ADVERTISEMENT

Cook NOT on ACC 1st team

GTHC_ GTH!

All American
Oct 5, 2011
Cook made the second team. Tyus on 3rd team. Winslow not on any. They got this all wrong

I don't agree with all those picks, but there are a lot of good players in the ACC. Congrats to all our guys chosen (including Justise as honorable mention) for having a great season

One thing I did notice is that Marcus Paige received more votes for 3rd team than Tyus. Marcus Paige is a fine player, but start picking players for sides and see who gets picked first. But on the bright side, Tyus was the only player on the 3rd team that received any 1st place votes (2)...so some people are taking notice.

OFC

I don't know that it's wrong, but I'm a little surprised Quinn didn't make it. As was the case with Erick Green a few years back at VT, I just don't understand a player like Hanlan getting on the first team. He's a nice player, but he's on a horrible, horrible team.

Tyus on third team and Justise honorable mention seem about right to me.

Jah, Tyus and Justise also made the all freshman team along with Justin Jackson and Xavier Rathan-Mayes

I personally think Quinn should have made it on the 1st team over Hanlan, but I get the vote.

Originally posted by dukiejay:
I don't know that it's wrong, but I'm a little surprised Quinn didn't make it. As was the case with Erick Green a few years back at VT, I just don't understand a player like Hanlan getting on the first team. He's a nice player, but he's on a horrible, horrible team.

Tyus on third team and Justise honorable mention seem about right to me.
I liked Tyus for 2nd team, but I guess the numbers were too much for some people to get over. Rozier makes it over Tyus simply because of the 17ppg next to his name.

But maybe I'm biased because Tyus has been absolutely filthy in clutch situations this year, and I love him for it.

Cook not on 1st team and Tyus not on 2nd is a joke. Also thought Justise should have been 3rd team without a doubt. He does so much more than score. At least Jah won POY.

Hanlan over Cook is real iffy. At best.

Other than that I am alright with the way the voting went down. Frankly I think a serious case can be made that Tyus Jones was Duke's best player and not Okafor in, and this the key to the voting here, conference play.

Congrats to everyone from all the programs. The league was a bear this year and to separate yourself in these individual honors is impressive IMO.

Makes me realize how good the ACC is this year. And Duke may have only 8 players on scholly, but it's as good of a rotation out there, with 4 special players as the core.

Originally posted by Crank_it_loud:
Makes me realize how good the ACC is this year. And Duke may have only 8 players on scholly, but it's as good of a rotation out there, with 4 special players as the core.
To even make it on there is amazing. To have three guys, one of which is POY, and another get honorable mention is an amazing feat in this league.

The greatest thing to me that shows just how great Duke has been this year is that Duke is the only ACC team to have a player make 1st team All-ACC, 3nd team All-ACC, 3rd team All-ACC, All-ACC freshman team, honorable mention list and to top it off Jah was ACC POY and ACC FOY (the first player in the history of the ACC to win both awards as a freshman).

Originally posted by DiehardDukeFan4Life:
The greatest thing to me that shows just how great Duke has been this year is that Duke is the only ACC team to have a player make 1st team All-ACC, 3nd team All-ACC, 3rd team All-ACC, All-ACC freshman team, honorable mention list and to top it off Jah was ACC POY and ACC FOY (the first player in the history of the ACC to win both awards as a freshman).
That is really impressive. Really, Jah is the first ever? Wow. Think about some of the greats that have played in the ACC and then think about how great the league is this year. I am so proud of these kids. Now, hopefully we can go out and prove that we have the team to beat and win this ACC tourney. I do think winning the tournament would be a great spring board to winning the big one.

Originally posted by bleediteveryday30:

That is really impressive. Really, Jah is the first ever? Wow. Think about some of the greats that have played in the ACC and then think about how great the league is this year. I am so proud of these kids. Now, hopefully we can go out and prove that we have the team to beat and win this ACC tourney. I do think winning the tournament would be a great spring board to winning the big one.
Yeah according to an article on GoDuke about the ACC postseason awards he is the first player to win both in the same season. If we can keep the momentum going that we've had over the last 11 games then it's going to be really fun to watch the ACC tourney and NCAA tourney. I really want to see us end the season with a 20 game win streak and an ACC title and NCAA title and also Jah hopefully adding NPOY and NFOY to his ACC POY and ACC FOY awards.

Yeah according to an article on GoDuke about the ACC postseason awards he is the first player to win both in the same season. If we can keep the momentum going that we've had over the last 11 games then it's going to be really fun to watch the ACC tourney and NCAA tourney. I really want to see us end the season with a 20 game win streak and an ACC title and NCAA title and also Jah hopefully adding NPOY and NFOY to his ACC POY and ACC FOY awards.
Man, that is just so impressive to me. I am so excited for the next few weeks. Like you I hope we end our season with a 20 game win streak and ACC and National titles would be the product of that. I really feel good about our chances this year. This team is special and has a really great shot at cutting down the nets come April 6th.

hopefully Okafor Cook Jones and Winslow will all be first team national championship team. I think them as players and us as fans would take that in a heartbeat.

There should be an asterisk on the first ever since we all know Harrison Barnes did it first on the preseason lists.

Would have liked to see Cook in the 1st team, but excited he is on the 2nd team. I think he can go overlooked at times with the focus on the freshmen this year. We all know Cook's value, and I doubt he'll be too broken up. He wants to win a Championship and if he can, the ACC Teams won't matter a bit.

Harrell could probably make the same argument. Had a very solid year. I also agree that Hanlan's spot should have gone to Harrell or Cook. However, Hanlan is very important to his team and carries a big burden.

I would actually argue that the one who should be much higher is Tyus. I can't think of a better point guard in the ACC this season.

That is really impressive. Really, Jah is the first ever? Wow.
I demand a recount! Everyone knows that Duke bigs are just there to rebound and set screens. Ask Tony Parker.

Originally posted by GAAP:

That is really impressive. Really, Jah is the first ever? Wow.
I demand a recount! Everyone knows that Duke bigs are just there to rebound and set screens. Ask Tony Parker.
I'll never forget that and look how it all turned out for Tony in the end? I think he would have been better off at Duke where he actually would have learned something, but I am fine with who we have had these last few years, especially this year.

Originally posted by dbav:
I would actually argue that the one who should be much higher is Tyus. I can't think of a better point guard in the ACC this season.
I think if Duke fans wanted to argue this is the best point. Obviously Okafor being on the first-team was a given. And while I thought Quinn should have been there too, it wasn't a slam dunk, IMO. The league has some great players and Quinn is among them, but there were other players who had great seasons too.

But about Tyus, yes, third team seems a tad low. Then again, when you look at the 11 players picked above him it's hard to get bent out of shape about it. Marcus Paige, who admittedly struggled in comparison to last year, still had a good season. It just wasn't what was expected from him.

Justin Anderson is kind of the wild card to me. Incredibly gifted young man who was having an amazing season before his injury....and if he doesn't get hurt he's probably not only a first-team guy but in the running with Jah for POY. But to my point, he only played in 10 ACC games. That's just 55% of his team's contests. In conference play all season, I just don't think Anderson was as valuable as some of the guys below him because he didn't play enough. Again....great player and a lock first-teamer if he doesn't get injured, but he did get injured.

It was much more likely for Quinn to be on the 1st team and Tyus on 2nd team if you were a Duke fan. I personally don't see how Quinn was not first team or Tyus not 2nd team but the voters must not consider what we want. Great for us though that 5 of our 5 current starters got recognized in some fashion with Winslow being honorable mention all ACC and Matt Jones being the 2nd leading vote getter on the 6th man team. Coach K was also second for COY.

ofc

It's hard picking just 5. The biggest problem I had was Justise not making any of the teams. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT