ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Reddish, Tre Jones and RJ Barrett ?

To UK point about defense they haven't played anybody!! Have you looked at there schedule? lol Kansas is the only decent team they played and they lost there schedule is a joke

A squad next year of: Tre/RJ/Cam/Javin/Bolden
Alex/Vrank/JGold/Tucker/White

is a very appealing team...I'll take it!

Nation I will too, just hoping 2-3 of those guys dont get disenchanted from lack of PT this year and transfer... OFC

I don't think Bolden transfers bc what's the value to do that for him? Would take him longer to get to the League. He either stays or enters the draft and I agree it's prob 50/50.

If he does stay, it helps the team with size and post depth but not necessarily as an option to score. Neither he or Javin are those type of players, yet. I do believe Duke pursues another big in some way.

Trent's path is following Winslow's. Gary needs to continue to demonstrate he can shoot the ball, score and play solid D. IF he does than I think he's 90% gone.

Next year's team will be so loaded in the back court, it's unbalanced. Tre, Cam and RJ will for sure start and JG, Alex will come off the bench as will one of Tucker or White, both of who are unproven. Jack could move to 4 if needed bc he is 6-7 226 wiith long arms and he has the ability to stretch the floor with his shooting ability. If the rotation at the 4 and 5 are Vrank, and Javin, (Bolden, if he stays) I just feel Duke would never look to play the ball down low and opposing teams will just extend their D.

Even with Bolden returning, I don't see a way doesn't at least explore their options....be it a late recruit or grad transfer.

In fairness, UK is loaded with Freshmen and ranked 12th in D compared to Duke at 69 per kenpom. Isn't UK loaded with Freshmen?

In all fairness, UK has played a crap schedule. They did play Kansas, but other than that, they have played a bunch of nobodies. Even Cal ducked the PK80 tournament because he knew his team could lose every game they played. Not really a good sample size for their defense, at least at this point.

Reactions: youknowit1
youknowit1 hit on something. J Rob IS really progressing, he's got the genes! I bet he's our best defender as well, you just do NOT shoot over that guy.

I'll be honest, I don't have confidence the coaches can make a team headlined by those 3 top 10 recruits work. Next year we'll have wings galore but there's a pretty good chance our bigs will be inexperienced or have transferred out.

40 years of experience isn't helpful if what used to work no longer does, and you're too inflexible to adapt. I feel that's where we are with Coach K. There's no reason this roster shouldn't be a top 30 defense, which is all we'd need to win it all given our offense is always between very good to great.

I would love for the athletic director to get involved and hire a consultant that could work with the staff to implement an easier and more effective defense.
You cannot be serious.Arguably the Goat is going to let a consultant come in to tell him how to run his program.Like Lee Trevino said he would get a coach when he found one who could beat him.Thid is one of the most asinine posts that I have ever seen

Reid Travis would be a guy we all would like to have at Duke and he would qualify to be a grad transfer BUT there's no indication that he would leave Stanford or want to be at Duke. It's all wishful pondering based on Duke being one of his finalist coming out of HS and Duke's need for a proven big.

JRob would be a nice surprise and a great story but again, it's the staff that has to have he confidence in him and he needs to demonstrate that ability in practices.

I would love Reid Travis. I have always found it odd why we have never had a Grad Transfer. Especially because youth/maturity has been an issue the past few years. Don't know if this was just a K rule where he doesn't want a guy like that or what. My guess would be a 22 year old graduate transfer doesn't wanna come and be on a team with a bunch of 18/19 year olds.

Sounds dumb given the graduate transfer has a chance to receive a Duke education while playing for the GOAT. Anyone have any theories on why we haven't ever gotten one?? The social aspect of being around all freshman minus a few guys would be my guess.

Last edited:
I would love Reid Travis. I have always found it odd why we have never had a Grad Transfer. Especially because youth/maturity has been an issue the past few years. Don't know if this was just a K rule where he doesn't want a guy like that or what. My guess would be a 22 year old graduate transfer doesn't wanna come and be on a team with a bunch of 18/19 year olds.

Sounds dumb given the graduate transfer has a chance to receive a Duke education while playing for the GOAT. Anyone have any theories on why we haven't ever gotten one?? The social aspect of being around all freshman minus a few guys would be my guess.

Duke has explored it before....more than once. Tarik Black was down to us and Kansas, but ultimately chose the Jayhawks. Who was the point guard from Yale a few years back? We looked at him, too. There was also the guard who played at a smaller school in the Midwest and was a prolific scorer.

I don’t think it’s something Duke will ever rule out, as evidenced by us looking at others. It just hasn’t happened, yet.

You cannot be serious.Arguably the Goat is going to let a consultant come in to tell him how to run his program.Like Lee Trevino said he would get a coach when he found one who could beat him.Thid is one of the most asinine posts that I have ever seen
Well, he DOES have wildcat in his name

Duke has explored it before....more than once. Tarik Black was down to us and Kansas, but ultimately chose the Jayhawks. Who was the point guard from Yale a few years back? We looked at him, too. There was also the guard who played at a smaller school in the Midwest and was a prolific scorer.

I don’t think it’s something Duke will ever rule out, as evidenced by us looking at others. It just hasn’t happened, yet.
I remember the PG from Yale. He helped beat Baylor in Round 1 of the 2016 NCAA's and we took Yale out in Round 2. (I remember being pumped when Yale beat Baylor, we matched up TERRIBLE with Baylor) Man, he would have been HUGE on last years squad.

Definitely recall the Tarik Black rumors. Funny because I believe he barely played/contributed at Kansas, and he's now a serviceable role player in the NBA.

It would be great for a grad transfer but kind of a OAD player too. If Duke could get Reid, now that line up would be fun.

I remember the PG from Yale. He helped beat Baylor in Round 1 of the 2016 NCAA's and we took Yale out in Round 2. (I remember being pumped when Yale beat Baylor, we matched up TERRIBLE with Baylor) Man, he would have been HUGE on last years squad.

Definitely recall the Tarik Black rumors. Funny because I believe he barely played/contributed at Kansas, and he's now a serviceable role player in the NBA.

Black picking KU was always a bit puzzling to me....just never understood it. They had both Ellis and Embiid that season, as well as Landon Lucas and a freshman Andrew Wiggins who was going to play some stretch four. He would have looked really good playing alongside Jabari and Rodney that season.

Reactions: jwill133
Black picking KU was always a bit puzzling to me....just never understood it. They had both Ellis and Embiid that season, as well as Landon Lucas and a freshman Andrew Wiggins who was going to play some stretch four. He would have looked really good playing alongside Jabari and Rodney that season.

...assuming he could stay out of foul trouble long enough for us to see that, haha. I recall him being a foul magnet.

So are we looking at anyone else for the 2018 class so far? The way it looks I would guess

Tre
RJ
Cam
Jav
Bolden

That assumes the entire starting 5 jumps to the league of course. I could also see Alex start for either Javin or Bolden and we play a bit small.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT