ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Chance from RJ's Attitude

Jan 21, 2018
Let me try again, because I really did walk away from the boards after my post. Not everyone posts on a daily basis. I really have been a Duke fan since 91. My name is Chris Rudder and I live in Asheville, NC. I have no fear of being known in the slightest.

I LOVE Duke more than almost anything. And that may breed why I don't post much, I don't want to compete for exposure on topics that get brought up regularly. But I've noticed that there is literally more discussion about Duke on rupp rafters than here, or TDD or DBR. That is sad. Reddit is the next best option for Duke content, and that is some soft-cock jerk-off shit if I've ever seen them. I scour the boards for ANY Duke content to absorb. (I am even sad that ic isn't providing much Duke content, usually my favorite).

I'm sorry that my post didn't sunshine-pump the team the way that you expected a "new" poster to post. I just thought I would bring up a discussion on a Duke board that caught my eye. Most everything else is always brought up and I love the discussions. I just hoped that my discussion topic would have been a new perspective, not necessarily a negative one, but one worth discussing. I don't have any idea how it would have alluded to a pattern of behavior for RJ, or a reason of true concern.

I apologize for my reaction, but I am very VERY offended by the accusation of being a "troll". I think it is the laziest and lowest form of dissension from an internet forum. I should not have reacted the way I did, but I was pissed, and responded in a more real-world way, even though that is useless.

My favorite player of all time is Trajan Langdon. I used to watch the great Alaskan Assassin with the greatest of respect and tried my whole life to shoot like him. I grew up in Charlotte, NC and was bullied by a punk who wore a backwards unc hat everyday and learned that Duke and unc were rivals. Since that realization in 1st grade, I have loved every single player and moment of Duke history. Greatest decision I've ever made. If you still think I am a troll, so be it. Just because someone doesn't post (or doesn't post positively; see my kenpom post on TDD) then you win. And I would suggest all lurkers to avoid posting.

Your good ol' boy's club mentality isn't healthy. This isn't supposed to be the cesspool that is ic or rr. This is supposed to be a place of constant and healthy discussion. Whether positive or not, whether by newbies or old farts. Again, I apologize for my reaction.

I have seen incredible body language by RJ in the past two games. These dudes are beautiful to watch. I will love the Devils til the day I die whether you all approve or not.

No offense, but it did get 3,500 views. What did YOU get on your first post?

/rant

Last edited:
Let me try again, because I really did walk away from the boards after my post. Not everyone posts on a daily basis. I really have been a Duke fan since 91. My name is Chris Rudder and I live in Asheville, NC. I have no fear of being known in the slightest.

I LOVE Duke more than almost anything. And that may breed why I don't post much, I don't want to compete for exposure on topics that get brought up regularly. But I've noticed that there is literally more discussion about Duke on rupp rafters than here, or TDD or DBR. That is sad. Reddit is the next best option for Duke content, and that is some soft-cock jerk offs if I've ever seen them... I haven't. I scour the boards for ANY Duke content to absorb. (I am even sad that ic isn't providing much Duke content, usually my favorite).

I'm sorry that my post didn't sunshine-pump the team the way that you expected a "new" poster to post. I just thought I would bring up a discussion on a Duke board that caught my eye. Most everything else is always brought up and I love the discussions. I just hoped that my discussion topic would have been a new perspective, not necessarily a negative one, but one worth discussing. I don't have any idea how it would have alluded to a pattern of behavior for RJ, or a reason of true concern.

I apologize for my reaction, but I am very VERY offended by the accusation of being a "troll". I think it is the laziest and lowest form of dissension from an internet forum. I should not have reacted the way I did, but I was pissed, and responded in a more real-world way, even though that is useless.

My favorite player of all time is Trajan Langdon. I used to watch the great Alaskan Assassin with the greatest of respect and tried my whole life to shoot like him. I grew up in Charlotte, NC and was bullied by a punk who wore a backwards unc hat everyday and learned that Duke and unc were rivals. Since that realization in 1st grade, I have loved every single player and moment of Duke history. If you still think I am a troll, so be it. Just because someone doesn't post (or doesn't post positively; see my kenpom post on TDD) then you win. And I would suggest all lurkers to avoid posting.

Your good ol' boy's club mentality isn't healthy. This isn't supposed to be the cesspool that is ic or rr. This is supposed to be a place of constant and healthy discussion. Whether positive or not, whether by newbies or old farts.

I have seen incredible body language by RJ in the past two games. These dudes are beautiful to watch. I will love the Devils til the day I die whether you all approve or not.

/rant
Might have been better to stop after the apology.

tenor.gif

Well, let's see here. We got an apology, an introduction, an insult, another apology , 2 insults, some pretty hard language and some advice on how to run our board....after we were told it was better than the others. I feel like I just watched an episode from the Twilight Zone.

Well, let's see here. We got an apology, an introduction, an insult, another apology , 2 insults, some pretty hard language and some advice on how to run our board....after we were told it was better than the others. I feel like I just watched an episode from the Twilight Zone.
Hahahahaha I didn’t get that far

I LOVE Duke more than almost anything. And that may breed why I don't post much, I don't want to compete for exposure on topics that get brought up regularly. But I've noticed that there is literally more discussion about Duke on rupp rafters than here, or TDD or DBR. That is sad. Reddit is the next best option for Duke content, and that is some soft-cock jerk-off shit if I've ever seen them. I scour the boards for ANY Duke content to absorb. (I am even sad that ic isn't providing much Duke content, usually my favorite).

My favorite player of all time is Trajan Langdon. I used to watch the great Alaskan Assassin with the greatest of respect and tried my whole life to shoot like him. I grew up in Charlotte, NC and was bullied by a punk who wore a backwards unc hat everyday and learned that Duke and unc were rivals. Since that realization in 1st grade, I have loved every single player and moment of Duke history. Greatest decision I've ever made. If you still think I am a troll, so be it. Just because someone doesn't post (or doesn't post positively; see my kenpom post on TDD) then you win. And I would suggest all lurkers to avoid posting.

Your good ol' boy's club mentality isn't healthy. This isn't supposed to be the cesspool that is ic or rr. This is supposed to be a place of constant and healthy discussion. Whether positive or not, whether by newbies or old farts. Again, I apologize for my reaction.

/rant

So, I'll take your post seriously. A few thoughts.

First, it's not only bad etiquette, but it's also a bit odd to attack the "culture" of a message board when you are a brand spanking new poster. You are bound to irritate people by talking about how bad the "good old boys club" is, because not only is it unlikely that, in such a short time, you actually understand the culture, but it is also a bit of a direct insult to the forum members. I suggest that, if you are truly interested in being a long-term part of a community that discusses Duke basketball, you realize this.

Second, no need to "sunshine pump." You'll always have a mix of posters around... you'll have the folks who are generally positive (like Ozzie at DBR.. 9F!) and folks who tend to go after what they see as issues (maybe Mac here?) and then folks who are just nuts (KevinStrickland over at TDD). But when you first arrive at a forum, it's good to remember that every forum has a long history of actual trolls, from the drop-in, short-term obvious trolls to the mid-game trolls (looking at you, @Matt Laurer!) all the way up to the long-con types (remember the Count?) So when you post, and you are new to a board, and your first posts are possibly calling out Duke's best player for something, you have to understand that you MIGHT get some push back; the best way to deal with that is usually just to stay calm and stick with your guns. If @IPSYCHOSIS can last around here, so should you be able to.

Finally, I wouldn't genuinely reveal who you are on internet message boards. A guy on the national board (miss you, JSpears!) ended up getting fired from his job because someone figured out who he was and went after him in real life. While you might say you don't care, you will if some a-hole nutjob decides to make your life difficult.

P.S. I'll add that I also noticed that RJ seemed a bit frustrated that game. I did think it was more frustration with himself, but I had noticed it, and Mike G actually mentioned in that next game that K had a talk with the team about body language and how they comport themselves, so it wasn't a bad point to discuss. Sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it:)

Last edited:

/rant
giphy.gif
FAIL!

/rant

Well I'm sorry you were offended but we do live in The United States of the Offended don't we. I always when a new poster comes on board post "welcome to the board, have fun." I really mean that. There have been times when I did that where the new poster turns out to be a troll. If my memory is correct and I haven't went back and checked I stated that I hoped you were indeed a Duke fan but there have been others over the years that were true Duke fans that really are trolls. We have some skeptical people on this board that are suspicious of certain new posters because of the content and I probably is the worst. Plus you seem to be a sensitive person and I can see how you were offended. The thing I guess that put me into thinking you may be a troll is the third post you made on the thread. That just spooked me. Even in this thread you come off a little chippy. Now that I have gotten that out of my way I once again hope you are a Duke fan. Is it possible for you to start over under another name? One more thing. I know a guy from where I live named Josh Rudder. Great Duke fan and one of the best high school basketball players to come out He's a devout Christian and possibly close to your age. Went to Lenoir Ryne had a great career there. He always went to Coach K's basketball camp and had the opportunity to play in Cameron against Duke several years ago . He put up 12 point on Duke and when they went through the hand shake line Coach K stopped him for a moment and told him he remembered him from his camps and told him he had a great game. The only reason I'm relating this story to you is he's a Rudder and a Duke fan and possible connection between the two of you. Josh also played in Europe for a while. Of course if you know Josh you know this anyway. OFC

Last edited:
Well I'm sorry you were offended but we do live in The United States of the Offended don't we. I always when a new poster comes on board post "welcome to the board, have fun." I really mean that. There have been times when I did that where the new poster turns out to be a troll. If my memory is correct and I haven't went back and checked I stated that I hoped you were indeed a Duke fan but there have been others over the years that were true Duke fans that really are trolls. We have some skeptical people on this board that are suspicious of certain new posters because of the content and I probably is the worst. Plus you seem to be a sensitive person and I can see how you were offended. The thing I guess that put me into thinking you may be a troll is
I just want to know 1 thing... “is” what?! :p

/rant
I have taken a long break from this board. Found myself getting too wrapped around the axel and torqued up about things -- UNC academic scandal, NCAAT, etc. The fact is that these are some really trivial matters. I also have been a Duke fan for a long time and have loved basketball over all other team sports.

The guys here are Duke fans through and through. They are pretty smart, pretty fair, and most seem to be pretty funny. I enjoy the online camaraderie here a lot. When I came back, my wife was genuinely surprised at some of the responses that I got on that first new post. This group will get to know you.

Look -- flush the buffer, reset, whatever; do what you feel you need to do; if you love Duke basketball then you should be here. My advice is try to not get too torqued and take things personally...and that is some advice that I often need to heed myself.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Am I the only one here the loves the college basketball subreddit?

So, I'll take your post seriously. A few thoughts.

First, it's not only bad etiquette, but it's also a bit odd to attack the "culture" of a message board when you are a brand spanking new poster. You are bound to irritate people by talking about how bad the "good old boys club" is, because not only is it unlikely that, in such a short time, you actually understand the culture, but it is also a bit of a direct insult to the forum members. I suggest that, if you are truly interested in being a long-term part of a community that discusses Duke basketball, you realize this.

Second, no need to "sunshine pump." You'll always have a mix of posters around... you'll have the folks who are generally positive (like Ozzie at DBR.. 9F!) and folks who tend to go after what they see as issues (maybe Mac here?) and then folks who are just nuts (KevinStrickland over at TDD). But when you first arrive at a forum, it's good to remember that every forum has a long history of actual trolls, from the drop-in, short-term obvious trolls to the mid-game trolls (looking at you, @Matt Laurer!) all the way up to the long-con types (remember the Count?) So when you post, and you are new to a board, and your first posts are possibly calling out Duke's best player for something, you have to understand that you MIGHT get some push back; the best way to deal with that is usually just to stay calm and stick with your guns. If @IPSYCHOSIS can last around here, so should you be able to.

Finally, I wouldn't genuinely reveal who you are on internet message boards. A guy on the national board (miss you, JSpears!) ended up getting fired from his job because someone figured out who he was and went after him in real life. While you might say you don't care, you will if some a-hole nutjob decides to make your life difficult.

P.S. I'll add that I also noticed that RJ seemed a bit frustrated that game. I did think it was more frustration with himself, but I had noticed it, and Mike G actually mentioned in that next game that K had a talk with the team about body language and how they comport themselves, so it wasn't a bad point to discuss. Sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it:)

I like the ones that start out " I come in peace. " LOL. OFC

I didn't agree with the original post on Barrett. But, I've been on this board a long, long time and have been a Duke fan longer than some of the prominant posters on here have been alive (and before K) - the mid-late 70s.

This board does have a number of overly defensive, easily offended, PC posters who take things way too seriously about any criticism of Duke or K or its players. It easily becomes too defensive, jr. high drama queenish - "you said something I didn't like about one of our players, or you are new to this board, therefore you must be a Troll!"

It becomes "Tribal" not with Duke as much as it is with a select group of exclusivist posters unbecoming of a healthy social environment.

I don't frequent a lot of discussion boards. So there may be many that are very negative and "troll-ish." But, I'm on 3-4 others and none have as many easily offended posters about the home team as I've seen here.

But, as far as Barrett is concerned, he is a-typical of a lot of Duke players in the past. I'd probably say he's more in line with a Hurley or a Laettner vs a G. Hill or Dawkins or Battier. I'm okay with that. His intensity and fire and never back down mentality is something Duke will need to permeate the team if this freshman dominated group is going be in the Final Four and win it all.

Looking forward to tonight's game. Don't forget the arrowhead sharpening meeting tonight guys, dukehokie you're responsible for the bon fire tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT