ADVERTISEMENT

Carey/Stewart combo

Jacket4

Recruit
Sep 18, 2008
So like many of you. I have been watching these two and their recruitment closely. I was really confident in landing Casey. But the longer this last the more and more it looks like he may end up at MSU with Stewart.

Both have already said they'd love to play with another elite big. Stewart has been a strong lean to MSU for the past couple months. And with Caery finishing up his second visit there it makes me wonder.

I really hope Duke gets a chance to host Stewart and impress him. I think Carey was ready to commit to Duke after his visit but wanted to wait and see how things planned out at MSU and with Stewart. If we xan get Stewart in the house and convince him. Then those two with Boogie and Moore, is something to be excited about.

If we miss on both, where does Duke turn?

We're still recruiting Matthew Hurt I believe, though it seems that ship has sailed and he's Kansas/UNC's to lose.

If we miss on both Carey/Stewart, I'd assume we may take a lower tiered 4 or 3 star big to develop. And just roll out Bolden/Javin/Jack to play the bulk of the 4/5 minutes next year.
Other than that...a grad transfer or a reclassification???

We're still recruiting Matthew Hurt I believe, though it seems that ship has sailed and he's Kansas/UNC's to lose.

If we miss on both Carey/Stewart, I'd assume we may take a lower tiered 4 or 3 star big to develop. And just roll out Bolden/Javin/Jack to play the bulk of the 4/5 minutes next year.
Other than that...a grad transfer or a reclassification???

I've said it before, and I'll restate it now: If we win the title, Bolden will go pro regardless of his projected landing spot. Unless he is just horrible, he'll go pro.
And I don't think we can get to the FF or better if Bolden is truly horrible. I'm not saying he'll be a stud, or that he's integral to our success, but we can't win unless he demonstrates a certain level of competence. If he does that, and we are very successful this year, I feel he'll take his chances in the pros.
Which, I'm OK with. Carey, and likely Stewart, will wait until the spring to decide (or sign, which is the same thing).
By then, the hype train around Duke will make us that much more attractive, to say nothing of the open slot we'll have.
I'm less sanguine now about the possibility of a senior Jav as the lone big. We can go four out, but it is still dangerous. I'm not sold on any decent bigs being available for grad transfer.
Reclassification would be more likely IMO.

I've said it before, and I'll restate it now: If we win the title, Bolden will go pro regardless of his projected landing spot. Unless he is just horrible, he'll go pro.
And I don't think we can get to the FF or better if Bolden is truly horrible. I'm not saying he'll be a stud, or that he's integral to our success, but we can't win unless he demonstrates a certain level of competence. If he does that, and we are very successful this year, I feel he'll take his chances in the pros.
Which, I'm OK with. Carey, and likely Stewart, will wait until the spring to decide (or sign, which is the same thing).
By then, the hype train around Duke will make us that much more attractive, to say nothing of the open slot we'll have.
I'm less sanguine now about the possibility of a senior Jav as the lone big. We can go four out, but it is still dangerous. I'm not sold on any decent bigs being available for grad transfer.
Reclassification would be more likely IMO.
All of this I agree with. If we win the title, than next year is gravy anyway IMO. That's how I looked at 2016, we were bad (for Duke standards) but it was still a really fun year because I didn't feel any pressure as a fan to win.

If Joey Baker puts on some weight, granted we would be playing small-ball, but he could play some minutes at the 4. K loves his 4 to be "stretchy", and Baker could play the Ryan Kelly role.

Carey is announcing in the next two weeks. I think he's going to cut it to three before then.

Carey is announcing before the months is up. He is our best chance. But i think MSU and Stewart has gotten in his ear about a wombo combo in MSU next year.

We need to get Stewart in the house before the months up. He also has said he wants to commit early and just focus on playing.

Hurt is out the door unless we can pull a 180 on him. But i think he is a KU lock as long as nothing funky happens with KU and the NCAA Investigation.

Who in the 2020 class would you like see reclassify if we had to go that route?

Carey is announcing in the next two weeks. I think he's going to cut it to three before then.
I seem to remember reading somewhere not to long ago that one of the top players in the 2019 class is announcing on the 14th but I can’t remember if it was Carey or another player.

Carey is announcing before the months is up. He is our best chance. But i think MSU and Stewart has gotten in his ear about a wombo combo in MSU next year.

We need to get Stewart in the house before the months up. He also has said he wants to commit early and just focus on playing.

Hurt is out the door unless we can pull a 180 on him. But i think he is a KU lock as long as nothing funky happens with KU and the NCAA Investigation.

Who in the 2020 class would you like see reclassify if we had to go that route?
Everything is speculation in reference to Hurt being out the door. Do you have a link, because everything I've seen posted and on the premium sites as well don't mention anything except opinions. All this hurt to Ku sounds just like all the Zion to Clemson or the situation we just went through. I get this is a message board and people voice their opinions. But fact of the matter is, posting info like it's facts is just nonsense.

Everything is speculation in reference to Hurt being out the door. Do you have a link, because everything I've seen posted and on the premium sites as well don't mention anything except opinions. All this hurt to Ku sounds just like all the Zion to Clemson or the situation we just went through. I get this is a message board and people voice their opinions. But fact of the matter is, posting info like it's facts is just nonsense.

Take all of this as opinion. This is just the general feel from reading interviews and watching the recruitment trends of the three. There is nothing showing Hurts is a lock but also jothing indicates any sort of trend showing Hurts is still interested or being pursued by Duke. Forgive me if i made anything sound as facts.

A message boards about recruitment in and of itself is nonsense. But doesn't stop us from probing and getting others feelings. In the end these are 17/18 year old kids trying to make the best choice for them. No one truly knows what a kid will do until they do it. So in the end its all just opinions.

Hurt has a list of Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Memphis, North Carolina & Indiana. No real favorites. Do I think he goes to Duke? No. But it's worth the effort.

Take all of this as opinion. This is just the general feel from reading interviews and watching the recruitment trends of the three. There is nothing showing Hurts is a lock but also jothing indicates any sort of trend showing Hurts is still interested or being pursued by Duke. Forgive me if i made anything sound as facts.

A message boards about recruitment in and of itself is nonsense. But doesn't stop us from probing and getting others feelings. In the end these are 17/18 year old kids trying to make the best choice for them. No one truly knows what a kid will do until they do it. So in the end its all just opinions.
I can tell you without giving up too much info, Duke is and has been heavily involved with Hurt lead by K who has told him on many occasions he is priority.

Hurt has a list of Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Memphis, North Carolina & Indiana. No real favorites. Do I think he goes to Duke? No. But it's worth the effort.
I totally agree. At the end of the day, I think Carey/Stewart decision will way heavily on his decision as well. Long way to go with him.

For what it's worth Carey is pretty tight with Boogie and was really invested on his announcement. I think it's a Duke, MSU & Miami race at this point.

I think so as well. MSU fans are all pumped up with Carey right now because he brought his whole family to his visit. Funny thing is, he did the exact same thing to Duke lol. At least one of the two, I think will be at Duke.

I can't even think about next year right now. I so hyped about what he have this year!! Can you just imagine if it were the old days when hardly no one leaves early and we have this team as juniors and seniors? LAWD!!!!

I can't even think about next year right now. I so hyped about what he have this year!! Can you just imagine if it were the old days when hardly no one leaves early and we have this team as juniors and seniors? LAWD!!!!
A man can dream right lol.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Curious why there has always been so much negative speculation regarding Bolden. First, he wasnt choosing Duke. Then, he is uninvested, doesn't care while he was hurt. Next, he was lazy. Then he was going to transfer. The next year, he was going to transfer again. Now he is going to leave even if he is unlikely to get drafted. I get the idea that he probably expected to be one and done, especially with the early hype. That said the injuries weren't his fault. Neither was the Mono. All the while I have never heard a negative word from him or his family. He has never gotten in trouble or been suspended. He has remained academically eligible at Duke for 3 years now. Is it impossible to think that he actually likes being at Duke? Is it impossible to think that he is a smart kid who has his head on right? That he is willing to put in the work necessary to realize his dream?

Curious why there has always been so much negative speculation regarding Bolden. First, he wasnt choosing Duke. Then, he is uninvested, doesn't care while he was hurt. Next, he was lazy. Then he was going to transfer. The next year, he was going to transfer again. Now he is going to leave even if he is unlikely to get drafted. I get the idea that he probably expected to be one and done, especially with the early hype. That said the injuries weren't his fault. Neither was the Mono. All the while I have never heard a negative word from him or his family. He has never gotten in trouble or been suspended. He has remained academically eligible at Duke for 3 years now. Is it impossible to think that he actually likes being at Duke? Is it impossible to think that he is a smart kid who has his head on right? That he is willing to put in the work necessary to realize his dream?
A lot of the “Bolden is going transfer” posts that you’ve seen were from regular posters poking fun of other people that kept saying that he was going to transfer. It seems like whenever we have a player that isn’t getting much playing time there are certain posters that start claiming that player is going to transfer, so some of our regular posters like to poke fun at them.

Reactions: skysdad
I like Bolden, he seems like a good kid. I hope he plays well enough this year to get drafted at the end of this season. And as said above, if he does play that well, it probably means we see Duke in the final four.

I think we need to either get Bolden back or land another big. Tre back would be nice as well. I totally agree if we win the title we'll be playing with house money next year.

Looks like Stewart is coming Nov. 24th.

I think Carey wants to commit to Duke, he likes and comments on alot of Duke IG/twitter stuff and seems to be close with boogie. If Duke can get Stewart to buy in and we land a 4man class of Moore, Boogie Stewart and Carey that would be nice. Just hoping Stewart isn't all in on MSU definitely going to be a big day Nov. 24th.

Looks like Stewart is coming Nov. 24th.

I think Carey wants to commit to Duke, he likes and comments on alot of Duke IG/twitter stuff and seems to be close with boogie. If Duke can get Stewart to buy in and we land a 4man class of Moore, Boogie Stewart and Carey that would be nice. Just hoping Stewart isn't all in on MSU definitely going to be a big day Nov. 24th.

Given that we'll return at least one of Jav and Bolden, getting Stewart and Carey would be dicey. One is reasonable, but both? It is a stretch. Personally, I'd prefer Stewart because his defense, rebounding, and tenacity will help a college team tremendously next year. But, I really think he likes MSU, and Washington a lot. We'll take whichever one commits first, and then move on to the class of 2020, which could be a lot closer to the class of 2018 for Duke than some realize.

Given that we'll return at least one of Jav and Bolden, getting Stewart and Carey would be dicey. One is reasonable, but both? It is a stretch. Personally, I'd prefer Stewart because his defense, rebounding, and tenacity will help a college team tremendously next year. But, I really think he likes MSU, and Washington a lot. We'll take whichever one commits first, and then move on to the class of 2020, which could be a lot closer to the class of 2018 for Duke than some realize.
You’d really be okay with Javin and just one of Carey or Stewart? I like the kid. Good athlete and great motor. Most importantly he’s Duke through and through. But he’s not a basketball player. If he has to play more than 10 minutes a game I’d be worried. The amount of mistakes he makes drives me nuts.

You’d really be okay with Javin and just one of Carey or Stewart? I like the kid. Good athlete and great motor. Most importantly he’s Duke through and through. But he’s not a basketball player. If he has to play more than 10 minutes a game I’d be worried. The amount of mistakes he makes drives me nuts.

I'd love Stewart and Carey. It won't happen. Both are true low post players in college. They won't play together. Let go of that dream.

I'd love Stewart and Carey. It won't happen. Both are true low post players in college. They won't play together. Let go of that dream.
Lol that isn’t what you said in your first post at all. You said you didn’t want both bc of Bolden or Javin returning. Nothing about how Carey and Stewart would play together...

Lol that isn’t what you said in your first post at all. You said you didn’t want both bc of Bolden or Javin returning. Nothing about how Carey and Stewart would play together...

I said it would be dicey getting them both. Given that, I said it would be fine with getting only one because Javin would be decent.
Reading comprehension isn't for everyone, I guess.

I said it would be dicey getting them both. Given that, I said it would be fine with getting only one because Javin would be decent.
Reading comprehension isn't for everyone, I guess.
Which, is why I said anything to begin with. You CAN NOT rely on Javin for extended minutes. You just can’t.

You’re right. Reading comprehension, or just The ability to read period, isn’t for everyone.

Goodness dude.

Reactions: QC Dukie
White, Baker, javin, Bolden and jrob will hold down the front court 4 seniors and a sophomore really only room for 1 my guess is Carey

937 don't forget that Javin has a ton of time to come around. He has had limited playing time and some minor injuries that often impact a developing player much more than someone who comes in ready to go skill wise. Hopefully, he is s totally different player by the time next years conference schedule starts.

If no Bolden, I want them both. With an improved Bolden and Jav, either would suffice.

Reactions: Duke937
937 don't forget that Javin has a ton of time to come around. He has had limited playing time and some minor injuries that often impact a developing player much more than someone who comes in ready to go skill wise. Hopefully, he is s totally different player by the time next years conference schedule starts.

If no Bolden, I want them both. With an improved Bolden and Jav, either would suffice.
I’ll take this for sure. If both are improved by next year, one will be fine!

You do realize that DeLaurier played more than 10 mpg as a sophomore for an Elite Eight team?

Or, perhaps not.

My concern next year is the offensive firepower. I think Javin and Bolden have the ability to match or exceed what Zoubek and Lance provided in 9/10. What will be harder to match is the production of Scheyer, Nolan, and Kyle.

My concern next year is the offensive firepower. I think Javin and Bolden have the ability to match or exceed what Zoubek and Lance provided in 9/10. What will be harder to match is the production of Scheyer, Nolan, and Kyle.

Don't worry about offense. Unless the big is stroking 3s, offense from bigs isn't that important. Very few teams win on the back of low post production from bigs. They have to rebound and defend.
Look, we won't be that dynamic on offense next year. But we might run out 4-5 guards/wings that are DEADLY from 3. If the bigs only play D and rebound, we'll win a ton of games. If Carey can defend and rebound and score, we are a serious ff threat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT