ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting Intel?

jnasti I understand your point, but at the same time you cannot ignore unc’s last 2 NIT appearances (2010 & 2020) in the last 11 years and their early exits from the tournament in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019. I will take Duke’s post season success since embracing the one and done model over unc’s and Michigan states post season success every single time)
Fair points. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. I was just responding to a comment that argued that you can’t keep top 50 recruits in your program longer than a year or two. The fact is you can, it’s just tough when you bring in 4-5 OADs every year. With that said, there’s always downside to each decision, hence no right or wrong answer. I just enjoy those teams like 2010 where they grew into that championship team together.

also, I’ll never forget those UNC NIT teams. #neverforget

Fair points. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. I was just responding to a comment that argued that you can’t keep top 50 recruits in your program longer than a year or two. The fact is you can, it’s just tough when you bring in 4-5 OADs every year. With that said, there’s always downside to each decision, hence no right or wrong answer. I just enjoy those teams like 2010 where they grew into that championship team together.

also, I’ll never forget those UNC NIT teams. #neverforget

Singler and Smith are my two favorite Blue Devils of All-Time. Imo, them along with Scheyer played such huge roles in bringing Duke back to the National Championship picture for the first time since Redick and Williams left.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Singler and Smith are my two favorite Blue Devils of All-Time. Imo, them along with Scheyer played such huge roles in bringing Duke back to the National Championship picture for the first time since Redick and Williams left.

I stiil see the image of Singler going down the court with that grin with a little blood on his lip. Didn't mind getting physical. OFC

Singler is a perfect example of a guy being skinny but still being tough. A lot of guys bulk up and look the part but still don't like mixing it up inside. Singler and Battier are my 2 favorite Duke players ever. A top 5 high school guy who stayed 4 years. We'll never see it again.

A lot of moving pieces but 21-22 could look something like this.

Roach/Griffin/Houstan/Baldwin/Williams
Keels/Joey/Brakefield/Coleman

Obviously could use another backup Goldwire type PG and maybe another big. Some crazy talent-Duke could have a really special class.

Hope we get to see at least 2/3 of Pat/Keels/Houstan suit up for Duke! All 3 of those guys + AJ are really good shooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Getting Williams, Coleman, Brakefield and Roach back for a second year would be a really nice core group. Throw in a senior Baker. (you know how I love experience)

Reactions: dbav
Probably the wrong thread for this, but Chris Smith is returning to UCLA, meaning they return all 5 starters from a team that was pretty hot at the end of last season.

Keels would be great. Mainly because I'm starting to think Steward is gonna be OAD. Baldwin, Griffin, Houstan, and Keels....MY GOD.
Combined with hopefully a sophomore Roach at PG and some other returning pieces.

I'd certainly take both Houstan and Keels but that might be a stretch, assuming we get Baldwin.

Keels would be great. Mainly because I'm starting to think Steward is gonna be OAD. Baldwin, Griffin, Houstan, and Keels....MY GOD.
Combined with hopefully a sophomore Roach at PG and some other returning pieces.
Not saying you’re wrong at all (nor would I be surprised if he left after one year) but how is a, barely top 25 recruit, who is 6’3 shooting guard OAD??

Steward is really skinny too. I mean look at him next to Trent. He could be OAD, but I'd put it at 50 percent. He's good no doubt, but we all tend to look at recruits as glass half full before they play. Imagine if Bolden was in this class. We'd all be penciling him in to start and be OAD.

Last edited:
Cassius Stanley was taller, more athletic, and made plays at both end. That made him a likely second rounder. Not seeing Steward doing as well unless he really blows up and gets major minutes over someone else.

Not saying you’re wrong at all (nor would I be surprised if he left after one year) but how is a, barely top 25 recruit, who is 6’3 shooting guard OAD??
Logically you are right but kids are leaving today without having a first round grade..In their minds it is insulting to return for a second year

Reactions: DukeNation12
What he does best, shoot three’s and score is easier to translate to the NBA level than just about anything else. He isn’t some project with all the physical tools but none of the basketball tools, Steward knows how to play and get buckets is what he does.

He’s also the only “true” SG on the roster so he’s gonna have a lot of opportunities to play big minutes and put up numbers.

^^very true...if DJ can show he can really shoot it he’ll most likely be a one and done.

He’s very different than Cash, as DJ is only about 6’3 170. However while also being able to really shoot it. His handles and passing has really improved. He’s more of a true SG but he has the ability to play some PG...making him a really good Combo. However he isn’t a great athlete.

If Frank Jackson showed enough I think DJ has more than a 50/50 chance to go pro after 1 year as well.

Landing Keels could very well depend on DJs season...I’ll take either the following year!

Reactions: jwill133
Thanks for the info. I've never seen a high school football game in Oregon. I guess it was Kyle Singler who was a good QB. They probably pass a lot, and he could see over the line

From Corey Evans....some Good stuff here!

“If I am a Duke fan, I am monitoring Trevor Keels, Pat Baldwin, Caleb Houstan, Paolo Banchero, and Charles Bediako. That does not mean the Blue Devils are going to land all those players, but they should feel good about where they sit with the tremendous group…Expect at least three of the five to commit to Duke and join AJ Griffin on the Durham campus in a year.”

More....

“Keels has often been connected to Duke and Villanova, the two likeliest landing spots for him. Baldwin is in a similar boat, but his father’s program, Milwaukee, will be difficult to beat, as will Kentucky and North Carolina. If it doesn’t get Baldwin, then potentially Duke makes Houstan an even greater priority. I’d say the Blue Devils’ last successful Canadian transplant, RJ Barrett, worked out well in Durham…that could help them when it comes time for Houstan to commit.”

How does this news not get its own headline? I remember when Duke had no chance for Banchero. He was laughing because Duke lost to Stephen F. Austin! Coach K and his staff turned this around.

My understanding is Banchero is hugely talented, very athletic and versatile. Assuming any of our freshmen come back the following year, this has the makings of a great great team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT