ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Ingram

CatcherForLife6

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2002
Iowa
Per Evan Daniels on Twitter, Ingram will announce his college decision April 27 per his high school coach Perry Tyndall. Finally, thoughts? I'm torn. I think he chooses Duke but I think it's because I want him too. Fingers crossed.

I have some mixed feelings about Ingram and I'm not sure why. We certainly can use a player of his talents. I wish I felt more certain about him than I do and if we do get him I'll welcome him to the Duke family just as I do all our recruits. He no doubt will make us better. If we can't get him I hope he decides that UNC is not the place to be but for some reason I have a feeling that HOF Coach Roy Williams will convince that there will be no sanctions against UNC while Ingram is there if any at all. If he does go to UNC that should give us an indication about what the NCAA investigation has come up with. I think HOF Coach Roy Williams already knows the out come of the investigation but I am just a senile old fart who believes that UNC is to big for anything of major punishment will happen partly because of the legacy and reputation of Coach Dean Smith. OFC

Reactions: amesjr
Duke had an in home Friday and another one scheduled for Tuesday. Not sure it means anything but interesting nonetheless that Duke was the only school with two in home visits.

I still say he picks Duke, but maybe I'm like catcher and just projecting what I want to happen as opposed to what will happen. Whoever ultimately lands him is getting a supremely skilled player and one who I think will be one of the top 3 or 4 pros out of this recruiting class when it's all said and done.

This post was edited on 4/19 11:44 PM by mbdfan

Reactions: pharm727
I want the young man. Amile Jefferson was an April signing, he was a huge piece to a national.

It's easy to be selfish about our feelings when a kid like this signs late and can't make up his mind. But it's not us deciding our college choice, the group of 10 other kids that will soon become our brothers, the college coaches who've come inside your house and to your games and text you after their big wins "no, I don't want to come to your school, thank you anyways", telling another coach, teach me guide me, help me improve my game, possibly explaining to those around you and family that you'd prefer to go to a school that isn't their choice and go to a campus you really like, even though you love others.

We just watch the games. Cut the kid a break, he's 18 and it IS a big choice, despite what WE think. If your impatient about it, shut your mouth and go watch the national Championship again, I promise you will feel better afterwards.

Originally posted by crazyduke3:

We just watch the games. Cut the kid a break, he's 18 and it IS a big choice, despite what WE think. If your impatient about it, shut your mouth and go watch the national Championship again, I promise you will feel better afterwards.
I agree and Ingram actually doesn't turn 18 until during his freshman year of college (September)

I'd happily be wrong, but I think UNC has a real advantage here in that he is from a very pro UNC area/school, and I think as a teenager he is going to feel that pressure of everyone in his ear and maybe feel an obligation.

FWIW Ingram, himself. is a Duke fan. Has been his entire life. However, being from Kinston and playing AAU ball for Stackhouse the pressure of picking unc*** from the people around him may win out. I, personally, think HE REQUESTED a second inhome with Duke Tuesday to see what is going to happen with Thornton as Duke meets with him today, Monday. Little over a week and it will be over. Id like to see that kid at Duke, but if he chooses elsewhere best of luck to him.

The fact that he's meeting with UNC on Wed as his last visit, leaves this unsettling feeling for me.

I do hope he comes to Duke, but that just makes me wonder.

Impossible to know what all of this stuff means -- but, it's interesting to me how little optimism there is on this board about signing Ingram when there are lot of pieces of publicly available information that would suggest we're in pretty good position, such as our 70% to 13% lead on 247 predictions on 247 or the fact that UNC seems to be making a big push for the VCU wing decommits. While it wouldn't be a shock to me at all if Ingram picked either UNC or UK, the fact of the second visit does make me think that Ingram to Duke is more than a longshot.

Reactions: pharm727
Originally posted by aah555:
Impossible to know what all of this stuff means -- but, it's interesting to me how little optimism there is on this board about signing Ingram when there are lot of pieces of publicly available information that would suggest we're in pretty good position, such as our 70% to 13% lead on 247 predictions on 247 or the fact that UNC seems to be making a big push for the VCU wing decommits. While it wouldn't be a shock to me at all if Ingram picked either UNC or UK, the fact of the second visit does make me think that Ingram to Duke is more than a longshot.

Feels like a lot of folks here are trying to not get their hopes up. Lots of "I think he chooses Duke, but that's just my fan choice maybe".

I'm pretty confident right now we get Ingram and Thornton. Rebuild? RELOAD!

The reality is that you're right about reloading. We're in a pretty great spot to be honest. We'll get our PG and if we get him we probably get BI, but if we do not? I think we get Battle to reclass and come in. But hey, we'll know by the end of the month.

I remember how "everyone" thought Barnes was coming to Duke, until he wasn't. So for me, I have to temper my expectations. I'd really like him to come to Duke. But I'm not going to get myself all crazed up now, only to feel major disappointment later (potentially). So that's where I'm at, and I think others feel similar.

I'm aware of the 247 "Crystal Ball" or whatever they call it. How accurate do they tend to be?

To land a guy from Kinston that is UNC's top target would be one of the biggest recruiting upsets ever. Do not discount how strong the Kinston-UNC connection is.

Originally posted by HuffyJB:

I'm aware of the 247 "Crystal Ball" or whatever they call it. How accurate do they tend to be?
They are somewhat useful in giving you an indication of what the recruiting chatter suggests. Now, that obviously doesn't tell you everything -- b/c a kid may do a very good job keeping his cards close to his vest. However, the fact that one school is heavily favored or another would suggest, at a minimum, that there isn't any real sources / info. to suggest the 2nd place school will get the commit -- which, in and of itself, is somewhat telling. For Duke, at least, it's been pretty accurate over the past couple years -- with Jeter being 100% and Kennard at 69% before their respective commits, and Okafor / Jones / Winslow all being heavy Duke leans last year.

With that said, it's hardly infallible. The crystal ball was wrong on Swanigan, with most of the late predictions moving away from MSU to Cal at the last second (with the caveat that the Crystal Ball never gave us much of a chance even though we were theoretically listed as being very involved). In total, I believe the Crystal Ball has accurately predicted the commitments of 18 of the 20 kids in the top 25 who have already committed, but missed recently on two higher-rated, late deciding prospects (Diamond Stone, Swanigan).

This post was edited on 4/20 10:38 AM by aah555

Originally posted by stanleyduke:
To land a guy from Kinston that is UNC's top target would be one of the biggest recruiting upsets ever. Do not discount how strong the Kinston-UNC connection is.
Landing players in NC is very tough for Duke. UNC and NCSU are very popular in the state. Much more so than Duke, generally speaking.

And, esp. from Kinston. It would be a big coup.

Would also be great to the kid from W-S, Harry Giles, the next year.

Originally posted by youngman42:

Originally posted by stanleyduke:
Landing players in NC is very tough for Duke. UNC and NCSU are very popular in the state. Much more so than Duke, generally speaking.

And, esp. from Kinston. It would be a big coup.

Would also be great to the kid from W-S, Harry Giles, the next year.
All definitely valid points, and that's probably my biggest concern as well. With that said, the fact that the Ingram isn't completely wrapped up to UNC by this point (i.e., there's a need to have 2 visits with Duke) and that none of the top 2016 kids from NC seem to be heavily leaning towards UNC at this point (if anything, Giles is rumored to be leaning towards us), suggests to me that UNC's not nearly the dominant in-state force that we've grown accustomed to over the years. As of even a couple years ago, a kid like Ingram would have already committed to UNC a long time ago and guys like Giles, Dennis Smith, etc. would all be getting close to pulling the trigger for UNC. The combination of the scandal, NCAA issues, and mediocre play on the court has clearly taken a toll on their recruiting.

This post was edited on 4/20 11:55 AM by aah555

Reactions: youngman42
Originally posted by LandofOzDevil:
FWIW Ingram, himself. is a Duke fan. Has been his entire life.
I wonder how many young kids in North Carolina are Duke fans now and if the younger generations are going to start leaning more Duke rather than UNC and NC State as Duke has been the most successful in the past 18 years.

Any North Carolina residents feel this is happening?

While the adult population in North Carolina is still heavily in favor of the state schools, the younger generation is starting to lean toward the more successful Duke program? According to this post, possibly its the truth for Ingram.

I'm 24 and live in NC and it's always been Duke and UNC you're one or the other where I'm at with a few NC St fans but that's usually old people or kids of parents who went there. It use to seem like EVERYONE was cryolina fans but I'm seeing more and more duke support so I think it is changing some.

I'd be very surprised if Ingram didn't choose the Heels. I thought he was UNC-bound prior to Tokoto declaring....now I think it's almost a cinch he goes there. The family is huge UNC fans, BI was a huge Heels fan growing up, and he has to now see the opening for him to step in and play right away w/out Tokoto.

The only negative for UNC, IMO, is the pending NCAA allegations. But those won't come down before the end of next season....so Ingram is safe in that regard. Besides, he already flat out told us that if not for the scandal he would have committed to the Heels six or seven months ago. That kind of tells me everything I need to know.

Now, couple that with this kid being from Kingston and family friends of Jerry Stackhouse....well, let's just say this would be a huge Duke upset if Ingram did choose us, IMO. I hope we get him, but I'm about as convinced as I can be he's Heel on the 27th.

dukiejay, BI grew up a Duke fan. I'm not sure how I feel about BI at the moment. Part of me feels like he will be a blue devil and the other half feels like it's unc.

Any player who chooses UNC over Duke must like being second fiddle. That's not trash talk, that's just a fact. We set the standard in CBB by holding our players to the highest standard. Coach K is amazing. Roy is just a HOF coach.

I don't think it matters much as a player who you grew up pulling for as a fan. I think if you see yourself as a future NBA player, you're going to pick the program that's going to develop you the most for the next level. I think each player is going to listen to the sales pitch of each program and make the decision on which suits his individual needs the most. That said, I think BI chooses Duke!

He did grow up a Duke fan. Ultimately, i have no idea what he'll do. Maybe its Duke, maybe it's UNC, who knows maybe even UK jumped up...no clue. There are pro's and con's in each situation, ours are immediate playing time, more pub and air time than any other program out there, and the best coach of all time. the con's- unfinished and uncertain roster- hard to go past that, since, if you have an unfinished roster you can't say where you'll be in contention for next year.

I'm ready for this one to be over, not going to lose sleep if he goes to UNC, would like him at Duke, but my priorities are that if it costs us Tyus Battle, then i don't want that to be the reason Tyus doesnt join Duke.

So . . . why wait so long to make a decision? Maybe he's just enjoying the attention. But maybe there's more to it. One of those more-to-its might be Thornton. While Allen (or someone else) might turn into the next Scheyer, Ingram probably wants to make sure someone can get him the ball. That question (i.e., Thornton) could well be answered today.

So . . . why April 27? That's the day after the NBA deadline to enter, I believe. Or something like that. If there's any question in Ingram's mind about playing time that depends on a current player definitely being gone, that question is answered by the 27th. The last I heard, several relevant players have said they will enter the draft but haven't actually submitted the forms. If they have not officially severed ties with their current school or hired an agent, they could still change their minds. It seems very unlikely that Tokoto could return, but you never know (unless he has taken those irrevocable steps and I just haven't heard). What if Arron Harrison decides to stay at UK? And there may be other such situations. Doesn't seem to apply to Winslow, since he'll be a lottery pick. But Ingram could be waiting on someone else.

So . . . why a final meeting with K followed by a final meeting with Roy? Why that order? Is it to find out about Thornton coming to Duke and then to tell Roy "no thanks"? Or could it be to find out about Thornton not coming to Duke and give K a chance to make his case before committing to Roy? Or some completely different reason?

I find it interesting that we have a lot of people who are absolutely sure Ingram grew up a UNC fan, while a whole bunch more are sure he grew up a Duke fan. But I have always thought the delays signified that his signature was Carolina's to lose. Why? Because there really is no impediment to signing early with Duke. So if he was already a big fan who always wanted to play for Duke, he would have already announced.

Of course I could be wrong about all of that.

I have no idea which way this goes, and we'll be fine either way. With that said, while I fully recognize the significance of Ingram's local ties etc. to UNC and agree that those factors may eventually win out, I don't think UNC's recruiting problems are limited to the NCAA.

For starters, if Ingram does really view himself as OAD (which is the rationale for saying the NCAA issue doesn't matter), which school has proven far better in the OAD-era at putting its players in a position to declare for the NBA after one season? It's certainly not UNC. In fact, since the OAD era began in 06-07 with the new collectively bargaining agreement, UNC's amazingly only had one OAD player (Wright) despite recruiting at least 10 more very highly-regarded 5* guys who entered college with recruiting rankings that would suggest it could be a possibility. And, frankly, since the Henson class of 09, not only have none of UNC's 5* guys elevated their stock in college, but really only HB and McAdoo did enough in year 1 to even keep that option open after year 1. Indeed, for all the talk about Duke starting to recruit OADs, I'm sure it's been pointed out to Ingram that Jackson / Pinson entered college with nearly the same hype / NBA potential as Winslow and Jones.

Also, while there's no doubt he'd get minutes, I don't really see how Tokoto's departure suddenly clears up enough minutes to make him anything more than one of several wings in a UK-style platoon system. Let's not forget, they've already got two former top 10-15 recruits returning at the SF position and while, in theory, they could try to move Jackson or Ingram to the 2 -- that's a very tough position for either to play defensively + that would effectively require squeezing Joel Berry (let alone Nate Britt) out of the lineup. For Ingram to get anywhere near the minutes he'd get at Duke, both Berry and Pinson would effectively have to be relegated to 10-15 min. bit roles as sophs. and Nate Britt would need to start readying his transfer papers.

This post was edited on 4/20 4:01 PM by aah555

Roy doesn't showcase OAD talents like other places. Calipari and K play their OAD talents a ton of minutes mostly. Roy takes guys out because he seems to think using his entire bench, at the expense of better players, is the way to coach. Too be fair, Roy has done really well with that over the years and I am not saying he is not a great coach, he is, just not a OAD type coach. IMO.

This post was edited on 4/20 3:18 PM by denniden

I have no idea which way this goes, and we'll be fine either way. With that said, while I fully recognize the significance of Ingram's local ties etc. to UNC and agree that those factors may eventually win out, I don't think UNC's recruiting problems are limited to the NCAA.

For starters, if Ingram does really view himself as OAD (which is the rationale for saying the NCAA issue doesn't matter), which school has proven far better in the OAD-era at putting its players in a position to declare for the NBA after one season? It's certainly not UNC. In fact, since the OAD era began in 06-07 with the new collectively bargaining agreement, UNC's amazingly only had one OAD player (Wright) despite recruiting at least 10 more very highly-regarded 5* guys who entered college with recruiting rankings that would suggest it could be a possibility. And, frankly, since the Henson class of 09, not only have none of UNC's 5* guys elevated their stock in college, but really only HB and McAdoo did enough in year 1 to even keep that option open after year 1. Indeed, for all the talk about Duke starting to recruit OADs, I'm sure it's been pointed out to Ingram that Jackson / Pinson entered college with nearly the same hype / NBA potential as Winslow and Jones.

Also, while there's no doubt he'd get minutes, I don't really see how Tokoto's departure suddenly clears up enough minutes to make him anything more than one of several wings in a UK-style platoon system. Let's not forget, they've already got two former top 10-15 recruits returning at the SF position and while, in theory, they could try to move Jackson or Ingram to the 2 -- that's a very tough position for either to play defensively + that would effectively require squeezing Joel Berry (let alone Nate Britt) out of the lineup. For Ingram to get anywhere near the minutes he'd get at Duke, both Berry and Pinson would effectively have to be relegated to 10 min. bit roles as sophs. and Nate Britt would need to start readying his transfer papers.
That's how I see it. Berry would be the biggest loser. And Britt might not even see scrub minutes. Ingram could get starter minutes in rotation with Jackson and Pinson, but might not start. Could start but, as you say, 2 guys that size (Jackson and Ingram) could be a bit unwieldy on D, especially since Roy doesn't like zone.

OTOH, having those 2 as wings could be a Boeheim wet dream. Just imagine his zone with quick tall wings like that. Roy could make that shift, but it seems out of character.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

So . . . why a final meeting with K followed by a final meeting with Roy? Why that order? Is it to find out about Thornton coming to Duke and then to tell Roy "no thanks"? Or could it be to find out about Thornton not coming to Duke and give K a chance to make his case before committing to Roy? Or some completely different reason?
This is what The Chronicle had to say... Hopefully the latter is not the case..

"This additional visit most likely means one of two things-either Duke is putting the full-court press on Ingram or the Kinston, N.C., native plans to let the Blue Devils down easy before committing to the Tar Heels the very next day."

Originally posted by dukiejay:
I'd be very surprised if Ingram didn't choose the Heels. I thought he was UNC-bound prior to Tokoto declaring....now I think it's almost a cinch he goes there. The family is huge UNC fans, BI was a huge Heels fan growing up, and he has to now see the opening for him to step in and play right away w/out Tokoto.

The only negative for UNC, IMO, is the pending NCAA allegations. But those won't come down before the end of next season....so Ingram is safe in that regard. Besides, he already flat out told us that if not for the scandal he would have committed to the Heels six or seven months ago. That kind of tells me everything I need to know.

Now, couple that with this kid being from Kingston and family friends of Jerry Stackhouse....well, let's just say this would be a huge Duke upset if Ingram did choose us, IMO. I hope we get him, but I'm about as convinced as I can be he's Heel on the 27th.
At UNC, he would have to battle Jackson and Pinson for the 3 spot. Not sure where he "step in and play right away" comes from.

Originally posted by LetsGoDukies:

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

This is what The Chronicle had to say... Hopefully the latter is not the case..

"This additional visit most likely means one of two things-either Duke is putting the full-court press on Ingram or the Kinston, N.C., native plans to let the Blue Devils down easy before committing to the Tar Heels the very next day."
The latter seems very, very unlikely IMO. It would not only be a complete waste of the Duke coaching staff's time, but would be unnecessarily creating media drama around his decision at the expense of the Duke staff. While you never know with kids, the fact that Coach K appears to be making the visit leads me to believe that this is not the case. The fact of the second meeting could mean a whole host of things (e.g., he wants to finalize plans for Duke, he wanted to give Duke more time to figure out its PG plans, he was all set on UNC, and the Duke meeting gave him enough pause that he wanted to hear a bit more), but I think we're long past the days when recruits would invite coaches to their house to say no. I mean, seriously -- we live in a climate where most of these kids don't even deign to call 20 minutes before their press conference to give the losing coaches a heads-up.

This post was edited on 4/20 4:31 PM by aah555

I have kind of felt all along that Ingram is the Tarholes to lose, and when he said he would have chosen them before if it were not for the possible sanctions, I really lost interest.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him at Duke, but I just really am not thinking about it too much. When he knows he can probably step right in and play for the best program in BB and the best Coach, and still wants to go to NC, bye-bye and good luck.
I can tell you this for sure about Duke, it gonna be ok! Did you hear that Crazie, it's gonna be ok!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

It worked during the tourney so I'm gonna take your word for it. I do believe it be ok come tomorrow

If Duke doesn't land Ingram, any chance Battle reclassifies up along with Thornton?

I think if we get Ingram it will just about kill HOF Coach Roy Williams because they need him so much. OFC

Switch "Duke" and "UNC" around in each of these posts and our thread here is a mirror image of the UNC "Brandon Ingram" thread. Both fan bases aren't optimistic they'll land him, with a few optimists thrown in. Kind of funny.

Well I definitely think the landing of DT helps our cause but not sure if it's enough. I'm just worried about it. Seems to good to be true for us to land him. What is everyone's thought now on Murry? Also what's this do for DSJ next year? Does it affect it at all?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT