ADVERTISEMENT

Acc admits fault

Nothing will happen. It's like that 2 minute report the NBA refs do after every game.
I mean yeah like I said in the OP I know it won’t BUT

why are refs allowed to make up garbage without repercussion ? A bad call is one thing, but to bend the rules off a call THEY made to directly affect the outcome of a game is inexcusable. Based on the story Connor wrote they consider the case closed? Wtf do you mean case closed? And then they have the audacity to tell the coaches “ do not criticize officials”. Second game of the season where refs make up their own BS instead of following the rule book. I still can’t believe they decided not to call a flagrant on that flip punch. The ACC needs to clean this up, it’s insane

There will be no repercussions. Refs are independent contractors. All they can do is the ACC steps in and removes them from games/acc tournament, but another conference will snatch them up in a heartbeat. The NCAA could suspend them from the tournament, but the CBI/CIT/everybody gets a trophy.com will hire them. If worse come to worse, they will quickly be hired at D2, D3, NAIA, etc…

Reactions: hart2chesson
This has to be thought of during selection Sunday by the committee, right? The ACC admits it was wrong and Flip goes to the line with 0.1 seconds and you have to think a 77% shooter hits atleast one and wins the game.

In years past maybe, but now the selection over uses computers and does not look at all how a team is playing going into the tournament, last 10, etc… so any way you slice it, a computer says Duke lost and there is no accounting for anything else

Reactions: hart2chesson
In years past maybe, but now the selection over uses computers and does not look at all how a team is playing going into the tournament, last 10, etc… so any way you slice it, a computer says Duke lost and there is no accounting for anything else
You're correct in terms of the committee really going off of Net, kenpom etc, but there this is still a group of humans who I would imagine still take the eye test into consideration. Any way you want to slice it, those individuals are certainly aware of the admitted error that would have clearly resulted in a Quad 1 win.

Also a couple things:

1. Very questionable since the NCAA in like 2017 got into bed with a company on its stat systems who has on its web site its goal is to “enhance the experience for bettors in gambling on sporting events” or something to that effect.

2. Replay is used wrong. Anyone remember what happened in sports that really started to push the replay use? It was a game between the Jets and (AFC) Seahawks where Vinny Testeverde scored on TD on a fourth down QB sneak to essentially win the game. His helmet clearly passed the goal line, but he, on replays, clearly tucked the ball in his body and the ball was short of the goal line. Those are the type of things that should be overturned. If anything, yesterday was clearly a situation where call on the field (court) stands.

3. Why does basketball not have a system like baseball where you can play a game under protest?

4. The NCAA could not get away with a simple “oops” if this was the NCAA tournament. Forget the national championship, let’s say Kentucky beats Saint Peters the same was UVA beats Duke yesterday. Not just the huge upset, but the amount of tv money an HBCU loses out on…

5. Anyone bringing up the Grayson travel, the analogy does not fit. There are a handful of baskets scored in every basketball game on a travel. What is the difference between it happening with 18:27 left in the first half to at the end of the game? I PROMISE UVA scored a basket off of a travel that game.

Also a couple things:

1. Very questionable since the NCAA in like 2017 got into bed with a company on its stat systems who has on its web site its goal is to “enhance the experience for bettors in gambling on sporting events” or something to that effect.

2. Replay is used wrong. Anyone remember what happened in sports that really started to push the replay use? It was a game between the Jets and (AFC) Seahawks where Vinny Testeverde scored on TD on a fourth down QB sneak to essentially win the game. His helmet clearly passed the goal line, but he, on replays, clearly tucked the ball in his body and the ball was short of the goal line. Those are the type of things that should be overturned. If anything, yesterday was clearly a situation where call on the field (court) stands.

3. Why does basketball not have a system like baseball where you can play a game under protest?

4. The NCAA could not get away with a simple “oops” if this was the NCAA tournament. Forget the national championship, let’s say Kentucky beats Saint Peters the same was UVA beats Duke yesterday. Not just the huge upset, but the amount of tv money an HBCU loses out on…

5. Anyone bringing up the Grayson travel, the analogy does not fit. There are a handful of baskets scored in every basketball game on a travel. What is the difference between it happening with 18:27 left in the first half to at the end of the game? I PROMISE UVA scored a basket off of a travel that game.
Agreed, but St. Peter’s isn’t an HBCU

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Also a couple things:

I like the protest suggestion. OFC

• Haha
Reactions: toophly1124
My thing is…you can’t have all of that technology and still get it wrong. What’s the point of having million dollar equipment and still choose to make THAT call?

Because the technology did not make the call. If so Flip would have been on the free throw line. The officials made the call and had to know they were wrong. OFC

My thing is…you can’t have all of that technology and still get it wrong. What’s the point of having million dollar equipment and still choose to make THAT call?
It shouldn’t matter, but if the game had been in Durham, Flip would have been shooting FT’s for the win. The refs showed they have no testicles to make the correct call. Duke got hosed.

Also, the refs all know we no longer have a pit bull as the coach, we have a puppy. Jon HAS to start showing more intensity. He can’t allow the officials to run over him.

That was the worst call I’ve seen in this era of replay.

I think the word "choose" is the most applicable word in this situation. I am not going along with an inadvertent human error. The question is why. The least objectionable reason that I can think of is that the refs didn't want this game as well as the Virginia Tech game to be decided on a last second call. If so, contrary to their thinking, that still doesn't make it right as they ARE in effect deciding the game outcome rather than applying the rulebook. They need more than a little slap on the wrist by the league for substituting opinion for an unbiased decision.

Should Jon have ripped off his jacket? Broken a clipboard? Threw a chair? Smacked a cheerleader? He honestly showed more resolve than most would've shown, or I for that matter. And reacting to the point of being potentially issued a tech in a game that is going to OT is probably a bad look for the coach and the team. I promise Jon cares more about Duke, this team, and winning than we fans do.

Should Jon have ripped off his jacket? Broken a clipboard? Threw a chair? Smacked a cheerleader? He honestly showed more resolve than most would've shown, or I for that matter. And reacting to the point of being potentially issued a tech in a game that is going to OT is probably a bad look for the coach and the team. I promise Jon cares more about Duke, this team, and winning than we fans do.
No one says he doesn’t care. We all know he does. It’s his overall demeanor. The refs do know who no longer is on the sidelines, and it shows.
Take that however you choose. He’s too passive.

Last edited:
There is a lot of middle ground between Jon showing no emotion and throwing a chair. Unless you curse at the refs or walk out on the floor you usually won't get T'd up.

I get it. But you lead by example. I personally would have showed my ass. I've done it on the sidelines in gyms before and I immediately regretted it. I embarrassed myself and my team by flipping out over a bad call. But I'm not even worthy to hand out towels to the bench in Divison III or at a Guru-Gary 7/K-oach Q basketball camp. But I guarantee you I, or just about anyone else on this board, could ref a game better than the shitheels that called that travesty yesterday evening.

I agree with that usually, bleed. But the time has come for Jon to show the fight for his team, to his team. I'm not concerned about the post game presser, coaches have been scolded about complaining about refs, but he needs to show a little more emotion in game. I think it will positively effect the team (and fans in the stadium if it's at cameron).

I agree with that usually, bleed. But the time has come for Jon to show the fight for his team, to his team. I'm not concerned about the post game presser, coaches have been scolded about complaining about refs, but he needs to show a little more emotion in game. I think it will positively effect the team (and fans in the stadium if it's at cameron).
He can’t be seen as a pushover.

Unfortunately if I were the coach there would have been about a twenty minute delay before the start of overtime. They would have to explain it about 10 times.

He can’t be seen as a pushover.
I don't think he's a pushover, though. I think that's become a common slight, but I don't see it. I see him as a rookie coach navigating his way through all this. Of course, I said before I would have shown out last night. In fact, the ACC would probably be garnishing my wages because I am awful. But he has to be better than any of us. I won't debate that he could show more passion at times. But I honestly think that's just Jon's demeanor.

Fair enough, Tim.

Reactions: timo0402
I hear what others are saying, but I am with bleedit on the issue of Jon's reaction. We also don't know what Jon saw. Did they show the replay in slow motion on the jumbotron? Or did he just have to go with what he saw happen live?

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Also, for those wanting Scheyer to lose his cool, please think rationally. He’s in his first year on the job. Did you go ballistic on a colleague/partner when something wasn’t done right in your first year on a new job? Also, the league had just warned coaches not to make any negative comments towards officials the same week this incident happened. Finally, Scheyer losing his cool would take the spotlight off of the officials. Non-Duke fans are still bashing them. Had Scheyer overreacted, non Duke fans would be talking more about his reaction than their bad call. The refs and Virginia look bad. That’s who the focus should be on and maybe that’s why the ACC came out and admitted the refs made a mistake but had Scheyer overreacted (which he was well within his rights to do) maybe the league doesn’t bash the officials and maybe defend them even more and instead bash Scheyer’s behavior. Just like in football, no one remembers the action, they remember the reaction!

Some may not recall but ironically Duke won a game at Virginia 26 years ago in that exact scenario. Wojo was fouled and Duke won on free throws with no time.

I knew it was a foul but I also said to myself let's just TCB in OT so there won't be any crybabies from Charlottesville stirring it into a controversy. (I guess that would mean Scheyer gets all the calls in their mind? lol)

The same call would have been made if K was still coaching.

I agree, I was playing the hypothetical on what the UVA base spin would have been had Duke won it on free throws since they wouldn't have had their Nemesis Mike Krzyzewski to throw out there for their narrative.

The way Flip is playing that might be a positive. Us and injuries. It never ends. Hope he gets better soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT