ADVERTISEMENT

The stupidest thing you have ever heard a fan say at a sporting event.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I heard mine just the other night a a local high school baseball game Team A is in the field and the batter from team B hits a ground ball to the second baseman who fields the ball and makes a wild throw to 1st. base. Now the 1st baseman looks about 6'3" and is lanky. The batter looks about 5'"9 and medium size. While rounding first base the runner and get tangled and the runner goes down and hurts his ankle. Time is called of course to check the kid out. All of a sudden the runners mommie comes over to team A's side of the stands and starts yelling "that boy's to big to be playing 1st base." The 1st baseman's mom just happens to be standing where mommie makes the statement. In a very stern but classy way she just tells mommie that the 1st baseman is just trying to do his job. Mommie replies " I don't care he's my child." Anyway way the kid get's up and scores from 2nd on a single and I must say he was quick. The next time up he was hit by a pitch but mommie kept her mouth shut or at least no one heard her. Team B won the game and the real funny thing about the whole situation is team B's 1st baseman was just as tall as team A's 1st baseman. I've been to a lot of sporting events ans heard a lot of stupid remarks by fans including myself but this one goes to the top. If I had ever said something like that at one of my son's games he would have told me to keep my mouth shut or stop coming to his games. Just ask him. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has experienced dumb fans so let's hear them. OFC

"Duke Sucks" at any neutral site game I've been too. Especially when JJ dropped 40 on Texas in the Tri-State area.

I've heard a ton and I'll post a few but one I heard at a middle school basketball game this year was "I told my son you can't stop someone from scoring by fouling"

I've heard so much stupid stuff over the years it's all run together. But I still love one I've heard many times 'if we had made more shots we would have beat you'. Yeah, that would just about take care of it.

OFC

Reactions: JCColsCane
I remember being in Houston watching the Regional against Baylor. I am watching the game from the mezzanine ( was too nervous to sit still).

Duke is down 61-60. Baylor calls a timeout to spook Nolan at the freethrow line.. There is a scapper that was standing next to me. I am the only guy around in Duke Blue. Everyone else is in Baylor Green. We are at about the 4 minute mark.

The guy says, "So what is going to happen?". I tell him -- "Nolan is going to make the basket and then Duke gets a turnover and goes on one of Coach K's 10-0 runs."

I am telling it to this guy 1-on-1, not in an arrogant tone -- just kind of matter-of-fact.

So this guy starts talking in a loud voice -- "OK, OK,YA'LL. CHECK THIS OUT! HERE IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. THIS GUY RIGHT HERE SAYS DUKE IS GOING TO GO ON A 10-O RUN AND WIN THE GAME."

I am thinking "Thanks, d!ckhead.."

Nolan misses the basket. Scapper starts laughing. Some of the others around start to chuckle.. Zoubek gets offensive rebound. Nolan makes a 3 pointer and Duke, Duke gets a stop, then Scheyer makes a 3 pointer.

Guys around me start to be quiet. With less than 45ish seconds Duke is up by 10. Scapper-dude slinks off.

I still remember that guy....I am sure he was watching the game against Wisconsin.

"Get in the hole." is getting old too. Hope no of you do that. OFC

This is cringe-worthy at this point. I'd love to see some mild-mannered golfer deck a fan for yelling this. Phil just walks over and punches some obnoxious clown and everyone cheers!

I was at a Hurricanes game with my son. They were playing the Islanders. The Canes were winning by 2 in the 3rd period. An Islanders fan behind me told his friend, "If we can score 3 more goals we will be ahead." I just shook my head.

Reactions: pisgah101
Basically anytime a Baltimore Raven fan complains about the refs (which occurs 365 days a year).

I was at a Hurricanes game with my son. They were playing the Islanders. The Canes were winning by 2 in the 3rd period. An Islanders fan behind me told his friend, "If we can score 3 more goals we will be ahead." I just shook my head.

If the 'Canes were two goals ahead of anybody, it must have been about five years ago. :)

The most curious common fan chant for me has always been "over-rated." Think about it. Your team has just defeated a highly-regarded opponent and your first instinct is to suggest that the team just defeated wasn't really all that good to begin with.

Makes zero sense to me.

If the 'Canes were two goals ahead of anybody, it must have been about five years ago. :)

The most curious common fan chant for me has always been "over-rated." Think about it. Your team has just defeated a highly-regarded opponent and your first instinct is to suggest that the team just defeated wasn't really all that good to begin with.

Makes zero sense to me.

Almost five years ago...but over-rated gets me too!

I was the official score keeper at a state baseball tourney about 3 or 4 years ago. The players ranged from 15 to18 which we refer to as junior league. Well I'm sitting up in the scorer's box which is open air and here comes this fellow I had never seen before. He was from the coast of N.C. somewhere. He sat right down below and beside me and ask me if I had ever seen a " clam digger?" I told him not really but I had heard of people down on the coast that went clam digging and as a kid my mom used to make me wear clam diggers in the summer which were pants that went right below the knee. He rolled his eyes and grinned and said no the clam digger is his son's ace pitch and they were playing at my field next. He said it was his set up pitch for his 87 mph fastball which was rare for a 15 year old. He told me his son's name and told me to remember it because he would be big time in the near future and every one would know who he was. Well the game started and his son was pitching. He was a pretty big kid in both height and weight so I thought maybe he did have some heat. I didn't have a speed gun but the fast ball was coming in pretty hard. It wasn't any harder than any of the others I saw that day. There was a difference though. This kid was throwing the ball all over the place. Far inside,far outside, high ball and if it did get close he was plunking the hitters. Every now and then he would throw one in the dirt. Was this his clam digger I thought. He did get a few pitches across the plate and when the hitters connected they went out a lot faster than 87 mph. Anyway the only words out of the father during this 1st inning was yelling at his kid and telling me he was just getting adjusted to a strange field. By the second inning the kid was off the mound and the dad had moved on away to sit with the rest of the teams fans. The team was so far behind after the kid got off the mound the slaughter rule came in and they were through by the 5th. Anyway I forgot the kids name. Any of you that live on the coast of NC or anywhere else know of a kid from the east coast of NC who has a pitch called a clam digger. Should be throwing in the high 90's by now. If so let me know the kids name so I can follow his career. OFC

Mark Packer, radio anouncer & Billy Packer's son, told me USA Basketball had distracted K at the 2010 ACCT. One month later, title #4.

Like others have said "get in the hole" has got to me the most annoying thing heard on a golf course and its always yelled by guys with the loudest mouth.

I was the official score keeper at a state baseball tourney about 3 or 4 years ago. The players ranged from 15 to18 which we refer to as junior league. Well I'm sitting up in the scorer's box which is open air and here comes this fellow I had never seen before. He was from the coast of N.C. somewhere. He sat right down below and beside me and ask me if I had ever seen a " clam digger?" I told him not really but I had heard of people down on the coast that went clam digging and as a kid my mom used to make me wear clam diggers in the summer which were pants that went right below the knee. He rolled his eyes and grinned and said no the clam digger is his son's ace pitch and they were playing at my field next. He said it was his set up pitch for his 87 mph fastball which was rare for a 15 year old. He told me his son's name and told me to remember it because he would be big time in the near future and every one would know who he was. Well the game started and his son was pitching. He was a pretty big kid in both height and weight so I thought maybe he did have some heat. I didn't have a speed gun but the fast ball was coming in pretty hard. It wasn't any harder than any of the others I saw that day. There was a difference though. This kid was throwing the ball all over the place. Far inside,far outside, high ball and if it did get close he was plunking the hitters. Every now and then he would throw one in the dirt. Was this his clam digger I thought. He did get a few pitches across the plate and when the hitters connected they went out a lot faster than 87 mph. Anyway the only words out of the father during this 1st inning was yelling at his kid and telling me he was just getting adjusted to a strange field. By the second inning the kid was off the mound and the dad had moved on away to sit with the rest of the teams fans. The team was so far behind after the kid got off the mound the slaughter rule came in and they were through by the 5th. Anyway I forgot the kids name. Any of you that live on the coast of NC or anywhere else know of a kid from the east coast of NC who has a pitch called a clam digger. Should be throwing in the high 90's by now. If so let me know the kids name so I can follow his career. OFC
I'm from the other side of the state but I know a lot of parents and kids that sound just like this hahaha

Me and a buddy used to play pickup ball with a couple guys that were college professors from the school we went to. The oldest guy prob early 50s then said we couldn't play with threes because it wasn't fair (mainly because I shoot a lot of 3's and he couldn't hit any) so we played and beat em and every time he did anything wrong he would scream COME ON TIM (which was his name) lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT