ADVERTISEMENT

Best idea for paying players

dachampishere2

Cameron Crazy
Feb 15, 2017
Florida State football coach had a brilliant idea for paying players in college sports. He said that the money should be put in a trust fund and the only way that you can get it out is if you graduate. This would obviously be more beneficial to football players but it could be good for basketball. I think they should add to that if the player exhausts his eligibility as well. It’s a good sounding plan to me

Florida State football coach had a brilliant idea for paying players in college sports. He said that the money should be put in a trust fund and the only way that you can get it out is if you graduate. This would obviously be more beneficial to football players but it could be good for basketball. I think they should add to that if the player exhausts his eligibility as well. It’s a good sounding plan to me
Doesn’t address how much players will be paid and who gets paid what across the board. Are all athletes getting paid the same amount? All sports? Even non revenue sports? Are starters being paid more? Are we saying the school is setting up the trust fund? Is it the NCAA? How is it regulated?

Doesn’t address how much players will be paid and who gets paid what across the board. Are all athletes getting paid the same amount? All sports? Even non revenue sports? Are starters being paid more? Are we saying the school is setting up the trust fund? Is it the NCAA? How is it regulated?

It’s an idea. I’m sure if they implemented it they would have the amounts for everything.

Reactions: Dattier
Give the kids a semester stipend of $5,000.00. Allow the kids to make money off of individual jersey sales and college sport video games directly through the university. Other than that, keep it the same. Despite all that, it will not be enough for some people.

Just let the 10-20 basketball players be aloud to sign major endorsement deals.’ Bagley should have already been making millions with Nike.

Then let the 20-30 football players be aloud to have some sort of deal with an apparel company. Those are the 2 sports that make the money.

The NCAA sucks. A bunch of party-poppers if you ask me.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I’m against paying college players. As someone with a 6 figure student loan debt I have very little sympathy for people that complain that all they get is a free education, free housing, free athletic gear, etc. If they want to give them a stipend equivalent to what regular students can get in student loan living expenses then that would be ok.

The real answer is to get rid of the one and done and let people with the skills to do a job at a high level go earn the money the market values them at.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I’m against paying college players. As someone with a 6 figure student loan debt I have very little sympathy for people that complain that all they get is a free education, free housing, free athletic gear, etc. If they want to give them a stipend equivalent to what regular students can get in student loan living expenses then that would be ok.

The real answer is to get rid of the one and done and let people with the skills to do a job at a high level go earn the money the market values them at.
I agree with you on this. If you want education go to college and if you want to go to work you should be allowed to go to the NBA if you're capable.

How much would tuition rise?

Why would tuition rise? Athletics is the one that make majority of the money for the school. The money made from the games would be put aside. They would have to work a deal with the boosters that make money off the program as well.

If schools were to pay athletes that money would have to come from somewhere. If those funds were to come out of the money making sports like men basketball, football, etc, that money would have to be made up somewhere. Yes the big sports at the big schools may be money makers, but they are BIG machines that consume lots of capital. Ticket sales would have to go up, and yes tuition for all would go up.

I agree with those who question how you decide who get's paid and how much is the biggest issue. Is a Bagley more "valuable" to Duke and CBB than is the third string catcher on the women's softball team? If so, how much? Who decides??

Players should get paid. However IMHO the money cannot come from the schools. Players absolutely should be able to make money off their popularity thru endorsements. They should make money off gear sales. They should be able to earn money from appearances at camps or on video games or instructions videos and websites. Let them make any money they can, but it can't come from the school for which they play. No system would be flawless, but schools paying players is wrought with potential problems. Let the free market decide how much they are "worth" and how much they should get "paid".

Just my $.02

Alan

Reactions: jwill133
If schools were to pay athletes that money would have to come from somewhere. If those funds were to come out of the money making sports like men basketball, football, etc, that money would have to be made up somewhere. Yes the big sports at the big schools may be money makers, but they are BIG machines that consume lots of capital. Ticket sales would have to go up, and yes tuition for all would go up.

I agree with those who question how you decide who get's paid and how much is the biggest issue. Is a Bagley more "valuable" to Duke and CBB than is the third string catcher on the women's softball team? If so, how much? Who decides??

Players should get paid. However IMHO the money cannot come from the schools. Players absolutely should be able to make money off their popularity thru endorsements. They should make money off gear sales. They should be able to earn money from appearances at camps or on video games or instructions videos and websites. Let them make any money they can, but it can't come from the school for which they play. No system would be flawless, but schools paying players is wrought with potential problems. Let the free market decide how much they are "worth" and how much they should get "paid".

Just my $.02

Alan
This has always been my view as well. It just seems like there will never be a "fair way" to pay college athletes.

However, why can't guys market themselves and make money off their names? Why can't the "elite of the elite" be able to already have endorsement deals?
I went to the Duke- Clemson game, and their were MANY Marvin Bagley III jerseys being worn in the stands. I thought that was awesome, so I went ahead and bought one myself, spent $80 and got the legit jersey with HIS NAME on it as well. The fact that you can buy a guys jersey, and he gets ZERO, is idiotic and unfair.

Not to mention...those video games used to bring in A LOT OF cash, allow the athletes to get some dollars if their sport is popular enough to have a video game off of it.

Basketball camps and autograph sessions should also be a way that the elite athlete's can profit off of their name.

Give the kids a semester stipend of $5,000.00. Allow the kids to make money off of individual jersey sales and college sport video games directly through the university. Other than that, keep it the same. Despite all that, it will not be enough for some people.
Although there is constant talk of bringing them back - there currently are no College Basketball or Football video games

Coach%20K%20College%20Basketball%20(U).png

Last edited:
Reactions: GillJET
Who gets paid? Only revenue producing teams?

That Coach K game was great!

i would just use the current system that capel and k implemented in recent years. seems to be working well for recruiting and look how it has brought all of us together on this board ;)

Student players should get paid $0.00. Their images are worth $0.00 coming out of high school and only become marketable because of the college uniforms they are wearing. It is the teams that create most of the value in the jerseys carrying a player's name, not the players themselves. Sure, a great player at a great school garners more fan allegiance than a benchsitter. But so what? For example, if Bagley had gone to Montana, there would have been little market for a jersey with his name on it. There is no market for the images of great European players before they enter the NBA. Players who are lucky enough to play for great programs get tons of quid pro quo in the form of preparation to go to the next level, at which point, if they stick, they become highly, if not over-, compensated for their basketball skills. To argue that they are being victimized in college and have done something to earn the right to market themselves in a school's uniform is ludicrous. By awarding scarce valuable positions on a team to players and thereby gambling on the expected contributions of those players, schools are entitled to realize the financial benefits that come with allowing those players to appear as members of their teams. Athletic gear sales are just another source of income by which colleges try to fund all of their sports and operations and to give their student athletes scholarships and opportunities for success after leaving college. That includes scholarship basketball players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT