ADVERTISEMENT

Could Kara Lawson's Hiring ...

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
... Pave the way for another coach with whom she's been associated to come to Duke?

;)

I know this is not the woman's basketball board but am pretty pumped that they are hiring Lawson. I like the fact that she's been a great player; former WNBA player; and successful men's coach. And I'm not saying her hiring is tied to the men's program (I don't think that is at all a factor, to be clear).

While I have long thought it likely the next Duke coach would come from a former assistant / player ... Who knows a) how established some of those will become in their own program - thus prefer to remain there; and/or b) whether, by the time K retires, some of those on the short list will have turned out to not have been all that successful. Dawkins is still big on the list as with Capel, Wojo, and Collins.

But, it also would make things interesting with respect to Brad Stevens if K were to coach 3-4 more seasons. That might be an ideal time for him to move to college if he struggles to get over the hump and win a title or have a team that is highly competitive for one in Boston. Stevens has been great in the NBA but the pressure to win consistently and challenge for titles is big in Boston. Or c) perhaps if the next Duke coach is a former player/assistant and struggles for 3-4 seasons ...

Probably unwarranted - but one can't help but think that down the road Lawson's presence could eventually be a factor. Nevertheless, congrats to her and here's to her success!

Happy to get Coach Lawson but I don't her hire will have anything to do with getting Stevens or in other words her being the women's coach will have nothing to do with him coming to Duke. Stevens would make a great coach and I will welcone him with open arms but once again if she wasn't with Duke he would either accept or reject Duke if they offered. OFC

Reactions: christophero
Let the record show that Brad Stevens is wearing a Duke shirt (top right, standing next to Tacko Fall).

Ec4m0jYXgAIA3_d

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT