ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament predictions per KenPom

I wasn’t expecting that large of a gap between us and the team with the second best odd (Louisville).

ESjz876XQAAtXOD

So either State or Pitt is first up.

I'm happy we got these last 2 wins at home but making us the favorite seems a little odd. I guess it's pretty wide open.

I think most of our losses were bad losses. Louisville I can get past. But the UVA loss bothers me. I hate how they so easily lulled us into their game. Credit where credit is due, they are very good at it. But I welcome another shot at them on a neutral floor for the ACC championship game. Let’s take care of business and get there.

Let’s go Duke!

Not expecting it this year since this particular team tends to need the warm embrace of the home crowd to play its best. Crazier things have happened though and Duke’s Championship Tradition in winning the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship is unmatched as of this date with 21 Championships and you can never count out a team with that kind of amazing success.

You’ve had a Rivals account for 17+ years and your first post is to ty to be a troll? lol
you can see by my handle that i used to be on the FSU site. Did it to keep up with football recruiting and later to keep up with the ACC channel. Haven't been on the site in years. That being said, I have never seen FSU lose a game in anything that it was not the refs fault. They are a worse fan base than the Holes , if that is possible. I need to change my handle.

you can see by my handle that i used to be on the FSU site. Did it to keep up with football recruiting and later to keep up with the ACC channel. Haven't been on the site in years. That being said, I have never seen FSU lose a game in anything that it was not the refs fault. They are a worse fan base than the Holes , if that is possible. I need to change my handle.

I assume you mean in Football in terms of the fan base? I don’t think they care all that deeply about Hoops down there by comparison.

Reactions: hpnole
Who’s going? I’m think about trying to go down Thursday for that game at least!

I'm happy we got these last 2 wins at home but making us the favorite seems a little odd. I guess it's pretty wide open.

It’s very wide open, to an extent, IMO. I’d be pretty surprised if a team other than one of the top four was playing in the ACC championship game.

Simple analytics would put that at about a 96% chance one of the top four is going to win the tournament...maybe higher. Roughly, that’s a one in four chance straight across the board. But I think when you factor in travel (for the other teams), the Greensboro crowd, our coach, Duke’s talent and the history Duke has in the event....well, I think we’re at least a slight favorite.

And FWIW, I’m not even sure I think we’ll win the tournament, but I understand the sentiment of us as the favorite.

I assume you mean in Football in terms of the fan base? I don’t think they care all that deeply about Hoops down there by comparison.
They are beginning too since the football program has tanked. Don't expect them to stay "down" as a football program. They are more like the SEC schools in football. Way too much money in that alumni base for that to happen. And no, they bitch about the officiating in basketball almost as much as football.

We are the highest ranked team in the ACC by a fairly wide margin on Kenpom (we are currently 5th, Louisville is 9th, FSU 15 and UVA 44) so it makes sense we’d be the biggest favorite to win our games based on their algorithm.

We are tied in the ACC with Virginia and Louisville, but have a better overall record than both of them, so why did we get the #4 seed and not #2?

ESjz876XQAAtXOD

So either State or Pitt is first up.
We are tied in the ACC with Virginia and Louisville, but have a better overall record than both of them, so why did we get the #4 seed and not #2?

We lost to UL ans UVA head to head. That’s the first tie breaker. We only played them once so we didn’t get a chance to split the series, which would have forced the “better record” tie breaker rule

Duke is the highest rated ACC team in KenPom’s ranking. I think we’re 5th overall. I think that’s how his predictions are being made.

Per KenPom (as of 3/8/20):
1- Duke (5th overall)
2- Louisville (9th overall)
3- FSU (15th overall)
4- UVA (44th overall)

They are beginning too since the football program has tanked. Don't expect them to stay "down" as a football program. They are more like the SEC schools in football. Way too much money in that alumni base for that to happen. And no, they bitch about the officiating in basketball almost as much as football.

I can confirm the bandwagon hoops fans. As soon as football rises from the ashes, basketball will fade into obscurity.

Why do the 3 and 4 seeds get the benefit of that first round rather than the 1 and 2 seeds?

The first order of business is UNC does not win.

But I like our bracket. We have to get by a couple of irritants in either Wake or NCSU. And FSU is always a tough team to play. But they are not at home which helps.

Louisville is the likely opponent but who knows.

The tourney that matters is still to come. Didn’t we lose in the semis in 2015?

Yes. We got run by Notre Dame.
That Notre Dame team has got to be one of the better forgotten teams in recent years. Had the 2-1 advantage against us that season and had UK on the ropes in the tourney. An extremely poised team.

That Notre Dame team has got to be one of the better forgotten teams in recent years. Had the 2-1 advantage against us that season and had UK on the ropes in the tourney. An extremely poised team.

The only time all season they weren't poised was the final three minutes against UK. They were very good.

Reactions: MyDudeG
I’m predicting that we’ll play NC State in the quarterfinals, Florida State in the semifinals and Louisville in the finals.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT