ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K on Zion Williamson

Feb 27, 2018
"He's graceful," Coach K said Friday on a conference call, according to ZagsBlog.com. "His lateral movement and speed and anticipation is off the charts. He can drive, he can post up, he understands the really game well. I know that everyone has watched him on YouTube with all the dunking and obviously that's impressive but he's a heck of a basketball player."

"At that weight or approximately that weight, he moves as fast as anybody, jumps higher than anybody and he's alert," said Krzyzewski. "We're not talking about someone who has excess body fat. This is a kid that's in pretty darn good shape and just has a man's mass. It's more mass and strength than any type of excess weight. I'm not concerned about that. He's done really well."

Also a rough transcript from the press conference.

Reporter: With Zion, a lot of the things that people see are the highlights films and the dunks..."

Coach k: "That's probably the only thing they see"

Reporter: "Having him on campus, what are some things that he really does well that you've seen from him?"

Coach K: "Well, he's an outstanding basketball player. He's a gifted, gifted unique athlete. I never had a player with that athletic base like him because he's such a compact, strong player. The weight that he has is really deceiving because when people think of that high weight, they think of being out of shape, fat...just the opposite with him. It's not a lot of body fat, he's got great mass. He's graceful, his lateral movement and anticipatory skills are really at the high level and he can really play basketball. I'm just trying to learn... he's a great kid, he works hard. I'm trying to learn more about him so I can give him an opportunity to use his skill set. He's a really good basketball player, an incredibly unique athlete for being that size and being able to jump that high and also his lateral movement is so darn good, he's quick. I love him and he's a great, great kid. He's a great kid."

Reporter: "How concerned are you, you said it's not a lot of body fat but how concerned are you with just in terms of it seems like it's a lot of weight for his knees."

Coach K: "Well, it's how its positioned, you know? He's so proportional, he's got a really good body mass, it's strength. I'm not that concerned because he's done all of our testing, he's doing the conditioning, very durable. I think he'll eventually because of how much you work find a weight that is good. I'm not saying the weight he has right now isn't good but were not setting up that you need to be at a certain weight. We're not doing that, it'll just flow naturally because he's moving so well. He's really very unique. He can hang in the air...he's gifted. He's gifted but he can play basketball too. He's a really good basketball player. Great passer, outstanding passer and again when he gets by you, he's by you and you're not going to knock him off. We're happy to have him."

I am not why people are questioning his weight when he is by far the most athletic player coming out of highschool since Lebron James.

It’s like someone questioning Shaq’s weight back in the day.

Reactions: Quavarius
Curious when the “He could be a TE in the NFL” talk starts.

Said that from day one even when some Duke fans didn’t think he was that good (when it didn’t look like he was going to Duke) and some UK fans didn’t/don’t think he’s that good(since he didn’t pick UK). But that’s what you get from FANatics

Hell, he could be a 3 technique defensive tackle in th NFL.
You’re right lol. I just remember all the Lebron talk about playing TE. It could be an interesting topic . Which position do you play him that size, speed, athletic ability in footbal. It’s kinda like basketball for him, but it’s no positionless in Footbal. He’s a misfit! Hes at a very rare lucky size, yet he’s at the size of the most unknown of what to do with somebody that size in the history of sports. With his athletic ability. I mean nobody’s ever seen somebody his size, that can do what he does before, so everybody’s learning therself! I don’t know if I said that right. Or even can. Hopefully you can dissect what I said.

Makes me so proud he is a home town boy. Kids here in Spartanburg really look up to him and he has always treated them so well. Would have been happy for him even if he had went somewhere else but the fact the he chose Duke is one of the coolest things I’ve experienced as a Duke fan. The buzz around here for Zion has been crazy for over the last three years and I never thought for a minute that he would pick Duke. It’s just so surreal.

I hope becomes the greatest athlete to ever come out of SC. Sooooo damn proud.

lololololol @ UNCheat and Kensucky

Makes me so proud he is a home town boy. Kids here in Spartanburg really look up to him and he has always treated them so well. Would have been happy for him even if he had went somewhere else but the fact the he chose Duke is one of the coolest things I’ve experienced as a Duke fan. The buzz around here for Zion has been crazy for over the last three years and I never thought for a minute that he would pick Duke. It’s just so surreal.

I hope becomes the greatest athlete to ever come out of SC. Sooooo damn proud.

lololololol @ UNCheat and Kensucky

What is the public opinion on him choosing Duke? I know a lot of people there thought he was going to Clemson. Is the majority mad at him or still pulling for him?

What is the public opinion on him choosing Duke? I know a lot of people there thought he was going to Clemson. Is the majority mad at him or still pulling for him?

It’s been really cool. People around here are very happy for him. They know the prestige Duke carries and to have a home town kid go to Duke is an awesome thing, and that’s not just my opinion. UNC fans around here are their typical Chode selves like they are throughout the country but Cock and Clemson folk have been real cool.

Bolden improved last year for sure, but are we really supposed to pretend that Bolden couldn't be bullied in the paint?
What have you seen so far that would suggest he would get bullied in the paint? He improved, his body is in the best shape of his career and is a junior. I think he will more than hold his own this year.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
What have you seen so far that would suggest he would get bullied in the paint? He improved, his body is in the best shape of his career and is a junior. I think he will more than hold his own this year.

Remains to be seen but I am really expecting a very solid year for him this year.

Tell that to them.

I will destroy Zion....

9fSv5C4.jpg

Big Luke Maye will throw a wet blanket over whoever he guards, and throw up a double double on the other end. He is POY candidate after all. Perfect for Roy System until they need a better athlete.

Reactions: dukehokie
How in the world are you allowed to get on thr dukehokie? ouwon't after this post. It's grounds for a permanent exile. OFC

I handled that already. Haha. But I can read the board now at least. After reading that sentence, it doesn’t sound like a good thing necessarily haha.

Reactions: skysdad
I think he takes a big step forward this year, but as far as mass and center of gravity, Zion looks to be on another level.

Zion is a beast!!

All I know is Duke shouldnt be getting out rebounded much this season, maybe a few games but with the bigs crew of Zion/Bolden....Jack/Javin+ Vrank, add in the wings size Duke should dominate on the boards most nights.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Dj9asfyXsAEjxnB.jpg:large

He looks absolutely massive. Also, could be the angle, but he looks to be the tallest of the bunch. Wouldn't that put him at a tall 6'7 at minimum?

He looks absolutely massive. Also, could be the angle, but he looks to be the tallest of the bunch. Wouldn't that put him at a tall 6'7 at minimum?
Few trivia things for the bored people that think they got what it takes to crack the case!.... Whys Zion have on long pants before I get started? Lol....Ok.... What’s that on the back of RJs phone? Who’s phone is missing in the picture? Who has an Apple phone? What’s in 3 of our guys ears ? Last and my personal favorite.. I spy 4 basketballs. Where they at? ;)...My (hint) some of these questions are tricky. Lmao

Last edited:

Two things stood out to me Pixel. First, is Cam wearing Zion's shorts? Poor kid needs some suspenders or something. No wonder his motor is an issue. I'd be tired too if I had to constantly pull my shorts up.
Second, Zion is closest to the camera. That adds an extra 20-30 lbs, easy. That would make him pushing at least 305, maybe 310. I think he's also wearing Tre's shirt.

I could be wrong.

:) I noticed Cams low riders as well. I was just thinking they were Tre shorts. I can’t see them fitting Zion! And shirts just don’t fit Zion lmao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT