ADVERTISEMENT

Any Updates on the Team?

dbav

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2014
Just curious if there is any update from pick up games or workouts. Interested to hear how these guys are doing.

I have a few "connections" and keep my ear to the ground for any tidbits. Few things:

- The overall "vibe" the coaches a people in the know are getting about this team seems to fit with everything we hoped. People are astonished by the talent.

- The leaders (Matt, Amile & Grayson) all seem to to be growing in the role, keeping the team focused and working hard.

- Javin has been a surprise. His physical skills are 2nd to none on the team, and people are RAVING about his work ethic. Keep an eye on him for sure. Still raw, obviously.

- Also hearing Bolden is more polished than they expected. Don't be surprised if his numbers aren't huge and he is still a lottery pick.

- The team loves Harry. As a person not just as a player. He will absolutely be a fan favorite.

There is more if you guys want me to keep sharing.

I have a few "connections" and keep my ear to the ground for any tidbits. Few things:

- The overall "vibe" the coaches a people in the know are getting about this team seems to fit with everything we hoped. People are astonished by the talent.

- The leaders (Matt, Amile & Grayson) all seem to to be growing in the role, keeping the team focused and working hard.

- Javin has been a surprise. His physical skills are 2nd to none on the team, and people are RAVING about his work ethic. Keep an eye on him for sure. Still raw, obviously.

- Also hearing Bolden is more polished than they expected. Don't be surprised if his numbers aren't huge and he is still a lottery pick.

- The team loves Harry. As a person not just as a player. He will absolutely be a fan favorite.

Thank you and please give any info you have.Desperate to hear anything at this time of year

If you can, I'm interested in hearing how Jeter has looked. He and DeLaurier are the 2 that intrigue me the most going into the season. I really want Jeter to succeed.

Reactions: hart2chesson
If you can, I'm interested in hearing how Jeter has looked. He and DeLaurier are the 2 that intrigue me the most going into the season. I really want Jeter to succeed.

Me too dbav. I got caught up in being critical of Chase last and felt bad about it. Really hope he has a great season this year. I hope all our guys have great seasons but we are so deep that some will have to await their time to come. The one guy I hope that really tears it up and gets some post season awards is Amile. He's really been dedicated to the program and has gotten better each year. If there is a definition of a Duke player who accepted his role on the team and did what was ask of him it may be Amile. This might me a good thread. I remember his recruitment and his was a late commit. I have a NCSU friend who 1 day before he committed to Duke post on face book " we've got Amile." Loved it when Amile came to us. . Now his time at Duke is about to come to an end and it would be nice to see him get another ring and some honors. OFC

Me too dbav. I got caught up in being critical of Chase last and felt bad about it. Really hope he has a great season this year.

I felt like the heart, effort, and talent were all there, it just wasn't quite clicking on the court. He had some really great stretches at the end there. I love having players like him. I hope he is more comfortable from the start this year.

I have heard positive things about Chase. As you guys may know confidence was a huge issue for him last year. Expect him to be improved over last year.

However, from all accounts he is the 4th best big out of the 4 that will play a lot. Look for the coaching staff to mix and match the 4 of them (Giles, Amile, Ques, & Jeter) in the early games to find chemistry. I just see Jeter getting the short end of the stick minutes-wise.

I still think Javin is too raw for major minutes, but I do also think he will make plays in his limited time that make you go "wow".

Reactions: dbav
Me too dbav. I got caught up in being critical of Chase last and felt bad about it. Really hope he has a great season this year. I hope all our guys have great seasons but we are so deep that some will have to await their time to come. The one guy I hope that really tears it up and gets some post season awards is Amile. He's really been dedicated to the program and has gotten better each year. If there is a definition of a Duke player who accepted his role on the team and did what was ask of him it may be Amile. This might me a good thread. I remember his recruitment and his was a late commit. I have a NCSU friend who 1 day before he committed to Duke post on face book " we've got Amile." Loved it when Amile came to us. . Now his time at Duke is about to come to an end and it would be nice to see him get another ring and some honors. OFC

Amile is going to shock some people with his offensive game development. He has really put work in on his mid range jumper and ball handling.

I don't think he will be the main threat by any means, but he will make teams respect his jumper. That combined with his deft touch around the rim will make him formidable .

Reactions: skysdad
Is it too much to ask for info on Jack too? Haha.

I don't expect a lot from him this year, but I'd like to hear how he's doing.

Is it too much to ask for info on Jack too? Haha.

I don't expect a lot from him this year, but I'd like to hear how he's doing.

He didn't get to campus until the start of fall semester, I don't have too much info.

From what I have heard he has acclimated pretty well. He has the most difficult transition of any player on the team both on and off the court, but it seems he is fitting right in. I have also heard he will likely redshirt.

Because he missed summer I haven't heard much about his game, but from his mixtapes he is an above average athlete who can shoot. His impact will be in 2+ years if everything goes according to plan.

Reactions: dbav
I still think Javin is too raw for major minutes, but I do also think he will make plays in his limited time that make you go "wow".
Yeah, I'm glad you added that to the earlier post. It kind of struck me like a frequent preseason report on how some guy who isn't projected to be a major contributor looks great: Zoubek, Boateng, EWill... I think there must be an emphasis on giving the unknown guys max chance to shine.

Yeah, I'm glad you added that to the earlier post. It kind of struck me like a frequent preseason report on how some guy who isn't projected to be a major contributor looks great: Zoubek, Boateng, EWill... I think there must be an emphasis on giving the unknown guys max chance to shine.

Yeah I agree. I remember hearing things about Alex Murphy and Olek Czyz and being so excited about theit leap forward the upcoming year.

I think the difference between the two the first thing out of anyone's mouth about Javin is that he is the hardest worker on the team. I don't think anyone ever said that about Murphy.

I think Vrank's role right now is to be a big body in practice. That is no slight against him, that is just the ridiculous depth Duke has in front of him.

He reminds me a LOT of Zoubek. And I don't mean just because he is a 7 foot white dude. Their games are very similar. Neither is extremely quick but they are both really big guys. If he can learn to do what Z did his senior year that is major plus for Duke fans.

I think Vrank will continue to get better and we will see more of him on the court his Junior and Senior year.

The players who will play some role are
Amile
Grayson
Matt
Chase
Luke
Harry
Jayson
Frank
Marques
With Javin getting spot minutes

So my question is, does K keep a 9 player rotation going with 4 bigs and 5 players manning the 1-3?

Thanks for the info fuys. Great to hear this stuff.

I hope we are playing well enough this season that we keep up the 10 man rotation throughout.

The players who will play some role are
Amile
Grayson
Matt
Chase
Luke
Harry
Jayson
Frank
Marques
With Javin getting spot minutes

So my question is, does K keep a 9 player rotation going with 4 bigs and 5 players manning the 1-3?

I think this is spot on. History tells the only time K differs from an 8 man rotation is when he has 4 capable bigs, a la 2010 when he rotated the plumlees with Z and Lance.

I think we see something similar. I also think K wants Harry and Amile to start together, however I think it is gonna have to be one of those two paired with one of the other two. Chase and Ques shouldn't be on the court together often.

I completely understand Amile & Harry together but playing them with a true 5 would one keep them from playing against guys in the post who will definitely have more girth and would allow them to step out and use their face up games. I know they are going to play together and it's exciting but I guess it's wishful thinking that the rotation would be Chase or Marq with Amile or Harry.

In 2010, 3 guys had the size, strength and weight to handle the 5. Zoubs, Miles and Mason were all 6-10 or better and at least 240 and any could handle the 5 physically.

Is Harry ready to play full contact yet? I can't wait to see him play but I'm worried about his hurrying back too soon.

Javin physical skills? I always thought he was one of those undersized PF(6-8-205)
He is now listed as 6'10 and 220 on the Duke site, and pictures suggest that measurement is accurate. I'm hoping he has a Scottie Pippen-like career arc (and game). Slow freshman year, then domination and desire for the next 20 seasons.

Reactions: dukedevilz

After watching interviews with Harry, it doesn't surprise me one bit that he's loved by the team. He seems like a genuinely good kid.

Is Harry ready to play full contact yet? I can't wait to see him play but I'm worried about his hurrying back too soon.

No. May not participate in CTC at the moment. Duke orthopedists want him limited until November. He has an evaluation coming in the next week.

@wswartz34 Great stuff and thanks for posting.

The overarching plan is to have 9 capable by March. Gray, Jay, Harry, Amile, Matt, Frank, Luke, Marques, and Chase. Others will play in blowouts or as message subs as they either don't fit a role yet or have the same role as a better player (Javin/Amile, Tony/Marques).

Jack White does not want to redshirt and has still declined the option. Same with Tony. Both feel they can at least play overseas after 4 a la Marty Pocius. Obviously this could change but I doubt it.

The game changer for the basketball program the past decade has been Coah Will. Summer workouts have been crucial for these Duke teams and he is a master at program design. Took a class put on by Sonny Falcone and he even said the beast on his staff was William Stephens. Great guy too.

No. May not participate in CTC at the moment. Duke orthopedists want him limited until November. He has an evaluation coming in the next week.

@wswartz34 Great stuff and thanks for posting.

The overarching plan is to have 9 capable by March. Gray, Jay, Harry, Amile, Matt, Frank, Luke, Marques, and Chase. Others will play in blowouts or as message subs as they either don't fit a role yet or have the same role as a better player (Javin/Amile, Tony/Marques).

Jack White does not want to redshirt and has still declined the option. Same with Tony. Both feel they can at least play overseas after 4 a la Marty Pocius. Obviously this could change but I doubt it.

The game changer for the basketball program the past decade has been Coah Will. Summer workouts have been crucial for these Duke teams and he is a master at program design. Took a class put on by Sonny Falcone and he even said the beast on his staff was William Stephens. Great guy too.

Thanks @dukiehokie, glad to impart.

Also did not know that about Jack. Could not agree more about Coach Will.

I think K and the staff have done a great job embracing advances in medicine and technology, using them to the team's advantage.

Reactions: dukehokie
I think this is spot on. History tells the only time K differs from an 8 man rotation is when he has 4 capable bigs, a la 2010 when he rotated the plumlees with Z and Lance.

I think we see something similar. I also think K wants Harry and Amile to start together, however I think it is gonna have to be one of those two paired with one of the other two. Chase and Ques shouldn't be on the court together often.
2010 is the best recent example of a 4-man post rotation that gives us a shot at an overall 9-player rotation... and yet backcourt depth meant we still only went with 8 that year.

I agree that Chase and Marques don't seem well suited to be on the court at the same time. I don't think that will have a frequent or significant effect on how Amile and Harry play together. Of the projected top 9, one of Chase or Marques will be that 9th guy, and unless we're in a situation where a mismatch is going against us with both Amile and Harry in, they will eat up some of the time at the 5. I also think that if our backcourt players prove more viable, we'll see Jayson at the 4 some, pushing Amile and Harry to the 5 more often, further eating into minutes for one or both of Chase and Marques.

The big thing to remember is that this lineup will change multiple times. Hopefully that will be because of evolution and not injury or dissent.

Exactly. This is the way the GOAT has always done it when he had the talent to do it with. There is a reason why he has won 1,000 plus games and 5 national championships among the other accolades including ACC reg. season and tourney championships, final fours and the our national teams success. All we are qualified for is to give our opinions and that' about it. OFC

I love hearing the reports that these guys are gelling together quickly. With all the OAD talk, it reinforces the idea that K is still recruiting the same kids he did years ago...kids that buy into the team concept and aren't simply auditioning for the NBA.

Can't wait for the season to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT