ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Carolina is hosted a big man this week; Lubin from Vandy. He is a 4. They are also waiting on the Kentucky transfer Onyenso to pull out of the draft. If they get those 2 they will be a top 10 team. Interesting to see what will happen as they have missed on numerous big men targets and Washington is their only 5. Rumor is Lubin is not going there.

No you're right it already happened.
I just read a Big 10 preview that has Sean Stewart coming off the bench for OSU. Uh oh.

Last edited:
We essentially swapped Roach, Stewart, & Power for James, Gillis, & Brown.
Pros: We gained more experience, Gillis has been in as many wars as Roach has. James should be a MUCH better perimeter defender than Roach. Gillis can shoot like Power but Gillis can also defend & rebound. Brown is basically a more mature Stewart.

Cons: Roach was our go to guy in the clutch, will it be Flagg this year, Foster or Proctor? Stewart had maybe the highest ceiling of anyone, but man he was still so raw defensively.

I think we upgraded and now have more experience to surround Flagg with. I know we lost other pieces like Schutt and Reeves, but I don’t think they would have played this year. Blakes I will miss.
Think Gillis is a huge upgrade over Power. Roach vs James is a tougher one to judge. Big upgrade on defense from Roach to James, but it’s too early to tell regarding Roach on offense vs James on offense. I would still take Stewart over Brown just from an upside perspective. Maybe Brown is more stable throughout the season, but Stewart has the chance to have some huge games and/or season.

Roach has withdrawn from not being drafted in the draft. I would bet Baylor will be in our bracket. I am hearing McCain's stock is up, Flips stock is down.

Reactions: jamsession2
The big thing for me in Sion vs Roach is a more physical presence (220). Roach really didn’t improve from the end of his soph year to senior. He was still inconsistent and didn’t bring any physicality to the team. Which is what hurt us a lot against more mature teams. He can have good games but also bad games. Really did not want another year of the same. So I’m happy with Sion > Roach.

Brown is an upgrade over the end of season Stewart. Better defensive presence. Stewart just disappeared last year.

Gillis is also an upgrade in maturity, shooting, defense, physicality, etc. over anyone else.

I’m very happy about all 3 additions.

Only player loss I wish we had back is Stewart whose athleticism and defensive quickness could have been utilized. And good depth at the 3 and 4. Otherwise fine with the rest leaving.

I was thinking about this today. A common thread among our 4 transfers (well 3 I don't know much about the Rice kid but he seems to fit the profile) is they are not guys who need a lot of shots. And they all play defense. That is why I think they will fit in well and why Jon pursued them. They are not guys who are hoisting up 15 shots a game, which would be the last thing this team needs.
SportsGrid ranked the top 100 transfers. Sion was our top ranked transfer which was interesting at 51. Roach was ranked 9th. Gillis was 88th. Brown was not top 100 which was surprising. Mitchell was in the 30's. I like Roach, but that seems a little high for him. He had some big moments, but you never knew what to expect game to game with him.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this today. A common thread among our 4 transfers (well 3 I don't know much about the Rice kid but he seems to fit the profile) is they are not guys who need a lot of shots. And they all play defense. That is why I think they will fit in well and why Jon pursued them. They are not guys who are hoisting up 15 shots a game, which would be the last thing this team needs.
SportsGrid ranked the top 100 transfers. Sion was our top ranked transfer which was interesting at 51. Roach was ranked 9th. Gillis was 88th. Brown was not top 100 which was surprising. Mitchell was in the 30's. I like Roach, but that seems a little high for him. He had some big moments, but you never knew what to expect game to game with him.
The Duke name never hurts. Happens for HS recruits now it's happening for guys in the portal.

Reactions: christophero
Roach I think was high because his offensive output he is capable of putting up . Mitchell because his defensive versatility. I agree Brown is shocking but I don’t think he played much his freshman season at Cuse did he ? They had Edwards and the other big I believe .

Roach I think was high because his offensive output he is capable of putting up . Mitchell because his defensive versatility. I agree Brown is shocking but I don’t think he played much his freshman season at Cuse did he ? They had Edwards and the other big I believe .
29 games 20 mpg 6pg 5rbs 1blk 1ast 1stl 70fg%

Reactions: sheyduke
Gillis is an upgrade over TJ by alot. Sion and Roach could be an even wash but Sion just looks the part of the big, veteran guard we have needed. The biggest question mark to me is Brown over Sean. I would still pick Sean over Brown if we had the choice.

Overall, three solid additions to a freshman class oozing with NBA talent.

Reactions: christophero
I don’t know if I’d pick Stewart over Brown I think they are dead even but Brown has the experience. We will see what Stewart does at Ohio State before I can say he’s better than Brown .

Never said he's better, just that I prefer Sean if I had a choice. Brown will be a solid addition, but Sean has another level of ability

Think Gillis is a huge upgrade over Power. Roach vs James is a tougher one to judge. Big upgrade on defense from Roach to James, but it’s too early to tell regarding Roach on offense vs James on offense. I would still take Stewart over Brown just from an upside perspective. Maybe Brown is more stable throughout the season, but Stewart has the chance to have some huge games and/or season.
Agree with all you said here. Three really good additions to the team though!

I wished Stewart stuck around but I didn’t trust (and assume Duke staff felt the same given going hard on brown) that he was ready for 20+ minutes a game next year. He was still figuring things out and would love to have had him as a starter as a junior. I don’t love that we lost him but I understand the staffs decision to get someone more ready to start.

I will take Brown over Srewart, after what I saw Brown do in Cameron last season.

OFC
I hear ya, hart. I think Brown will really help this team and will give us solid production. Stewart's ceiling is much higher though and I was in the camp he didn't get enough burn last year. Browns game in Cameron was easily his best of the year that's for sure.

I watched some Gillis footage yesterday. He is a strong guy and plays hard, but definitely a Young type role player; if better. He seems a bit slow and is more of a spot up shooter than a guy who is going to hunt his shot off the dribble. His teammates didn't really look for him on offense but he could shoot and make a 3 if left open. I would predict he likely comes off the bench and plays about 12-15 minutes per game as a solid role player. He scored 20 points in the tournament. Great team guy, more of a complimentary piece who can be a leader. Solid defender who looks like he could defend the 4 position. Did not score in the finals and had 5 in the semifinals. He did score 20 against Rutgers last year so is capable of putting up points. I think he averaged 6 and 5. He is not afraid to get on the floor or mix it up down low. He has had 2 knee surgeries that may explain the lack of explosiveness. Was a 4 star high school recruit. Looks like a nice veteran role player and high character guy. Jon is targeting a specific type of player through the portal and I like it. Based on what I have seen Sion and Brown will likely be ahead of him in the rotation, but Gillis will get minutes as a glue guy.
BTW I watched the title game extended highlights and UConn just seems on another level than everyone else.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT