ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest sports upset you've ever witnessed.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Got this from listening to The David Glenn Show which is a local sports radio show here in N.C. The UMDBC upset of UVA is what inspired this as David ask for callers to call in and tell what were the biggest sports upset they had ever seen. Of course the UVA upset was popular along with The Miracle on Ice and the Buster Douglas knockout of mike Tyson but one guy called in and said this. I'm paraphrasing here but here is what he said. "The unc upset over the NCAA in the cheating scandal. After years of academic fraud and millions of dollars spent the unc lawyers found a way to get unc off scott free. They proved that not only athletes cheated but unc opened it up for all students to cheat and receive a degree. " Brilliant wasn't it. The NCAA like Mike Tyson never saw that haymaker coming. Knockout. With that said maybe that is the biggest upset in sports I've ever see. With all that evidence unc wasn't even challenged. I know if I ever get in trouble my lawyer is gonna be one of the unc's finest. OFC

What was DG's response? I'm curious....

Oh, and thanks for calling in DevilDJ. :p

Well to be honest he didn't say a lot. Kind of surprised me a little because one thing Glenn is a lawyer and a unc graduate. To his credit he does a good job about being objective and fair to all ACC teams but every now and then the unc comes out in him. You know what I always say. He's a tar heel fan. He can't help it. It's his nature. During the unc scandal thing he did look at it through a lawyers perspective and did predict that unc would come out smelling like a rose. As far as the response he seemed amused and did say that unc could be compared to Buster Douglas and Tyson as the NCAA crawling around the ring looking for his mouth piece. The caller had his act together and he kind of caught Glenn of guard. Wish there was a way I could post it. It was classic. My paraphrase really doesn't do it justice. If the caller was DevilDJ, outstanding. OFC

Getting back on the topic of the thread I do think The Miracle On Ice is my pick. OFC

2008 NFL Week 3.
0-2 Dolphins (previously 1-15) crushed the 2-0 Patriots (previously 16-0) in Foxborough 38-13 after introducing the Wildcat and watching Ronnie Brown run roughshod to the tune of 4 tds.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Before I was alive but I’m thinkin the miracle on ice was. In my life maybe Pistons > Lakers in 04, Giants > Pats in 07, Virginia going down the other night has to be up there.

My freshman year at Appalachian State we beat Michigan.

Def. up there in greatest upsets. I'm sure plenty of people in NC called in with this one:).
I played football at App in the 80's. I was at the college football hall of fame and there was a video of the game and it was called the greatest college football upset of all time. It's funny how in the movie The Longest Yard, Adam Sandler makes the comment, "we need a tune up game lets play someone like Appalachian State. The very next year App upsets Michigan at the Big House. Awesome!

As far as witnessing an upset, I was there in about 1972 when Duke beat UNC on a Robbie West jumper with a few seconds left. At the time I think UNC was No. 2 in the country. It was also the night that Duke Indoor Stadium was renamed for Eddie Cameron. I can still picture Robbie West's shot going in and we were all in disbelief!

As far as witnessing an upset, I was there in about 1972 when Duke beat UNC on a Robbie West jumper with a few seconds left. At the time I think UNC was No. 2 in the country. It was also the night that Duke Indoor Stadium was renamed for Eddie Cameron. I can still picture Robbie West's shot going in and we were all in disbelief!

I remember that and it was a thrill. OFC

I remember watching the Duke UNLV in 91 and when Duke went up by 2 in the first minute or so of the game, the announcers laughing and commenting something like "this is UNLV's biggest deficit of the year". Sweet fancy Moses what a game!

Rulon Gardner defeating Aleksandr Karelin in the 2000 olympics. Karelian seemed unbearable, but Gardner caught lightning in a bottle that day.

Reactions: skysdad
Biggest upset I ever heard about was Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson. Biggest one I ever was I. Attendance for was Lehigh-Duke. Some UNC fans were sitting behind us talking about how ”Scheyer was a bum” and would end up losing the game for Duke. “Zeller is shit and needs to get beat tonight.” When mason plumlee got his 3rd foul, the same dumbasses jumped up and yelled to Tyler Zeller “that’s right bitch! Get the **** out, Zeller!” It was so bizarre. I was fairly new to the extreme idiocy of North Carolina fans. I grew up in Kentucky and thought “nobody could be dumber than any kentucky fan. UNC fans put up a fight that night against my psyche but kentucky ****s still take the cake. Dumbest people to ever live on earth. Above all else.... more than #GTHC... **** kentucky basketball. You will only understand if you lived in Kentucky when Laettner hit The Shot. All Cat fans need to disappear for earth. I am a full-time Tar Hell fan compared to kentucky’s awful shitbase program. I was born and raised in Kentucky by Native North Carolinians. Duke fans since 1960. I hate kentucky basketball.

Reactions: christophero
I’m also pretty drunk. Sorry for the poor punctuation and diction in the above comment. But, I’m sure you can figure out what I’m saying. Sorry.

Reactions: Neue Regel
Ol "DG" (as he likes to refer to himself in the 3rd person) isnt a blatant homer, but more a polished version of Kenny Smith. Wish I'd heard it, but seldom listen to the guy because of his very biased coverage of the UNC scandal...

OFC

Reactions: Dad2ze
My freshman year at Appalachian State we beat Michigan.

Def. up there in greatest upsets. I'm sure plenty of people in NC called in with this one:).

I was a junior a MSU when this happened. My roommates and I celebrated about as hard as we would have for an MSU win. I remember seeing App State gear at the Meijer stores near East Lansing for that whole season haha

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
9-seed Boston College over 1-seed UNC in 1994 (defending champs + ACC Tournament Champs) was pretty cool... actually, it was very, very cool.

Reactions: hart2chesson
North Carolina over Duke in this year's ACC tournament. No the biggest upset to me was the first time Tyson got knocked out. Was that Buster Douglas?

Miracle on Ice
Duke over UNLV
UVa losing to UMBC
NC State over Houston
Villanova over Georgetown
David over Goliath

If you witnessed David over Goliath, you're almost as old as @skysdad !!

Don't try to be funny. David was a friend of mine. Knew him well. He told me Goliath was going down a week before it happened. Very talented man. Best harp player ever. Had a way with animals especially sheep. Had an eye for married women though. Got him into some big time trouble. OFC

Last edited:
My son played red league basketball. They had a great team but had a bad bad half one night. They were down by 24 at the half to another great team who couldn’t miss a shot and played great defense. His team went on an 18-0 run in the 3Q and ended up winning by 14. Totally shut the other team down. I know there are more great ones but this game proved to those boys that anything is possible if you give it your all.

Don't try to be funny. David was a friend of mine. Knew him well. He told me Goliath was going down a week before it happened. Very talented man. Best harp player ever. Had a way with animals especially sheep. Had an eye for the women though. Got him into some big time trouble. OFC

Hahaha....well played.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT