ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting Intel?

Complaining about 2 titles in 10 years is kinda ridiculous. Complaining about all the success and runs we’ve made. All the talent laughable. Could things have ended a little better? Sure. Should they? Absolutely. But nobody else has it better.

Spoileddddddddddd.
Wasn’t complaining. Just stating a fact. I wasn’t counting 2010 because that would be 11 seasons ago plus that team was loaded with juniors and seniors. Not one OAD. I just enjoyed those teams of the 90s/00s a lot more because they stuck around and developed.

Wasn’t complaining. Just stating a fact. I wasn’t counting 2010 because that would be 11 seasons ago plus that team was loaded with juniors and seniors. Not one OAD. I just enjoyed those teams of the 90s/00s a lot more because they stuck around and developed.
That’s great and I think everyone loves those teams but if you think you are gonna get a top 50 recruit to stay for 4 years in the current climate of college basketball than I want what you got.
We would be lucky to keep Hill, Battier, Williams, etc. around for more than 1 year these days.

Unfortunately, it’s never gonna be the same. I’d rather take my chances winning it all with a bunch of superstars. 2015 was a lot of fun.

I think we've had some bad luck lately too as other than Grayson and Tre everyone who could have left did. Even Bolden. It was nice to get Hurt and Moore back, but those guys weren't getting drafted.

I think we've had some bad luck lately too as other than Grayson and Tre everyone who could have left did. Even Bolden. It was nice to get Hurt and Moore back, but those guys weren't getting drafted.
Well sure, that’s why i hate the blanket statement he made. If you slice it from 2002-2012 we only won one! So to make it seem like it’s the OAD that was the problem is at BEST, selective memory. But to your point, each season has its own identity and its own set of issues. It’s not as easy to say, oh it has to be the OAD that is the issue!

That’s great and I think everyone loves those teams but if you think you are gonna get a top 50 recruit to stay for 4 years in the current climate of college basketball than I want what you got.
We would be lucky to keep Hill, Battier, Williams, etc. around for more than 1 year these days.

Unfortunately, it’s never gonna be the same. I’d rather take my chances winning it all with a bunch of superstars. 2015 was a lot of fun.
Right it’s just not that easy/black and white.

Reactions: jwill133
But it's not solely about winning for some. Some people want to watch players throughout their career. I don't want 5 Kumingas.
Absolutely, and again, two different conversations. Which again, i keep harping on, blanket statements drive me nuts.

five of them probably isn’t the best recipe. Having said that. Now, players are going when they shouldn’t, now players are transferring more than ever. Now it’s instant gratification and nothing else matters, no reasoning matters.

Reactions: christophero

Michigan St and even UNC seem to have plenty of four star guys stick around for 3-4 years. Not saying they have better programs but I’d rather recruit guys who want to stay and develop and sprinkle in a OAD to help put us over the top. Again, I’m not complaining about our 2015 national title, just simply stating my opinion that having turn over year after year isn’t as enjoyable for me as it is to watch a core group of guys develop into title contenders.

Michigan St and even UNC seem to have plenty of four star guys stick around for 3-4 years. Not saying they have better programs but I’d rather recruit guys who want to stay and develop and sprinkle in a OAD to help put us over the top. Again, I’m not complaining about our 2015 national title, just simply stating my opinion that having turn over year after year isn’t as enjoyable for me as it is to watch a core group of guys develop into title contenders.
Fair i think that you’re making a different type of argument right? Like you’re saying it’s more satisfying to have guys stick around for The ride? Instead of just shooting for the moon each year? Is that your stance? Not that it necessarily works better one way or the other?

Fair i think that you’re making a different type of argument right? Like you’re saying it’s more satisfying to have guys stick around for The ride? Instead of just shooting for the moon each year? Is that your stance? Not that it necessarily works better one way or the other?
Yeah. Absolutely more satisfying/enjoyable for me to see kids dedicated to the program who are 2-3-4 years in win a title. I also think it’s really tough for any team to win a title with just freshman. There’s a reason Nova and UNC were so consistently good for stretches there. They were stacked with upperclassmen. Even our 2015 team had Quinn, Amile, Marshall. The state of college basketball is what it is. Just gotta roll with the punches. I’m looking forward to the NBA ending their stupid 19 year old rule and just let these kids get paid if that’s what they want and hopefully making those who choose to come to college stay 2-3 years.

Reactions: wcu1113
Well sure, that’s why i hate the blanket statement he made. If you slice it from 2002-2012 we only won one! So to make it seem like it’s the OAD that was the problem is at BEST, selective memory. But to your point, each season has its own identity and its own set of issues. It’s not as easy to say, oh it has to be the OAD that is the issue!
It was just a few years ago that K was was slipping because he could not bring in top ten talent anymore.Damned if you do damned if you don’t

Since Caleb Houstan has officially reclassified, what are our chances to get him?
OFC

Landing Baldwin/Houston/Griffin would be the best overall 3 headed monster talent wise Duke has ever brought in a class and I’ll stand by that if it happens.

All 3 are crazy skilled with great size and shot over 40% from 3.

Give me those 3 as Duke starting 2-4 the following season and Duke is already one of the best teams in the country.

Seems like the staff has been swinging and missing a lot lately....but trust K and those guys!! Duke will be just fine.

If they can land both Baldwin and Houston that’s essential the 2 best shooters in each class coming in together.

Reactions: JohnstonCDevil
As much as I agree to those three, I'm not sure which would function as the 2? I guy like Harrison Ingram would be my pick to add with those three but that would mean Ingram would be the PG

Landing Baldwin/Houston/Griffin would be the best overall 3 headed monster talent wise Duke has ever brought in a class and I’ll stand by that if it happens.

All 3 are crazy skilled with great size and shot over 40% from 3.

Give me those 3 as Duke starting 2-4 the following season and Duke is already one of the best teams in the country.

Seems like the staff has been swinging and missing a lot lately....but trust K and those guys!! Duke will be just fine.

If they can land both Baldwin and Houston that’s essential the 2 best shooters in each class coming in together.
. Sounds like we are in good position for it to happen. Also we could have a lot of guys back.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Houstan is definitely a stud. Baldwin and Griffin we already know about.

If we could get these three... holy shit.

I like our position

Tim, I don't want to ask you to reveal too much, but it seems like we've known about this for quite awhile and it would explain why we conceded Christie to Michigan State, inasmuch as that may be true.

Am I off base here?

Tim, I don't want to ask you to reveal too much, but it seems like we've known about this for quite awhile and it would explain why we conceded Christie to Michigan State, inasmuch as that may be true.

Am I off base here?
I think you’re right on, i think the christie thing was distancing over the last Few months. I don’t think that happens if they don’t have other options that they may like more and Houstan fits the bill.

UNC offered Jabari Smith Jr. He is in the top 10, but doesn't appear to have any offers from blue bloods other than UNC. Is there an issue preventing offers from Kentucky, Kansas, etc?

This year's class provides what I've been asking for; multi year guys (for the most part). They may take longer to develop but that is okay. The only problem is they may not see themselves that way. We will have to see. Not having seen them play in college my guess is the guards are too small and Williams is too raw. But the general perception is most will be here at least 2 years and that may be scaring recruits away.

Last edited:
Reactions: jnastasi
This year's class provides what I've been asking for; multi year guys (for the most part). They may take longer to develop but that is okay. The only problem is they may not see themselves that way. We will have to see. Not having seen them play in college my guess is the guards are too small and Williams is too raw. But the general perception is most will be here at least 2 years and that may be scaring recruits away.
Agree with the sentiment but imo all of them see themselves as one and done regardless of how anyone sees them

Reactions: christophero
I am really okay with 1 or 2 guys coming in 2020 and, fingers crossed, not losing as many as one and done guys as in the past.

I just hope K keeps coaching for another 4-5 years and gets one more title. I think if we can keep some of these guys for a couple of years, we'll have a better shot than 2-3 great one-and-done guys whom we wind up relying upon too much.

I am really okay with 1 or 2 guys coming in 2020 and, fingers crossed, not losing as many as one and done guys as in the past.

I just hope K keeps coaching for another 4-5 years and gets one more title. I think if we can keep some of these guys for a couple of years, we'll have a better shot than 2-3 great one-and-done guys whom we wind up relying upon too much.

Recruiting is gonna change big time. I believe Coach K and staff are adapting to it. OFC

Yeah. Absolutely more satisfying/enjoyable for me to see kids dedicated to the program who are 2-3-4 years in win a title. I also think it’s really tough for any team to win a title with just freshman. There’s a reason Nova and UNC were so consistently good for stretches there. They were stacked with upperclassmen. Even our 2015 team had Quinn, Amile, Marshall. The state of college basketball is what it is. Just gotta roll with the punches. I’m looking forward to the NBA ending their stupid 19 year old rule and just let these kids get paid if that’s what they want and hopefully making those who choose to come to college stay 2-3 years.

jnasti I understand your point, but at the same time you cannot ignore unc’s last 2 NIT appearances (2010 & 2020) in the last 11 years and their early exits from the tournament in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019. I will take Duke’s post season success since embracing the one and done model over unc’s and Michigan states post season success every single time)

jnasti I understand your point, but at the same time you cannot ignore unc’s last 2 NIT appearances (2010 & 2020) in the last 11 years and their early exits from the tournament in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019. I will take Duke’s post season success since embracing the one and done model over unc’s and Michigan states post season success every single time)
Not to mention their horrific 2020 campaign where they had a losing record.

From 2010-2020, Duke is 8-1 against MSU, we absolutely own them. Of course the 1 loss really stings, but we did beat them in the tournament twice over this span. MSU's 10 year run is laughable compared to Duke's (and yes, I feel like Duke left A LOT on the table over the 10 years, could have had 2 more titles.)

From 2010-2020, Duke is 17-9 against UNC (could be 19-7 had Zion not blown out his shoe which cost us 2 games against them).
UNC had 3 teams capable of winning the title in this span (2017 won, 2016 thank god Kris Jenkins, and 2012 they could compete with UK had Kendall Marshall not gotten hurt.) They also had 2 TERRIBLE teams.

Duke had 6 teams capable of winning the title (2010 and 2015, 2011 had Kyrie never gotten hurt, 2013 had we just avoided Louisville, and then 2018/2019 had the ball bounced our way at the end of those games.)

I think it's more than losing by just one bounce though. We let these teams hang around and our youth showed at bad times. If you watch the Baylor game in 2010 we made plays when it counted. Ditto the title game, although that shot could have gone in, although the odds were slim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT