 PF Kessler 7'00 245  040 PF Brakefield 6'08 210
014 Cn Sharpe  6'10 246  027 Cn Williams   7'00 225
118 SG Walton  6'05 195  051 PF Coleman    6'08 240

I think I’d give us the edge slightly at PG and SG. I’d say our most overwhelming advantage is with JJ. UNC notable advantages with Kessler and Sharpe.

I think I’d give us the edge slightly at PG and SG. I’d say our most overwhelming advantage is with JJ. UNC notable advantages with Kessler and Sharpe.

Remember there's always our ace in the hole. The PTRF. ;) OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
Is this FR? or all newcomers because I think that changes things.
Roach/Love is kind of a push with Roach being the better floor general and Love bein the better scorer.
Steward/Davis will be fun to watch because both of those guys look to score.
J Johnson/P Johnson is advantage Duke. Nothing to say.
Williams, Brakefield, Coleman, (Tape')/ Kessler,Sharp has to be looked at few ways. In the paint, defending/rebounding, facing up, and scoring. On paper, the UNC duo far exceeds the Duke bunch based on ranking and such, but the Duke guys, well no one really knows what Duke will get from. Some points here: Corey Evans always makes mention of Williams being a possible OAD type big and if that hold true than hi impact is huge for Duke. In addition, there are so many question marks regarding what Tape' will produce coming from the Ivy League and taking last season off. Now throw in Brakefield's skills set and Coleman's motor and that bunch could end up being exactly what Duke needed.

Better questions are:
How does Hurt make up with the returning SR UNC 4

Reactions: Liftee
I know Tape isn't a freshman, but he probably matches up better than Williams against that frontcourt. At least we have 10 fouls to give between him and Williams. Coleman is another big body we can throw in there. The two teams look pretty even on paper, will probably be determined by who unexpectedly balls out.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Personally I don't see it with Kessler, maybe down the road he will be an impact guy, but as a Freshman at UNC I don't think we should worry about him too much. Besides, Roy likes his bigs down at the rim attacking the offensive glass, Kessler wants to stand way out and shoot three's.
Sharpe on the other hand, terrifies me.

This is a fun concept, but the truth is, UNX can only play its bigs 2 at a time so their advantage down low between the freshmen is misleading. Also I think Coleman would be ideal for this situation because his bulk and motor would give the UNX bigs fits.

Reactions: DukeNation12
We would need to start Coleman to give us more size in the post against UNC’s bigs

Coleman better be ready for prime time if we're relying on him that much. He's rated around where DeLaurier was as a recruit.

I don't expect a ton from Coleman year 1, if he does contribute, it should be a bonus. I think the staff was absolutely determined to get another big (Tape') for a reason.
Williams, Tape', Hurt can all play the 5.
Hurt, Johnson, and possibly Brakefield can play the 4.

Now Coleman in year 2 or year 3...watch out.

I don't expect a ton from Coleman year 1, if he does contribute, it should be a bonus. I think the staff was absolutely determined to get another big (Tape') for a reason.
Williams, Tape', Hurt can all play the 5.
Hurt, Johnson, and possibly Brakefield can play the 4.

Now Coleman in year 2 or year 3...watch out.
I completely agree with this. I don’t expect much from Coleman this year.

I like our incoming guys a lot; I just think people are expecting top 15 recruit production and that seems best case scenario to me. Johnson is the exception of course. (although I doubt he is Tatum/Ingram/ Parker ready either, but I've been wrong before). That's why we need the vets to play like vets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192 and Liftee
I like our incoming guys a lot; I just think people are expecting top 15 recruit production and that seems best case scenario to me. Johnson is the exception of course. (although I doubt he is Tatum/Ingram/ Parker ready either, but I've been wrong before). That's why we need the vets to play like vets.
I think Johnson will be excellent next year.

Based upon the original post of a 20 minutes game of the 6 incoming recruited freshmen from each team, I would favor UNC by 1.5 points. Unless you have big men rated in the top 5, it all comes down to the scoring guards when freshmen are involved. Roach is a pass-first PG, and Love is a scoring PG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT