ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting Intel?

df64

Cameron Crazy
Feb 2, 2006
Looks like we are in good with Patrick Baldwin and Max Christie, who are pretty tight with each other. Also looks like we are in good with Kennedy Chandler, who is tight with Banchero. Tyus/Okafor part 2? Smart point guard gets his best big buddy to follow him to Durham?!
Kind of surprised we don't have any guards in the 25 to 50 range.

Reactions: dbav
Looks like we are in good with Patrick Baldwin and Max Christie, who are pretty tight with each other. Also looks like we are in good with Kennedy Chandler, who is tight with Banchero. Tyus/Okafor part 2? Smart point guard gets his best big buddy to follow him to Durham?!
Kind of surprised we don't have any guards in the 25 to 50 range.

Still early, but it appears Tennessee is in front with Chandler, which is fine, but that’s IF we get a sophomore Roach. Hope that isn’t true about Christie though.

Reactions: dbav

Still early, but it appears Tennessee is in front with Chandler, which is fine, but that’s IF we get a sophomore Roach. Hope that isn’t true about Christie though.

I'm skeptical about Tennessee and Chandler. That's based off some "anonymous" source talking about what a "phenomenal" job they're doing recruiting him.

We've still got a couple of major insiders picking Chandler to Duke.

Max Christie seems to be leaning away from Duke. I’ve seen two interviews where in one he mentioned the schools that were recruiting him hardest lately and he didn’t even mention Duke and then the other was the quote above in the tweet. Seems like Duke isn’t recruiting him as hard for some reason. Maybe Keels? Seems like he’s a UVA lean tho so idk.

Baldwin is the prize of the class. Christie would be a great get too. Those are the only two really want.

Banchero is the prize of the class. I want him more than anyone else.

Reactions: The_Wolf
-Apparently Kennedy Chandler wants Duke but the staff is sitting tight, seems like they think we will have a sophomore Roach at PG.
-The only team beating out Duke for Baldwin would be a G-League team.
-I still think Duke is a favorite for Christie, there are other sources that still say this. Christie could also be welcome to Duke not contacting him everyday, no one really knows.
-Banchero would be absolutely amazing and the best part is UK thinks they already have him locked up.

I'm still under the belief that the 2022 Duke team is gonna be insane. Think we get back most of our freshman and land a couple other monsters to go along with Griffin.

That's interesting about the staff thinking Roach will be here for 2 years. I would've thought that given his injury he'd try to get to the league as quickly as possible.

If we could get Banchero to go along with hopefully Baldwin, Christie and obviously Griffin... that would be obscene.

Seems to me that Chandler might be key to getting Banchero.
Steward and Roach would be a great start to a backcourt if they are both expected to return.
Baldwin is friends with Christie.
Banchero is friends with Chandler.
If Roach and Steward return, we only need one. If one of Roach/Steward leave, we need both. Sounds like both want to make their college choice before their HS season. Way before we know who is coming back.

-Apparently Kennedy Chandler wants Duke but the staff is sitting tight, seems like they think we will have a sophomore Roach at PG.
-The only team beating out Duke for Baldwin would be a G-League team.
-I still think Duke is a favorite for Christie, there are other sources that still say this. Christie could also be welcome to Duke not contacting him everyday, no one really knows.
-Banchero would be absolutely amazing and the best part is UK thinks they already have him locked up.

I'm still under the belief that the 2022 Duke team is gonna be insane. Think we get back most of our freshman and land a couple other monsters to go along with Griffin.
The problem is if we don’t get Chandler then we don’t get Banchero.

I think one thing we've learned over the last decade is to not expect a top 20 guy back a second year. It happens, but much more often it doesn't.

tp-thats what worries me about the scenario I just posted. Would really stink not to pursue Chanler and also lose any chance at Banchero and then have one of Roach Steward leave.
Jwill, I read an interesting article discussing Dukes minimalistic approach with big time recruits. Think it was Christie or Chandler alluding to minimal contact being fine, even a positive. That it was kind of nice not being hounded and that Duke doesnt need to.

Reactions: christophero
For the 2022 team
3. Griffin/ baker
4. Pat/brakefield
5. Mark/Coleman

I think that's probably your 3-5 spots now the guards are tricky. I expect Moore and goldwire of course are gone. Chandler wants to decide by fall signing so that's not good.

1. Roach/ grad transfer?/ 4 star recruit?
2. Steward/keels?/Christie?

Imo duke lands Baldwin and 1 of Christie/keels...and then probably a Jordan goldwire type...so a nice 4 man class

It's so hard to tell who will come back until we see them play. My guess is Hurt, Moore, Johnson and one of the guards leave. Brakefield, Coleman and Williams could be a special frontcourt by year two if they stick around. If both guards return thats a real good starting 5.

Reactions: JCColsCane
Yea very hard to tell imo, I think moore, hurt, Johnson, goldwire and tape are gone for sure. Then guys like jaemyn, mark, dj and Jeremy could be 1 and done. I've heard from multiple people like corey Evan's say mark williams has gotten so good he could be 1 and done and of course Jeremy and dj are 5 star guards. I say jaemyn because he turns 20 in December so hes kinda in that Cassius stanley boat. Hoping we can keep atleast 5 guys for the 2022 team but it's a total guessing game for now.

Of all these top recruits which ones has hof coach roy williams already turned or is considering to turn down? Those are the ones we really need to go after. OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
Mark William's a 1 and done? Wow. Could be great for next year, but could really hurt us the next 2 years.

You know it above quoting Evans re Mark William's having gotten so good he could be 1 and done.

William's length/athleticism has to be intruiging to scouts so if he improves a lot throughout the season he will generate interest. Would love to have him 2 or 3 years.

Really fans just need to assume these kids are one and done until you find out other wise. Every single year people talk on here how they would love to have guys for 2-3 years. We all would. But the truth is, if they have a decent year, they’re gone.

You should want for them to have a huge year. Because if all of these guys have huge years, so does Duke as a team. Pretty simple to understand really.

The NBA needs to change its rules. They’re really messing up college basketball.
The NBA has done nothing to show that they care about college basketball. Quite the opposite. I doubt they start now.

I just don't see Banchero at Duke. I recall he had some snarky things to say when Duke lost a game this past season, and his comments about wanting the ball in his hands don't sound like a guy who wants to share the ball with others ranked as high as he is. I know he's talented but Duke needs more cohesiveness not necessarily every top 10 guy who wants to spend a few months in Durham.

A bit disconcerting, to say the least about Banchero. I don't remember his list, but the part of his list that coincides with Chandler's that I remember doesn't really fit that mentality.

Would you rather have Banchero or a second year Williams and Brakefield? If you could only have one.

Me? i'll take Williams and Brakefield in a heartbeat. I will also say, if Williams blows up and appears to be gone, that may influence Banchero, and if Williams doesn't, then I don't see Banchero coming. He wants to be the next Carey in terms of usage.

From what I've heard of Banchero he'll play big minutes no matter who returns. Imagine him at the 4 and a soph. Williams at the 5. You could play Brakefield at the 3 and have Coleman back them up.

Chris, I would love a team like you list, but I don't think that's the reality in the OAD era. Big time players don't want to come in where there are established people at his position.

Then again we can dream which is all we have right now...

Bancheros last interview he calls himself a 4. Baldwin and Griffin can play 3 or 4. Playing the 5 in a Duke small ball lineup with those 3 would be small ball in name only and probably not looked at as being forced to play the 5 if you were a Banchero.

Last edited:
I agree tim. Guy can really shoot and handle the ball for a 6-9 who I'd that solidly built.

I've read articles/sites that call the class of 2021 a "Top-Notch" High School class. These classes seem to come along every 5 or so years, the most recent being the Zion class.
I think K wants to dominate recruiting this class, he wants them all, hopefully he gets who he wants.

ADVERTISEMENT