ADVERTISEMENT

Dominican Republic trip cancelled

The majority of Duke fans/friends I have spoken with are still somewhat floored by the news SO CLOSE to the trip, and seem to think theres more to it. I guess I fall into that camp as well.

I guess part of it stems from what seems to be so much drama we've seemingly had over the last yr w/the program.By the same token look what our coach has experienced in just over the last year (is this 6 surgeries in 15 mos?) He may simply be wearing down right before us...OFC

Having worked in the OR, with a good portion of time spent in hip/knee replacements, it is very strange that it's suddenly being decided to do this. Of course we don't know the extent of his clinical history, but the fact that we hadn't heard a peep about this previously makes it somewhat suspect. If indeed true, I wish coach the best in his surgery and outcome.

Just watch: Now EVERYBODY is going to get in 3 free days of practice for a "trip," then cancel it so the coach can have knee surgery. Once again, K is the master innovator! What a recruiting pitch: "I'll have knee surgery to get you 3 extra days of practice." Of course, it's totally unfair once Calipari catches wind of this; he has 8 knees, after all...

Last edited:
If that's what you were referring to, then ok. timo, thanks for the heads up people have opinions, I wasn't sure.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
Coack K seems like he's taking one for the team. I bet ya'll there's some other reason we're not wanting to go and this is a PR cover. I'm sure he needs the surgery, but the timing makes no sense. He could've done it earlier. It's not like the pain just started.

Question: does this count as our once per 4 year trip now that we've been granted early practices?

Do you know something the rest of us don't know. Now you have me speculating. Speculating could mean a lot of things. Please share with us what you know. OFC

Reactions: Quavarius
Extremely and anyone who don't has blinders on

I have blinders on. It seems a few of us feel something is going on that is not quite on the up and up within the Duke basketball program. If any of you know what's going on please let it be known. Are we going to have hear it from another source such as guru gary-7,flatarheel/frankthetarheel. For goodness sake they seem to know all the inside info. OFC

What do you think he is covering. OFC
I have no clue; his statement just seemed odd to me. What if they were not pleased with accomodations and didn't want to embarass someone in the DR? What if one of our players could not go for an embarassing reason? There's also the Bagley/chemistry thing. It just doesn't seem likely to me that K would all the sudden decide his knee is the reason to cancel such well made plans. It feels like he's protecting something else. If he felt like his knee was that important to the season, he would've gotten the work done earlier in the summer. I feel like the team could travel without him too, unless chemistry is really that big of a concern.

I will reiterate that none of this bothers me. K is a master mentor and program steward. I trust his strategy whether there is more to this or not.

If his knee needed this sudden attention, then he did the right thing. It's his team, he's the coach. He can't control if he gets sick or hurt during regular season. Overall, this means nothing. With everything that has happened with him and program over the years, it's easy to see why people start speculating. Maybe this is a sign that Bagley is coming and K doesn't want to go if he isn't cleared before they fly out, which would be the right decision

Okay, so K has had a run of orthopaedic surgeries. This is not like he's got COPD, or congestive heart failure, liver disease, etc., just means he probably has a lot of osteoarthritis of his joints...like I do. I've had 5 operations myself, and need several more, which I've put off.

Chronic pain, and how it affects you is something that would be hard to describe unless you've experienced it yourself. Believe me, you can be 'grinding it out' day by day, and then all the sudden you feel like you can't stand it anymore...then perhaps the next day you change your mind again, and decide you don't want to go through with another surgery (and the rehab that goes with it). That's what I've did for quite awhile now (flip flopping to do or not), but I'm not the coach of a major basketball program. K has a lot of responsibility...to his employer, his players, his coaches, his family, and last but not least, to himself. I'm sure he's given this a lot of thought, and doing what he feels is the best thing...for everyone.

And finally, he's just about replaced all the lower weight bearing joints...he should be good to go for awhile :), and I expect to see him coaching for another 5 years, or even more.

OFC

Okay, so K has had a run of orthopaedic surgeries. This is not like he's got COPD, or congestive heart failure, liver disease, etc., just means he probably has a lot of osteoarthritis of his joints...like I do. I've had 5 operations myself, and need several more, which I've put off.

Chronic pain, and how it affects you is something that would be hard to describe unless you've experienced it yourself. Believe me, you can be 'grinding it out' day by day, and then all the sudden you feel like you can't stand it anymore...then perhaps the next day you change your mind again, and decide you don't want to go through with another surgery (and the rehab that goes with it). That's what I've did for quite awhile now (flip flopping to do or not), but I'm not the coach of a major basketball program. K has a lot of responsibility...to his employer, his players, his coaches, his family, and last but not least, to himself. I'm sure he's given this a lot of thought, and doing what he feels is the best thing...for everyone.

And finally, he's just about replaced all the lower weight bearing joints...he should be good to go for awhile :), and I expect to see him coaching for another 5 years, or even more.

OFC

This. OFC

I have blinders on. It seems a few of us feel something is going on that is not quite on the up and up within the Duke basketball program. If any of you know what's going on please let it be known. Are we going to have hear it from another source such as guru gary-7,flatarheel/frankthetarheel. For goodness sake they seem to know all the inside info. OFC

I didn't mean it like that

Reactions: skysdad
Hold the hell up! Where is Capel? He can coach in ACC games but not against the DR. Coach K is trippin. Have your surgery but don't take our joy away. We were all hyped about watching these games

Hold the hell up! Where is Capel? He can coach in ACC games but not against the DR. Coach K is trippin. Have your surgery but don't take our joy away. We were all hyped about watching these games
Hope you're joking

I know the real reason. After taking BP with the baseball team the other day, a bunch of the guys have baseball try outs and they don't want to miss. Especially after seeing some of their swings.

Reactions: dbav
Don't honestly know but I just find it strange to happen at this point....and the fact Capel don't just take them makes it weird too

Maybe I'm looking too much into it...who knows

But your point is a valid and only natural conclusion from the outside looking in. OFC

What is amazing on a sports forum board, be it a tidly wink pee wee league team or a major university basketball program like Duke is the fact that so many fans assume they know everything there is about what's going on in their beloved program. The truth of the matter is no one knows a damn thing as we are just fans of the team and not privy to anything unless the schools SID or the schools coach tells us. The only thing and I repeat, the only thing we know is very little about nothing.

This wasn't a decision that was made overnight.

Obviously not - you don't rush a patient into surgery with a knee replacement unless there's some sort of rogue infection that can't be broken with abx. That being said, why would they wait until this close (without at least a contingency plan or two)? Certainly not crazy to at least ask the question.

Reactions: hart2chesson
What is amazing on a sports forum board, be it a tidly wink pee wee league team or a major university basketball program like Duke is the fact that so many fans assume they know everything there is about what's going on in their beloved program. The truth of the matter is no one knows a damn thing as we are just fans of the team and not privy to anything unless the schools SID or the schools coach tells us. The only thing and I repeat, the only thing we know is very little about nothing.

Don't think anybody including me ever said they KNEW what was going on...people like me questioned it and I still think there is more to this but pal you are right I don't know for sure...just a guess...like I'm sure you do on things too

Don't think anybody including me ever said they KNEW what was going on...people like me questioned it and I still think there is more to this but pal you are right I don't know for sure...just a guess...like I'm sure you do on things too

Agreed! Theres more to it....OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT