ADVERTISEMENT

Are we quietly sneaking into a K team of old ?

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
I think we run out some serious veteran players next season that people aren't thinking about right now. I mean Jack White? Alex? Ques? Javin? JRob? Blended in with some talented new blood? I know we are star studded this season but next year seems very exciting for me as well. Sure it won't be high flying and death defying like this season, but it's got teeth.

Not just a K team of old, but a team that will be able to withstand the coming changes in college basketball.

In about 2 years, you’re looking at the mid-2000’s recruiting where the top 25 kids will all declare for the draft. The difference is that they’ll be able to pull out after workouts and evaluations (a la the Brandon Roy rule).

K knows what’s coming. This team truly represents the last great OAD class in college basketball. Let’s enjoy the ride whether we agree with the system or not because they are about to be something to behold.

I think we run out some serious veteran players next season that people aren't thinking about right now. I mean Jack White? Alex? Ques? Javin? JRob? Blended in with some talented new blood? I know we are star studded this season but next year seems very exciting for me as well. Sure it won't be high flying and death defying like this season, but it's got teeth.
The key for that team is tre coming back and adding at least one big. If that happens that is at least a top 10 and probably top 5 team

Tre is so key. Can't even imagine a sophomore Jones brother playing for us. Would also love to Bolden have a MP2 like senior year. Really think he had it in him.

Next season is going to be fun, so drastically different and still fun as hell!

Reactions: Skeelow22
I believe he see's the one and done Era of college basketball is coming to an end. I think he is preparing for it not only for himself but for his successor. OFC

Last edited:
YES!

I was hoping someone else caught this. Not only the dynamic of our veterans coming off the bench - pushing the youngsters ; but how many International players do we currently have? I love the foreign guys + american youngsters dynamic. Growth on and off the hardwood.

I believe he see'some the one and done Era of college basketball is coming to an end. I think he is preparing for it not only for himself but for his succesor. OFC
With that being said, who does everyone think will be out next coach?:D

Reactions: pisgah101
Come on Pisgah. You called me the other day and said you thought Jason would be a good choice. Was it not a sign that you're a little off when I laughed while hanging up on you?

Haha! My favorite capel. Met him once too nice guy

I think Capel is an great choice pisgah but let me throw a few more that has been named as a possible replacement. From the Duke family we have former asst. coach Mike Brey to go along with Amaker, Laettner, Hurley, Grant Hill, Jay Bilas, Johnny Dawkins, Battier, Jay Williams, JJ Redick, Wojo, Collins, Nate James, Nolan Smith, Carrawell and Jon Scheyer. From outside the Duke family Brad Stevens and MSU's Tom Izzo . Depending on how long Coach K stays it could be a future recruit that hasn't played for Duke yet. Also several posters from this board could do the job. But I have a dark horse candidate. Jimmy Allen. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
I think Capel is an great choice pisgah but let me throw a few more that has been named as a possible replacement. From the Duke family we have former asst. coach Mike Brey to go along with Amaker, Laettner, Hurley, Grant Hill, Jay Bilas, Johnny Dawkins, Battier, Jay Williams, JJ Redick, Wojo, Collins, Nate James, Nolan Smith, Carrawell and Jon Scheyer. From outside the Duke family Brad Stevens and MSU's Tom Izzo . Depending on how long Coach K stays it could be a future recruit that hasn't played for Duke yet. Also several posters from this board could do the job. But I have a dark horse candidate. Jimmy Allen. OFC

Jimmy Allen has the army connection sky you’re probably barking up the right tree there

Reactions: skysdad

Plus, there doesn't look to be any super teams next year. Duke, UNC, and UVA get worse next year. Cuse does as well. FSU and VT could hold steady or take small steps forward, but I'm not sure that improvement would put them above that many more teams than this year. UK figures to tread water, Nova has some graduation issues, and KU will be decimated by early entry this year.
Duke won't be as good as this year with next year's group, obviously, even without Tre (whom I think will be a OAD). But there will be no juggernauts next year, and Duke would be a dangerous team come March. Probably a top 3 seed in our bracket, and possibly top 2. We'd have a great chance to be in the FF, and anything can happen then.
Next year, while we won't be as dynamic and athletic as this year, will feature a team of superb shooters. We could shoot 40+ percent from 3 on a high n umber of takes. I think Carey will look at Duke and see a team that can run out 4 deadly shooters around him, freeing him up to work in the low post. We wouldn't be a title favorite, but no number 1 will want us in their bracket.

Reactions: Showenuff
Bobby Hurley and his unranked Huskies knocking off the Orange last night!

Yeah. Bobby is still st ASU, right? Think the announcer said Bobby. Either that or it was getting late and I'm getting old.

Tre is so key. Can't even imagine a sophomore Jones brother playing for us. Would also love to Bolden have a MP2 like senior year. Really think he had it in him.

I am simply accepting Tre not returning. If he does, I’ll be over the moon. But I accept he won’t.

I am simply accepting Tre not returning. If he does, I’ll be over the moon. But I accept he won’t.

I can’t see him being taken in this NBA without a jump shot. He hasn’t even proven he can hit layups in traffic. Obviously I think those two aspects can improve as the year goes on, but those are huge keys in being drafted.

Look at Duval. He had elite length and athleticism and had nice workouts. He had decent tape of him being able to pass, but his shooting has him undrafted and stuck in the Bucks farm system. People in his camp try to play the “Duke didn’t allow him to showcase” game all they want, but scouts know what a guy like him can and can’t do. And what he can’t do is shoot. 10 years ago, he might have been picked higher than Carter. Now, he’s out.

With Tre you can even look at Tyus. Tyus showed he had a shot in college, was drafted high, and is still toiling on Minnesota’s bench.

Tre is a better defender than both, a better facilitator than Duval and a better athlete than Tyus, but he can’t shoot yet. I think he’ll be at Duke until he can prove he can.

How much/how does Tyus' early NBA experience effect Tre? Does Tyus think a second year of Duke would have been another "best year of my life" and better than going to the NBA right away or is he telling Tre that no matter how great his year at Duke was, a lousy year in the NBA is still better?

How much/how does Tyus' early NBA experience effect Tre? Does Tyus think a second year of Duke would have been another "best year of my life" and better than going to the NBA right away or is he telling Tre that no matter how great his year at Duke was, a lousy year in the NBA is still better?

I’m sure he has some insight. I would think his message would be don’t rush. The money will be there but you have to set up for longevity. If Tre isn’t in a good place on draft boards, I bet Tyus will help to advise him on top of what he’ll hear from the staff and others. Plus, Debbie is so savvy with this stuff. She’ll be as good a resource as Tyus.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT