ADVERTISEMENT

9/11

dukehokie

Jun 27, 2005
Today is a day of remembrance and unity. As horrendous as the attacks were, the response by first responders, civilians and military was equally impactful if not greater. And as people still struggle today mentally and physically from the attacks in New York, Alexandria and the plane coming down in Shanksville, please remember that no matter what, we are one, strong nation. Feel free to use this thread for stories, thoughts and mindfulness. May God Bless America.

Ironically, I was a site coordinator for United Way’s Day of Caring on Sept 11, 2001 in Charleston, SC. I had roughly 40 volunteers working multiple projects that day at an alternative school until the first plane hit. I had to tell all those folks to pack up and go be with your loved ones. Because if you recall, we all thought the planes hitting the towers was just the beginning.

I was lucky in that I personally did not lose anyone I knew that day. Thousands weren’t so fortunate. But we, as Americans, were all changed that day. The world as we knew it changed that day and we operate under a completely different mindset since.

God bless America.

Reactions: dukehokie
Most people old enough will never forget where they were, and what they were doing that day, down to the exact location.
I can name exactly everything I did that day from start to finish. Such a horrible, tragic, and sad day that I will never ever forget.

Reactions: Mac9192
Most people old enough will never forget where they were, and what they were doing that day, down to the exact location.

Absolutely.......I remember that day more clear than any other day within 5 years of that date. I actually had to fly to Japan on the one year anniversary of that date, and there was a small disturbance between a passenger and the flight attendant, then the captain. I won't go into a lot of detail, but there were several of us just kind of making eye contact and nodding as if we all read each other's mind and were in agreement to respond. As it turns out, there was no major issue. The guy was just upset about some condensation dripping from his air vent, but it was wild to see so many strangers communicating so clearly, without speaking a word.

Reactions: Mac9192
A former Duke football player was killed in the towers. Seems like his last name was Lenoir.

Reactions: skysdad
I was in an early econ class at the Sanford building when the first plane hit. They put down the monitors in every classroom when the news broke.

Was walking back to my fraternity section on west campus when the second plane hit. I remember that cell phones were still a new thing then, and few people had them. Getting in touch with family was a nightmare.

There was a member of my church that was in one of the towers for an early meeting. She had just left Manhattan when it started.

I currently represent 2 estates for former first responders that experienced medical issues as a result. One passed away earlier this year.

Lasting impacts from probably the most significant event in my lifetime.

Last edited:
A former Duke football player was killed in the towers. Seems like his last name was Lenoir.

There were several Duke grads killed. The problem with having so many Duke grads in banking:(

Anyone else here living in NYC when it happened?

I was sitting right where I am now,at work,when the events began to unfold,we had turned on a TV in the lunch room and watched horrified as the trade centers fell.I was a fire fighter for 22 years,so I know what its like to run towards the danger when others are running away.Last week was the 20th anniversary of Swiss Air Flight 111 which crashed just a few miles from my home,my department was the first one out looking for survivors,unfortunatley there were none to be found.To the brave first responders who died on that tragic day,i salute you.Many more have since succumbed to disease contracted while on the site.All people who cherish freedom must never let anything like this happen again

Posted this last year. Still true.

lived about 20 blocks from the towers.

Was teaching that day, up at CPE1 on 106th street. Was helping in a first grade class when a first grader told me another kid was saying that there were explosions downtown. I said that people like to make stuff up. Still have no idea how the kid knew.

Then the principal started coming around and telling us. A lot of phones were down, and there weren't computers in the classrooms and people didn't have iphones or anything.

We got only a bit of news. It was really scary, because we just couldn't find out what was happening. We heard about the Pentagon, and there were rumors that the Supreme Court had been attacked... and then the fighters started screaming overhead, and I genuinely believed WWIII had started.

Parents started to come and get kids. An aide sat in the back with an ear bud in, and told us what he could figure out.

At around 10:45 I went out to get food for everyone. The streets were PACKED... like a completely full subway, with everyone walking north. Now, 106th is MILES from Ground Zero... but everyone was just running away. Saw people covered in the dust. Went into a restaurant, where there were a hundred people around a TV, and there was a shot of one of the towers still standing, and I blurted out "Wait, are the towers still up?!?" and everyone turned and one person said "No, that's from before."

Eventually school closed and I went over to 5th ave to catch a bus downtown, because the subways were down. The only traffic was buses, and HUGE convoys of tractor trailers with medical supply names on the sides, and humvees. I still didn't know everything that had happened.

When the bus got a bit further south I leaned out (it was a bus where everyone faced each other) and looked downtown, and my heart stopped. I hadnt seen the plume yet, and it basically covered the entire horizon. I think I gasped, and everyone else leaned over and looked down the length of the bus, and you could tell nobody had really SEEN it yet, because everyone was floored.

I lived below the cordoned off zone.

Met all my friends at my buddy's apartment on Thompson, which was also below the cordoned off zone. When our friend who actually worked at the towers showed up at the door we all burst into tears and hugged. My college roommates dad also worked there, but got out safely we learned later.

Everything was dusty. That night it was silent. I had a corner apartment on the NE corner of MacDougal and 3rd. I could see right down south MacDougal and see the plume. There were huge floodlights all night, lighting it up. I got high, and sat on my fire escape on the 3rd floor, and watched four kids (I assume NYU students) play frisbee in the empty West Village streets while a kid jumped up and down smoking a joint on a trampoline right in the middle of the intersection of MacDougal and 3rd. Occasionally they would call out "car!" and move for the humvees or whatever that came by. It was silent, and eerie.

The fire department on my block (now Anderson Cooper's house) lost a guy... Keith Roma. The flowers outside the place took up the ENTIRE block, five or six feet wide and three or four feet deep.

There were missing person posters EVERYWHERE. Myentire neighborhood was covered in them. This is Rays, which was a couple of blocks over...

dt32+David+Turnley+corbis.jpg

Another shot...

Fcobb00-R3-7_6.jpg

I remember two that stuck out.

One was an older man, and on the poster it said he had six grandkids.

Another was a pretty young blond woman in a white dress. On the poster it said she had just gotten married.

I knew that nobody needed to know any of that to find them... it was just their loved ones heartache.

The Daily News the next day... I remember seeing this cover...

images

... and thinking "Holy shit. If there are 10,000 of us dead... how the hell can we ever recover?"

My best friend was in the National Guard and was called in for body recovery on the 12th. He called me on the way in, and we talked. We didn't talk again for three days. He called when he had come back out, and had a breakdown. He just kept talking about what it was like to find the bodies, the parts, and having to MOVE them... he kept talking about the weight of them. I quickly got out of town (he lived in NJ) and got over to his place, and we got in the car and left, drove up to Vermont, and stayed up there for a few days so he could get his head straight.

Everything I owned was dusty for a month after, and the smell... the smell stuck around for six months. The plume, the smoke... it lasted what felt like forever.

I didn't see any footage or photos of it for... for a long, long time? I couldn't. The first thing I really saw was when I was at the New York Historical Society, and I walked past a door, and there was a movie theatre inside, and on the screen as part of a 9/11 exhibit they were just playing a single shot... a single steady shot of one of the towers burning. A close up, showing maybe the top twenty or thirty floors. I happened to look to the right as I passed, and it hit me like a truck. I just stood there, mouth open, and watched the video from the doorway for maybe ten minutes. I just couldn't move. I still don't really watch anything about it.

When the big power outage happened, everyone I know panicked; we assumed we got hit again. Every time a plane flew low, my then-girlfriend and I would pause, and wait, until it passed. The plane crash in Queens a month or so later had everyone panicked. And every time there was fireworks in the city, the streets would be full of frightened people, thinking we were under attack.

Worst day of my life, without question.

There were several Duke grads killed. The problem with having so many Duke grads in banking:(

Anyone else here living in NYC when it happened?
Long Island. Both my wife and I spent a lot of time at LaGuardia after 9/11 dealing with the PTSD of Port Authority Cops. They lost 37 men that day.
OFC

Reactions: dbav
Long Island. Both my wife and I spent a lot of time at LaGuardia after 9/11 dealing with the PTSD of Port Authority Cops. They lost 37 men that day.
OFC

:(

You in mental health? My wife is, she is one some board for mental health for the tri state area if we suffer a major catastrophe or attack. Must be terrible:(

A day that will be etched in all our memories. So horrible, and yet as always the American spirit showed up as always. There were many heroes that day, including the first reponders, but there were heroes that at the apex of disaster chose to change the course of history, and that would include Todd Beamer, and other passengers of flight 93 that averted only God knows what else.

And here is a vid of Rick Rescorla who also wouldn't accept anything less than making sure that all his people were safe.

There were so many heroes of 911, and I salute them all. Don't ever forget. God bless America.

OFC

Posted this last year. Still true.

lived about 20 blocks from the towers.

Was teaching that day, up at CPE1 on 106th street. Was helping in a first grade class when a first grader told me another kid was saying that there were explosions downtown. I said that people like to make stuff up. Still have no idea how the kid knew.

Then the principal started coming around and telling us. A lot of phones were down, and there weren't computers in the classrooms and people didn't have iphones or anything.

We got only a bit of news. It was really scary, because we just couldn't find out what was happening. We heard about the Pentagon, and there were rumors that the Supreme Court had been attacked... and then the fighters started screaming overhead, and I genuinely believed WWIII had started.

Parents started to come and get kids. An aide sat in the back with an ear bud in, and told us what he could figure out.

At around 10:45 I went out to get food for everyone. The streets were PACKED... like a completely full subway, with everyone walking north. Now, 106th is MILES from Ground Zero... but everyone was just running away. Saw people covered in the dust. Went into a restaurant, where there were a hundred people around a TV, and there was a shot of one of the towers still standing, and I blurted out "Wait, are the towers still up?!?" and everyone turned and one person said "No, that's from before."

Eventually school closed and I went over to 5th ave to catch a bus downtown, because the subways were down. The only traffic was buses, and HUGE convoys of tractor trailers with medical supply names on the sides, and humvees. I still didn't know everything that had happened.

When the bus got a bit further south I leaned out (it was a bus where everyone faced each other) and looked downtown, and my heart stopped. I hadnt seen the plume yet, and it basically covered the entire horizon. I think I gasped, and everyone else leaned over and looked down the length of the bus, and you could tell nobody had really SEEN it yet, because everyone was floored.

I lived below the cordoned off zone.

Met all my friends at my buddy's apartment on Thompson, which was also below the cordoned off zone. When our friend who actually worked at the towers showed up at the door we all burst into tears and hugged. My college roommates dad also worked there, but got out safely we learned later.

Everything was dusty. That night it was silent. I had a corner apartment on the NE corner of MacDougal and 3rd. I could see right down south MacDougal and see the plume. There were huge floodlights all night, lighting it up. I got high, and sat on my fire escape on the 3rd floor, and watched four kids (I assume NYU students) play frisbee in the empty West Village streets while a kid jumped up and down smoking a joint on a trampoline right in the middle of the intersection of MacDougal and 3rd. Occasionally they would call out "car!" and move for the humvees or whatever that came by. It was silent, and eerie.

The fire department on my block (now Anderson Cooper's house) lost a guy... Keith Roma. The flowers outside the place took up the ENTIRE block, five or six feet wide and three or four feet deep.

There were missing person posters EVERYWHERE. Myentire neighborhood was covered in them. This is Rays, which was a couple of blocks over...

dt32+David+Turnley+corbis.jpg

Another shot...

Fcobb00-R3-7_6.jpg

I remember two that stuck out.

One was an older man, and on the poster it said he had six grandkids.

Another was a pretty young blond woman in a white dress. On the poster it said she had just gotten married.

I knew that nobody needed to know any of that to find them... it was just their loved ones heartache.

The Daily News the next day... I remember seeing this cover...

images

... and thinking "Holy shit. If there are 10,000 of us dead... how the hell can we ever recover?"

My best friend was in the National Guard and was called in for body recovery on the 12th. He called me on the way in, and we talked. We didn't talk again for three days. He called when he had come back out, and had a breakdown. He just kept talking about what it was like to find the bodies, the parts, and having to MOVE them... he kept talking about the weight of them. I quickly got out of town (he lived in NJ) and got over to his place, and we got in the car and left, drove up to Vermont, and stayed up there for a few days so he could get his head straight.

Everything I owned was dusty for a month after, and the smell... the smell stuck around for six months. The plume, the smoke... it lasted what felt like forever.

I didn't see any footage or photos of it for... for a long, long time? I couldn't. The first thing I really saw was when I was at the New York Historical Society, and I walked past a door, and there was a movie theatre inside, and on the screen as part of a 9/11 exhibit they were just playing a single shot... a single steady shot of one of the towers burning. A close up, showing maybe the top twenty or thirty floors. I happened to look to the right as I passed, and it hit me like a truck. I just stood there, mouth open, and watched the video from the doorway for maybe ten minutes. I just couldn't move. I still don't really watch anything about it.

When the big power outage happened, everyone I know panicked; we assumed we got hit again. Every time a plane flew low, my then-girlfriend and I would pause, and wait, until it passed. The plane crash in Queens a month or so later had everyone panicked. And every time there was fireworks in the city, the streets would be full of frightened people, thinking we were under attack.

Worst day of my life, without question.

Dude, thank you for sharing this. The weight of a moment like this is horrible to bear.

Reactions: TheDude1
I was sitting right where I am now,at work,when the events began to unfold,we had turned on a TV in the lunch room and watched horrified as the trade centers fell.I was a fire fighter for 22 years,so I know what its like to run towards the danger when others are running away.Last week was the 20th anniversary of Swiss Air Flight 111 which crashed just a few miles from my home,my department was the first one out looking for survivors,unfortunatley there were none to be found.To the brave first responders who died on that tragic day,i salute you.Many more have since succumbed to disease contracted while on the site.All people who cherish freedom must never let anything like this happen again

Are you Toronto FD? I joined the fire service for two reasons, this and my father. I’m with Fairfax County just outside of DC.

First off, thanks dukehokie for this thread. This is still a very sad, emotional day for my wife, myself, my brother, and sister. All gave 20 years to this great country. Lucky I didn't know anybody personally killed in the attack, but never the less, I lost a lot of fellow Americans on this day. Ones that we took an Oath to protect. I was stationed at Ft. Bragg at the time and was into my second day of a 2 week leave. Got the call to return to duty immediately. I can say, I don't think I ever seen so many pissed off service members wanting to wreck havoc and destroy everybody responsible. I can only imagine the horror they all went through. Another thing I will never forget is the togetherness that this country showed. It was truly a thing of beauty during an extremely ugly time. God Bless them all!

Dude, thank you for sharing this. The weight of a moment like this is horrible to bear.

No prob. Its good to keep it alive, you know? And personal. I remember reading something by one of the OK City folks who was there, and it just made me realize how different it is, when you aren't IN the place, and it really made me "appreciate" the Oklahoma City bombing in a way I hadn't, if that makes sense?

Reactions: dukehokie
My daughter (Duke Class of 2000) was in the building across the street from one of the towers. She was fortunate to get away and had to walk 94 blocks back to her apt. She left the Cite to stay with her aunt and uncle in New Jersey. When she was allowed back in to NYC, she and some others "adopted" one of the fire stations which was hard hit and spent much time providing help and support to the firemen and their families. After all of that, this South Carolina girl became a New Yorker for life.

My daughter (Duke Class of 2000) was in the building across the street from one of the towers. She was fortunate to get away and had to walk 94 blocks back to her apt. She left the Cite to stay with her aunt and uncle in New Jersey. When she was allowed back in to NYC, she and some others "adopted" one of the fire stations which was hard hit and spent much time providing help and support to the firemen and their families. After all of that, this South Carolina girl became a New Yorker for life.

She work for AmEx? Just curious, totally random question.

It was nuts, that they closed down Manhattan. Just... you cant believe they can DO that, you know?

Arrived at my Rockefeller Center office just as first plane hit, thought it was odd but started catching up on e-mails. After 2nd plane hit, my fiance, who worked for MTV in Times Square, called immediately & wanted out of there. Rock Center offices were evacuated with sirens blaring everywhere as cops & firefighters raced downtown. Met up with my fiance and walked to our place on Upper East Side, first tower fell as we walked past a pub. One of the saddest moments in my life. Friends who worked downtown all got out thanks to FDNY & NYPD.

The next day I walked the city, which sounds so foolish considering what ocurred the day before. Watching fully armed military patrol the city was very eery. America changed that day.

Oh FML. You know you guys have a subway up there now? Like... two blocks away? Its nuts.

I was 86th and Columbus for years and years. Basically straight across the park.

Yep, 2nd Ave line. I always took Lex line. West Side was cool, hung out at The Parlor, Gin Mill, Blondies & Jake's.

Yep, 2nd Ave line. I always took Lex line. West Side was cool, hung out at The Parlor, Gin Mill, Blondies & Jake's.

Hah! Know them well:) Yeah, the 2nd avenue line is a game changer for that area. Love the Upper West... it always felt like what New York was sort of "supposed" to be... the brownstones, the brunch places... that sort of thing. On beautiful Sunday mornings I miss the shit out of it:)

She work for AmEx? Just curious, totally random question.

It was nuts, that they closed down Manhattan. Just... you cant believe they can DO that, you know?
JP Morgan Chase. Guiliani opened up the trains and subways to give free transport out of the city. So she was lucky to have family across the river.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT