ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Anthony? What does this mean?

DukeRulesBasketball

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: jwill133
I wish there was a Love button because I haven’t wanted a recruit to come to duke as much as I want Cole since Jabari and Harrison before that.
Okafor/Tyus is right up there for me too. Mainly because it was obvious they were a package deal, and at the time, Jah was #1 in the country, Tyus #3 I believe.
That package worked out pretty nice for us....

Brandon Ingram too...mainly because that REALLY pissed off UNC fans.

He signing late to see how rosters shake out. The coach thing is an excuse. If Frank Jackson would have stayed at Duke Trevon Duval most likely would have went elsewhere.

If Tre Jones sticks around another year, Cole Anothony most likely goes somewhere else. Kentucky has a plethora of point guards that could still be on their roster next year.

You play multiple wings and multiple bigs, but you can really only play one point guard at a time in today’s game.

It’s a business decision for these top recruits.

Reactions: jwill133
He signing late to see how rosters shake out. The coach thing is an excuse. If Frank Jackson would have stayed at Duke Trevon Duval most likely would have went elsewhere.

If Tre Jones sticks around another year, Cole Anothony most likely goes somewhere else. Kentucky has a plethora of point guards that could still be on their roster next year.

You play multiple wings and multiple bigs, but you can really only play one point guard at a time in today’s game.

Correct and I see Tre Jones' career ending up a lot like his older brothers. An "on the fence OAD" who wins a national title, final 4 most outstanding player, followed by a 2019 1st round draft selection.
Leading us to land Cole Anthony.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
If Cole Doesn’t come to Duke, then most likely, it will be out west somewhere he goes too like Oregon or something. Don’t see him at U.K. either. I think Duke is in great position to get Bryan Antoine, and Wendell Moore. I read on Kentucky Sports Radio a few weeks ago that Carey was a heavy Duke lean as well. But right now I’m thinking Duke definitely gets Antoine and Moore. Not sure about Isaiah Stewart either. I feel like if Carey comes here, then Stewart goes elsewhere. If Tre Jones is indeed a one and done, then I feel really confident in getting Cole Anthony also.

If Cole Doesn’t come to Duke, then most likely, it will be out west somewhere he goes too like Oregon or something. Don’t see him at U.K. either. I think Duke is in great position to get Bryan Antoine, and Wendell Moore. I read on Kentucky Sports Radio a few weeks ago that Carey was a heavy Duke lean as well. But right now I’m thinking Duke definitely gets Antoine and Moore. Not sure about Isaiah Stewart either. I feel like if Carey comes here, then Stewart goes elsewhere. If Tre Jones is indeed a one and done, then I feel really confident in getting Cole Anthony also.
From everything I've read....Vernon Carey JR has been part of The Brotherhood for a while, it just hasn't been inked officially yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
This article basically says what the recruiting guys on the premium site have been saying, that no one knows where he will end up.

Correct and I see Tre Jones' career ending up a lot like his older brothers. An "on the fence OAD" who wins a national title, final 4 most outstanding player, followed by a 2019 1st round draft selection.
Leading us to land Cole Anthony.
I like your way of thinking Jwill!

I'd be surprised if Cole Anthony plays a minute of college basketball, personally. He'll be eligible for the 2019 Draft, and he'll most likely be a lottery pick.

I'd be surprised if Cole Anthony plays a minute of college basketball, personally. He'll be eligible for the 2019 Draft, and he'll most likely be a lottery pick.

The general thinking is that the class of 2020, not 2019, will be the first preps to pros option.
Further, the owners love the current rules, which allow them to evaluate a candidate prior to massive investment in said asset, er, player. Ergo, while preps will be allowed to go pro, I suspect there will be a healthy dollop of foul tasting medicine, of some sort.
Regardless, the 19 class will go to college.

I see this a clear indication that Duke is a strong preference for him. He wants Duke but only if Tre is gone, which, frankly, is perfectly understandable.

Reactions: Quavarius
I see this a clear indication that Duke is a strong preference for him. He wants Duke but only if Tre is gone, which, frankly, is perfectly understandable.
Well we will be landing Cole Anthony than.

The general thinking is that the class of 2020, not 2019, will be the first preps to pros option.
Further, the owners love the current rules, which allow them to evaluate a candidate prior to massive investment in said asset, er, player. Ergo, while preps will be allowed to go pro, I suspect there will be a healthy dollop of foul tasting medicine, of some sort.
Regardless, the 19 class will go to college.

Cole Anthony will be 19 next year, meaning he'll already be eligible for the 2019 draft.

They have to be 19 and one year removed from high school.

Most recent whispers indicate that it won't be the 20 class, but rather the 21 class that will be draft eligible out of HS.
This is like when a young child asks its parents if they can go to the water park, and the parent replies by saying "maybe later." Which, as any parent can tell you, means no. Or, at least, not today.
That is the draft, wrt HS entry. Markel Fulz, Lonzo Ball, Jayson Tatum, and Donovan Mitchel say hello, as exhibit 1. Tatum and DM look like franchise talents, and they were neither one consensus top 2 picks. Everyone said Fulz was 1 and Ball was 2. Tatum as a close 3, and most said that Utah OVERDRAFTED Donovan.
After a year of college (or more), NBA execs STILL MISSED on the draft. Assuming correct evaluation, the Celts don't pass on Tatum, and LA drafts Mitchell.
After that happened, how eager does anyone think NBA owners are to SHORTEN the evaluation window, while ensuing that all evaluations are against inferior comp with inferior coaching?
Like I said earlier, IF they allow preps to pros (which I am increasingly beginning to doubt), I suspect it will have an incredibly bitter pill.

To me, Cole Anthony is a PG who is as much or more of a scoring guard as a lead guard. He is so skilled... Like a JWill or Kyrie that he can EASILY coexist with a Tre Jones. Cole is a OAD, and him being a OAD doesn't rely on him bringing the ball up the floor every trip down. Athletic, gifted scoring PG. Combo guard that may actually benefit from having a pass first PG alongside him!

To me, Cole Anthony is a PG who is as much or more of a scoring guard as a lead guard. He is so skilled... Like a JWill or Kyrie that he can EASILY coexist with a Tre Jones. Cole is a OAD, and him being a OAD doesn't rely on him bringing the ball up the floor every trip down. Athletic, gifted scoring PG. Combo guard that may actually benefit from having a pass first PG alongside him!

He COULD coexist. He doesn't WANT to coexist. He wants the ball in his hands, and probably needs it in his hands to achieve what he wants to achieve.

He will look at every roster. Any fan base that hunks he’s in the bag is dead wrong. Every service that has predicted has said they have done so on their own opinion and not from Cole or his circle because they have kept it very tight to vest. Going to be very interesting as to where he ends up

Reactions: PatrickYates
He will look at every roster. Any fan base that hunks he’s in the bag is dead wrong. Every service that has predicted has said they have done so on their own opinion and not from Cole or his circle because they have kept it very tight to vest. Going to be very interesting as to where he ends up

He's doing what every smart top pick should do. Wait until late in the process and then pick the roster/situation most desirable. Should things break the way Cole expects, I think Duke is a top 2 landing spot. But he's not married to that thinking.

Scout.com

Not surprisingly, 2019's top point guard turned things on and blew his PSA Cardinals game with Team United with an electric second half stretch of playmaking and scoring. He's never not productive.

But, I don't need to remind everybody how good Anthony is. We all know it and nobody is disputing it. What we all want to know, is who has a legitimate shot at landing him? I wish I could do better than this, but it's still a pretty big mystery.

Kentucky and Duke get thrown around as possible teams to beat, Oregon, North Carolina, Kansas, Wake Forest, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Louisville and pretty much anybody else that you can think of is also thrown out there. Just my speculation here, but I think that Oregon and North Carolina may be quietly in there and it's no coincidence that Dana Altman and Roy Williams are everywhere he goes.

But, the best myself or anybody else can do right now is speculate and that's all it is for now because the Anthony group is running a tight ship with no leaks. Don't look for a decision anytime soon either and look for his recruitment to last into the spring of 2019.

He's doing what every smart top pick should do. Wait until late in the process and then pick the roster/situation most desirable. Should things break the way Cole expects, I think Duke is a top 2 landing spot. But he's not married to that thinking.

Last edited:
What he should have said is they have to turn 19 in the calendar year of the draft (or earlier) and be one year removed from high school.
Kevin Knox turns 19 in August, so he would meet both criteria.

Reactions: lkc1234

Could see Cole going somewhere like Nova if he doesn’t end up at Duke. Also, think Cole is watching to see what other guards who can play point like Josiah James does. Be curious to see how K plays this one. Does he let Cole wanting to wait until late next year effect Duke taking Josiah’s commitment if he decides that he wants to commit to Duke early?

Personally think Cole would commit to Duke no matter what Tre Jones does, but he doesn’t want to end up stuck at Duke w/ James and Antoine also at guard.

What he should have said is they have to turn 19 in the calendar year of the draft (or earlier) and be one year removed from high school.
Kevin Knox turns 19 in August, so he would meet both criteria.

I always thought the rule was or, not and.

Could see Cole going somewhere like Nova if he doesn’t end up at Duke. Also, think Cole is watching to see what other guards who can play point like Josiah James does. Be curious to see how K plays this one. Does he let Cole wanting to wait until late next year effect Duke taking Josiah’s commitment if he decides that he wants to commit to Duke early?

Personally think Cole would commit to Duke no matter what Tre Jones does, but he doesn’t want to end up stuck at Duke w/ James and Antoine also at guard.

Agreed. IMHO, Cole isn't fundamentally opposed to playing off the ball, alongside Tre, especially given Duke's style and freedom on offense. I think playing off the ball, while Duke has 2 other top tier SG options (potentially) is a bridge too far.
I'm not even saying Duke, sans Tre Jones, is the favorite. Merely that we'd be a strong contender without Tre. One of a few I think. Again, IMHO, I think Cole's final 2-4 teams won't really be decided until April - May, and will include some teams we currently don't associate with his recruitment.

Problem is though with Cole waiting until spring Josiah James will probably commit to Duke before Anthony does, which would eliminate Anthony from coming here. Don’t get me wrong, I like Josiah James and would be very happy if he came to Duke, but being real at the same time Cole Anthony is much better.

Problem is though with Cole waiting until spring Josiah James will probably commit to Duke before Anthony does, which would eliminate Anthony from coming here. Don’t get me wrong, I like Josiah James and would be very happy if he came to Duke, but being real at the same time Cole Anthony is much better.
Not as big on James. Don’t get me wrong, he’s nice but I think Cole is a far superior player. He’s got Kyrie type potential.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT