ADVERTISEMENT

The "What Do You Do?" thread

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
This thread has become a staple of this board over the years and I always enjoy it. Plus, it's a fun one during the offseason. And with so many new posters each year it helps us to get to know one another maybe a little better. There's even been a time or two where it's resulted in some good networking and business opportunities for folks.

So what is it that you do for a living? I'll start.

I still run three radio stations on the outer fringe of the Minneapolis market. It's a fun gig and a good gig at the same time. Over the past year I've also gotten more into the voiceover business as a voice actor. It's a little extra money in my pocket and something I enjoy to do.

Next....

I'm an educator by training and farmer by marriage.

Just this Monday I gave up the part-time faculty gig I've had at Duke for 15 years. It's sad to leave, but it's for the opportunity to help build a new school where my two older kids attend and to be a bigger part of their daily lives (what teenage girls don't want that?) , so it's more sweet than bitter.

Full time minister at a Church of Christ in TN, currently looking for a new place for my wife and I though, ready for some new opportunities, and frankly, away from TN and maybe closer back to NC.

I did some radio work for about 2 months less than a year ago. Sales. Wasn't for me.

Currently, I'm a caregiver for my wife, and I'm retired. But I've done a little bit of everything over the years from Sales (want to buy a used car...anyone...anyone?), to driving a truck...owning a small business, even a little gambling:cool: (gave that up for my wife). Life hasn't been boring.

OFC

Im an inventory planner at Intel-Micron in Lehi Utah. I manage about 5 Million dollar worth of spare parts for their tooling. Lots of communicating between engineers and buyers trying to make sure the inventory levels are adequate. Its been fun and today I hit my year mark with the company. Its my first job outta college but I really enjoy working in Supply Chain.

I also have two little boys with whom im training to be huge Duke fans. My wife claims she is a Tarheel fan just because she lived there for a few years but she cant tell you the starting 5 and often wears my duke sweatshirt.

Division 3 basketball coach at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Va. My initial plan back in the 90's as a D1 assistant was to take Coach K's job eventually but I soon realized that even being over 20 years younger than him.....he was STILL going to coach longer than me!! So.....I've settled in nicely with my D3 gig lol!!!!

Im an inventory planner at Intel-Micron in Lehi Utah. I manage about 5 Million dollar worth of spare parts for their tooling. Lots of communicating between engineers and buyers trying to make sure the inventory levels are adequate. Its been fun and today I hit my year mark with the company. Its my first job outta college but I really enjoy working in Supply Chain.

I also have two little boys with whom im training to be huge Duke fans. My wife claims she is a Tarheel fan just because she lived there for a few years but she cant tell you the starting 5 and often wears my duke sweatshirt.

Just in case some of you might not know DukeSky85 is my son whom I am very proud of and love unconditionally. By the way those two boys of his are gonna be 4th generation Duke fans. OFC

I'm retired but my wife says I have a part time job of being a pain in the old rear end. I do work part time keeping rec softball, baseball and basketball scores. I also work a couple of days a week at one of our local lakes, Lake McIntosh. In my spare time I watch old T.V. shows from the 60's and 70's. OFC

I'm retired but my wife says I have a part time job of being a pain in the old rear end. I do work part time keeping rec softball, baseball and basketball scores. I also work a couple of days a week at one of our local lakes, Lake McIntosh. In my spare time I watch old T.V. shows from the 60's and 70's. OFC

And let me add that I'm thrilled to find out we have so many attorneys here. Got to watch myself.:D OFC

Assistant Vice President of Lending, I manage the Residential Mortgage Department ($47MM) and write commercial, consumer, and ag loans for a community bank. Coach high school baseball on the side. My wife and I are expecting our first Duke basketball player in September. It's a boy but before we knew it was a boy, the girl name we had picked out was Cameron Kay, Cameron still might win for the boy and yes, those are both Duke related. Currently getting my master's in healthcare administration looking to get into the healthcare field eventually.

My wife also says she is a UNC fan because she made a UNC pillow back in 8th grade. Funny thing is, when I'm watching Duke games she says "Oh man WE are playing good" or vice versa. She does that to get under my skin and it works most of the time.

Entrepreneur. My father owns his own business and I work with him and looking to branch out with my own business ideas. I also ran for school board last election and did well in a three man race with an incumbent and will likely run for a different position next. Also have preached some but not in a while but will prob do so again in the future!

Division 3 basketball coach at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Va. My initial plan back in the 90's as a D1 assistant was to take Coach K's job eventually but I soon realized that even being over 20 years younger than him.....he was STILL going to coach longer than me!! So.....I've settled in nicely with my D3 gig lol!!!!

Funny because I almost went to that school coming out of high school. I had a conversation with Coach Hale but wound up at another D3 school.

Reactions: skysdad
Cballover,
Where are you from? Coach Hale's been one of my assistants since my first year.

Have a degree in computer programming but for 19 years I've worked for a family owned vending business doing basically everything in the office..I'm in charge of cost of goods, tax reporting, etc. In the last 2 years I've been in charge of our markets (small convenience stores we put in locations)...love my job...

If I ever need an attorney, can I call any of you and get a Duke discount? And by discount, I mean free services. :D

Not licensed in NJ. Sorry. :)

This thread makes me think of Kindergarten Cop. "Who is my daddy and what does he do (add Austrian accent)?".

Firefighter in Fairfax County, Virginia. It's the best job I've ever had and I love serving the people of the DC area. We see some things. I coach travel and AAU as my down time and if you can imagine, that's more stressful than my career. Haha.

Kirby, I've seen you guys play many times. We've discussed it before but I grew up in Staunton, came to EMU's basketball camps and played with a few guys who came to play for you. Small, small internet world.

Teach (and serve) full-time with a church in downtown Birmingham - principally focused on working with homeless shelters, half-way houses, rehab centers and those living on the street.

Reactions: DukeDenver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT