ADVERTISEMENT

What Should We Expect From Chase Jeter?

dbav

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2014
I've read a lot about Kennard and Thornton recently. I was just curious as to what we should expect from Jeter. I see he is ranked in the top 15 in basically every ranking and I've read here that he has a fairly polished offensive game and solid defensive game.

I'm just curious if those who have seen him play could give an idea of what should be expected next year? Thanks.

With this year being a relatively weak class, you almost have to downgrade the rating of 15 a tad to equalize, but still a top recruit.

I can't really answer your question other than it seems strange that he and Zimmerman are both listed as highly rated centers but played for the same team.

Though possibly the most talented of the four, Chase has more experienced competition in MP3, Amile and Sean Obi (who was able to learn the Duke system sitting out last year plus had near double double at Rice the year before) for the post positions, on a team not very experienced overall.

He may also have competition at PF from the frail Ingram to make room for so many talented offensive perimeter guys.

My guess is that due to numbers, Chase gets spot minutes this year similar to say Ryan Kelly who was similarly rated, though their games are very different, and then gets primary minutes in succeeding years, but I will defer to others who have seen him play.

Last edited:
The 5 spot is the most intriguing battle on the team I think. It is the place where there are the most questions. There are questions on the perimeter about whether Allen and Jones starts, or if both do, but there is no doubt they both will play a lot regardless. It will be very interesting to see who ends up being the primary guy in the post. They all bring different attributes, and none really stands out at this point.

The intriguing thing about him and Ingram is that both cpuld actually be in the 2016 class. They don't turn 18 until September. I don't know if that's going to matter much next year but it's something when both are consensus top 15 when compared to older players, some, like Luke, are more than a year older than both Jeter and Ingram.

Of the post players on our roster next season Chase is probably the most advanced offensively, or about on par with Amile. I expect the bulk of our scoring is going to come from the perimeter, or from players most comfortable out there or facing up....like Ingram.

One more thing, I like Chase's ceiling better than the other three post players. He will have some games where he looks really good and then others where he looks like a freshman.

Chase is much different than the other post players. He has a solid low post game where he will go to his baby hook shot, he has good foot work that keeps improving and good hands. He probably a better athlete than any of the other post guy . He rebounds the ball well and does have a face up game.
As the 5- Chase is not as big or strong (Chase is 6-11 240) as Marshall but has better hands and more polished offensively. Chase is not the rebounder of Obi and again no where near as strong but Chase has better mobility and can defend the 4 away from the basket. Chase is not as offensively gifted as Antionio in the paint but Chase is much more fit and mobile.

At the 4: Chase is much bigger and stronger than Amile and he can shot the ball facing the basket. He won't rebound like Amile but he and the 5 can easily switch off.

I think he will definitely get minutes and there is some talk of Duke platooning the bigs. The early guess is Marshall/Amile and Obi/Chase.

I almost guarantee he gets more than spot minutes

This^. I think Jeter is going to be hard to keep off the floor. He is very active, has great foot work, and an eye for the basket.
As someone said above, I believe we will "platoon" our big men this year, which to me will be good since we have a lot of depth. It may take awhile to sort things out, but I am excited about the talent we have and depth all over the floor.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I will second and guarantee that Chase gets far more than spot minutes. He will start (at some point) at the 5. He is very polished offensively and will present challenges to heavier, slower bigs that try to check him.

Reactions: pisgah101
I think he will be an asset for sure. He proibably will make some

He's gonna be different than Jah that's for sure but in his own way he will make us better as the season goes. Be nice to have him around for at least 3 years. OFC

I think we'll get a really mature guy, who can rebound hard and play good D. I don't think he's going to score more than 10per his 1st year. That doesn't mean he won't get minutes though. I think he, Amile and Plum3 will see equal time, with Obi getting 8-10 as guys need out. That rotation will shoot a very high % on limited attempts and get tons of offensive boards. That will allow the guards to play bananas.

Reactions: DukeJim99
As the 5- Chase is not as big or strong (Chase is 6-11 240) as Marshall but has better hands and more polished offensively. Chase is not the rebounder of Obi and again no where near as strong but Chase has better mobility and can defend the 4 away from the basket. Chase is not as offensively gifted as Antionio in the paint but Chase is much more fit and mobile.

Who doesn't? Seriously, I love Plumlee but his hands. Oh jesus, his hands.

I think we'll get a really mature guy, who can rebound hard and play good D. I don't think he's going to score more than 10per his 1st year. That doesn't mean he won't get minutes though. I think he, Amile and Plum3 will see equal time, with Obi getting 8-10 as guys need out. That rotation will shoot a very high % on limited attempts and get tons of offensive boards. That will allow the guards to play bananas.

I always like when our guards play bananas. :)

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
What I expect from Chase is that he represents Duke University well, and plays hard. What I hope for is that he gives us a post presence, rebounds, plays good defense, blocks a few shots, and makes his fts.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT