ADVERTISEMENT

Bagley and Giles

Obviously not in game but you can see a pro in practice. Harry has pro consistency on that shot. I really would love to see that dude turn into even 1/2 of what everyone saw in him. He could be a special player. Marvin would do well to stick by his side for the summer. He’s destined to be an all-star but he has to learn how to prepare like one. It’s just one little shoot around clip, but Harry has clearly been mastering that shot.

Giles is the interesting guy here. I think we all assume Bagley will eventually be a star in the league but Henry is the guy I think most out here in Sacramento are watching. Remember, he has not played a single game since his limited action at Duke. He basically took a vacation last year as the Kings held him out and are looking at the big picture rather than just last year. If he can be anything like what was expected out of him in high school prior to his last injury the Kings will make a major move up in being competitive this year. Obviously not a championship team but perhaps a playoff team. With Bagley you know what you are getting. Giles IMO is the unknown product. Will be interesting to watch them both develop.

Giles is the interesting guy here. I think we all assume Bagley will eventually be a star in the league but Henry is the guy I think most out here in Sacramento are watching. Remember, he has not played a single game since his limited action at Duke. He basically took a vacation last year as the Kings held him out and are looking at the big picture rather than just last year. If he can be anything like what was expected out of him in high school prior to his last injury the Kings will make a major move up in being competitive this year. Obviously not a championship team but perhaps a playoff team. With Bagley you know what you are getting. Giles IMO is the unknown product. Will be interesting to watch them both develop.

Is Henry Giles the new Sean Battier?

If Giles gets (mostly) healthy, and Bags becomes a quality defender, Sac has 2 prototypical NBA bigs. They can play together or alongside that other big man defender out of UK. Sac could afford all three, and Fox is a great transition PG to run PnR with them. Heild has potential as a shooter. Obviously they need a wing, but there is potential for being quality in 3-4 years.

If Giles gets (mostly) healthy, and Bags becomes a quality defender, Sac has 2 prototypical NBA bigs. They can play together or alongside that other big man defender out of UK. Sac could afford all three, and Fox is a great transition PG to run PnR with them. Heild has potential as a shooter. Obviously they need a wing, but there is potential for being quality in 3-4 years.

To say Willie Caulie-Stein plays defense, is like saying Shelden Williams is a three and D wing. Haha.

To say Willie Caulie-Stein plays defense, is like saying Shelden Williams is a three and D wing. Haha.

I don't track the Kings (like the rest of humanity). I thought WCS was at least capable on D. Regardless, even if he's not at least a backup level big, Giles and Bags could easily coexist in today's NBA.

Reactions: sheyduke
I don't track the Kings (like the rest of humanity). I thought WCS was at least capable on D. Regardless, even if he's not at least a backup level big, Giles and Bags could easily coexist in today's NBA.

He has the tools to do it. It would be nice if he did because the guy is a nice athlete. He shoots threes. That’s about it. Haha. But I hear ya, if he showed that capability, the Kings’ frontcourt could have a nice future.

I’m watching it as well Q! That dunk was nasty. I hope Giles does well this season! It would be cool to have both Bags and Giles in the running for Rookie of The Year

Reactions: timo0402
I caught most of the first half and called it a night. Looked like harry was moving great out there.

But but Marvin's weakness is his perimeter shooting

I watched most of it. The Kings have some serious young talent. The things those kids can do are just sick. That said, every time I looked up they were down 3-5 points. Obviously they'll all need to focus on their D so it catches up to their offense. I didn't see the end so I don't know what led to them getting the W.

It was great fun to see Harry play so well. You could tell he was nervous at first but I think he found his rhythm. Plus, he gets his outside shot off fairly quickly, which is something Marvin is going to need to work on (unless Marvin is comfortable only shooting wide open 3's, which might not be a bad strategy his first couple of years in the league).

Reactions: Quavarius
Watching the game last night, it was obvious there’s some real chemistry with those young guys on the Kings. I thought Giles looked great. He has a lot of confidence in that jumper and he’s tenacious on defense (albeit a little reckless).

But but but, Marvin’s defense is weak....... didn’t look weak last night
You you you're right, it was weak at Duke. But he's not at Duke anymore, and he will probably be very good for the Kings.
What works in college doesn't guarantee success in the pros and vice versa.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
But but but, Marvin’s defense is weak....... didn’t look weak last night

I kind of thought it was weak. I saw him lose his man, fail to rotate over timely to help, and even not get back on D a couple of times that contributed to opposing fast breaks. I'm not at all trying to take shots at him. I was VERY excited to see how well he played last night. I think his D will eventually be fine. The kid has great athleticism, a great work ethic, and by all accounts is bright. Of course he's going to learn how to be a good defender. But I just don't think he's there yet.

Reactions: PatrickYates
Actually, it was Defense. He was considered a mediocre 3pt shooter, it was just that Jaren Jackson from MSU was seen as a better 3pt threat, and that certainly looked like the case yesterday.

Naw son, scouts said his perimeter shooting is a weakness and they claimed 28% from 3 in college Mo Bamba would be a better 3-point shooter. No one ever compared Bagley and Jackson, even tho Bagley made 40% from 3 at Duke, but Jackson is clearly the better 3-point shooter. The comparison was between Bagley and Bamba.

Naw son, scouts said his perimeter shooting is a weakness and they claimed 28% from 3 in college Mo Bamba would be a better 3-point shooter. No one ever compared Bagley and Jackson, even tho Bagley made 40% from 3 at Duke, but Jackson is clearly the better 3-point shooter. The comparison was between Bagley and Bamba.

Initially, there was talk about Bagley's deficiency from 3pt land. Mostly that was part of a larger concern about his FT shooting, and how that has proven to be a good indicator of future 3pt proficiency. However, by the week of the draft, most sources were pointing to the fact that his 3pt shooting was OK, while his FT shooting was problematic.
Bamba looked better at FT, hence the belief that he'll be a good shooter down the road. Similarly, Bamba was able to somewhat overhaul his shot since the season ended. This further underlined the talking point about Bamba's future 3pt abilities.
However, I believe talk about Bamba's potential was a smoke screen by some teams in the hope that a Bagley, Jackson, or Doncic would fall to a later team. Or it was a team knowing they'd have to draft Bamba (due to the others being off the board) and trying to sell it to their fans.

Reactions: dakid_0812
I kind of thought it was weak. I saw him lose his man, fail to rotate over timely to help, and even not get back on D a couple of times that contributed to opposing fast breaks. I'm not at all trying to take shots at him. I was VERY excited to see how well he played last night. I think his D will eventually be fine. The kid has great athleticism, a great work ethic, and by all accounts is bright. Of course he's going to learn how to be a good defender. But I just don't think he's there yet.

Agreed. He was late on rotations a few times just in the brief clips I've seen on line.
Bags was fine on D when it came to individual matchups. He wasn't great, but few frosh are, out of the gate. But, once Bags's guy got the ball, or even when he was trying to get it, Bags was serviceable. But he displayed no ability or instincts WRT team or help responsibilities. Lots of times he was late on a rotation leading to a reasonably open perimeter jumper. In HS that wasn't a problem. It was a minor, though statistically relevant, problem at Duke (getting lost on PnR's leading to wide open point blank looks was the real problem while he was in Durham). In the NBA, being late on a rotation, which leads to an open jumper, is devastating. Like at Duke before the Zone switch, teams will switch Bags onto a shooter, then whip the ball around, eventually with it coming to Bags' assignment, who has drifted away from Bags. The end result will be a quality shooter basically being wide open. Good NBA shooters make around 40% of their 3s, but that includes tightly guarded shots as well as end of clock heaves. Point being, that 40% 3pt shooter will make 75%+ on nearly-wide-open looks. He's got to improve his D.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Marvin is going to be the best freshman we’ve ever seen at Duke and the biggest scapegoat for years to come.
Best freshmen maybe ever on the offensive side, but not the best ever overall. It's a stretch to say he's the biggest scapegoat as well.
His defense was way too weak, he was lost when we crossed halfcourt and played defense. .9 a game in blocks and 1.5 assists a game. Carter averaged 2 blocks and 2 assists.
The best overall freshman in years was Okafor. Not only was he dominant down low, he was a very willing passer from the post. The others benefited from his game more than the others benefited from Marvins game.
Marvin should have a very productive pro career though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT