ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. One Week and Duke's Recruiting Class Skyrockets!

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
From two quality players in Jeter and Kennard, now they add Thornton, Ingram and Vrankovic.

Lots of players for next year now. Another interesting question as to who steps up and garners minutes. Obviously, Robinson and Vrankovic won't get many minutes.
G - Thornton
G - Grayson Allen
G/F - Matt Jones
G - Kennard
F - Jefferson
F - Ingram
F - Robinson (walk-on)
F/C - Jeter
F/C - Obi
C - Plumlee
C - Vrankovic

I think Duke's D is going to be pretty tremendous. Thornton will probably bring the best guard D in years - perhaps since Duhon.

And, Ingram is quick and long and will play on the wing.

What is great about this years class is that it fills needs, to go along with talent. This is an impressive class. Ingram and Kennard are pretty gifted scorers and Thornton is a leader. Down the road Vrank and potentially Robinson may be contributors as well. Obi becomes eligible for front court toughness. A lot to like.

I think Duke's D is going to be pretty tremendous. Thornton will probably bring the best guard D in years - perhaps since Duhon.

And, Ingram is quick and long and will play on the wing.

Agree. Everything I've heard about Derryck is that he's great defensively, and Brandon has that incredibly long wingspan...is like 7'2" or 7'3"? Could really get some live ball turnovers and turn them into points.

OFC

Reactions: youngman42
What is great about this years class is that it fills needs, to go along with talent. This is an impressive class. Ingram and Kennard are pretty gifted scorers and Thornton is a leader. Down the road Vrank and potentially Robinson may be contributors as well. Obi becomes eligible for front court toughness. A lot to like.

Yeah, I'm loving the way we seem to be putting together a great class after being depleted from our National Championship run. Obi One is a player I'm really looking forward to seeing play. If he's able to rebound close to what he has in the past, then we'll be looking good imo.

OFC

I agree Dirt. We are going to have some great scorers, but like you, I am really intrigued by Obi. The guy looks to be as strong as an ox.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Definitely an incredible job by the staff. Not sure the 2015 class is quite good enough to make us as strong as last year, but staff's basically done as well as anyone could hope for under the circumstances. The Thornton and Ingram commitments definitely do vault us back into the conversation for big things next year.

Definitely an incredible job by the staff. Not sure the 2015 class is quite good enough to make us as strong as last year, but staff's basically done as well as anyone could hope for under the circumstances. The Thornton and Ingram commitments definitely do vault us back into the conversation for big things next year.

You're on the money, Aah. I was (and still am) feeling great about the National Championship, but it felt like we were going to have to pay for it this coming season (not that it wasn't worth it). Now, it seems like we've been resurrected with the great work of the coaching staff. We may not have a season like this year, but we're going to be pretty dang good imo.

OFC

I really believe Ingram changes everything. This team will be special. Yes we can't replace the 4 we lost. But this team is going to be really good in my opinion. Defense will be sick with this group. If DT is mature enough to be an instant leader at the point, we will be very tough to beat down the stretch. Oh, did I mention we have a pretty good coaching staff as well. Go Duke!

Reactions: youngman42
What I like about this team is that there will also be some leadership from Plumlee, Amile, and Jones. Factor in Allen will be in his second year I imagine the learning curve will be accelerated for these freshmen even if they are maybe not quite as talented as the last class. Plumlee, Amile, Jones and Allen can play a lot right away until the freshmen catch up, especially defensively. I'd imagine this will be another really good team....

Players I'm most excited to watch next year:

1) Obi - I get the feeling, especially nationally, nobody knows the beast that I, and many of you, think will be unleashed in this big fella.

2) Ingram - Just as Winslow was the key factor this year in the tournament, I think Ingram will be able to be that much of a presence on games. Rather than doing it with sheer power and athleticism though, Ingram will do it with his crazy length.

3) Kennard - Of the big 4 recruits he's the lowest rated. Just like Grayson though I have a feeling he'll definitely make a name for himself.

4) Jefferson - Amile has always done what the team needs. Starting the season with two somewhat unknowns in Jeter and Obi I think Jefferson will be really leaned on to be our backbone much like Quinn this year. I foresee a blossoming from Amile the likes of which we've seen before in Quinn and Nolan. I think the inconsistency will be a thing of the past for him and I'm hoping that midrange jumper can be developed this summer into a real weapon for him, which will open up his ability to pump fake and then use his savvy finishing ability at the rim.

5) Grayson - Could be scary good. Hoping he puts a few Tarholes on a poster.

I could just list everyone, but those are the guys right now that I'm really looking forward to seeing. Obviously Jeter and Thornton could have made this list and for some of you are #1 probably.

I think what is most intriguing to me, is that we will have the ability to have so many different combinations to throw at teams, that it will make it very difficult to prepare for us.
We will be able to "bang" or "finesse", whichever is called for in any given situation. I also think Obi will be a beast on the boards, and when he and Plumlee are in the game together, I have a pretty good idea who will control the boards!!
Hopefully, we can get that 2 for 2 rotation down low (like the 2010 team), so we can stay fresh and have extra fouls to give.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Sean Obi is no Jahlil Okafor, but he can go pound for pound with Kennedy Meeks or any other dominant big, a role MP3 could do also, just not for extended minutes.

I agree Brandon Ingram provides so much flexibilty a la Mike Dunelavy and of cource Derryck Thornton partially fills a gaping hole at PG.

Brandon and Grayson provide the potential to be the unstoppabel force Justise could be end to end.

These guys would be forces potentially pulling in opposite directions without the cohesive upper class Duke-way leadership of the tri-captains Matt, Amile and Marshall.

Whether it's this year or/and future years, Luke Kennard and Chase Jeter will make Duke proud, with this likely being a non-meidcal red shirt apprentice year for Antonio and son of the Admiral as they continue their progression to ACC caliber players.

So yes, another very competitive Top 25 or better Duke squad with unmatched coaching at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT