ADVERTISEMENT

Changing of the "Guards"

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
We all like discussion and debate. This involves what seems like a radical change (and it is), but makes some sense if you think about it. Right now we have what I call would be a five guard rotation.

Jeremy, Tyrese, Blakes,(1 or 2's) Grandison (2) and IMO Whitehead (he's really a 2 or a 3)could all be considered guards.Its no secret Proctor is slumping, Roach's game is off for whatever reason (toe perhaps?) and "Grands" has been fairly up and down.

I propose more PT of a combo of Blakes at the point, and Dariq at the SG. Blakes has shown the ability of scoring the ball from the perimeter more consistently than other guards, he can get downhill with his drives, and Whitehead is showing signs of reaching his potential playing out front. His size also comes into play guarding other two guards. Who else would like to see more time of this tandem of guards together?? OFC

I have no problem with your plan Hart.

I'd like to know what is wrong with Roach. If his toe is bothering him, shut him down for a month or two. It's more important that he be ready for March.

I'm not giving up on Proctor. I think we have seen that he is very talented. He doesn't deserve to start, but keep giving him PT.

I'm puzzled why Schutt didn't get on the floor against Fl. St. The game was won with 4 minutes left and he needs some more time on the court.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I have no problem with your plan Hart.

I'd like to know what is wrong with Roach. If his toe is bothering him, shut him down for a month or two. It's more important that he be ready for March.

I'm not giving up on Proctor. I think we have seen that he is very talented. He doesn't deserve to start, but keep giving him PT.

I'm puzzled why Schutt didn't get on the floor against Fl. St. The game was won with 4 minutes left and he needs some more time on the court.
Thanks Lift, I like your observations as well. I endorse idea of getting Jeremy's toe healed. The sooner we shut him down the sooner we get him back as you note.

Did Jon have some mental block the last 4 minutes on playing reserves?? His not playing Jaden just didn't add up. I know he missed an off balance shot at Wake he took while game was still on line in game prior. However he only had token time there. I didn't think a DNP vs FSU (especially in a rout) was warranted.

OFC

I’m for letting Blakes start until Proctor shows more.
The same thing that is happening to Roach is happening to Love and Davis with the exception of Loves shot . Take away the driving lane and let him shoot jumpers , where he is inconsistent at best . Getting to the basket is where Roach thrives and teams aren’t going to give it to him.
The end of the FSU game was about getting this young team to finish off the game and not lay an egg. Schutt isn’t getting on the court much this season . Especially with Blakes playing well and Whitehead improving .
Think of Grandison moving into the role of what you would expect from Schutt. Whitehead and Proctor coming off the bench before Grandison should tell you all we need to know about Schutt’s playing time .

It depends on how hurt Roach is. It doesn't sound like something that will go away in a few week's time. He may have to limit practice like Curry did, Maybe limit his minutes and let Proctor sub for him. I do think Roach needs to recognize that he is limited and stop trying to shoot as much. I think he was 1-7 in the first half against FSU. It's not ideal, but at least Blakes is playing well. Maybe limit Roach to 15-20 minutes per game until he gets better. It just seems too late to sideline him.

It depends on how hurt Roach is. It doesn't sound like something that will go away in a few week's time. He may have to limit practice like Curry did, Maybe limit his minutes and let Proctor sub for him. I do think Roach needs to recognize that he is limited and stop trying to shoot as much. I think he was 1-7 in the first half against FSU. It's not ideal, but at least Blakes is playing well. Maybe limit Roach to 15-20 minutes per game until he gets better. It just seems too late to sideline him.
Where are y’all reading he’s still hurt? To me he looked like he was simply forcing a lot of his shots . I think Scheyer would sit him if it was that bad .

Yes after he twisted his ankle going into a triple team . We will see if he sits against state . If he don’t then he is fine and the situation is him forcing instead of letting the game come to him

Reactions: christophero
Where are y’all reading he’s still hurt? To me he looked like he was simply forcing a lot of his shots . I think Scheyer would sit him if it was that bad .
He’s literally limping during games, and a metatarsal injury doesn’t heal in a few weeks, broken or not broken…..and the limp was before any ankles were rolled.

Reactions: hart2chesson
He’s literally limping during games, and a metatarsal injury doesn’t heal in a few weeks, broken or not broken…..and the limp was before any ankles were rolled.
Well then he should sit . I didn’t see him limp until the second half and that’s on him and Scheyer . However that doesn’t institute the fact that teams would rather have him shoot them drive the lane . Given Dukes medical staff is second to hardly none I very seriously doubt if it was serious they would let him play .

Or they are telling him a few weeks won’t do anything either play hurt or shut it down. Sometimes that’s the discussion.

Well him limping or risking further injury isn’t helping himself or the team . To allow him to do so only puts himself at higher risk of further injury . Duke will need him come March

He got his foot stepped on, came out limping, went to the bench, told Jose he didn't need any treatment, came back and looked fine physically.

I think timo is on to it, he probably just has to deal with the pain or sit the rest of the year. I hope he keeps playing personally.

Well then he should sit . I didn’t see him limp until the second half and that’s on him and Scheyer . However that doesn’t institute the fact that teams would rather have him shoot them drive the lane . Given Dukes medical staff is second to hardly none I very seriously doubt if it was serious they would let him play .
I dont disagree with you buddy. Sometimes though the staff says “it can’t get worse” but it’s pretty apparent he’s way off….

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT