ADVERTISEMENT

Your starters ?

We've seen lots of guys playing "up" a number -- a guard at the "3," a SF at the "4" -- but when was the last time a guy played down a number? Kyle's move to the 3?
Just indicating there was ANOTHER example besides the one w/Singler you noted of K "playing someone down" a position, per your verbage.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I just don't see it. Would that spread the floor enough?
We've seen lots of guys playing "up" a number -- a guard at the "3," a SF at the "4" -- but when was the last time a guy played down a number? Kyle's move to the 3? For all of Bagley's ability, I question whether a freshman power forward at Duke would be able to move to the wing effectively.
Matt and Grayson at the 1. Special circumstances, but still.
And I agree, I don't see the 3 bigs on the floor together because of spacing.

I might be in the minority on this but I would rather see Bagley/Carter as the bigs with Trent, Allen and Duval. Not so sure about Bolden/Carter/Bagley on the floor together.

I might be in the minority on this but I would rather see Bagley/Carter as the bigs with Trent, Allen and Duval. Not so sure about Bolden/Carter/Bagley on the floor together.
It certainly makes much more sense basketball wise. Bolden will have plenty of minutes this year, and maybe the three could play together in the rarest of ofcosions but you are correct- 2/3 of that group you'd expect to be on the court nearly the entire 40.

Matt and Grayson at the 1. Special circumstances, but still.
And I agree, I don't see the 3 bigs on the floor together because of spacing.
I see the 1 and 2 as largely interchangeable.
Yep, spacing is the thing w/ 3 bigs, especially if a freshman is the "3" b/c he's less likely to understand that. It worked in 2010 b/c Kyle (formerly a stretch-4 for us) had 2 years' experience in the system.

Just indicating there was ANOTHER example besides the one w/Singler you noted of K "playing someone down" a position, per your verbage.
Yeah. Kyle is the most recent one I'd say qualifies, unless we want to claim Rodney Hood is really a 3 or that Brandon Ingram is really a 4.

I see the 1 and 2 as largely interchangeable.
Given how successful that was, I don't think this is correct. I am one, unfortunately, who agrees that one of our issues last season was not having a true point guard. Grayson at the 1 for long stretches I think just isn't going to get it done. Duval may be the player we can least afford to lose next season.

Yep, spacing is the thing w/ 3 bigs, especially if a freshman is the "3" b/c he's less likely to understand that. It worked in 2010 b/c Kyle (formerly a stretch-4 for us) had 2 years' experience in the system.
This I think is totally correct.

Reactions: Dattier
I don't think you're in the minority at all. I think the trauma of some bad rebounding years has some people longing for the days that a SF was much more post-oriented.

Now, if Bolden comes out gangbusters and we don't get significant contributions from Tucker, White, or Javin... it makes it more possible that we'd see Bagley at the 3 at least a little bit. That's a lot of things to break a certain way, though.

Given how successful that was, I don't think this is correct. I am one, unfortunately, who agrees that one of our issues last season was not having a true point guard. Grayson at the 1 for long stretches I think just isn't going to get it done. Duval may be the player we can least afford to lose next season.
Oh, no, I agree w/ that. I don't mean that individual players can play each position equally, just that I don't really see it as playing "down" so much as a natural (but stretch) 4 playing on the wing w/ 2 bigs, or a legit 3 seeing much time at the 2 in a 2-guard line-up.

Reactions: dukephysics
It's not really a question of whether K will play a guy "down" a position or not, but rather how common it is. Guys play "up" at Duke more often than they play "down." I think Bagley at the 3 is unlikely to happen often. He would show certain skills more associated w/ 3s, but having 2 other bigs out there w/ him? I doubt it.
I do not think it is as much of a function of K's strategy as it is a function of the fact that there just are not a lot of 3's and 4's who have the skills to play at 1 or 2.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I do not think it is as much of a function of K's strategy as it is a function of the fact that there just are not a lot of 3's and 4's who have the skills to play at 1 or 2.

Very true....The Grant Hill types are fairly rare...

OFC

Go Vrank!! I don't know how much burn he'll get next year but him and Javin will be key for how Duke does in 2018-19 regardless of what recruits we bring in.

2019 isn't supposed to be a good class for big men and I see a senior Vrank potentially being better than all of them.

I was gonna ask the where is Big V question as well.....thanks....i assumed he was out of the country

Starters
1. Duval
2. Grayson
3. Trent JR
4. Bagley III
5. Carter (though Bolden here wouldn't shock me)

Big
1. Duval
2. Grayson
3. Bagley III
4. Carter
5. Bolden

Scoring (were down 5 with 2 min to go, hopefully never happens)
1. Duval
2. Grayson
3. Tucker
4. Trent JR
5. Bagley III

Reactions: DBM0828
Yea, I'm digging Duval , Allen, Carter , Bagley , Bolden. If we don't outrebound teams this year I'm gonna be pissed.

Reactions: dbav and Skeelow22
I think there's a conversation about which line up gets the most minutes.

Starters (could be)
Duval
Grayson
Bagley
Carter
Bolden

Most minutes together in a game (just bc it adds another shooter)
Duval
Grayson
Trent
Bagley
Carter

It will be most interesting to see how K uses Javin and Vrank.

Also, Jordan G looked pretty good running the team and Alex is so thin but can play (may not contribute though) and there is Jordan T & Jack.

Yea, I'm digging Duval , Allen, Carter , Bagley , Bolden. If we don't outrebound teams this year I'm gonna be pissed.

Sometimes having three tallish guards who like to mix it up in the paint is the best way to dominate the boards. I feel like Trent is that guy. Allen needs to not piss around when shots are in the air, which he sometimes does if his shot isn't falling. Duval just needs to get the ball in his hands quickly to setup easy dunks on the other end.

Sometimes having three tallish guards who like to mix it up in the paint is the best way to dominate the boards. I feel like Trent is that guy. Allen needs to not piss around when shots are in the air, which he sometimes does if his shot isn't falling. Duval just needs to get the ball in his hands quickly to setup easy dunks on the other end.
Tucker too, he has the bulk and length to be a great rebounder as a guard. Granted he will be a freshman on a very short leash, so we may not see his rebounding potential this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT