ADVERTISEMENT

Depending on the situation have you ever pulled for the cheaters?

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I can honestly say I have never ever pulled for the cheaters out of cheater heel no matter who. Now I will admit hoping a couple of their players well suchbas brandon spoon whose dad was a friend of mine or bobby jones who to this day I can't figure out how such a classy man like him got caught up in that sleezy place. As much as despise UK I've been a Wildcat fan every time they play those cheating heels. You guys be honest now. If you have pulled that cheatin' bunch go ahead and admit it. I'm not gonna give any of you a hard time. I will just raise my eye brows a little and just think pitiful, just pitiful.:) OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
Brandon Spoon was an excellent college linebacker. Good tackling form. If you knew the classy Mark Maye, you would have smiled when Luke Maye hit the shot to beat Kentucky

Reactions: RHFD and skysdad
I pulled for the cheats when they thrashed Florida State in football. In 2001, I think. Florida State used to win all the time and the cheats were coached by the Chris Farley clone, John Bunting. Never in basketball

Reactions: skysdad
I pulled for the cheats when they thrashed Florida State in football. In 2001, I think. Florida State used to win all the time and the cheats were coached by the Chris Farley clone, John Bunting. Never in basketball

:rolleyes: Pitiful, just pitiful. OFC

I had a misguided youth. I rooted for them except when they played Duke until about 1983. I don't think they cheated in those days. But I may be wrong.

1968 UNC vs South Carolina.Started out like alway in my ABC mode.John Roche tripped a Uncheat guard think it was Steve Previs.He then kicked while he on the floor which I approved of.The guard got up to fight and Roche ran hid behind Ribock.Had to pull for them the rest of that game.Recovered my senses right after that game and went back to hating them afterwards.Please don’t revoke my fan hood for that momentary lapse of judgment

I had a misguided youth. I rooted for them except when they played Duke until about 1983. I don't think they cheated in those days. But I may be wrong.

They've been cheating forever. Point shaving in the 1950's Pitiful, just pitiful.:rolleyes: OFC

1968 UNC vs South Carolina.Started out like alway in my ABC mode.John Roche tripped a Uncheat guard think it was Steve Previs.He then kicked while he on the floor which I approved of.The guard got up to fight and Roche ran hid behind Ribock.Had to pull for them the rest of that game.Recovered my senses right after that game and went back to hating them afterwards.Please don’t revoke my fan hood for that momentary lapse of judgment

That was pretty dirty but it was karma. Still it's pitiful, just pitiful. :rolleyes: OFC

Never, In fact, a number of years back the Cheaters were playing UCONN at the Dean Dome. UCONN was then No. 1 and Duke was 2. If the Cheaters were to win, Duke would become No. 1. Cheered loudly for UCONN the entire game.

Never, In fact, a number of years back the Cheaters were playing UCONN at the Dean Dome. UCONN was then No. 1 and Duke was 2. If the Cheaters were to win, Duke would become No. 1. Cheered loudly for UCONN the entire game.

I'm with you. If I ever pull you the cheaters in any way I couldn't sleep. I just cannot do it. Yes I am obseesed . It goes way back mainly because of their arrogant fans back in the day and the academic scam in which several people who at that time had such highly regarded dignity and reputations designed a way to cheat and get by with it. I will never forget. OFC

Sometimes it is in Duke's best interests for Carolina to win.

An example.

A maximum of two teams from any conference can advance to the NCAAs in that period. The ACC Tournament winner gets the automatic bid. But in 1975 and 1976 the regular-season winner lost in the tournament but got the second bid. Regular-season winner almost certain to get one of two bids.

1978 regular season. Carolina finishes first at 9-3, Duke second at 8-4. Tar Heels almost certainly in the Big Dance.

ACC Tournament. Duke advances to title game. Carolina plays Wake Forest in the other semifinal.

Why wouldn't any Duke fan root for Wake?

Well, if Wake beats Carolina and then Duke in the title game then Wake and Carolina would get the two bids and Duke would go to the NIT.

But if North Carolina beats Wake and then beats Duke in the title game, Duke would be the runner-up in both the regular-season and the tournament and would almost certainly get the second NCAA bid.

We all know how it turned out. But Wake Forest led Duke by five at halftime of the ACC Tournament title game and Duke was heading for the NIT had they not rallied.

So, sometimes heart has to take second place to mind and it is possible for Duke's best interests to be advanced by a Carolina win.

Sometimes it is in Duke's best interests for Carolina to win.

An example.

A maximum of two teams from any conference can advance to the NCAAs in that period. The ACC Tournament winner gets the automatic bid. But in 1975 and 1976 the regular-season winner lost in the tournament but got the second bid. Regular-season winner almost certain to get one of two bids.

1978 regular season. Carolina finishes first at 9-3, Duke second at 8-4. Tar Heels almost certainly in the Big Dance.

ACC Tournament. Duke advances to title game. Carolina plays Wake Forest in the other semifinal.

Why wouldn't any Duke fan root for Wake?

Well, if Wake beats Carolina and then Duke in the title game then Wake and Carolina would get the two bids and Duke would go to the NIT.

But if North Carolina beats Wake and then beats Duke in the title game, Duke would be the runner-up in both the regular-season and the tournament and would almost certainly get the second NCAA bid.

We all know how it turned out. But Wake Forest led Duke by five at halftime of the ACC Tournament title game and Duke was heading for the NIT had they not rallied.

So, sometimes heart has to take second place to mind and it is possible for Duke's best interests to be advanced by a Carolina win.

Jim you are right. I admit I have it bad. I can't help it. OFC

They've been cheating forever. Point shaving in the 1950's Pitiful, just pitiful.:rolleyes: OFC

No UNC player actually accepted money to shave points.

Doug Moe was asked to shave points but he declined. However he did accept "gas money" for attending a meeting and he did not report the meeting to the NCAA, for which he was banned from the NBA for a time.

More serious was the involvement of Lou Brown, no relation to Larry. Lou Brown accepted money as a "go-between" putting players and gamblers together. None of these involved UNC games but he did receive money both from arranging the meetings and from betting on games knowing they were fixed.

And this all happened in the early 1960s, not 1950s.

Multiple NC State players did accept money to shave points.

UNC was put on probation for the 1961 season but the reason was McGuire's recruiting excesses.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Let me posit a hypothetical but not implausible scenario.

Last weekend of the football season. Duke and let us say Virginia Tech are tied for first in the Coastal Division. But VT holds the tiebreaker over Duke.

Duke wins its final game to open a half-game lead. VT plays that night against North Carolina. A VT win gives them the division title and puts them into the ACC title game. North Carolina has been eliminated from title contention. But a Tar Heel win gives Duke the division title and sends Duke to the ACC title game.

Who do you root for in this scenario? I have no hesitation in rooting for the outcome that helps Duke.

Never in any sport. Like the sports editor I used to work with , Benny Phillips, used to say, "hope they lose every game, and all their intermurials end in ties". Probably misspelled intermurials. Oh well. And as far as if it would benefit Duke if the holes won some game or other, hell , the team has to do some things for themselves. On the Florida state site, someone once said, I would gouge out my eyes with a fork before would pull for Miami. I feel the same way about the holes.

Reactions: christophero
L

Last weekend of the football season. Duke and let us say Virginia Tech are tied for first in the Coastal Division. But VT holds the tiebreaker over Duke.

Duke wins its final game to open a half-game lead. VT plays that night against North Carolina. A VT win gives them the division title and puts them into the ACC title game. North Carolina has been eliminated from title contention. But a Tar Heel win gives Duke the division title and sends Duke to the ACC title game.

Who do you root for in this scenario? I have no hesitation in rooting for the outcome that helps Duke.
looks like VT is getting the coastal title

Reactions: christophero
How about UNC is a 12 seed limping into the tournament playing a UNLV type one seed in our bracket and we play the winner?

Reactions: bobcrane14

I still do not root for the Cheaters, even in that scenario. Do not want Duke's success depending on what another team does, especially the Cheaters. Not going to root for the Cheaters to bail us out of a situation we could have avoided on our own merit. That applies only to the Cheaters and to Cornturkey.

I used to be a Duke first - North Carolina schools second and ACC schools next fan.

I think it had a lot to do with I knew players and the coaches from Duke/UNC/NC State personally growing up. My father was the Sports Editor for the Durham Sun (which was the morning paper at the time) and I went to many of the games and into the locker room of all those teams in the mid 70's through the 80's). Really, who could not be a kid getting to see UNC in person in the 80's and meeting Jordan and the other players not love UNC Basketball. At some point the morning and afternoon papers became just a morning edition, my father changed jobs in the organization and games became less frequent - except for Duke which we had a long connection with as I worked there and also took grad courses there in the early 90's.

I am now a UNC hater, but it has more to do with the fans and is a good-natured hate. I do not let that spill onto the individual players. They stand and fall IMO, based on their individual merits. I stay away from just criticizing kids that play a game just because they play for a team I do not like.

I can offer a unique perspective from the other side. Grew up a Heels fan hating Duke and then went to UNC. My roommate all through college went to high school with a few Duke kids and so we would go hang/out party at Duke fairly often. Always had fun and even got to see a cool Big Sean/Mike Posner concert on the quad freshman year. This made the blind hate seem kind of silly.

Fast forward 7+ years and I got an opportunity to work at Duke (great employer). I love working here with the students and there are probably more UNC educated folks working on campus than you might expect. I still pull for the heels and engage in some light ribbing with my students but I honestly want both teams to have good years. It makes the games and the rivalry better. I've taken some of my students to the Dome for a game and have even been given tickets to attend some games in Cameron which is always a blast.

I know this is not most people's experience and would probably be frowned on by parts of both fan bases but that doesn't matter to me.

People may boo me off the board, but a few of my friends from Northern Durham High played football at UNC and my neighbor was the Defensive line coach, so I have pulled for them in football. Basketball wise, I hate them about as much as I hate terrorism, but I did pull for them in one game ever...I hated the Fab Five more. After watching the 30 for 30, I feel vindicated! Haha!

I have changed my mind about pulling for the cheats!!! I do pull for them every game in every sport they play, men and women, that they get their asses handed to them!!!!
OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT