ADVERTISEMENT

DRAFT NIGHT

Since they didn't get drafted, what does everyone think the chances are that Amile and Matt will get picked up by an NBA team as unrestricted free agents?

Count me in the camp that Frank screwed up..the people in his ear cost him millions...he could have been a lottery pick next year...
I hated to see where he went and how low he went. But it is what it is now. Best of luck to him. Of course he still isn't in the league yet. He can get cut now. Nothing guaranteed at 39 except a look with the team.

I hated to see where he went and how low he went. But it is what it is now. Best of luck to him. Of course he still isn't in the league yet. He can get cut now. Nothing guaranteed at 39 except a look with the team.
Didn't most people see this coming. In most mocks this is about where everyone had him going. When will some of these parents and kids learn

I don't understand the idea that since he didn't come back for another year (to then become a lottery pick and good player in the league) that since he went this year and was a second rounder now somehow he'll bounce around the D-league. How does that work?

Since they didn't get drafted, what does everyone think the chances are that Amile and Matt will get picked up by an NBA team as unrestricted free agents?
If Amile can work on the 15-20 foot shot, he could get picked up. He has the size the league likes. I don't recall him ever taking that shot while at Duke. See no way Matt Jones gets into the league, unless somehow he gets quicker and improves his shot.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree. Getting drafted in the 2nd round is worthless and you're almost better off not getting drafted and being an UFA. Say what you want but I can tell you that this move was at absolute most generous, questionable .

I'm proud of you timo :D

I don't understand the idea that since he didn't come back for another year (to then become a lottery pick and good player in the league) that since he went this year and was a second rounder now somehow he'll bounce around the D-league. How does that work?
Because getting drafted in the second round isn't a guaranteed contact. You still have to make the team which means you're competing with NBA journeymen. It's much more difficult. If he comes back has a good season he most assuredly gets drafted in the first round in a weaker draft and gets a guaranteed contract. I wish him the best and hope it works out don't get me wrong, but this has to sting big time because it was easily avoidable. Sometimes it's ok to be a kid and a college student.

Reactions: germantondevil
Because getting drafted in the second round isn't a guaranteed contact. You still have to make the team which means you're competing with NBA journeymen. It's much more difficult. If he comes back has a good season he most assuredly gets drafted in the first round in a weaker draft and gets a guaranteed contract. I wish him the best and hope it works out don't get me wrong, but this has to sting big time because it was easily avoidable. Sometimes it's ok to be a kid and a college student.

Also, more undrafted free agents played in NBA games last year than 2nd round draft picks.

Also, more undrafted free agents played in NBA games last year than 2nd round draft picks.
I also think it's arguably better to not get drafted than to get drafted in the second round, where you can then workout for a bunch of teams.

Jay B, Jalen Rose and a few others admitted one fact last night, outside of the top 5 players everyone else is the same potential and talent wise. I do not doubt for a minute Amile will not be on someone's 15 man roster come November 1st.

On the surface, this is a mistake for Frank. But what if he didn't want to be at Duke? That's kind of the elephant in the room. We don't know the behind the scenes happenings. Maybe some of the whispers we've heard are true? I don't know. I'm as disappointed in his decision as the rest of you....but if Duke isn't where he wanted to be, then did we really want him?

All that said, I think he could have been scary good next season at Duke. Scary good.

Frank rolled the dice and lost a better shot guaranteed money, but gained a year on the job. If he plays great and earns a decent contract, it won't matter much. If he gets injured or something like that, he'll regret it. I think he's fine taking this path. The guy didn't like being in college. That's not a crime.

Since everyone is speculating about Frank Jackson, that it was a mistake, or he didn't like college, I'll do my own speculating.
He didn't like sitting behind Matt Jones, didn't like becoming Dukes starting point guard near the end of the season, didn't like 'only' playing 25 minutes a game, now didn't like possible court time issues with Duval on board and a crowded backcourt. Or he thinks he's good enough to be with the big boys and giving it a shot. Good luck Frank, hope you make it

I also think it's arguably better to not get drafted than to get drafted in the second round, where you can then workout for a bunch of teams.
Agree that it is better to be undrafted as opposed to the second but both Duhon, Singler and Boozer were second round pick who managed to make it.Hope Frank has the same luck

Since everyone is speculating about Frank Jackson, that it was a mistake, or he didn't like college, I'll do my own speculating.
He didn't like sitting behind Matt Jones, didn't like becoming Dukes starting point guard near the end of the season, didn't like 'only' playing 25 minutes a game, now didn't like possible court time issues with Duval on board and a crowded backcourt. Or he thinks he's good enough to be with the big boys and giving it a shot. Good luck Frank, hope you make it

Those are all certain possibilities. I still have a hard time concluding he was 'behind' Matt or should have taken issue with 'only' playing 25 minutes per game. The expectations some kids have today are off the charts. I interviewed a recent college graduate less than three months ago (for a sales gig) who expected to make $75K+ right off the bat without selling a thing. I damn near feel out of my chair. But I digress.

But truthfully, if he was afraid of the competition at Duke next season....well, then he has little to no hope in the NBA. The players in the NBA are going to be better than Duke's backcourt.

I hope he makes it, too. IMO, he's an incredible talent who I foresaw having a big sophomore year at Duke and being, at minimum, one of our top two scorers (and even potentially making a similar rise as what we saw from Luke last season). I'll continue to say he's a guy I see playing in the NBA for a long time. Talent is one thing he is not short on.

Can't wait to watch the draft and rub it in this dudes face..btw give me 30 or so I forgot how many teams there are but guys u would take before him then.pleasee! Give me something to attack :).u could just go copy and paste a mock but most have frank in the first now ;) ..I'm guessing..that's a guess...have no clue lmao. the other Jackson? :) I do agree though he'll probally go to the D league..just blows my mind why u would t take a chance late 1st on him ...he looked good at thecombine for a reason ..he's good

So, you ready to rub it in my face?

Reactions: pisgah101
I really think Frank could've been a first rounder in 2018, but I can't fault him for leaving.

The ACC is killing it thus far
Q, Jackson could have been a lottery pick if he had stayed. In the short term, he made a bad financial decision. I am not sure who he ultimately listened top in regards to where he would be drafted, but if he had listened to coach K......It is his life an his decision and I repect that, however I can certainly find a few ways to question him for leaving.

I'm just gonna say it, frank will hardly be remembered in Duke fans minds 5 years from now, at best an afterthought except maybe as a cautionary tale.

Best of luck to him and may he be a great NBA player.

Very happy for Harry, in a spot where he'll get some real playing time.

Q, Jackson could have been a lottery pick if he had stayed. In the short term, he made a bad financial decision. I am not sure who he ultimately listened top in regards to where he would be drafted, but if he had listened to coach K......It is his life an his decision and I repect that, however I can certainly find a few ways to question him for leaving.

He had a really good combine, but I think they let that play in their minds too much. He was never seen as anything better than a top 23 to 25 pick....and there just aren't enough guarantees when that's the case. It only gives you six to eight spots to land, and with the landscape the way it is, a team would was thought to take him might have had another player they liked better fall to them. It's a shame for Frank, but it's the reality of the situation.

Lastly, I hate reading into things....but did anyone else think the handshake and mock hug with Jon last night after he was drafted was a little chilly? He also didn't speak to anything about Duke, while all of the other guys had pretty glowing things to say. Again, I'm maybe reading into that a bit....but it was just something I noticed.

Since Frank's performance as our starting pg in March I wonder if in fact we had him starting pg from DAY ONE if things would have turned out better last season. Kid was a freak of an athlete, good shooter and Duke needed all available firepower on floor for points last year. We were no defensive juggernaut, and Matt Jones D and intangibles werent going to make much difference IMO.

However you can't look back. I dont think Frank is "afraid" of anything. I just think he wanted to go ahead and start playing the 1 at the next level. Wish him the best....OFC

Those are all certain possibilities. I still have a hard time concluding he was 'behind' Matt or should have taken issue with 'only' playing 25 minutes per game. The expectations some kids have today are off the charts. I interviewed a recent college graduate less than three months ago (for a sales gig) who expected to make $75K+ right off the bat without selling a thing. I damn near feel out of my chair. But I digress.

But truthfully, if he was afraid of the competition at Duke next season....well, then he has little to no hope in the NBA. The players in the NBA are going to be better than Duke's backcourt.

I hope he makes it, too. IMO, he's an incredible talent who I foresaw having a big sophomore year at Duke and being, at minimum, one of our top two scorers (and even potentially making a similar rise as what we saw from Luke last season). I'll continue to say he's a guy I see playing in the NBA for a long time. Talent is one thing he is not short on.
Agree with what you're saying. I know Matt has been the subject of a lot of debate over his time at Duke. Just my 'recliner coach' opinion but I personally would have loved seeing Frank starting the whole year beside Grayson and Luke, with Matt logging 15-20 minutes a game. That's where I use a 'possible' reason as to how he felt. Nothing against Matt at all folks, I just compare him to a Nate Britt. Spell some guys, play some d and maybe score a few points. Frank is a freak athlete, who really has no areas that he's bad at, just needs time to hone in what God blessed him with

If Amile can work on the 15-20 foot shot, he could get picked up. He has the size the league likes. I don't recall him ever taking that shot while at Duke. See no way Matt Jones gets into the league, unless somehow he gets quicker and improves his shot.

No Matt's D league or overseas....Excellent coach someday...OFC

He had a really good combine, but I think they let that play in their minds too much. He was never seen as anything better than a top 23 to 25 pick....and there just aren't enough guarantees when that's the case. It only gives you six to eight spots to land, and with the landscape the way it is, a team would was thought to take him might have had another player they liked better fall to them. It's a shame for Frank, but it's the reality of the situation.

Lastly, I hate reading into things....but did anyone else think the handshake and mock hug with Jon last night after he was drafted was a little chilly? He also didn't speak to anything about Duke, while all of the other guys had pretty glowing things to say. Again, I'm maybe reading into that a bit....but it was just something I noticed.
Once Utah traded for the rights to Donovan Mitchell, Jackson was not going in the first round. I do agree that after the combine, they got ahead of themselves. I do like Jackson and wish him well though. We all make iffy decisions when put on the spot at times.

I noticed the tension, however I am going to chalk that up to the realization that he made a bad business decision and was dealing with that at the time.

Reactions: topps coach
Really happy that Luke wound up with the Pistons. He's EXACTLY what we needed and I think he'll thrive under Van Gundy.

Well guys -- you can flip the "Bozo-bit" on me.

Frank didn't make it in the first round like he was trending. Instead he was first pick second round. I didn't see he's reaction, but from what I gather, he was disappointed.

I think he'll be fine, better than fine actually.

He left early because he was unsure of his role on the Blue Devils team next season. And you know what, I don't blame him at all and kind of agree with him. His presence was creating a logjam with one, young Mr. Duval. Frank took a risk -- I thought it was a stupid risk.

Man -- I was wrong. I thought he would go undrafted. I think he proved to everyone that he will do WELL in the league. Why did he drop? Did he have foot surgery before the draft? I think so, but honestly don't know.

I was flat-out wrong about his prospects of getting drafted in a LOADED pool and he did it. He might go to the G-League. I think that is fine, but he'll get called up a lot and he'll be gunning to the hoop.

The smartest thing I heard last night in the draft was from Jay Bilas. He said that guys use to worry about being drafted as high as possible. NOW, they are just looking to get signed and then get the $$ on the second contract. That actually makes sense to me.

So Frank failed? Hardly. Look forward to seeing him in the NBA in the following years. Nice job Blue Devil!

Well guys -- you can flip the "Bozo-bit" on me.

Frank didn't make it in the first round like he was trending. Instead he was first pick second round. I didn't see he's reaction, but from what I gather, he was disappointed.

I think he'll be fine, better than fine actually.

He left early because he was unsure of his role on the Blue Devils team next season. And you know what, I don't blame him at all and kind of agree with him. His presence was creating a logjam with one, young Mr. Duval. Frank took a risk -- I thought it was a stupid risk.

Man -- I was wrong. I thought he would go undrafted. I think he proved to everyone that he will do WELL in the league. Why did he drop? Did he have foot surgery before the draft? I think so, but honestly don't know.

I was flat-out wrong about his prospects of getting drafted in a LOADED pool and he did it. He might go to the G-League. I think that is fine, but he'll get called up a lot and he'll be gunning to the hoop.

The smartest thing I heard last night in the draft was from Jay Bilas. He said that guys use to worry about being drafted as high as possible. NOW, they are just looking to get signed and then get the $$ on the second contract. That actually makes sense to me.

So Frank failed? Hardly. Look forward to seeing him in the NBA in the following years. Nice job Blue Devil!

Frank will do well and get to play MORE PG in NBA next yr than he would have at Duke this yr! OFC

Thought so also. I've been wrong a lot though in my time

I thought Jackson was a good player but not really better than Thornton the year before. Jackson had mental lapses where he would just lose the ball and I never felt comfortable with his handle. He was a good slasher and better than average shooter but mostly just a good athlete with above average skills. I think he has a lot of work to do to be a pro point guard. Perhaps he'll make it but it could take a few years.

The "chilly feeling" might be that Frank was thinking about the teams that gave him the impression that he was going higher. Jon was there because Frank invited him. I don't think Frank would do that only to give Jon the cold shoulder.

I could be wrong, but that is how I would read that.

Imo Frank made the wrong decision, but I also understand that there was a lot of chatter that Trevon scared him. Look at Luke, coming back a year helped him millions literally, just hope Chris Chrisley doesn't persuade him into bad financial decisions :)

Thought the exact same thing. More so the interview than the half hearted hug.

The "chilly feeling" might be that Frank was thinking about the teams that gave him the impression that he was going higher. Jon was there because Frank invited him. I don't think Frank would do that only to give Jon the cold shoulder.

I could be wrong, but that is how I would read that.
Frank didn't invite Jon

ADVERTISEMENT