ADVERTISEMENT

Does Duke beat UNC if?

adm015

Starter
Oct 7, 2011
Does Duke beat unc if Coach K allows Jeter to play in the 2nd half along with Plumlee. Duke got outrebounded by 30 and gave up 27 offensive rebounds. How would the 2-3 zone looked with Jeter n Plumlee playing together. We had enough offense with Kennard Allen and Ingram on the offensive end.

Duke gave up way too man easy baskets in the paint that would have been minimize and slowed down by using another big. What are your thoughts?

Could you have used Obi then. I'm not saying that Jeter should have played the whole 2nd half but if Duke get 3-4 rebounds they win the game in my opinion.

Does Duke beat unc if Coach K allows Jeter to play in the 2nd half along with Plumlee. Duke got outrebounded by 30 and gave up 27 offensive rebounds. How would the 2-3 zone looked with Jeter n Plumlee playing together. We had enough offense with Kennard Allen and Ingram on the offensive end.

Duke gave up way too man easy baskets in the paint that would have been minimize and slowed down by using another big. What are your thoughts?

We could have beaten UNC if we had just hit 5 more free throws. That's just as logical as the rebound theory. OFC

I am not going to lash out at the poster because I understand his angle.Still Grayson scores on a breakaway and we may be talking about a win if we go up 51-49...

For all of his shortcomings though Jeter's involvement could have stymied some UNC boards edge perhaps...I will not belabor the point though because like everyone else, in K we trust...

Nonetheless on pregames and interviews I hear Coach speak of the importance of " gang rebounding." I feel if we are to make any kind of run in NCAA's, our perimeter must get more caroms. Outside of Marshall and Brandon our starters had 5 (Grayson 4, Derryck 1)...Even Luke off bench grabbed three...We need more, and Matt please, zero boards???!! Crash em man!!

We could have beaten UNC if we had just hit 5 more free throws. That's just as logical as the rebound theory. OFC

I expect teams to miss rebounds and to also miss shots, what I don't expect is to give up 27 offensive rebounds and get outrebounded by 30 points. I don't expect Jeter/Obi to score but I expect them to rebound and if we get a few more rebounds and stops Duke wins the game. I mean Duke looked good in the 1st half with both Plumlee and Jeter playing together.

Rebounding out of the zone is extremely difficult. So no matter who was in there, they would have out rebounded Duke. You go with your horses from here on out.

The lack of penetration and the fact that the fellas couldn't hit the broad side of a barn spelled doom.

Does Duke beat unc if Coach K allows Jeter to play in the 2nd half along with Plumlee..?
No.
We could have beaten them if Jeter earned the right to play beside Plumlee in the 2nd half, but he didn't. Same w/ Obi. Same w/ Vrank.

We need to let this crap go.
Yeah, I just noticed that this thread was started an hour and a half after another one was started on practically the exact same subject. Seriously, let it go. It's not going to happen. If you want it to happen, you're in a very small group who does, and the rest of us have heard your opinion and explained where we stand. Enough. Drop it. When you've been heard and keep repeating yourself b/c you want to be heard and agreed with/accommodated/validated, you're starting to be disrespectful and pushy, and you're going to start getting responses that are more blunt, curt, impatient, adamant, and critical.

Yeah, I just noticed that this thread was started an hour and a half after another one was started on practically the exact same subject. Seriously, let it go. It's not going to happen. If you want it to happen, you're in a very small group who does, and the rest of us have heard your opinion and explained where we stand. Enough. Drop it. When you've been heard and keep repeating yourself b/c you want to be heard and agreed with/accommodated/validated, you're starting to be disrespectful and pushy, and you're going to start getting responses that are more blunt, curt, impatient, adamant, and critical.
Tell em attack dog!

Overreact much? It's a message board and people are entitled to their opinions. It is a legitimate question given the difference in rebound count, and the fact that playing two bigs worked in the first half. You speak of earning minutes; based on terrible rebound numbers, I'm not sure one or two of the primary players earned theirs.

Answering the same question repeatedly gets old. People have done so patiently w/ this guy and others for weeks. We have two threads on the exact same topic, about 90 minutes apart last night. This guy could have joined that thread. Instead he started another on the same topic.

Of course he's entitled to his opinion. When he gets a response and keeps hammering the exact same opinion repeatedly, he's not respecting others' opinions.

Answering the same question repeatedly gets old. People have done so patiently w/ this guy and others for weeks. We have two threads on the exact same topic, about 90 minutes apart last night. This guy could have joined that thread. Instead he started another on the same topic.

Of course he's entitled to his opinion. When he gets a response and keeps hammering the exact same opinion repeatedly, he's not respecting others' opinions.

I didn't see another thread started specifically on this, but I did address it in the game thread. I don't have an issue with this ONE thread here, and I am actually questioning K this morning, something I've rarely done in the past. Probably time I step away as its obvious people disagree on this matter, and it ain't gonna change.

I didn't see another thread started specifically on this, but I did address it in the game thread. I don't have an issue with this ONE thread here, and I am actually questioning K this morning, something I've rarely done in the past. Probably time I step away as its obvious people disagree on this matter, and it ain't gonna change.
I'm not going to draw attention to the other thread that has no responses.
The OP needs to step away like you and I both intend to.

If duke had played better than UNC we would have won. We did not so....

Yep, that's an easy way out. Guess some only like it when everyone else shares their views. That's cool.
Nice passive-aggression. Not the best way to step away. The bold is the punk spin when someone gets a salty response after they refuse to accept previous responses.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
Nice passive-aggression. Not the best way to step away. The bold is the punk spin when someone gets a salty response after they refuse to accept previous responses.

Lol not aggressive at all, in fact, it's something I should do. God, you're a bit testy, eh? Relax, it's Sunday!

Reactions: harttochesson
It's a waste of time trying to point out Coach K mistakes on here, because he's not capable of making coaching mistakes. This team needs 8 players to fully succeed, it's hard to get better when you're sitting on the bench, practice is not game time. When playing teams like UNC you need to bigs on the floor not only to help with rebounding, but to keep Ingram out of foul trouble. Vrank and Jeter both should've got more PT earlier in the season. Marshall guards Meeks, Jeter guards Brice,and Vrank subs in for them, this alllows Ingram to spend most of his time on Jackson.

Reactions: adm015
It's a waste of time trying to point out Coach K mistakes on here, because he's not capable of making coaching mistakes. This team needs 8 players to fully succeed, it's hard to get better when you're sitting on the bench, practice is not game time. When playing teams like UNC you need to bigs on the floor not only to help with rebounding, but to keep Ingram out of foul trouble. Vrank and Jeter both should've got more PT earlier in the season. Marshall guards Meeks, Jeter guards Brice,and Vrank subs in for them, this alllows Ingram to spend most of his time on Jackson.
Very valid points IMO

And Ro they do have to do a better job of buying into K's philosophy of "gang rebounding."Our guards have to attack the glass w/the same fervor as Plum and BI...If we could get 14-15 bds a game from G, Matt, DT and Luke it would really help...(8 yesterday)

I get the general rationale of wanting Duke to have more size or more post options, particularly after a game where the rebounding differential was so glaring. What I don't get is the thinking that Duke actually has guys fully ready to do that on its current roster. Have there been other Duke games besides the 31 I know about? Duke's other bigs just aren't ready for prime time. I would think that was clear in the time they have gotten. And I personally don't think the "if they were given time they'd develop" argument fully works either. Coach and his staff see them everyday in practice. Very often the reality is that if you give a guy playing average or below average basketball more time, all you get is more average to below average basketball. JMHO.

Jeter is going to be a solid player at Duke, and I'm sure glad they have him. But this year seems to largely be an adjustment year for him, not at all atypical for freshmen. Next year he will be a different player. But right now it seems some want some things from him he isn't able to give.

It's a waste of time trying to point out Coach K mistakes on here, because he's not capable of making coaching mistakes.
This is a strawman/codeswitch for "I am not capable of making mistakes, so people who don't like my opinion must think K is perfect."

Jeter has been a disappointment thus far.
He had a game or two where he seemed to be coming off the snide and has regressed...Sometimes I xan't help but wonder had Obi and or Vrank been given those mins would they have performed any better... I think Vrank's only meaningful time in ACC was the game at Ga Tech under Jeff. He didnt do well, but it was nice to see him get some burn...

Jeter has been a disappointment thus far.

I am not willing to go that far, but I can't fault anyone for having higher expectations for a top 20 recruit. Though largely this season has shown that this crop of freshman had far fewer guys really ready to star. Look at Labissiere. He was touted as a potential #1 draft pick, and is now not starting for his college team. We wantes more, but Jeter's progress probably skews closer to the traditional output for a guy outside the top 12 then maybe we think. He is going to be a solid player at Duke.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
I am not willing to go that far, but I can't fault anyone for having higher expectations for a top 20 recruit. Though largely this season has shown that this crop of freshman had far fewer guys really ready to star. Look at Labissiere. He was touted as a potential #1 draft pick, and is now not starting for his college team. We wantes more, but Jeter's progress probably skews closer to the traditional output for a guy outside the top 12 then maybe we think. He is going to be a solid player at Duke.
Hopefully a "solid player" indeed Huffy..Cannot tell yet where he will fall in the spectrum between say Casey Sanders and Abdelnaby...Quite a difference...

I get the general rationale of wanting Duke to have more size or more post options, particularly after a game where the rebounding differential was so glaring. What I don't get is the thinking that Duke actually has guys fully ready to do that on its current roster. Have there been other Duke games besides the 31 I know about? Duke's other bigs just aren't ready for prime time. I would think that was clear in the time they have gotten. And I personally don't think the "if they were given time they'd develop" argument fully works either. Coach and his staff see them everyday in practice. Very often the reality is that if you give a guy playing average or below average basketball more time, all you get is more average to below average basketball. JMHO.

Jeter is going to be a solid player at Duke, and I'm sure glad they have him. But this year seems to largely be an adjustment year for him, not at all atypical for freshmen. Next year he will be a different player. But right now it seems some want some things from him he isn't able to give.

I agree with this post, but let me ask you, if something is working in a short spurt during the game, why go (and stay) away from it? I seriously am curious if someone can explain that to me. Jeter hasn't been ready, but he looked pretty good WHEN paired with Marshall last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT