ADVERTISEMENT

Zion is the best player in at least a decade

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Right now it’s easily Anthony Davis. If Zion leads the team to a title and POY and puts up even better numbers/impact in the NBA then he will take the mantle

That article is making the rounds on twitter already. UK fans are screaming what about Anthony Davis all over twitter.

Right now it’s easily Anthony Davis. If Zion leads the team to a title and POY and puts up even better numbers/impact in the NBA then he will take the mantle
Yeah but Nate Silver doesn't lie. His numbers to me look accurate.
I gotta lean with Nate here over some random UK fan's opinion......

I love Zion but I don’t agree. You can make the argument he’s not even the best player on this team.

"I love Zion but I don’t agree. You can make the argument he’s not even the best player on this team."

Hmmm... Love to hear that one...

Except I’m a fan of basketball and watching it. Pretty sure I can bring up numbers to say a mid major is the best college player ever. Unlike you I don’t let my bias get in the way (I’m a Maryland fan) and I’m a big Zion fan but I tend to rate how good someone is via end of the year impact like leading team to a title. It’s why I used to have Shaq ahead of Lattener until watching made me switch (college).

AD has proven just how great he was, Zion could get there but after 10 games, well common sense isn’t that common I guess. By the numbers he’s better than Lattener as well (which I don’t agree)

Yeah but Nate Silver doesn't lie. His numbers to me look accurate.
I gotta lean with Nate here over some random UK fan's opinion......

Anthony Davis' NBA accomplishments are irrelevant to the analysis of who's the best college player. That analysis obviously should be limited to what the respective players do in college. You seem to have inferred that twice.

Otherwise the discussion needs to expand to Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, etc.

Silver's analysis is purely stat based. It doesn't look at things like leadership or team accomplishments. Based purely on numbers, Zion is a unique phenom and has the potential to be one of the best ever.

Zion and Anthony Davis both can impact a game without scoring. It would be great if his college year ends as Davis’s did.

To AD’s credit, he dominated in college while averaging 14 points a game.

Last edited:
I will rule on this in April.

Good post DukeDenver. Got to be really careful when making a statement like that after 10 games. It's so early in the season. We also need to be careful about this team also. I'm as excited as everyone about these guys. I really like them but I've always believed we have to take it one game at a time. Only 5 games now until Princeton. I can't wait. OFC

Just imagine if Zion ever develops a shot. Jesus.

Yes. Zion has all the physical attributes, intangibles (unselfish, high motor, etc.). Shooting ability will be the determining factor imo. He's got plenty of time to get better (Lebron wasn't a great shooter when he first entered the league...only .417 percent for the year).

OFC

Reactions: Mpm277 and skysdad
That article is making the rounds on twitter already. UK fans are screaming what about Anthony Davis all over twitter.

Nothing is allowed to surpass uk!
The cheesesteaks here are better than in philly and the chowder better than in New England!
Hell, even the Baskin Robins here has not 31, but 32 wonderful flavors!!!.....and they don't melt!!

Nothing is allowed to surpass uk!
The cheesesteaks here are better than in philly and the chowder better than in New England!
Hell, even the Baskin Robins here has not 31, but 32 wonderful flavors!!!.....and they don't melt!!
You must live here...Oh I see you do. You are speaking truth brother ;)

Hard not to like Zion....hard not to love him. He is definitely my favorite player on the team and I am usually biased towards point guard.

That said, we are10 games in. Happy to see how this season turns out.

Reactions: skysdad and Mac9192
Anthony Davis' NBA accomplishments are irrelevant to the analysis of who's the best college player. That analysis obviously should be limited to what the respective players do in college. You seem to have inferred that twice.

Otherwise the discussion needs to expand to Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, etc.

Anthony Davis has got a lot of boxes checked that have nothing to do with the NBA. Win a conference regular season and tournament title, NCAA Title and POY award, and then get selected #1. That’s what Zion’s got to do to beat Anthony Davis for best in 10 years.

Anthony Davis has got a lot of boxes checked that have nothing to do with the NBA. Win a conference regular season and tournament title, NCAA Title and POY award, and then get selected #1. That’s what Zion’s got to do to beat Anthony Davis for best in 10 years.

Jakarii alluded to Davis' NBA accomplishments, which, AGAIN, are not relevant. So I'm not sure why your post misses my point.

Actually it kind of makes my point for me.

Last edited:

Disagree. Conference and tournament title doesn’t matter... we play in the ACC, not the SEC, which has way more impact on winning that any one players contributions. Disagreed also on NCAA title and POY award... the competition you have in both is more important. Selected #1? Also disagree... that has as much to do with a bunch of players you have no impact on as your own performance. Plus, ADs stats in his year at Kentucky, and even his first year in the league, are good but not great, outside of his blocks.

Not saying Zion is better than AD, but a lot of those things don’t actually indicate who is a better player.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukesince91
I personally would never take RJ over Zion. And RJ is amazing at basketball.

Yes, but Olajuwon was number one in that draft.

Which puts it well above the drafts in which the top pick was LaRue Martin, Michael Olowokandi or Kwame Brown.

Touché
But I think it still makes the point that draft order is not a great qualifier

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT