ADVERTISEMENT

Duke beat writer takes a peak ahead at next year-

Baker can't play the 2. No way, no how.

Joey, if you're reading this, love you, bro. But play the 3.

No way Alex starts at 2 ahead of Stanley unless all we play and all we see are zone defenses. Baker needs to get stronger .He may be playing some PF in 2020/21.

I doubt the starting lineup in November will be the same as in March. This season more than any other will see development and improvement as the season progresses. That will be fun to watch.

why do incoming recruits get higher regard than returning players or previously vaunted recruits? Shiny objects with no history or experience except against HS talent. I'd give Baker a good shot at starting having had a year of college practice against an amazing group vs an incoming 18 yo.
There is always talk about how players have to earn time yet incoming recruits are granted starting spots on the team? Bit hypocrytical. I'd like to see Coach K show some loyalty to Baker, AOC and give them time to prove/disprove that they deserve their spot.

why do incoming recruits get higher regard than returning players or previously vaunted recruits? Shiny objects with no history or experience except against HS talent. I'd give Baker a good shot at starting having had a year of college practice against an amazing group vs an incoming 18 yo.
There is always talk about how players have to earn time yet incoming recruits are granted starting spots on the team? Bit hypocrytical. I'd like to see Coach K show some loyalty to Baker, AOC and give them time to prove/disprove that they deserve their spot.
Sometimes it’s just that simple. Who would you have started over:
RJ
Zion
Cam
Tre

MB3
Wendell
Duvall
Gary

Tatum (only one who was “guaranteed” a starting spot.

Reactions: hart2chesson
To my knowledge it hasn't occurred often and/or we have not even had that luxury of a strong bench to pick and choose.

Though I understand the frustration. Can you offer some examples where this happened

To my knowledge it hasn't occurred often and/or we have not even had that luxury of a strong bench to pick and choose.

Though I understand the frustration. Can you offer some examples where this happened
You’re right. No real debate on whether any of the kids coming in aren’t deserving of starting. But I think it’s debatable whether Cam should have played the minutes he did. The other one was Giles. I think he played more for the nba to see that he was healing. I don’t think he was healthy enough to have really helped Duke his one season.

I think Joey could start at the 3, then slide Moore to the 2. Bring AOC and Stanley in for shooting, Goldwire for the press.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Yep Jack white should have gotten most of Zion’s minutes.

Reactions: christophero
The only guarantee is Tre starting at PG, highly likely that Hurt and Carey start at the 4 and 5 spots. I think the 2 / 3 positions are endlessly debatable. Stanley and Moore are both projected to be good college players but how well their play translates to this next level in college is an unknown factor. We also have no idea how much progression (if any) Baker, AOC and Jack will make over the summer. I get that it’s fun to project these things, but at the same time it’s almost impossible. Coach K at this point probably can’t even predict it.

Mildly contradicting what I just said, I think this article sucks. I have no idea how he projects Baker into the starting lineup when he nearly redshirted and logged 10 minutes all year. It’s possible, but I’m not sure how this past season translates him into a starter for this upcoming one. Offensively, Tre never really ran our offense this year. We played heavily positionless and K has noted that he wants this style to be Duke basketball. I’m not dis-crediting Tre because it was out of his control via our play style, but our offensive efficiency wasn’t due to his presence. Ken-Pom doesn’t count Orebs as new possessions, our high offensive efficiency rating was mostly thanks to that. Kind of silly to me that the writer also projects either Q or Jav to return, not both. I’d be shocked if they weren’t both in a Duke jersey next year.

Just my 2 cents.
(@hart2chesson I said this article sucked because I heavily disagree, I’m glad you posted it - creates good discussion. Didn’t want you to take that wrong.)

Reactions: christophero
The shiny new toys always look better. If Baker had stayed in h.s. we would be saying he's the next Singler. I do worry that we count so much on these guys to be studs out of the gate. That's why I really think we need experience backing up Carey and Hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT