ADVERTISEMENT

Best era in Duke Athletics history...

smashmouth5

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2001
Was thinking about how well so many of the Duke athletic teams are playing now. Is this the best time we have seen for Duke athletics?

Reactions: Willcampbell
Smash I would say with the baseball team's emergence its got to be one of the best times. Women's golf is a powerhouse, as is men's lax, and David Cutcliffe has had the football team in bowl games 5 of the last 6 years! OFC

Speaking of that. Who wrote Roger Ayers a bad check for the KU game?

Skysdad had me personally deliver the check to the referee's in Omaha. Turns out, I made an honest mistake and the check was intercepted by a Kansas alum/booster. Don't worry, skysdad told me it's the last time I'm put in charge of something like that.

Skysdad had me personally deliver the check to the referee's in Omaha. Turns out, I made an honest mistake and the check was intercepted by a Kansas alum/booster. Don't worry, skysdad told me it's the last time I'm put in charge of something like that.

LOL. OFC

In the mid 30's to early 40's Duke was a National powerhouse in Football, Boxing, and Golf.

In that span we had the only college football team to ever go unbeaten, untied and unscored upon (1938). We also had several contending years.

We had three individual National Champions in boxing and our team was always at the top.

Golf saw us competing for the Natl Championship most years (highest was runner up).

In addition Baseball was often the State Champions and won several Southern Conference Champions and that was the single greatest era for Duke Baseball in sending players to the MLB.

Basketball under Cameron was not to shabby either finishing near the top in the Southern Conference (top 4) almost every year. (SOCON had 22 teams at its peak, so none too shabby).

In the mid 30's to early 40's Duke was a National powerhouse in Football, Boxing, and Golf.

In that span we had the only college football team to ever go unbeaten, untied and unscored upon (1938). We also had several contending years.

We had three individual National Champions in boxing and our team was always at the top.

Golf saw us competing for the Natl Championship most years (highest was runner up).

In addition Baseball was often the State Champions and won several Southern Conference Champions and that was the single greatest era for Duke Baseball in sending players to the MLB.

Basketball under Cameron was not to shabby either finishing near the top in the Southern Conference (top 4) almost every year. (SOCON had 22 teams at its peak, so none too shabby).

Good stuff Phil. I remember that Iron Dukes fb team very well. Only score given up on that 4th qtr TD pass in the Rose Bowl loss to So. Cal...

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
The last few decades have been special around Durham, and being a long time fan and during my time of being a Devil I would have to say that 1991,1992 had to be one of the peaks during this era. I can still remember the natural high that I was on when Duke beat UNLV and went on to win that first Natty in hoops. 92 was just cream on the cake. What a ride us as fans have enjoyed since Mr Butters gave and stuck it out with Coach K. What a time to be a Coach K fan.

The last few decades have been special around Durham, and being a long time fan and during my time of being a Devil I would have to say that 1991,1992 had to be one of the peaks during this era. I can still remember the natural high that I was on when Duke beat UNLV and went on to win that first Natty in hoops. 92 was just cream on the cake. What a ride us as fans have enjoyed since Mr Butters gave and stuck it out with Coach K. What a time to be a Coach K fan.
88-94 6 FINAL 4'S

Reactions: germantondevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT