ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Reddish, Tre Jones and RJ Barrett ?

How about this everybody comes back...Duke goes 40-0 win number 7...Reddish,Barrett and Jones all come back in 2019 because they get no playing time next year Duke goes 40-0 again win number 8

I'm going to enjoy watching this group play together, and try not to think about next season. To me it's no different than wishing so and so would have stayed, or whatever.
Do what you want to guys, and by no means am I knocking anyone excited for next season, but we have something brewing this year.
Has anyone given thought to how unique this could play out for Grayson? The chance to win a title in freshman and senior years? I don't think that's ever been done in men's basketball.
Shabazz Napier from UConn

So RJ is playing in the beach ball tourney at myrtle beach. Zion is at we'll. The championships are the 30th so I've told my wife we need a New Year's Eve weekend trip!

Reactions: dukecorey
So RJ is playing in the beach ball tourney at myrtle beach. Zion is at we'll. The championships are the 30th so I've told my wife we need a New Year's Eve weekend trip!
You live in the Myrtle Beach area? I been to that tournament the last six years. It’s been very kind to Duke.

You live in the Myrtle Beach area? I been to that tournament the last six years. It’s been very kind to Duke.

I live near Asheville. Takes me around 5 hrs. Do you? How many coaches usually show up?

Last edited:
I live near Asheville. Takes me around 5 hrs. Do you? How many coaches usually show up?
I live in Myrtle and there is a good amount of coaches. Coach K, Capel, Roy & Cal have been there in the past. Duke has a run on MVP of the tournament which ended last year. Carter didn’t win it last year.

Reactions: pisgah101
I'll be honest, I don't have confidence the coaches can make a team headlined by those 3 top 10 recruits work. Next year we'll have wings galore but there's a pretty good chance our bigs will be inexperienced or have transferred out.

40 years of experience isn't helpful if what used to work no longer does, and you're too inflexible to adapt. I feel that's where we are with Coach K. There's no reason this roster shouldn't be a top 30 defense, which is all we'd need to win it all given our offense is always between very good to great.

I would love for the athletic director to get involved and hire a consultant that could work with the staff to implement an easier and more effective defense.

I'll be honest, I don't have confidence the coaches can make a....
That is either very poorly delivered sarcasm or a candidate for worst post of the season.
No reason this team isn't top 30 in defense? Here's one - a bunch of freshmen. Who were the best defenders for Duke in recent memory? Amile. Matt Jones. Veterans. This team should improve a lot on that end of the floor.
And I could tell you how it will go if an AD tries to micromanage ANY aspect of the basketball team - Coach K will tell him to F off.
I don't like how well we are playing defense either. But most of your post is total nonsense (again, or sarcasm and I'm just missing it...which I really hope is the case).

That is either very poorly delivered sarcasm or a candidate for worst post of the season.
No reason this team isn't top 30 in defense? Here's one - a bunch of freshmen. Who were the best defenders for Duke in recent memory? Amile. Matt Jones. Veterans. This team should improve a lot on that end of the floor.
And I could tell you how it will go if an AD tries to micromanage ANY aspect of the basketball team - Coach K will tell him to F off.
I don't like how well we are playing defense either. But most of your post is total nonsense (again, or sarcasm and I'm just missing it...which I really hope is the case).
I vote for worst post of the season...

I've said it many times
The Fr of Tre, RJ and Cam will be terrific and the second unit of Soph's, JG, Alex and Jordan T should all make that second year development jump (hopefully).

Biggest issues (no pun intended) are the 4 & 5.
Have Vrank (if he doesn't decide to transfer), and Javin.
There's no depth unless Justin R & Jack aee included as bigs.

My best guess is K will go
Tre
RJ
Alex
Cam
Javin
If K puts Vrank in the line up then slide Javin to the 4 and Cam to the 3 for Alex.

Still no one at the 4 or 5 that will be much of a threat to add consistent scoring in the paint

Lol, well if the subordinate tells his boss to F off, what do you think should happen in that situation? Or does Coach K get exempted from a reporting relationship that includes feedback? Please identify a single example where that makes sense. It's laughable.

Also, please explain how a coach like Brad Stevens can take medicore-at-best Duke defenders like Kyrie and Tatum and turn them into plus defenders w/in weeks.

You are welcome to unquestioningly follow authority. I'll pass.

Lol, well if the subordinate tells his boss to F off, what do you think should happen in that situation? Or does Coach K get exempted from a reporting relationship that includes feedback? Please identify a single example where that makes sense. It's laughable.

I'm telling you how I truly believe Coach K would react if an AD attempted to try to micromanage the team. The ADs job is to schedule games and things like that. The actual coaching of the team is Coach K's job. I'm not suggesting he's immune to a feedback process. But that he would entertain the level of infringement by an AD that you are suggesting is what is laughable. How do you see that going in Alabama with Nick Saban or in Connecticut with Geno Auriemma? And I'll use those two examples as ones where the AD would be GONE in an instant if he tried what you are suggesting.

Also, please explain how a coach like Brad Stevens can take medicore-at-best Duke defenders like Kyrie and Tatum and turn them into plus defenders w/in weeks.

Brad Stevens (and Coach K) is one of the best coaches in the country. And virtually everyone would agree (with both). The Celtics do have veterans. Do you think Kyrie and Tatum are the defensive leaders of that team? Or perhaps there's a veteran presence that helps the entire team over-perform? Duke has really 1 veteran player right now, and he is a poor defender. I think this is a much bigger deal than coaching. Anyone who has played organized basketball knows that good TEAM defense requires team chemistry that just hasn't had time to develop with these kids yet. As that improves, so does communication (which Duval mentioned as part of the second half lapse against S Dakota), and then so does defense.

You are welcome to unquestioningly follow authority. I'll pass.
Well that's not really my style either. I know one thing, Coach K has a better handle on this team than either of us. He said himself that the defense needs work. Everyone knows that. You are suggesting that aside from some external intervention that the problem can't be solved - and that next years team (without that intervention) is already doomed. If me disagreeing means I unquestioningly follow authority....well ok.

I'll say it again - I don't like how we're playing on defense either. But what you are suggesting is nonsense.

I'm telling you how I truly believe Coach K would react if an AD attempted to try to micromanage the team. The ADs job is to schedule games and things like that. The actual coaching of the team is Coach K's job. I'm not suggesting he's immune to a feedback process. But that he would entertain the level of infringement by an AD that you are suggesting is what is laughable. How do you see that going in Alabama with Nick Saban or in Connecticut with Geno Auriemma? And I'll use those two examples as ones where the AD would be GONE in an instant if he tried what you are suggesting.

Brad Stevens (and Coach K) is one of the best coaches in the country. And virtually everyone would agree (with both). The Celtics do have veterans. Do you think Kyrie and Tatum are the defensive leaders of that team? Or perhaps there's a veteran presence that helps the entire team over-perform? Duke has really 1 veteran player right now, and he is a poor defender. I think this is a much bigger deal than coaching. Anyone who has played organized basketball knows that good TEAM defense requires team chemistry that just hasn't had time to develop with these kids yet. As that improves, so does communication (which Duval mentioned as part of the second half lapse against S Dakota), and then so does defense.

Well that's not really my style either. I know one thing, Coach K has a better handle on this team than either of us. He said himself that the defense needs work. Everyone knows that. You are suggesting that aside from some external intervention that the problem can't be solved - and that next years team (without that intervention) is already doomed. If me disagreeing means I unquestioningly follow authority....well ok.

I'll say it again - I don't like how we're playing on defense either. But what you are suggesting is nonsense.

Well stated.

Reactions: dukehokie
In fairness, UK is loaded with Freshmen and ranked 12th in D compared to Duke at 69 per kenpom. Isn't UK loaded with Freshmen?
Yes they are. And this is true a lot of years. I think Coach K tends to bring on kids that are better on the offensive end in high school whereas Cal brings in great athletes who are better on defense individually. Of course this isn't always the case across the board, and of course we recruit many of the same players.

Yes they are. And this is true a lot of years. I think Coach K tends to bring on kids that are better on the offensive end in high school whereas Cal brings in great athletes who are better on defense individually. Of course this isn't always the case across the board, and of course we recruit many of the same players.
I think it's all in the teaching. Wichita State, Virginia play really good d with a bunch of no name kids. As much as Cal gets picked on, and I hate to admit it, typically his teams do play better d than K's teams.

6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi.jpg

It's goin downhill fast. One bad game and all of a sudden k don't know shit, Bigs would be crazy to come here and all is lost this season.
Come on Show. Only one guy came in here today and was negative. He got pounced on pretty good. Most people have faith, just want to see the d turn around, and some better decision making by Duval. Most of us just got slapped with reality that we have so many young pups that have a little learning to do.

Easy fellas, I made one simple comment/question. K is a great coach, I just don't buy into the "they're still AAU guys that's why our D is bad" excuse. Good news is it's December so there's still plenty of time to improve.

Reactions: Mac9192
2015 turned the D on I believe this team will too.

So should I go watch RJ play? That's the real question

Reactions: dukephysics
He’s going to graduate from Stanford this year and will have another year of eligibility left. And yes, he picked Stanford over us, despite many feeling a month before his decision he was a done deal to Duke.

And boy has Stanford been in the toilet the last few years. It is almost exclusively him, and then 4 warm bodies that don't do anything at all!

I wouldn’t be too worried about the defense. In all honesty, it seems like this team is holding back. For years, we opined for Duke to not peak in December. This team will be in their peak in late February, just in time for a nice postseason run.

Patience is a virtue with this team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT