ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the most upset over Duke cutting down the nets in 2015?

Which fanbase was the most upset to see Duke cut down the nets in 2015?

• UNC - Natural first choice. Tied them for 5 all-time (YMCA titles don't count).

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • KY - 38 and DOH! 2nd time in 5 years Duke won it all when KY was the favorite.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Wisconsin - Ruined probably their only chance to win a title under Bo "Baby" Ryan

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other - Post your selection

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

FearTheBeard

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2010
I'd say UNC, but I think they may have been a little distracted by the investigation into their corrupt "school." I'm not saying #5 didn't cause a great deal of butthurt, but the NCAA announcement shortly after the title may have shifted their focus. KY had its dream season ended, but not by Duke. By the team that Duke beat twice this year. So, they may be more butthurt at Wisky. Now, Wisconsin and it's temper-tantrum throwing coach are probably the most upset. I doubt we see Wisky in another F4 anytime soon. This was their last chance for a while. Other schools that might be upset are KU (putting some distance between two schools that were tied at 3 NCs 6 years ago), IU (knocking them down the list of all-time greats), and MD (just b/c it's MD).

I'm going with Wisconsin.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I would have to say toss up between the cheaters and the paper champs. Unx for obvious reasons, but KY probably already had t-shirts printed. If I had to pick just one, my vote would be for our buds down the road. To be mired up in all that corruption, then see your rivals cut down the nets has to be devastating. Not to mention Roy's daddy is killing him on the recruiting trail.....ouch!

OFC

I picked UNC because their fans have always loved throwing it in our faces that they had 1 more title than we did but now we've got as many title as they do so they can't throw it in our faces anymore, well except for the fans that count the Helms Trophy as their 6th title.

John Calapari. That guy deep down knows that Coach K cutting down the nets with three true freshmen starters was a catapult to recruiting. Coach K and Capel were already tearing up the recruiting trail and winning that title with those freshmen only added to the momentum. So in my opinion, Calapari is the most upset.

UNC fans. If you claim to be an UNC fan and are not out raged whenever Duke wins anything you are not an UNC fan. They are Tar Heel fans. They can't help it. It's their nature. Bless their hearts. Good poll. OFC

To me, this is an easy answer. Since UNC-CH's last title in 09, it has really been all Duke. Two titles and pretty thorough domination in the rivalry. Meanwhile, they are suffering a monumental black-eye and a complete redefinition of their perception (to everyone besides themselves - they are largely naive and oblivious). All of this has been very hard on them.

To me, this is an easy answer. Since UNC-CH's last title in 09, it has really been all Duke. Two titles and pretty thorough domination in the rivalry. Meanwhile, they are suffering a monumental black-eye and a complete redefinition of their perception (to everyone besides themselves - they are largely naive and oblivious). All of this has been very hard on them.

exactly! we are the best team in college bball and cheaters are on a fast decline towards irrelevancy...

tarholes, will be even worse if they have to take down two of their championship banners . hey, I can always hope.

Awesome poll. All 3 such worthy candidates! I picked UNC...just because...well...you know! But UK was the greatest team of all time...and well...you know. And Wisconsin they did it the 'right way' (no 1 and dones, didn't foul...couldn't foul...Cryin' Ryan...hahaha...well...you know)! Hey...can I vote again? 'Cause they all deserved being punked by the Devils and K!:D

OFC

Reactions: JCColsCane
Kentucky. They claim that had they not lost they would've beaten duke. Even though we beat wiscy twice and coach k is 7-1 against the slime ball

UNC fans. If you claim to be an UNC fan and are not out raged whenever Duke wins anything you are not an UNC fan. They are Tar Heel fans. They can't help it. It's their nature. Bless their hearts. Good poll. OFC
This should be the clear winner IMO. UK fans would have been angry with whoever won the title if it was not them. Wisky as well. UNC has more of a personal stake in this. The rivalry is trump in this case.

The bitterness, the pure unadulterated hatred and ignorance of UNC fans on the whole makes this a no brainer for me. We only win b/c of the refs, K berating the refs to submission, getting the most favorable brackets, the other team being down, the refs, 'DSPN', Dickey V- excuse me Dukie V, the unfair advantages of USA basketball, the refs, and before i forget, the refs.

They're a sorry sorry excuse for a fan base right now. Blaming everybody else, instead of looking in the mirror and realizing their own institution brought this on themselves. Blame negative recruiting all you want, but i'm pretty sure you wouldn't be in this position in the first place if your prized academic university didn't make up a major and steer athletes to it for two decades.

The bitterness, the pure unadulterated hatred and ignorance of UNC fans on the whole makes this a no brainer for me. We only win b/c of the refs, K berating the refs to submission, getting the most favorable brackets, the other team being down, the refs, 'DSPN', Dickey V- excuse me Dukie V, the unfair advantages of USA basketball, the refs, and before i forget, the refs.

They're a sorry sorry excuse for a fan base right now. Blaming everybody else, instead of looking in the mirror and realizing their own institution brought this on themselves. Blame negative recruiting all you want, but i'm pretty sure you wouldn't be in this position in the first place if your prized academic university didn't make up a major and steer athletes to it for two decades.
Nobody and I mean nobody has ever gotten breaks from the refs like the tarholes over the years. Not just in BB , but football as well. Hope they get screwed to the wall by the NCAA. I can't fault them for hating Duke. I feel the same way about them..

I'd say UK by a large margin. UK fans believed with every bone in their body that their team was destined to go 40-0 and go down in history as one of the greatest teams ever assembled. They would have been upset by anyone taking their title away from them, but to see that destiny interrupted by Duke must be brutal for them. Aside from Louisville, not sure there could have been a worse team to take the title away from them.

As for UNC, I just don't think their fans were nearly as invested in this season -- as, I think most of them entered the NCAAs realizing that (i) they were not going to win a title, and (ii) that a team they didn't like (Duke or UK) was very likely to win the championship. While I'm sure they would have preferred UK to Duke, my guess is a lot of UNC fans went with the approach of just shutting off the TV and ignoring the NCAAs -- whereas, I'm not sure UK fans could do that after how invested they all seemed to get in making history.

A very easy answer for me. I dislike both UK and UNCheats but UK is pretty much just a national competitor of ours. Sure they have a huge and obnoxious fan base but they are many miles from me in North Carolina and as another poster said, Coach K is 7 wins and just 1 loss against them (which I didn't realize) so they are pretty irrelevant against us. Now UNCheats is another story as I grew up a fan of the Big Four in North Carolina and didn't really have a truly favorite team until Laettner and Hurley came to Duke and I became an instant Duke fan. I still pulled for UNCheats and NC State and Wake because they were North Carolina teams. I am now ashamed to say that I pulled for UNCheats in the 2009 National Championship run and was foolishly a big Tyler Hansbrough fan. My daughters boyfriends parents had season tickets in Chaped Hill and I got to see several games free but this is where I began to understand how sissy UNCheats fans were and how they thought their players were godly and could do no wrong. When I left the Nose Dome each time I disliked their holy than thou fans which grew through out the 2010 season when I joined this board.
No team in America can hate Duke as much as UNCheats does and this makes our success so much more enjoyable for me and my fellow Dukies. I love to see them wallow in disgrace and hope the penalties are large and numerous for them. No team can possible hate us as much as UNCheats does and as Jackie Gleason used to say, "how sweet it is".

Reactions: hpnole and skysdad
Great poll! I voted UNC but all 3 have a valid argument.

Maryland has to be a contender. The amount of venom they are capable of is kinda alarming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT