ADVERTISEMENT

Tyus Battle to Michigan....

Not gonna lie....this one kind of floored me. I'm not surprised he didn't pick us necessarily, but I'm surprised in how fast the commitment to Michigan took place. Just a week ago I read an article that led me to believe we were in pretty good shape. Best of luck to him.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh. This stings worse than the sunburn I got on Saturday during my first 18 of the season.

Maybe it's a good sign about where we stand with Tatum? Considering that Grayson (Jr.), Kennard (Soph.), and Matt Jones (Sr.) were already slated to return in 15-16, could see Battle's recruitment being tipped by the prospect of Tatum committing to Duke -- particularly if we gave him some indication that we intended to try and get both.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Not gonna lie....this one kind of floored me. I'm not surprised he didn't pick us necessarily, but I'm surprised in how fast the commitment to Michigan took place. Just a week ago I read an article that led me to believe we were in pretty good shape. Best of luck to him.
everybody on the michigan board is floored as well. we were told it was michigan or duke and we dont expect to win most of those. his dad says they had a great visit

Yeah I was really hoping for all 3 of Battle, Giles, Tatum. I'm sure we will still be ok.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh. This stings worse than the sunburn I got on Saturday during my first 18 of the season.
Is it because he is going to Michigan?
Maybe it's a good sign about where we stand with Tatum? Considering that Grayson (Jr.), Kennard (Soph.), and Matt Jones (Sr.) were already slated to return in 15-16, could see Battle's recruitment being tipped by the prospect of Tatum committing to Duke -- particularly if we gave him some indication that we intended to try and get both.
All legit points and there is a lot of truth to what you typed IMO.

I never could see Battle coming to Duke with Tatum. Also with the potential log jam at his position, I thought the writing was on the wall. I certainly wanted Battle at Duke but I think he made the right choice if he wants a ton of PT early on in his freshman year.

Is it because he is going to Michigan?

All legit points and there is a lot of truth to what you typed IMO.

I never could see Battle coming to Duke with Tatum. Also with the potential log jam at his position, I thought the writing was on the wall. I certainly wanted Battle at Duke but I think he made the right choice if he wants a ton of PT early on in his freshman year.

Good points. I hope this means we are in really good shape with Tatum like everyone seems to think.

Reactions: dbav
My guess is a matter of playing time and playing right away. Can't blame him for his decision and I wish him the very best.
I still like what we have and the ones to come yet!! Don't worry, it's gonna be ok!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
dont care about him if we get tatum and giles
prolly better for him since he wont play much at all his first year and Michigan has no one good on their entire team, glad he went to a school that has no real shot at competing for a NC

Battle looks like a nice player and will love Beilein's offense. I don't like the suspense of waiting so hopefully Tatum, Giles, and Smith Jr. take an early announcement cue from Battle and announce soon for Duke!

My guess is a matter of playing time and playing right away. Can't blame him for his decision and I wish him the very best.
I still like what we have and the ones to come yet!! Don't worry, it's gonna be ok!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Yep, we can't get them all.

OFC

Reactions: Skeelow22
I had a feeling he would be headed elsewhere if we landed all of our targets in that class and with the players on the roster. I'm sorry to hear it though. It was my understanding that he is a big fan of Duke. Sorry it didn't end up happening.

Any news on the recruiting trail for us? Are we gaining ground with any big targets? Who would the guys in the know expect to commit next?

Sorry, the recruiting I follow is primarily on this board and you guys are typically spit on. Figured I'd ask.

Any chance we have a shot? I know we were high on his list before his Michigan commitment

Probably not great odds he or Duke consider each other. You never know though.

Any chance we have a shot? I know we were high on his list before his Michigan commitment

A lot of people thought he was a Duke lock before he committed to Michigan. Wouldn't be surprised if he came here, but I could see him going to Syracuse too.

I'm sure we trust in Capel, but I think the question is if we still have interest.

The bigger question is whether anything has changed at Duke to make us more appealing to Battle. And it hasn't; he would have to compete with, at least, a senior Matt Jones and a sophomore Luke Kennard for playing time. Also, possibly a junior Grayson Allen and hopefully a freshman Jayson Tatum. And, since his commitment to Michigan, the development of possibly adding Frank Jackson into that mix. Hard to blame Battle for looking for greener pastures.

I'd be surprised if the staff was still interested in Battle. He's fallen in the consensus rankings from about 12 to 20 over the past month, and some see Frank Jackson more as a slightly undersized 2-guard than a true 1. He's stronger, bigger, and more athletic than Quinn, so I imagine the thought of Thornton and Jackson on the court at the same time is appealing to the staff. A trio of Taytum, Giles, and Jackson (and possibly Bolden) would be an amazing class, perhaps topped only by the 2017 class.

God I love our recruiting these days!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT