ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
unx front and center when talking about the NCAA's misssion. #corrupt #laughingstocks...

Friday, May 01, 2015

The NCAA: What IS Their Mission?

If you visit the NCAA's homepage, the organization boldly declares "Student-athlete success on the field, in the classroom and in life is at the heart of our mission."

Let's evaluate that claim with two recent statements made by the NCAA:

1. In response to a recent wrongful death lawsuit brought by a college athlete, the NCAA stated "it has no legal duty to protect student-athletes." [Here is a terrific recap of this case and the NCAA's response by Dennis Dodd.] Quick history lesson, the NCAA was founded in 1906 to promote the safety of the college athlete.

2. In response to the academic scandal unfolding at unc, the NCAA stated it did not have a "duty to ensure the quality of the education of student-athletes." So apparently, when NCAA executive director Walter Byers created the term "student-athlete" in the 1950s to ostensibly shield the NCAA from worker's compensation claims, the concept of "student" was merely an empty label.

In sum, the NCAA is declaring that their aforementioned lofty mission does not include any responsibility to protect either the STUDENT or the ATHLETE.

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-ncaa-protector-of-what.html

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about the NCAA punishing UNC. I think they're looking for anything to keep from dropping the hammer. I just don't see how Syracuse can be punished and UNC not.

OFC

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about the NCAA punishing UNC. I think they're looking for anything to keep from dropping the hammer. I just don't see how Syracuse can be punished and UNC not.

OFC

I'm always pessimistic too but Hausfield already kicked the NCAA's azz once. Gettin' close to "Put up or shut up" time for Emmert. Either they live up to their motto to ensure that athletes get a legit education or they don't. If not , who needs 'em? IOW , the NCAA might just be fighting for their very existence if they refuse to hammer unx for the egregiousness of the offenses....

O'Bannon/unc attorney asks senators to keep examining NCAA

Attorneys representing former University of North carolina athletes in a academic fraud lawsuit against the university and NCAA are asking four members of the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee to continue investigating academics in college sports given recent developments.

In a letter dated April 28 and released Thursday by attorney Michael Hausfeld's office, two lawyers wrote that continued Congressional examination is needed due to “the apparent inconsistencies and divergences in positions taken by the NCAA” before the senate committee last July and in federal court. The letter from Hausfeld and attorney Bob Orr, who are suing North carolina and the NCAA in relation to the academic scandal at North carolina, was addressed to Sens. John Thume, Bill Nelson, Jerry Moran and Richard Blumenthal.

“In the course of the (July 2014 Senate) hearing, representatives of the NCAA, including its President, Dr. Mark Emmert, testified, in essence, that the mission and commitment of the NCAA was to provide and assure a meaningful education for these athletes,” Hausfeld and Orr wrote. “Subsequent events and information, however, have raised serious doubts about the accuracy of that representation.”

The letter released by Hausfeld, who is also the lead attorney in the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit, cited the NCAA's recent court filing in the Rashanda McCants lawsuit that stated the association has no responsibility to ensure “the academic integrity of the courses offered” at schools. The Hausfeld letter also cited a legal statement by the NCAA that it has no role in “the quality of the education student-athletes received at member institutions or to protect student-athletes from the independent, voluntary acts of those institutions or their employees.”

In addition, Hausfeld cited a recent Pac-12 study about the time demands for college athletesand the Big Ten's freshman ineligibility document released two weeks ago by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

“At virtually the same time of these NCAA denials, the Big Ten Conference, in a stunning admission, documented how and why the NCAA and its member conferences and institutions are not ‘living up' to the fulfillment of its commitment or ideal to meaningfully educate it athletes," stated the Hausfeld letter to the senators.

The letter noted that the Big Ten paper found that the college sports system is “not healthy” and that it's the NCAA's obligation to provide a “meaningful education” to its athletes. The Big Ten paper concluded that if the NCAA model cannot be defended as educationally sound, “then the enterprise stands as a house of cards.”

“Education opportunity, the Big Ten concludes, without meaningful education, ‘is exploitation,'” the lawyers wrote to the senators. “This is precisely the present state of affairs of the NCAA's system of intercollegiate athletics — the ‘athlete side' ‘vastly outweighs' the ‘student side.'”

The letter sheds some light on the legal strategy for the plaintiffs in the North carolina academic fraud lawsuit. In an interview Thursday, Hausfeld said the NCAA could soon have no credibility in saying its educational mission is a pro-competitive justification for restraint of trade under antitrust laws. Hausfeld won a ruling last August in the O'Bannon case that, pending appeal, would allow football and men's basketball players to be paid for use of their name, image and likeness.

Hausfeld, who hopes for more Congressional hearings, said the Big Ten's "Year of Readiness" document and the conference's call for a national debate is a confession about the inadequacies of the NCAA and its members for decades.

"I'm not surprised by the admission. I'm impressed that (the Big Ten) would put this in writing," Hausfeld said. "Giving the Big Ten every benefit of sincerity, the document is an extremely public and courageous cry for help to change the trajectory of the system that jeopardizes the entity itself."

A spokesman for Thume said the Senate Commerce Committee has received the letter and is reviewing it. The NCAA declined to comment about the letter.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...attorney-asks-senators-to-keep-examining-ncaa

You're right, DevilDj, it's 'put up or shut up' time. And you're right again about not needing the NCAA if they're not doing what they're supposed to do. I hope they do their job.

OFC

Holy Shnikkies! Tarhole apologist El Supremo Mac agrees! Lol...

Chris McClain @macwfnz

Chris McClain retweeted JD TOMMY

sadly its true Chris McClain added,

JD TOMMY @jdthomas59

@DevilDJ32 @drridpath @Rand_Getlin @EricPrisbell @AuthorPMBarrett @sganim @macwfnz Bitterness as usual from Art!

ProfessorWolf
Scout Subscriber
6th Man
3288 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 11:54 AM

Re: Continuing Cheat saga thread

SACS meets twice per year, December for their annual meeting and then again in June, which is a Board of Trustees meeting. The December meeting is not unlike your typical trade-show, where 4,500 professionals of all levels come together to talk about a wide range of topics of the day. It is a time of keynote speakers, vendor booths, break out sessions, panel discussions, etc. The June meeting is when the much smaller Board of Trustees comes together. Issues related to accreditation could be on the agenda for the SACS BoT at either the Dec or Jun meeting. SACS has yet to meet to discuss the unc response to their questions because the response wasn't due until after their Dec meeting. It will be discussed at the next regularly scheduled meeting, which is just a few weeks away.

Scandal reveals two cultures at Chapel Hill

One powerful element of the faculty, apparently including the Faculty Athletics Committee, shares the view of the administration and trustees that the university has forthrightly addressed the misdeeds of those who created this mess and has ensured that nothing similar will happen again.

Another segment of the faculty, however, including the vocal Athletic Reform Group, believes that the university’s recent problems stem from fundamental contradictions that have not even been acknowledged, much less resolved.

Dr. Cynthia Schauer, an associate professor of chemistry, has recently solicited signatures from active and retired faculty for a statement that is a representative expression of the “move on” position. (It can be found here.) She has solicited signatures from active and retired faculty, and as I write it has attracted 135 of them.

It is remarkable that only nine of those signers are from humanities departments. Over 60 percent are from the physical sciences and mathematics (30), medicine and other “health affairs” schools (27), and the business school (26). (Five of the others are from the Department of Exercise and Sports Science and the rest are from other professional schools, the arts, and social sciences.)

Compare those figures to the affiliations of the 32 retired faculty who signed a letter last year that criticized the administration’s response. Not one was from the business school; only five were from the hard sciences and one from the School of Public Health, while fully half were from humanities departments (literature, languages, and especially history). The composition of the university’s Athletic Reform Group, which comprises mostly working faculty, is similarly skewed toward the humanities.

True, the university has 3,600 currently employed faculty and hundreds more retired ones who remain active, so the vast majority have remained silent. There is no school or department in which anything near a majority of faculty signed either statement. Nevertheless, the imbalance is so large that it suggests an interesting possibility.

My point is not that one of these approaches is superior to the other; each is useful in its place and for its purpose. But they do tend to be found in different disciplines. Dr. Schauer’s statement characterizes the actions of some outspoken faculty critics of the administration as “divisive and counterproductive” and castigates them for “seek(ing) out the media spotlight to rehash old issues as if they are ongoing problems.” Most of those critics are humanists. They might happily agree that they have been divisive, but from their point of view, what’s counterproductive is telling those you disagree with to shut up and get with the program.

I’ll end with a personal note. I was one of the retired faculty members who wrote that letter. One faculty colleague accused those of us who signed it of wanting to “wash our dirty linen in public.” That is precisely what we wanted. In retrospect it would have been very smart to have hauled it out and washed it very conspicuously because it was eventually dragged out and displayed by others.

Dr. Schauer’s statement implies that now everything has been revealed, justice has been done, and the future has been taken care of. If those three propositions are true, it may indeed be time to “move forward.”

Many, however, both on the campus and off, think there’s dirty linen yet to be washed. Answering their questions might be embarrassing, even painful, but it would put an end to this business. Telling them that it’s time to stop asking certainly won’t.

http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=3182#.VUS7EjWWj7Y.twitter

carolina_shame_zps6f6cbf84.jpg

Reactions: dukefan5151
RECRUITING UNDER THE NCAA CLOUD

Roy Williams and his North carolina program would benefit from a late addition to its roster in cementing its status as a Final Four contender in 2015-16, although the lingering NCAA investigation has seriously hampered those efforts.

Look no further than Kinston, N.C., a small town of 21,000 some 110 miles southeast of the Dean E. Smith Center, for evidence of the fallout of a NCAA case still awaiting its midpoint.

It was there that former Tar Heel standouts Jerry Stackhouse and Reggie Bullock grew up, and it was there that five-star wing Brandon Ingram announced his decision on Monday to sign with Duke. Ingram, who unc first evaluated in 2012 before offering in July 2013, cited the uncertainty of the NCAA investigation as playing a role in his decision.

When asked about the NCAA’s impact on Ingram’s decision at a Rams Club Tar Heel Tour stop this week, Williams told Insidecarolina.com: “It’s very disappointing.”

Resolution in the NCAA investigation will not be swift – unc has yet to even receive its notice of allegations – and a final conclusion may not arrive by the end of the year. There's no questioning the impact it has had on unc's recruitment of the high school class of 2015. There are no Tar Heel signees to date, with 11 prospects that held unc scholarship offers thus far choosing other programs - some of whom Williams has lamented never even visited Chapel Hill - all of which is unprecedented in Williams's head coaching career.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/story/1542799-recruiting-under-the-ncaa-cloud?s=78

unx alum Bob Lee...

unc Professor Reed Hits A Homer!

Our pal John Shelton Reed “hits a homer” with his latest analysis of The Great Unpleasantness – Scandal Reveals Two Cultures at unc. JSR’s take is how even behind the ivy-covered walls of academe, perspectives can be as varied as Kipling’s blind men analyzing that elephant.

While an admitted longtime “fan” of the Tar Heels as far as “the thrill of victory & agony of defeat” aspect of sports, JSR has never consumed copious amounts of undiluted Karolina Kool-Aid which has allowed him to maintain an objectivity far in excess of 95% of both “the lower level gang” and “the Wal-Mart bandwagoneers”. He did NOT contribute to the "war chest".

This odious mess has become Chapel Hill’s own “paper mill”.

http://www.bobleesays.com/Blogs/BobLee-Says/May-2015/UNC-Professor-Reed-Hits-A-Homer!.aspx

B-Rad. Lulz....

I am an educator who played sports in high school and enjoys watching sports, but, otherwise, I have a very limited interest in sports news...Of course, I follow the reporting and commentary on the controversies surrounding unc athletics more diligently than anyone, but that is because I am close to the people involved and am now making a documentary film about the media's coverage of those controversies.

Additionally, I closely follow news about the news. When I am not filming, I am reading articles and books about journalistic ethics and standards...I see my reading interests as a strength for my film: they demonstrate I am not just a sports fan trying to make propaganda in defense of my team. My interest is the media, not sports.

THIS^^^
from the "educator" who "closely follows news about the news." BUSTED...

Youaintryan. @youaintryan

.@DStrick01 and @BethelLearning killin' it with the pro-Mayweather tweets tonight! Nicely done fellas

Coaching the Mind @BethelLearning

@youaintryan Killin' it with the smugness in that tweet. I didn't know his history of domestic violence. Don't align me with Strickland.

Youaintryan. @youaintryan

@BethelLearning it's troubling for you to say Verified isn't just about unc, but about sports media reportage in general, and then be (1/2) completely unaware of 1 of sports media’s biggest recent criticisms: total resistance to reporting DV history of Mayweather. ome links: http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-las-vegas-...ther-1699848463 … | http://deadspin.com/the-trouble-with-floyd...ther-1605217498 … | http://deadspin.com/what-the-****-is-wrong...mith-1700198846 … this is well-documented. Hard to understand how you can be producing doc on media ethics and not know this stuff.

#salt. Lol...

I appreciate those who engaged me respectfully about the matter. I do not appreciate Mr. Thrill City President Emeritus's smugness. If he (and DTH opinion editor Henry Gargan) want to discuss the media and journalistic ethics and standards further, I have another story I would be happy to review with them: CNN's publicizing Mary Willingham's false research claims about unc athletes' reading levels.

http://coachingthemind.blogspot.com/2015/05/rooting-for-mayweather-no-longer.html

What? B-Rad a companyman? Say it ain't so! No insightful treatise on media bias and misreporting of the facts that B-Rad so carefully monitors rather than the unx-financed PR tool that everyone knows "Verified" to be? From the bolded , it appears B-Rad is only concerned about media bias when it reveals his employer to be the corrupt entity that it is.

The talent has "dried up" at unx? Can't imagine why. Lol.....

unc’s NFL draft pipeline runs dry, years after Butch Davis firing

The college-to-NFL pipeline that Butch Davis laid in Chapel Hill had started to dry long ago, and now North carolina has appeared to squeeze the last remaining talent out of it in the years after it fired Davis in the summer of 2011 amid an NCAA investigation.

The Davis era is most remembered for how it ended, in part because of that investigation into violations that led to scholarship cuts and a one-year postseason ban, among other penalties, and in part because the Tar Heels under Davis didn’t accomplish anything all that memorable on the field.

unc still hasn’t won more than eight games since 1997, and it hasn’t won an ACC championship since 1980.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article19958856.html

unx alum Bob Lee...

In explaining his momentous decision, young Mr Ingram finally answered THAT QUESTION posed four long years ago by unc Trustee Barbara Rosser-Hyde.....

“Coach, is all this hurting recruiting?”

Ol’ Roy Two Rings, now reduced to recruiting home-schooled white boys, begrudgingly admitted:

“All this “junk” IS INDEED..... hurting recruiting”.

Meanwhile the ABC mob’s siege of Chapel Hill enters its 5th year with no sign of abating...... as The NCAA ponders. For a historical comparison, the Greeks seige of Troy lasted ten years.... with the Greeks finally winning. Maybe the ABC mob should build a giant wooden ram?

COMMENTS

Underthelongineclock

Completely off topic.

I had put off reading Cheated because I (mistakenly) figured it would be necessary to plow through boring data just to learn nothing new. I was so very wrong. It's a great read that has tons of new information (might not have been new but I didn't know it and I thought I was paying attention). Since it is so well done, and it's information so well cited I'm surprised it has not gotten more attention nationally. This sure appears to be a 'made for 60 Minutes' script.

Before the book I had Holden Thorpe as a unfortunate dupe who just got swept along in the chicanery. He sure appears to have been an active conspirator at least at the end of his tenure. Since you have professed your friendship for Smith, Willingham, AND Thorpe I'm sure that is uncomfortable for you. I don't give up on friends quickly and I'm willing to bet you don't either.

BL:

Holden's fatal Achilles Heel as a CEO was trusting a key senior staffer - "Dickie". As the stink began to seep from the septic tank, Holden asked Dickie if there was reason for concern. Dickie sang both verses of Hark The Sound and assured HT that The carolina Way was all-powerful.

By the time HT realized Dickie was a clueless twit, he was in too deep to extricate himself.

That executive mistake on HT's part was fatal to his career.

http://www.bobleesays.com/Blogs/Bob...-Chevrolet,-Urban-Riots-and-BabyMamma-be.aspx

B-Rad: "I don't follow sports one bit, but I'm doing a movie on sports reporting." Lulz...

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

Who is the bigger idiot, Bradley Bethel or the unc Fans that trusted him with $142,000? #TarHeelSavior http://coachingthemind.blogspot.com/2015/0...-no-longer.html

Wufwuf1@Wufwuf1

@CheatingBlueRam LOL at Dancing Brad. Not even in the top 10 people I could name. If he was he couldn't defend them...

CELpMiPVAAEl6e9.jpg

Mr. Bustin Clays ‏@citori525

@Wufwuf1 @CheatingBlueRam Just a sad, bitter former unc employee trying to extend his 15 minutes of fame.

Jay N. Strong: unc’s complicated denial

Bravo to Professor John Shelton Reed for his April 24 Point of View “Two unc-CH cultures.” Understanding organizational and individual thought processes is essential to finding lasting solutions and a real a smack in the forehead of why people inside and outside unc-CH cannot fully come to terms with the tragic derailment of the carolina Way.

Rationalizing, trivializing and confronting are different tools that help people move forward – deny one group its needs, the wounds fester and cohesion suffers.

unc’s management was slow and appeared deceptive and, as a result, was presumed to be unmoved by something so fundamental to some, a series of fundamental moral lapses, that it invited disaster.

Reed’s notions explain a great deal about unc’s predicament and, more important, the world around us, such as how we can hold different points of view on abortion, voter ID, immigration, Common Core, welfare, budgets and the unknowns to fully explain global warming.

As humans, we process things differently – some more analytically collaborative and some more humanly reasoned. Like the ancient Greek philosophers and scientists, we still seek beauty and truth expecting one thing above all else, that those who are most learned will admit what they don’t know and make it clear to us when they do.

JAY N. STRONG

CHAPEL HILL

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article20208843.html

Cheating Blue Ram‏@CheatingBlueRam

@BethelLearning has interviewed 3 former student athletes for his film about the unc fake class scandal. https://mobile.twitter.com/Unverified_Film/...427390253314049 … Let's see, 1500 student athletes enrollments in the unc fake classes minus 3 leaves 1497 more interviews. Better get busy Brad.

BDevilU ‏@BDevilU1

@CheatingBlueRam Merletti, ballboy for Butch with the Browns (Comm & EXSS double major); Wilson (EXSS major); Bly went pro early (major?)

So B-Rad interviews 3 players who directly benefited from the scam. "Confirmation bias," much? Why not just talk to these guys? Minus 'Shad , of course. lol...

CESzB2cWEAEK9Ov.jpg

It's funny. B-Rad's "mockumentary" was/is a PR tool bough-n-paid-for by the unx BoT yet presented to the public as a "populist" movement via that transparent "Kickstarter Campaign." It'll likely get a handful (if that!) of showings at some bar on Franklin Street , convince no one of unx's innocence and die a quick death. B-Rad the film auteur will be no closer to his (day)dream of being a film director either. Mary , otoh , has had legit movie-makers approach her about bringing "Cheated" to the big screen. Yet here he is...bragging about interviewing some MORE unx athletes who will never show their transcripts either. lulz.

Earl Smith, PhD ‏@smithea1

#NCAA New bowl games will allow teams with 5-7 record to play @paperclassinc #greed

Paper Class Inc. ‏@paperclassinc

@smithea1 Plenty of $$ to go around. We need full transparency and disclosure with how it's allocated. Non-profit organization??

@paperclassinc Ohio State spent $4.4M, Oregon $3.8M on College Football Playoff trips -- LOTS of cash being spent of large travel parties

Paper Class Inc. ‏@paperclassinc

@smithea1 it would be interesting to see the guest list of the schools (non-profit organizations) travel parties. Wouldn't it? Transparency?

@paperclassinc Cronies; Friends; Mistresses; Boosters; Gigolo; gold diggers; recruits;

Paper Class Inc.‏@paperclassinc

@smithea1 Don't forget Admission Directors & as I recall from 2005 and 2009 bball championship, lots of other academic officials as well.

Around the 2:20 mark , amidst Carol's fawning over all things tarhole , there's a brief screen shot of the Wainstein Report. No mention of it from the chancellor. Lulz...

#14. Hang a banner...

unc's academic fraud: The NCAA has yet to sanction North carolina for the academic scandal that dates back a couple of decades, but former head coach of the football team, Butch Davis, was fired in July 2011, because of academic misconduct and allegations of players receiving improper benefits by agents.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/photos/...ts-in-sports-history-photo-1430948426810.html

Wonder if Jeff expresses the same "disappointment" in his alma mater? Tarhole hypocrisy at it's best (worst...?)

Saturday disappointed in Brady

Jeff Saturday discusses the findings in the Wells report and expresses disappointment that Patriots QB Tom Brady was generally aware of inappropriate activities regarding deflated balls in the AFC Championship Game and didn't own up to it.

"Once you were caught...I would've liked to have seen the accountability...just step up and handle it like ya should've been...just from an integrity point of view it's a difficult thing...if he made a mistake just own up to it at that moment woulda been the way ya wanna handle it...as a person as a role model...it's just disappointing...when ya do make a mistake owning it and fixing it...I feel like just the way after they got caught or after it was turned in the way it went from there...that's the disappointing part for me...obviously they got a competitive advantage. We could go back and forth does every quarterback do it...but once ya cross the line and get caught how do ya handle it and that's the part I'm most disappointed in. Ya would like to see the guy who is most in control stand up and fall on the sword. That's my opinion."

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12834869

Whistle-blowers Jay Smith & Mary Willingham Talk About the unc Scandal

Whistle-blowers Jay Smith & Mary Willingham joins the Steven Maggi Show to talk about a controversial subject on our corrupt academic system. They talk about how our universities and colleges across the country take advantage of our athletes and students, by cheating and pushing them through their classes, instead of educating them. You can learn more from their book Cheated: The unc Scandal, the Education of Athletes, and the Future of Big-Time College Sports.

http://www.stevenmaggishow.com/whistle-blowers-jay-smith-mary-willingham-talk-about-the-unc-scandal/

A recent request. SI too...

McCann, Michael Sports Illustrated

"I request copies of records related to expenses, vendors and travel agencies for any foreign exhibition tours by the University of North carolina Chapel Hill's men's basketball team from 2012 to present."

http://publicrecords.unc.edu/public-records/

CoastHeel
Redshirt
127 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Yesterday 12:21 PM

Re: So ... do we know Tokoto finished his schoolwork?

Yes, Tokoto completed his courses. I was at the Ram's Club event in DC on May 7th and Coach Williams said J.P. "did what we needed him to do academically" and the team would have a 1000 APR again this year.

On a separate note, he asked if we knew who the only One and Done player in college basketball was who had ever graduated. He proudly said it was Marvin Williams and was very impressed that he stuck it out for 9 years and got it done.

Depending on the circumstances , Roy either knows exactly what his players do academically or he knows nothing at all. He's said both. In the case of Tokoto , Roy seems to know a lotta detail about JP's classroom performance team APR and even Marvin Williams' too. Pathetic. Only Roy would refer to Marvin's graduation as if it were indicative of unx's commitment to the "student" aspect of "student-athlete." And only the tarhole nation would buy it. #carolinaway

Grain of salt...

WolfPackOldtimer
Bench Warmer
1717 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Yesterday 10:08 PM

I noticed the neighbor no longer has his unc yard flag on display even though his wife's garden flag is still flying. I asked him today was it because of the storm we are having on the coast. He said no, but didn't explain why the flag was no longer displayed. He is a big time (money giving) Ram's Club guy. He makes the drive to Cheater Hill for every football and basketball home game. I think the Ram's Club must have some inside information on what is coming and how soon it is coming. At least I don't have to see that offensive rag each time I leave the house now!

packphinsfan
All-ACC
10416 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:23 AM

I was driving past Chapel Hill yesterday morning on the way back home from some sad family stuff and was flipping the dial trying to find some sports talk. I guess I found a unc homer station. They were talking about the NOA, and said they were expecting within 7 days to have it. Once I started listening to the bias about what they did I guessed who it was and I was right. Art Chansky. He actually said "they did the work assigned to them", and "What are the 53% that took the easy classes going to do if the class is null and void? Not their fault." Anyways, the 7 days is the only thing that was worth hearing.

fletch2727
Noob
232 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 10:16 AM

NOA in 7 days....MMMMM interesting. That must be the "formal" NOA document. unc already knows what's in it and the delay has been unc working the NCAA for less allegations in that document.

Roy told Ingram that they had the NOA in hand weeks ago. The PR semantics around Ingram's statement are predictable. I suspect the unc lawyers took a crack at the NCAA trying to minimize which allegations make the "formal" document.

I am in the camp that believes that unc has worked this "joint investigative process" to the max. unc obviously wants to deal with as many allegations as possible before they are made public......

WolfPackOldtimer
Bench Warmer
1717 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 10:44 AM

This expectation that the "official" NOA is only days away could explain the comments shared with me by unc grads that I have posted in the last week. Something is definitely brewing.

The PR firm has been hard at work for years now. Remember that Ol Roy was the first to use the phrase..."They did the work assigned to them." No assignments = No work.

partizanpack
Message Board WINNER
13689 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 2:18 PM

My source has indicated that a Notice of Allegation was delivered very shortly ago.

slight correction, it is expected early next week.

BlackRazor
Hall of Fame Worthy
55486 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Coming from you this carries extra weight, you're not a poster that comes on this thread with random rumors.

partizanpack
Message Board WINNER
13689 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 2:36 PM

We shall see. I'm not exactly optimistic that it is true. But that's what i've heard.

From the podcast. "Censorship?" "Speaker ban?" The #carolinaway...

Professor Wolf‏@ProfessrWolf

Censorship at unc? "instructor emailed us to say she had been told we could not appear in her class" (40:08)

http://ec12.cdn.cincopa.com/BizTalkuncFrau...e=yes&t=32s

Was a direct order issued to the instructor? If so, where did the order originate? Department Head? Dean of the College? University Provost?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf The instructor was pressured by a superior to dis-invite us, yes. The Speaker Ban lives on in some forms.

Cheating in '98 too. Lulz...

But in all those years, the former star cornerback never, ever gave up on realizing that treasured dream: completing the college education he had started in 1976 at the University of North carolina at Chapel Hill.

When Barden learned this fall that he had succeeded in the last of five independent study courses he took by mail to finish his degree,

With Sunday’s (Dec. 20) mid-winter commencement ceremony in unc-CH’s Dean E. Smith Center, Barden, now a cable television sales representative in Virginia Beach, Va., will earn a bachelor’s degree in leisure studies and recreation administration.

...taking correspondence courses from Chapel Hill while he lived and worked in Virginia,

"carolina football is well respected anywhere you can think of,... "Playing ball at carolina makes you feel like somebody special,

...undertaking the first of the correspondence courses he needed to augment course work he’d already completed as a traditional college student. He took some courses during off-seasons in Canada. Burgess McSwain would not let him forget.

In her view, when the university recruits a student athlete, it is obligated to help him or her graduate.

But so many years into adulthood, a person can forget the discipline required for studying and completing assignments, says Bobbi Owen, associate dean of unc-CH’s College of Arts & Sciences. When Barden called her a little over a year ago, he was discouraged about his uphill struggle.

"I think we were successful in convincing him that he could do it," she says now. "It wouldn’t be easy, but it was possible."

Through five independent studies...

http://www.unc.edu/news/archives/dec98/rbgrad.htm

unx alum Bob Lee...

I’m leaning towards “moderate Clobber” which relies upon one’s definition of “moderate”.

I'm putting ORW's odds to be uncHBkC this time next year as being sorta kinda not too likely. But regardless, his pension will be saved. Pensions are always safe at uncCH. "Tough Love and Consequences" is not practiced within The Flagship.

What happens to Roy and what happens to “the banners” seem to be the two points of major concern for both warring camps. ABCers would like to see The Fighting Fedorians lose a buncha scholarships and a few years bowl bans but would likely give that up to see Roy publicly disemboweled and “those banners” set afire. According to my reliable inside sources THAT might happen ..... or not.

One element that does seem to be in every “reliable inside sources’” report is that Sylvia Hatchell’s Girls’ Basketball program is likely to get a WHAMMO thanks to Jan “Most Ethical” Boxill’s shenanigans over the past decades. That will matter to several thousand girl’s basketball loyalists (including Albert) but won’t register a ripple to either of the apprehensive mobs.

Whatever penalties befall unc Women’s Basketball, one factor is certain – it will NOT affect Jan Boxill’s retirement pension payments for the rest of her life. Jan’s fat pension is as safe and secure as are “Call Me Dickie”, Julius Nyang’oro’s and Deborah Crowder’s. No one need worry that base-level criminals in all this will suffer one iota. Another definition of The carolina Way.

9/11 masterminds and deranged serial killers would qualify for retirement pensions at uncCH. Its the damned thing I've ever heard of. Howsabout you?

NOTE: I realize those unc pensions are protected by state employee laws... but I just don't like to see "the guilty" prosper.

http://www.bobleesays.com/Blogs/BobLee-Says/May-2015/From-A-Clobber-to-A-Wrist-Slap.aspx

20+ years of the most egregious cheating in NCAA history but let's pat unx on the head for this one particular moment of "compliance." LMMFAO...

Luke DeCock ‏@LukeDeCock

On Chris Hawkins: Jabari Price reported him to the school, as instructed. Points to improved culture of compliance in unc football program.

unx alum Bob Lee dropped these into his latest blog entry...

By comparison, Roy is now 65 and Coach K is 68. Neither appears ready to retire although Roy’s future may not be his to control.

Only Job (the one in the Bible) could fully appreciate the past twelve months for Roy Williams. He has lost three of his closest friends and confidants – Ted Seagraves – DES – Bill Guthridge. It isn’t like Roy had that long a list of close friends to begin with. His wife has health issues. And, of course, there’s “the junk” as Roy likes to call his part of The Great Unpleasantness. If Roy’s program gets “clobbered” as ABCers fervently hope.... Roy’s coaching future will be murky at best.

“Reliable inside sources” are still predicting INCOMING from the NCAA sooner rather than later.

http://www.bobleesays.com/Blogs/BobLee-Says/May-2015/He-Loved-Popcorn-and-The-Cardinals.aspx

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT