ADVERTISEMENT

Battle Update

ClintJackson1

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2004
Midlothian, VA
I had shot a text to Gary Battle earlier in the day and he called me at the perfect time today, over my lunch break. I was able to chat with him for about 15-20 minutes and of course he confirmed the news that was broken earlier in the day. He has cut his list to seven schools.

They are as follows, in no particular order: Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Michigan, UConn and Syracuse.

The real shocker, at least my from point of view, was that Kentucky, who many perceived to be the unofficial frontrunner, was cut.

"Yeah I have received that exact same message from a lot of people today," said Gary Battle. "It's not that Kentucky did anything wrong either. They were great. I just don't think they ever really connected with Tyus. I'm not sure he saw himself going there."

Battle admits that Duke is one of the more aggressive schools still after his son and he wants to visit in April. The date hasn't been ironed out yet, but the plan is in the works. He also is planning a visit to Louisville in the same time frame, somewhere around March or April.

As most know, Battle, the 6-6 wing fro Gill St Bernard (NJ) is a strong academic kid. The family wants to find a place where basketball is top notch while the academics are also elite.

Three of the schools REALLY stand out in both areas, Battle admits that he follows the academic ratings of each of his son's schools. According to the elder Battle, Duke ranks 6th in the nation, Notre Dame 11th and Michigan in the lower 20's.

"All of the schools on his list actually are solid in academics," he added.

Gary says that he and his son aren't as big on the one-and-done phenomenon as some of the other kids in the country. They want him to enjoy the process and take time to be a kid.

"You know it's not what we are about at all," he said. "He is in high school right now and he is enjoying it. When he gets to college, he wants to enjoy that. I'm not saying if the opportunity is there, that we wouldn't take it, but it's not what we are looking for."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News