ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Fan state of mind

GTHC_ GTH!

All American
Oct 5, 2011
Go read the thread on THR about Duke wearing Dean Smith shirts for tonight's game. THe first response is the typical Carolina fan.

The irony is thick. They want to bring notice to the wolf pack fans that were talking garbage about smith even after his passing, saying how low class and scum they were. yet here they are doing the exact same thing. Pathetic and typical.

Originally posted by dukiejay:

Originally posted by timo0402:
The irony is thick.
True. But I don't think a lot of them notice the difference. They're not smart enough.
I doubt most of them even know what the word, "irony" means.

Thats not fair...I asked a UNC fan the other day if he knew what "irony" meant...he said "yeah...its like when something is made of metal...you know its all irony."

Originally posted by RanDEVILman:
Thats not fair...I asked a UNC fan the other day if he knew what "irony" meant...he said "yeah...its like when something is made of metal...you know its all irony."
Unless, of course, it's blue steel.

The funny part is I didn't even have to make this. Someone already did. I did a google search for "Stay Classy UNC" and this popped up. Apparently, their lack of class is well-known. "Class" has multiple meanings in the previous sentence.

UNC fans truly crack me up. We honor Dean & they have a problem with that. Dean was all class, seems that has not carried on to current Heel fans. Keep thinking your better than everyone else UNC & enjoy the NCAA academic sanctions.

Originally posted by Laettner:
UNC fans truly crack me up. We honor Dean & they have a problem with that. Dean was all class, seems that has not carried on to current Heel fans. Keep thinking your better than everyone else UNC & enjoy the NCAA academic sanctions.
correct me if i am wrong, but the true irony seems to be that the ncaa lacks the ability to impose academic sanctions.

Originally posted by tilador:
correct me if i am wrong, but the true irony seems to be that the ncaa lacks the ability to impose academic sanctions.
The NCAA makes up its own rules as it sees fit. See: Penn St.

I don't agree with that approach, but if they want to act with UNC they will. It's like the legal system; if there' s a will, there's a way. Just have to find the grey area that makes it possible.

Tilador, I certainly have no issue with you personally. I just happen to know quite a few Heel grads who are quick to demonize K for cursing, 'Cuse for their self-imposed ban & FSU/Miami for being criminals but when the conversation turns to UNC they immediately state the investigation is a witch hunt. Funniest part is, they in no way see the hypocrisy.

Originally posted by FearTheBeard:

I don't agree with that approach, but if they want to act with UNC they will. It's like the legal system; if there' s a will, there's a way. Just have to find the grey area that makes it possible.
penn st doesn't really apply as there was a direct connection with athletics just not on the field athletics. academic sanctions could be levied by the accrediting organization, scac or something like that, but the ncaa charter i believe specifically limits its ability to tread in academic affairs. would invite a good legal battle and perhaps induce a downward spiral in the ncaa's state of being. not a bad thing, jmho.

Originally posted by FearTheBeard:

penn st doesn't really apply as there was a direct connection with athletics just not on the field athletics. academic sanctions could be levied by the accrediting organization, scac or something like that, but the ncaa charter i believe specifically limits its ability to tread in academic affairs. would invite a good legal battle and perhaps induce a downward spiral in the ncaa's state of being. not a bad thing, jmho.
The Penn St. reference was to show that the NCAA acts as they please; not academics.

All the NCAA has to do is say that the players who participated in the fake classes lost their eligibility as a result, and then punish UNC for playing ineligible players. SU is currently under investigation for academic issues involving Fab Melo, among other things. The NCAA stripped Memphis of their 2008 season because Rose was (retroactively) ineligible academically, but predicated the decision on other grounds (IIRC) in order to work around the limitations placed on them. If the NCAA wants to get involved with academic issues, they will. I just don't think they will. They don't want to touch one of their darlings. It's like Tarkanian said a long time ago, "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it will probably slap another two years probation on Cleveland State.'' Just change Kentucky to UNC.

This post was edited on 2/18 2:08 PM by FearTheBeard

I've got a couple of shirts that the wife over irons a lot, way too irony.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT