ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Academic Probation??

Please tell me this is not the only punishment that is coming down on them

The UNC coaches in any sport are not required to keep up with academics so therefore they don't.

There is absolutely no reason for Roy Williams to ask nor care about the academic status of his 5 starters going into the second semester, smack in the middle of basketball season. Why would he even want to know what their GPA was in the first semester and how that could impact the second semester?

Then again, the fact UNC never had a player academically ineligible in basketball may be the exact reason that he did not have to know.

The system took care of it....LOIC

Last edited:
this is a separate punishment on the entire university by the SACS separate from NCAA punishments which will come later for UNC...SAC will recheck with them in 1 year and if they don't meet their requirements then UNC will lose accreditation and every UNC degree will be considered invalid & all pubic funding will be cut as well...as per SAC president its the worst punishment ever given by them

basically their academic reputation is being completely tarnished by the scandal...they will never be considered among the top public universities in the country ever again

this is a separate punishment on the entire university by the SACS separate from NCAA punishments which will come later for UNC...SAC will recheck with them in 1 year and if they don't meet their requirements then UNC will lose accreditation and every UNC degree will be considered invalid & all pubic funding will be cut as well...as per SAC president its the worst punishment ever given by them

basically their academic reputation is being completely tarnished by the scandal...they will never be considered among the top public universities in the country ever again

Thanks for the insight. I didn't think that this was the end. Hopefully the NCAA hits them with a huge penalty.

SACS Puts UNC On Probation

What a sad day for the state of North Carolina, the university and the ACC.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools has hit UNC with probation.

UNC was praised for making reforms, but the head of the Association, Belle Whelan, said this:

"It's a big deal. This issue was bigger than anything with which we’ve ever dealt, and it went on for longer than anything else. This is the first one I can recall in the 10 years I’ve been here that we put an institution on probation for academic fraud or academic integrity."

That's pretty sad. And the saddest part? If UNC had stood up at the beginning and been proactive, a lot of this could have been avoided.

Instead we've seen years - years! - of obfuscation, of weaseling, of trying to minimize the damage, and all it's done is made it worse.

In North Carolina, the people's university, an institution in which all North Carolinians can take pride (we're no longer talking about silly sports rivalries) has done itself great damage and embarrassed all of us.

We'll have more later, but probation? It's a disgrace.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/6/11/8767531/sacs-puts-unc-on-probation

CHQwD2cXAAAyGH4.jpg

unx fans are disgusting. This one tries to polish a turd. The ESPN guy ain't havin' it. Lulz...

Ryan McGee ‏@ESPNMcGee

unc's probation by Southern Association of Colleges is huge deal w/educators. It's the org that says "You're a legit school".

Bryan Ives ‏@awaytoworthy

@ESPNMcGee the concern was if SACS would revoke accreditation. They did not. Essentially a warning.

Ryan McGee ‏@ESPNMcGee

@awaytoworthy But a warning that's never handed out. Lotta shame. Won't cost recruits but will some profs. Revoke was never going to happen.

Bryan Ives ‏@awaytoworthy

@ESPNMcGee agree revoke was never going to happen and this is as bold as SACS was going to be.Think those profs are all gone already.

Ryan McGee‏@ESPNMcGee

@awaytoworthy Yep. And hiring any all-stars in immediate future will be hard.

Here's another jabroni. Yes , it's real. Gawd...

DrillandFillHeel wrote:

We found and self reported a long standing breach in academic integrity. I think we deserve and I have no problem with SACS putting us on probation. We have already made strides and will continued to fix the problem. This is checks and balances. Because of all this, I have little doubt we are currently running the cleanest academic/athletic program in the country. Yep it is a black eye in the court of public opinion, but we chose this by being fully transparent. Speaking of which, has there yet to be a single article commending UNC for their honesty and transparency in a culture where covering up or closing off is rewarded???

The "public ivy" is now forever linked with all the schools they used to look down on. Their peers...

Alabama State University, Montgomery, Alabama
The Art Institute of Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia
The Art Institute of Houston, Houston, Texas
Bethel University, McKenzie, Tennessee
Emmanuel Christian Seminary, Johnson City, Tennessee
Erskine College, Due West, South Carolina
Georgetown College, Georgetown, Kentucky
Interdenominational Theological Center, Atlanta, Georgia
Miami International University of Art & Design, Miami, Florida
Mid-Continent University, Mayfield, Kentucky
Norfolk State University, Norfolk, Virginia
South University, Savannah, Georgia

More...

Dan Kane ‏@dankanenando

The commission that accredits UNC has found it violated seven standards, including academic integrity, failure to monitor sports.

https://twitter.com/dankanenando

Any hole trying to downplay this is a fool. Seven violations. Hang a banner...

A week after the NCAA leveled five major allegations against UNC-Chapel Hill, an accrediting body has handed down 12 months of probation against the university for failing to meet seven accreditation standards, including academic integrity and control of athletics.

“It’s the most serious sanction we have,” said Belle Wheelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

It’s unusual for a major U.S. research university to be sanctioned by an accrediting body.

The only step more severe than imposing probation would be for SACS to revoke a university’s accreditation. That rarely happens, and because it means a loss of eligibility for federal funds, it typically ends with a college shutting down.

The commission cited seven of those standards in its decision about probation: overall integrity; program content; control of intercollegiate athletics; academic support services; academic freedom; faculty role in governance; and compliance with provisions in federal financial aid law.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article23751628.html

"Academic Support Services." The tutors for the jocks. The very same sleazeballs that B-Rad has defended. SACS differs with his assessment.

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
12771 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 7:56 PM

Re: unc Licked by SACS, [1 year probation, MAX Penalty]

SACS did all the damage they could do without destroying the whole system. Now the ncaa can cripple the program (MBB) that caused The University to blame academics when a cheating for athletic banners was behind the scandal. Only a fool would believe that unc would have had these fake classes if they had no athletics.

unc wanted the academic side blamed and unc needs to be prepared now for justice to be rendered on the athletic side. I have the utmost confidence that if ncaa goes light on penalties then unc is in for a long dark journey. Follow the money.

GernBlanston2
Hole Fan
142 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 5:46 PM

It is interesting that the quote is that this is the worst they have ever seen yet the penalty was probation? They have revoked accreditation at 14 schools in the past year. Those 14 have got to be PISSED!

st8dukegrad87
Bench Warmer
2199 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 7:57 PM

Those were revoked due to financial issues. unc-CH has the proud distinction to be placed on probation due to lack of academic integrity. I am not aware of ANY major research institution that has been placed on accreditation probation (one step away from removal of accreditation) due to lack of academic integrity.

good post. This action might also have the effect of making the NCAA come down harder than I believe they would have. Now they cannot just give a slap on the wrist-at least I hope. I really believe that if this were ECU, Happy Appy , or one of the other schools in the system, the NCAA would not be a bit bashful about really killing them..

I am completely stunned that the academics/state government has not completely stopped this in its tracks . Schools will mess around with NCAA stuff, but risking accreditation is an absolute non-starter. Everyone in the UNC-CH leadership should be immediately fired for letting it come to this. I have a graduate degree from UNC-CH - this is embarrassing to everyone in the state and ever went to the school.

Many on the the UNC-we-Cheat board are saying this is not a bad deal for unc as its an academic rather than an athletic problem and they simply lose a little honor. They have fallen so low in honor and integrity but unfortunately all many want is salvation for Mens Basketball. I think the true UNC alumni might feel a little differently than the dihard basketball fans.

As a North Carolina native I am ashamed that the world will associate the state I was born in with UNC-CH.

'Bob Lee Says' compares Carol Folt to Hester Prynne of the 'Scarlet Letter' fame...only 'P' for probation. I thought that was a nice idea for a pic. They don't care about academics...as long as they save their love child.

Carol%20Folt%20Scarlet%20P%20UNC%20Baby%20is%20Safe2.jpg

OFC

Here's the Bob Lee link. Lee's a unx alum too. Disgusted by his alma mater. Too bad there's not more like 'im...

The Dreaded P-word …. OMG!!!

We all awoke this Friday morning to A Different World. A world that Kindly Bill Friday, Choo Choo Justice and Hinton James never imagined. A world in which The Vaunted Flagship is ON PROBATION.

SACS – Southern Association of Colleges and Schools – has levied the Lesser of its two possible penalties – Probation – on The University of The People.

The Greater of SACS two possible penalties – Utter Annihilation – is reserved for any of its member institutions that would even consider asking Rush Limbaugh to deliver its commencement address.
THAT dreaded hammer has never been dropped and likely never will be.

PROBATION is bad enough for a once, forever and always overtly arrogant institution that has thrived on a steady diet of self-righteous adoration for over 200 years. But not to be dismayed…..

Within minutes of the announcement of The Verdict, t-shirt emporiums along quaint Franklin Street were selling t’s proclaiming “carolina = The #1 Most Wonderfulest Public Ivy to Ever Be Probationized”.

Meanwhile from her expansive corner office-suite in South Building, unc’s diminutive Chancellor-ette Carol (“From Dartmouth”) Folt surveyed her volumnious collection of “I Care… I Really Really Care” lapel ribbons before placing them in a El Producto cigar box and locking said box in a bottom drawer. For the duration of her institution’s PROBATION, Madame Folt a/k/a “Chancellor Chihuahua” will be Chapel Hill’s version of Hester Prynne.

Yea verily…. as with the adulterous heroine of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s epic opus – The Scarlet Letter – Carol “Hester” Folt must now wear “a P” as her daily lapel adornment. It could have been worse. (Aside… I hope one day to have an “epic opus”. Maybe this will be mine ?)

SACS’s verdict noted seven “crimes against academia” perpetrated by unc-CH. Had there been the dreaded eight, Madame Folt would have had “the P” tattooed on her forehead…..like Those Inglorious Bastards carving swastikas on the foreheads of the Nazis.

The Magnificent Seven Principles that SACS said unc-CH violated were (1) integrity – (2) program content – (3) control of intercollegiate athletics – (4) academic support services – (5) academic freedom – (6) faculty role in governance and (7) Title IV program responsibilities.

There is a Title IV? Didn’t you think there is only a Title IX? The mind reels what those other Titles might be.

One of’em specifies how many different “genders” every SACS member institution must have represented on its campus at any one time. The minimum now is six but is expected to rise to nine as soon as they can identity three more genders.

SACS officials did note that the terms of The Probation do NOT prohibit overly caffeinated and delusional uncCH partisans from continuing to be obnoxious and absurdly delusional when confronting opponents of the ABC persuasion. A spokesman for delusional uncers everywhere breathed a sigh of relief – “That is really all that matters” he noted.

unc Associate Vice Chancellor of Communication Rick “Foot in Mouth” White (who is the spokestoadie for unc Vice Chancellor Rick White uncof Communication Joel “$400,000/year” Curran) communicated that the SACS directive did applaud unc for its steadfast refusal to even acknowledge anyone who does not passionately support Barack Obama. “We are extremely proud of uncCH’s long record of excluding those who don’t think ‘like we do” White passionately noted. “Hester” Folt echoing Miller’s boast, chirped “Me too”.

Much to the chagrin of its legion of detractors, SACS did NOT require uncCH to remove its beloved “banners” that flutter merrily outside South Building. Fear of THAT had virtually paralyzed the unc Trustees in recent days.

…Q: BobLee, how can one tell if the unc BOT is paralyzed?
…A: I don’t know.

Nor did SACS levy a maximum on # of candlelight vigils the Flagship could hold per semester. “That would have certainly offended our twenty-six students who major in “Being Easily Offended” Chancellor “Prynne” said.

Asked if PROBATION might affect recruiting”of more radical left-wing anarchists to its faculty, Folt giggled and said “Gee willikers, I sure hope not.” Madame Folt thereby became the first “little tiny female” Chancellor of any unc System institution to ever say “Gee willikers”.

unc’s Provost James “The Bully” Dean stated he would like to go kick the crap outta the SACS. Joel Curran shot the fiery Provost with a tranquilizer dart.

Roy-Williams-1…. Caught during his daily campus jog, Roy “Two Rings” was non-plussed. “I’ve never heard of no gosh darn SACS. None of the outstanding youngsters I recruit have either so I don’t give a *&^%$^&*.” Joel Curran hastily loaded another dart. Roy then excused himself to take a call from Rick Barnes.

…. Over at the HQ for the “System” President (for-another-194 days) Tom Ross grimaced and muttered something about John Fennebresque’s mamma wearing combat boots. …. as Joel searched frantically for a 3rd dart.

Gene Nichol announced his new Center For Probation & Bombastic Bloviation. Joel, alas, was out of darts.

Collective Sighs of relief were sighed by former unc employees, clueless athletic directors and elaborate schemers Dickie, Jan, Deborah and Julius – known fondly as the Four Fat Pension Perps (FFPP). The FFPPs were worried their fat pensions might be adversely affected by the SACS verdict. “I was prepared to stomp my tassel loafer and scowl” Dickie said. As if The Flagship was not beleaguered enough.

At Elizabeth City State University, generally considered #18 of the 17 System members, officials broke out buttons noting: “Say what you will about us, but we ain’t on PROBATION.”

COUNTDOWN: Only 82 days until unc formally responds to the NCAA NOA.

http://bobleesays.com/2015/06/12/probation-omg/

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
These are blistering too...

Probation is sad verdict for unc-CH

Attention is focused on what the NCAA will do to the University of North carolina at Chapel Hill to punish it for a loss of institutional control over its athletics programs. But while those sanctions will be the most dramatic news, another disciplinary measure announced Thursday may be the saddest.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, the commission that accredits unc-Chapel Hill, has given the university 12 months probation for failing to meet seven standards, including academic integrity, and a failure to monitor college sports.

“It’s the most serious sanction we have,” said Belle Wheelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges.

Championship banners and coaches being in NCAA jeopardy are one thing. But when an accrediting agency finds that a university has failed to meet a standard of academic integrity, the university’s soul is at risk.

Nothing is more valuable to an institution of higher learning than its pursuit and dissemination of truth. That is why revelations that some of its classes were a sham – and what a sham, with 3,100 students taking fake classes for nearly two decades – are so devastating not only to how unc-CH is perceived, but to what it is.

This kind of sanction is rare for a major university. Usually it applies to small, financially struggling schools that can’t meet standards. But in this matter, unc-CH, despite its reputation, its accomplishments and its resources, managed to shrink itself to a point where the accrediting agency had concerns about its compliance with 18 separate accreditation standards.

The commission cited seven of those standards in its decision about probation: overall integrity, program content, control of intercollegiate athletics, academic support services, academic freedom, faculty role in governance and compliance with provisions in federal financial aid law.

In the aftermath of the scandal involving athletes and fake courses, nine university employees have resigned, been fired or been placed under disciplinary review. The university has adopted some 70 reforms in the past few years.

All that is appropriate, but reform must continue. The nation’s first public university and one of its best has been brought low by a blind devotion to sports. People within the university, either by intent, neglect or incompetence, traded the university’s honor for hollow victories.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article23800093.html

SACS Puts unc On Probation

What a sad day for the state of North carolina, the university and the ACC.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools has hit unc with probation.

unc was praised for making reforms, but the head of the Association, Belle Whelan, said this:

"It's a big deal. This issue was bigger than anything with which we’ve ever dealt, and it went on for longer than anything else. This is the first one I can recall in the 10 years I’ve been here that we put an institution on probation for academic fraud or academic integrity."

That's pretty sad. And the saddest part? If unc had stood up at the beginning and been proactive, a lot of this could have been avoided.

Instead we've seen years - years! - of obfuscation, of weaseling, of trying to minimize the damage, and all it's done is made it worse.

In North carolina, the people's university, an institution in which all North Carolinians can take pride (we're no longer talking about silly sports rivalries) has done itself great damage and embarrassed all of us.

We'll have more later, but probation? It's a disgrace.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/6/11/8767531/sacs-puts-unc-on-probation

'Bob Lee Says' compares Carol Folt to Hester Prynne of the 'Scarlet Letter' fame...only 'P' for probation. I thought that was a nice idea for a pic. They don't care about academics...as long as they save their love child.

Carol%20Folt%20Scarlet%20P%20UNC%20Baby%20is%20Safe2.jpg

OFC

Good job dirt my friend. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
It couldn't happen to a more deserving "school"*

*term used loosely.

Questions linger due to unx's legacy of lying...

But the “integrity” finding implies that trustees and association staff aren’t yet convinced unc has come clean about the scandal.

At that point, it accepted Thorp’s assertions that the scandal stemmed from the “unethical actions [of] two people,” namely former department secretary Deborah Crowder and her dean, Julius Nyang’oro.

But Wainstein found that many other people were involved. unc contends his investigation uncovered more than others before it because Crowder and Nyang’oro cooperated with him after cutting a deal with state prosecutors.

As of Thursday, senior unc officials were still insisting on that point.

“At the time of the 2013 SACS review, the university did not yet have the benefit of the independent investigation and report of Ken Wainstein, whom Chancellor Folt and I retained at the first opportunity to gain access to previously unavailable information and witnesses,” Ross said.

Association Vice President Cheryl Caudill, however, pointed out that group in the spring of 2013 “at least twice” questioned other people now known to have had “prior concerns and/or knowledge” of the scandal, who didn’t share with it what they knew.

A second finding, having to do with “program content,” hinted that the association and its trustees also aren’t convinced the African-American studies department is the only one involved.

Caudill in November asked unc for information about the department’s curriculum, and that of “any other educational programs with significant exposure that may have been caused by the nearly 20 years of proven academic irregularities.”

unc’s response to that query focused on African-American studies. But a key figure in the scandal is Jan Boxill, a former Faculty Council chairwoman who was a non-tenured instructor in the Philosophy Department.

It’s known now that Boxill allowed athletes to enroll in independent studies classes in philosophy that had what Provost Jim Dean termed “minimal academic expectations.”

The remaining finding made it clear SACS has lingering questions about unc’s compliance with federal regulations concerning student financial aid.

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/showcase/x1845462448/UNC-gets-probation-from-accrediting-agency

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT